• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Time to kick some Danish ass
iwSnH.gif

As long as it will be Kvist kicking it. :(

Not entirely agreed tbf. Calibre has nothing to do with it really, its the current situation the club is in that you should look to when figuring out what your season's aims should be. For a team of Liverpool's current standing, CL qualification would be a huge achievement, and something for us to celebrate.

I would agree though that Arsenal, being established CL qualifiers, should be looking at qualification and decent runs in the CL, FA Cup and League Cup by now. Getting knocked out early and scraping fourth is not completely satisfying I'd imagine.

Still can't believe how badly things went wrong in 09/10, and last season
I think calibre does come into it though. If you look at Arsenal, they're a club who could push themselves further but they are playing it very safe and settling for being near the top, but not at the top.

And for a club of Arsenal's size, tradition and potential - that is very underwhelming.

If Liverpool get back to the CL, you wouldn't expect them to rest on their laurels and think, well we got here and we're making good money and having a few good nights every season. You'd expect the club to want to take the next step and kick on.

It seems like the people in charge at Arsenal aren't interested in that. And that's not what a "big" club should be doing.

Clegg

I think if he leaves we should get one.

I would still rather a CM than a winger, but assuming Nani leaves we should use whatever money we get from him to buy another winger, and use the budget set aside for a CM.

We would have Valencia and Young, and then the likes of Rooney, Welbeck and Kagawa who CAN operate from wide areas, but I would still like another out and out winger or at least somebody with raw pace. We need to rely less on width, for sure, but in the PL and especially at Old Trafford, pace kills teams. This isn't a technical league, pace in attack gets goals and it's also worth having players who can get beyond defences in wide areas.

That depends on how much we have budgeted for the summer. We don't know what goes on in the upper echelon at United but I can't imagine the Glazers would be wild about spending millions more on players, especially when we spent close to £50m during the summer.

For all we know, United could have £15-20m budgeted for next summer and whatever else we can get in player sales. If thats the case then we'd probably have enough to sign a top class winger or a top class CM. But not both.

Salvadora

Not entirely agreed tbf. Calibre has nothing to do with it really, its the current situation the club is in that you should look to when figuring out what your season's aims should be. For a team of Liverpool's current standing, CL qualification would be a huge achievement, and something for us to celebrate.

I would agree though that Arsenal, being established CL qualifiers, should be looking at qualification and decent runs in the CL, FA Cup and League Cup by now. Getting knocked out early and scraping fourth is not completely satisfying I'd imagine.

Still can't believe how badly things went wrong in 09/10, and last season
One of the most frustrating things is watching Arsenal's decline right before our very eyes. Selling our best players year in year out, tempered expectations etc. It's enough to make me feel sick. The last two seasons have been incredibly depressing and this season doesn't look any better.

operon

I think calibre does come into it though. If you look at Arsenal, they're a club who could push themselves further but they are playing it very safe and settling for being near the top, but not at the top.

And for a club of Arsenal's size, tradition and potential - that is very underwhelming.

If Liverpool get back to the CL, you wouldn't expect them to rest on their laurels and think, well we got here and we're making good money and having a few good nights every season. You'd expect the club to want to take the next step and kick on.

It seems like the people in charge at Arsenal aren't interested in that. And that's not what a "big" club should be doing.

It seems like the attitude at Arsenal is as long as they make the top 4 and get CL qualification there happy to coast along on that which is not great for a club like Arsenal, fine for say City

That depends on how much we have budgeted for the summer. We don't know what goes on in the upper echelon at United but I can't imagine the Glazers would be wild about spending millions more on players, especially when we spent close to £50m during the summer.

For all we know, United could have £15-20m budgeted for next summer and whatever else we can get in player sales. If thats the case then we'd probably have enough to sign a top class winger or a top class CM. But not both.
Yeah I feel as though after spending £70m net over the last two season's we are due to have a quiet summer next time out. Especially since this year's accounts will be really bad after going out of the CL so early.

But I guess we'll see. I think if we win something big this year, we will spend again because we'll have the security of a winning side and also the massive sponsorship deals coming in.

Chevy and Nike will probably be adding a minimum of £50m more to our revenue streams in the coming years.

I'd be happy with a class CM and a prospect winger. Wouldn't at all want to go the other way.

And the CM will be pricey as fuck.
Really doesn't have to be though. Alot of CM's who would have made a big difference for us have moved for less than £15m recently. Strootman for example would cost about ~£15m I think. He's ideal.

juanpablo

Banned
My local club was initiated as an ego-stroking project by a bloated right-wing mining tycoon.

Fucked if I was going to give them anything. They've now folded (after their licence was withdrawn by the league) and good fucking riddance.

If you want ego-stroking projects then the LoI is for you! google Dublin City FC, and Galway United, who had Nick Leeson running the show for them for a a while with predictably hilarious results!

YES THAT NICK LEESON!

Salvadora

Arsenal are not even creating chances these days, let alone scoring them. It's fucking disheartening. Controlling so much of the ball yet doing fuck all with it, how is that possible?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is it a moral obligation? Why waste valuable hours of your life watching something clearly not as enjoyable?

I don't think so but going to matches and being a part of the atmosphere is a much better experience to me than watching it on TV or on a crappy stream.

I'm an Everton fan but DC United will always come first for me.

The whole appeal of supporting a local side is that you're supporting players of your local community and club that is visibly active within it etc. But in reality clubs aren't that active in local areas and most players are from elsewhere so you cant relate with them either. I'd wager most people don't know who their neighbour is nowadays so sitting in the terrace at your local would feel no more comfortable than going elsewhere. I imagine there is no real sense of 'community' in largely populated urban towns. You have no real attachment.

A Local club is meant to signify something more than just mere proximity.

Speak for yourself. Tottenham do a ton of work for the local community.

One of the most frustrating things is watching Arsenal's decline right before our very eyes. Selling our best players year in year out, tempered expectations etc. It's enough to make me feel sick. The last two seasons have been incredibly depressing and this season doesn't look any better.

The thing is, clubs like Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle would be happy to do what you're doing for 2 or 3 seasons, establishing ourselves as consistent CL qualifiers, often getting to the last 16/quarters. But there comes a point where you have to kick on, even if that means spending money on turning good players into world class players.

Do you think that will happen with the board/management combination at Arsenal. Seems like the board and Wenger have come to some sort of agreement which is good for the long term finances, but terrible for your hopes of pushing on as a club.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but this is how I imagine it happens

1 - Board lets Wenger know he has a very limited budget, regardless of sales
2 - Wenger is tasked with CL qualification, no more no less
3 - Wenger agrees to low aims, as long as his job is secure while Arsenal are close to 4th
4 - Wenger acts like funds are available, but he has no need for them

It reminds me of a long-term version of Hodgson's expectation-lowering

edit: Think its time to start betting on things that are more likely to win, just to recoup some of my costs. In the past month, I've bet £70, and haven't won anything. Got £30 worth of free bets left though on betfair (£20) and bwin (£10)

elsk

Banned
I don't think so but going to matches and being a part of the atmosphere is a much better experience to me than watching it on TV or on a crappy stream.

I agree! I would love go to the stadium each week and support Real España but the current circumstances in the country and the stadium being like a post-holocaust place stop me from going :(

juanpablo

Banned

I'm a Villa fan as well, I go to plenty of games and had a season ticket over the years, as well as watching them all the time on streams. But my team are Cork City FC, that's who I am because that's where I'm from and that'll never change!

Question for Man Utd and Liverpool supporters who are from the NW of England, does it ever piss you off with the amount of daytrippers who come from abroad to watch your club?

Salvadora

The thing is, clubs like Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle would be happy to do what you're doing for 2 or 3 seasons, establishing ourselves as consistent CL qualifiers, often getting to the last 16/quarters. But there comes a point where you have to kick on, even if that means spending money on turning good players into world class players.

Do you think that will happen with the board/management combination at Arsenal. Seems like the board and Wenger have come to some sort of agreement which is good for the long term finances, but terrible for your hopes of pushing on as a club.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but this is how I imagine it happens

1 - Board lets Wenger know he has a very limited budget, regardless of sales
2 - Wenger is tasked with CL qualification, no more no less
3 - Wenger agrees to low aims, as long as his job is secure while Arsenal are close to 4th
4 - Wenger acts like funds are available, but he has no need for them

It reminds me of a long-term version of Hodgson's expectation-lowering
I don't see much that I would disagree with here, Wenger has to be taking the flak for the limited transfer funds. I mean, there's no way he would impose that upon himself? But even that aside, Arsenal have had a goalkeeping problem for years, one that it wouldn't take breaking the bank to solve yet they haven't done a thing. We missed out on Mata because they wouldn't cough up the extra million for him. It doesn't sound like Arsenal are in such a precarious financial state that they can't solve existing problems within the squad for a relatively low price. I blame Wenger for that.

Timurid

This loyalty to your local club is a British thing innit? I'm not going to force myself on a club because I'm geographically bound to it. There are no rules or taboos when it comes to sports, support whoever the fuck you enjoy watching.

Unless it's Inter, it's frowned upon.
What a typical juve fan.

operon

If you want ego-stroking projects then the LoI is for you! google Dublin City FC, and Galway United, who had Nick Leeson running the show for them for a a while with predictably hilarious results!

YES THAT NICK LEESON!

My proper local team if I was at home, club well in the wilderness there

Messi

I've been to 7 barca matches over the past year. Can I consider them local? I even have a bar I drink in.

Napoli will beat pana

juanpablo

Banned
My proper local team if I was at home, club well in the wilderness there

They not even in the league anymore operon! Thanks Nick Leeson. Mervue Utd & Salthill Devon/Galway took their place. Their supporters trust (GUST) are hoping to bring GU back into the LoI next year, but apparently there's a lot of politics in Galway football preventing this.

So much so the FAI had to commission a report into it!

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/airtricity-league/news/102804.html

Dam shame that GU are gone from the league, great supporters, decent ground apparently (never been there myself).

confuziz

Banned
My fault, im in the train right now. Yeah, i meant lazio. Guess i will pass on this one then.

Yeah. Italian teams usually don't give a shit about the EL but Panathinaikos sucks so... =P

Same with Spurs. It is likely they will lose to such a shitty team because they will field a B-team.

jtb

Banned
I don't see much that I would disagree with here, Wenger has to be taking the flak for the limited transfer funds. I mean, there's no way he would impose that upon himself? But even that aside, Arsenal have had a goalkeeping problem for years, one that it wouldn't take breaking the bank to solve yet they haven't done a thing. We missed out on Mata because they wouldn't cough up the extra million for him. It doesn't sound like Arsenal are in such a precarious financial state that they can't solve existing problems within the squad for a relatively low price. I blame Wenger for that.

Agreed. It took an 8-2 defeat for Wenger to realize he might want to buy a couple reinforcements and the ones he bought were, apart from Arteta (who is fantastic, but if it were a choice between him and Mata, I'd take Mata any day) and Mertesacker, fucking awful. Park barely played, Santos is complete and utter shit, and we paid over the odds for both of them. If Wenger wasn't so fucking stubborn, we could've gotten Enrique, Mata, Mertesacker and some other player (maybe just keep Bendtner as a back-up, he's probably a better striker than Park anyways) and avoided much of the fucking disaster that was last season. And while the Ox is great, he cost 12m—you're basically just buying potential at that point; you're telling me that it was more important to buy him than it was to buy a proven defender or GK... or, hell, a proven, world class midfielder in the form of Mata?

Then he refuses to buy a DM/CM (or even loan Sahin), instead choosing to rely on Diaby. It's just baffling.

Daily Mail reporting that Blackburn could go for Redknapp.

I would've thought we was nailed on for the QPR job whenever Hughes gets sacked. He loves those kinds of jobs anyways and we know the owners will invest.

operon

They not even in the league anymore operon! Thanks Nick Leeson. Mervue Utd & Salthill Devon/Galway took their place. Their supporters trust (GUST) are hoping to bring GU back into the LoI next year, but apparently there's a lot of politics in Galway football preventing this.

So much so the FAI had to commission a report into it!

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassroots/airtricity-league/news/102804.html

Dam shame that GU are gone from the league, great supporters, decent ground apparently (never been there myself).

Ground is good been there once, 2 years I think a friendly against Liverpool Reserve, Its a pity whats happened to it

Top Bottom