• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Clegg

I've been to 7 barca matches over the past year. Can I consider them local? I even have a bar I drink in.

Napoli will beat pana

I wouldn't call you "local local" but from reading this thread you can obviously tell that you're an avid fan.

Bumhead

Banned
The whole appeal of supporting a local side is that you're supporting players of your local community and club that is visibly active within it etc. But in reality clubs aren't that active in local areas and most players are from elsewhere so you cant relate with them either. I'd wager most people don't know who their neighbour is nowadays so sitting in the terrace at your local would feel no more comfortable than going elsewhere. I imagine there is no real sense of 'community' in largely populated urban towns. You have no real attachment.

A Local club is meant to signify something more than just mere proximity.

Disagree.

Sheffield Wednesday is Sheffield Wednesday. The fans come from all across the country and sometimes further beyond, but we're all Wednesday. Gary Madine is from Newcastle. Dave Jones is from Liverpool. Paul Corry is from Ireland. Reda Johnson is from Benin. Rodri is from Barcelona. Milan Mandaric is from Serbia. Once they all pull on the shirt or stand on the touchline or sit in the stands, they're all Wednesday.

As a supporter of a club which has had to and still does rely almost entirely on its sense of local community, the idea that "not knowing your neighbour" detracts from that is a fallacy. Everybody who plays for a football club is pulling for the same cause and everybody in the terrace is rooting for the same team. Part of the beauty of going to watch live football is that sense of shared experience. I've been on terraces before and ended up charging around hugging total strangers. It doesn't matter who they are or what walk of life they're from because they are your club just like you are. That's why I follow football.

Clegg

I missed that post, but as a life long member of Irish GAF
wel maybe not GAF itself
I stand with Clegg and am prepared to wear any t-shirts in support of Irish and Scottish GAF

I'll bring the flasks of tae and ham sandwiches.

Tae is how we say tea in Ireland.

Meier

This guy in the introduce yourself thread should be buddies with Clegg. If he were a Man U fan too, they could be brothers!

Sephiroth503 said:
Hello all!

My name's Damien, 23 from Dublin, Ireland. Work as a Structural Engineer in Dublin.

Studied in UCD for Degree and Masters, obviously a gamer, Leinster Rugby Fan. Quite enjoy my films and tv as well!

Disagree.

Sheffield Wednesday is Sheffield Wednesday. The fans come from all across the country and sometimes further beyond, but we're all Wednesday. Gary Madine is from Newcastle. Dave Jones is from Liverpool. Paul Corry is from Ireland. Reda Johnson is from Benin. Rodri is from Barcelona. Milan Mandaric is from Serbia. Once they all pull on the shirt or stand on the touchline or sit in the stands, they're all Wednesday.

As a supporter of a club which has had to and still does rely almost entirely on its sense of local community, the idea that "not knowing your neighbour" detracts from that is a fallacy. Everybody who plays for a football club is pulling for the same cause and everybody in the terrace is rooting for the same team. Part of the beauty of going to watch live football is that sense of shared experience. I've been on terraces before and ended up charging around hugging total strangers. It doesn't matter who they are or what walk of life they're from because they are your club just like you are. That's why I follow football.
I was in the Stretford End when Rooney scored that bicycle kick.

Somebody decided to kick my back in celebration :S

juanpablo

Banned
I missed that post, but as a life long member of Irish GAF
wel maybe not GAF itself
I stand with Clegg and am prepared to wear any t-shirts in support of Irish and Scottish GAF

Though Irish, I'd much rather wear the t- shirts of UK or Spanish Gaf. They're much better quality you see?

Slizz

I was in the Stretford End when Rooney scored that bicycle kick.

Somebody decided to kick my back in celebration :S

Lol. Are there problems with in-fighting at matches? Last few College American Football games I've went to, fans of the same team as me have wanted to pick fights with me for little to no reason.

Meier

Lol. Are there problems with in-fighting at matches? Last few College American Football games I've went to, fans of the same team as me have wanted to pick fights with me for little to no reason.

You're a Canes fan. No offense to you, but your fanbase is made up of the dregs of the society.. there's your reason.

Slizz

You're a Canes fan. No offense to you, but your fanbase is made up of the dregs of the society.. there's your reason.

Every team has them. I don't expect to go to a Giants Dodgers baseball game and end up a vegetable but that shit happened.

EDIT: And it's not like it was a drunk college kid or the person you are describing that started a fight. It was a grown man who on the surface looked completely normal

Timurid

I get beer poured on my cheesehead everytime I go to soldier field.

Meier

Every team has them. I don't expect to go to a Giants Dodgers baseball game and end up a vegetable but that shit happened.

EDIT: And it's not like it was a drunk college kid or the person you are describing that started a fight. It was a grown man who on the surface looked completely normal

Based on the vitriol in this thread, I'd liken Hurricanes fans to Leeds supporters. It was always the absolute worst when they came to Tallahassee.. they ALWAYS wanted to fight, regardless of what the score was and how old they were. Just a nightmare. I remember some years back seeing a video on the net of Canes fans getting in a huge bust-up amongst themselves when we were wooping them.

Feorax

Just seen who has the most assists so far in the Europa Leage and did a spit take.

Hint: His name is likely to be found in envelopes.

Slizz

Based on the vitriol in this thread, I'd liken Hurricanes fans to Leeds supporters. It was always the absolute worst when they came to Tallahassee.. they ALWAYS wanted to fight, regardless of what the score was and how old they were. Just a nightmare.

Lol cmon man, you think I didn't have my fair share of problems with FSU fans last week? Miami fans at GT, UNC, Clemson, etc I guarentee are less hostile. It's the rivalry that makes it like that, Liverpool United I'd compare it to.

juanpablo

Banned
Hows thats irish made computer/mobile or whatever your posting on working

An interesting, revealing viewpoint, to you football is a product to be consumed, like Coca-Cola or Microsoft. To me following my team is something more then that. I suppose thats the ultimate difference between daytrippers/barstoolers and LoI fans.

An interesting, revealing viewpoint, to you football is a product to be consumed, like Coca-Cola or Microsoft. To me following my team is something more then that. I suppose thats the ultimate difference between daytrippers/barstoolers and LoI fans.

#TruePassion
#FuckPlasticFans
#ACAB

I do somewhat agree with your overall point though, I follow Chelsea and Palermo pretty closely but it will never be the same as Copenhagen to me.

operon

Obviously you never heard of fanboys, I just think your argument that all you can support is your local team is weak. A person can have many reason for supporting something.

Clegg

You're talking some amount of bollocks.

juanpablo

Banned
#TruePassion
#FuckPlasticFans
#ACAB

I do somewhat agree with your overall point though, I follow Chelsea and Palermo pretty closely but it will never be the same as Copenhagen to me.

Well I wouldn't use those pejorative terms myself, shur I'm a plastic fan myself when I head over to Villa Park semi-regularly.

Wilbur

Banned
Juanpablo, it's nice that you support your local team, of course it is. But I wouldn't say you support them any more than Clegg does United. I wouldn't say that Awesome Animals is any less of a fan for supporting Villa from America, or Morsel is less of a fan than Arnie because he's in Japan.

At least something is being done about it.

Good.

United haven't been involved in a goalless game for 73 matches.

We're Keegan's Newcastle.

Top Bottom