• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juanpablo, it's nice that you support your local team, of course it is. But I wouldn't say you support them any more than Clegg does United. I wouldn't say that Awesome Animals is any less of a fan for supporting Villa from America, or Morsel is less of a fan than Arnie because he's in Japan.

AA, Morsel, Salazar, Meier and many others are pretty hardcore. It takes more dedication to follow the PL from overseas. Plastic fans my ass.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
United haven't been involved in a goalless game for 73 matches.

0-0 at White Hart Lane in 2011?

Team to face Maribor:

Lloris, Walker, Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Sandro, Lennon (c), Townsend and Defoe

Dempsey on the bench, Dawson misses out through illness.

Arnie

AA, Morsel, Salazar and many others are pretty hardcore. It takes more dedication to follow the PL from overseas. Plastic fans my ass.

Aye, trying to watch the NFL this year has been a real task; hard to maintain my attention when it's four in the morning and I've got to be up in a few hours. Maximum respect to them. Especially Salazar because he has to watch Cleverley wonky donk around.

Yen

Aye, trying to watch the NFL this year has been a real task; hard to maintain my attention when it's four in the morning and I've got to be up in a few hours. Maximum respect to them. Especially Salazar because he has to watch Cleverley wonky donk around.

To be fair, NFL is extremely boring, no wonder it's a struggle to stay awake.

Wilbur

Banned

I take it back, Morsel is better than Arnie.

Wilbur

Banned
0-0 at White Hart Lane in 2011?

Team to face Maribor:

Lloris, Walker, Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Sandro, Lennon (c), Townsend and Defoe

Dempsey on the bench, Dawson misses out through illness.

Will be good to see Naughton, I thought he was good last year.

Hopefully Lloris is first choice now. Can't have a Chelsea episode again; Spurs need to get that fourth place or I'll sob.

Totally flopped following NFL last weekend.

Apparently the ban for those Serbian players and coaches have been handed down by the Serbian FA itself. UEFA hearing still to come.

Anyone remember the days when the internet was shit, and you'd go on holiday and have to wait for the English papers to tell you the football results, because fuck phoning from abroad

juanpablo

Banned
Juanpablo, it's nice that you support your local team, of course it is. But I wouldn't say you support them any more than Clegg does United. I wouldn't say that Awesome Animals is any less of a fan for supporting Villa from America, or Morsel is less of a fan than Arnie because he's in Japan.

It's not about who's a better supporter Wilbury, its about how Irish 'football fans' consistently denigrate their own league and choose to support English teams instead. It doesn't appear to happen in other countries like Norway where supporting the EPL goes hand in hand with following your local team.

As I said earlier, the mental gymnastics used by people to justify NOT to go and follow their own league is sometimes amusing but generally tiresome.

juanpablo

Banned
Obviously you never heard of fanboys, I just think your argument that all you can support is your local team is weak. A person can have many reason for supporting something.

I don't think I've ever made that argument though, indeed as mentioned I have a fondness for foreign football myself.

pulga

Banned
I support my local club and I quite like it because they use local players, unlike other teams in the league. But I stopped going to the stadium a few years ago, the whole leagues is going to the shit because they don't want to invest in stadiums, training grounds, etc. And still they have the balls to pay 10,000$USD salaries to foreign veteran shit players and keep saying that the fans are killing the local league. Fuck them

I'll never understand our obsession with bringing in old 5th rate South American players.

Wilbur

Banned
It's not about who's a better supporter Wilbury, its about how Irish 'football fans' consistently denigrate their own league and choose to support English teams instead. It doesn't appear to happen in other countries like Norway where supporting the EPL goes hand in hand with following your local team.

As I said earlier, the mental gymnastics used by people to justify NOT to go and follow their own league is sometimes amusing but generally tiresome.

If this is your point, then the prawn sandwich brigade stuff is unnecessary, really.

Your post about the LOI was genuinely interesting, but since then your posts read like you're discrediting Irish fans for who they support. It might not be your intention but its coming off like that.

You support who you support I suppose. There is a lot of glory hunters but if Clegg happens to love United and not a LOI team, not much to be done really. It is what it is.

Meier

I don't follow MLS because there isn't a team I care about in it. There are teams in Houston and Dallas, but I have no connection to either city (Austin is about equidistant from both... 3+ hours drive). I always thought about going to Chicago Fire games when I lived there, but the stadium is ~25 miles away and it's an absolute chore to get there unless you have a car which I did not.

If Orlando City (currently 3rd tier, but in line to become an MLS franchise) gets added to the league, I'll definitely follow it much closer through them. I'm really, really hopeful that it pans out.

Blablurn

my local club would be cologne i guess.... naaaaaah :D

my dad is bayern fan since he was in the greek military around the 60s and 70s. he said, they watched their games on tv and so he became a fan. dont forget that bayern won the champions league three times in a row back then.

obviously it influenced me a lot. the first season i can remember where i really entered "the fan being" was 95/96. it was the year of the "dream team" including klinsmann and matthäus. quite ironic that klinsmann became my most hated enemy ever later :D

Sporting's starting 11 against Genk.

Rui Patricio; Cedric, Rojo, Boulahrouz, Insua; Rinaudo, Elias, Schaars; Jeffren, Pranjic and Wolfswinkel.

Game hasn't even started and I'm already depressed about it...
It will be another great opportunity for Jeffren to do his Invisible Man impersonation, he has been perfecting it for the past few games.

Meier

Same here, 7:30 is the earliest a PL game will come on. Love the 2:45 games, on Monday PL and on Tues. Wed. CL.

They obviously start at 6:30 here in Texas although most come on at 9:00. I was in Colorado when City demolished Norwich in March.. the game started at 5:30! I got sick that night and was puking (either food poisoning or altitude sickness) amongst other things so I ended up getting to watch the game, hah.

Top Bottom