• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Salvadora

Actually really excited to see Wilshere back.

He is genuinely a world class player in the making.

Just hope his time out hasn't done too much damage.

Vermaelen was talking about how much he's been bulking up while away & the Mirror was running a story that Wilshere/Frimpong were not taking their day off so they could train. Arsenal sure have some exciting English players at the moment.

Arnie

Definitely.

Suso looks different class. Him and Sterling are a bit ahead of Shelvey I think. Actually I think Suso is the best of the lot at Liverpool, from what I've seen. Sterling does have serious pace but Suso's touch is magic.

I'm in the minority within the Liverpool ranks but I put Suso ahead of both, but Shelvey ahead of Sterling. I want Sterling to be class, I really do, but he's still incredibly rough around the edges. He's not able to join in games as much as I'd like at the moment, and he needs to get in the gym.

Cheers for this mate, I saw Kristian pimping it on Twitter but forgot to read it.

K1LLER7

Definitely.

Suso looks different class. Him and Sterling are a bit ahead of Shelvey I think. Actually I think Suso is the best of the lot at Liverpool, from what I've seen. Sterling does have serious pace but Suso's touch is magic.
Now to make 3 to 4 downing-esque signings to balance things out.

Clegg

Not sure where I stand on Wilshere tbh.

He was brilliant against Barca but I think he's become a better player during his injury, if you know what I mean.

I think he's been out for so long that people are overrating him

I've really missed Wilshere, he really was brilliant in his full debut season, highlight was definitely the two games against Barcelona. He matched up to, at that time, the three best players in the world, and was still only 19. That is incredible.

How many other players do you see pulling off a world-class performance like that at 19 against the best team in Europe?

Vermaelen was talking about how much he's been bulking up while away & the Mirror was running a story that Wilshere/Frimpong were not taking their day off so they could train. Arsenal sure have some exciting English players at the moment.
That's good to hear.

I so badly want Wilshere to just be absolutely amazing. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I think he could massive for England and as much I just want to laugh at England for being useless I really want us to be good.

I'm in the minority within the Liverpool ranks but I put Suso ahead of both, but Shelvey ahead of Sterling. I want Sterling to be class, I really do, but he's still incredibly rough around the edges. He's not able to join in games as much as I'd like at the moment, and he needs to get in the gym.
As a winger Sterling will be inconsistent though. They tend to take the longest to develop and the onus is always on them to do something when they get the ball. Defo needs to bulk up though, ridiculously small.

Not sure where I stand on Wilshere tbh.

He was brilliant against Barca but I think he's become a better player during his injury, if you know what I mean.

I actually think Wilshere was like, in the top 5 young players in the world.

Honestly he was so good. I saw him at Old Trafford in the FA Cup. Arsenal were beaten well but Wilshere was so good that day, you could just tell from his touch he was a talent.

And the last game I saw him play, the one vs Switzerland at Wembley, I don't even think England won. Wilshere was incredible. He was leading the national team, dominating the midfield, getting on the ball, making tackles. At 19. If he gets back to that he will be great.

Arnie

Could be the case with some, but certainly isn't with me.

I remember being blown away by his performance against Barca; as Freewheelin said, he stood up to a pair of the best midfielders in the world and didn't look out of place.

Messi

Fucking Marcelo.

About to go bungee jumping. First time. Wish me luck. If I die, please throw my ashes in Messis face and hopefully Ill blind that motherfucker from the grave.

Anyone throws ashes in my face I'll fucking stab them cunts.

Edit: watching the Ice T doc, The Art of Rap this shit is fascinating. I hope Method Man and RZA are in it. Redman was in it for a bit.

Can't feel anything but worry that he wont live up to his pre-injury form. He's been out for a really long time during one of the most important phases of a young footballer's development.

I hope I'm wrong

I need Fluminese to win this game, but they are 0-1 down with 20 minutes to go. They've had x6 the amount of attempts at goal than the opponents

I feel sad :(

jtb

Banned
Big question mark for Wilshere is which player's place he'll take. He played quite a bit deeper in that breakthrough season than his natural position is, iirc, and he'll certainly have lost a bit of pace having spent a year and some out. But if Wenger is giving him the number 10 shirt, will he play deeper with Arteta or will he play further up the pitch where Cazorla plays? In the short term... Diaby replacement I guess :lol. Interesting to see what Wenger thinks his long-term best position is.

FootballFan

Wilshere is awesome, he was really good against us. Our games against Arsenal usually are so entertaining.

But guys, don't forget about Muniain. Still only 19 lol. What a player.

Even without his exceptional ability on the ball, Wilshere is already better than most Premier League midfielders because of his uncanny ability to be stood in space for his teammates 99% of the time. Before the ball's even reached him, he knows what he's going to do with it, and where he's either going with it, or where he's going to pisition himself as soon as the ball's left his foot

And I don't mean finding space the way Downing does it, where it seems like he actively seeks out positions from which he won't be expected to try anything productive.

Clegg

United seem to have a bit of a talent gap atm. Arsenal have Wilshere, Liverpool have Sterling, Suso and Shelvey. We have no academy players around the 18-20 year old bracket that actually look like making the step up. Tunicliffe, the Keane brothers and Brady all look like decent players but I don't think they'll make it at United. We had Pogba but his agent was a cock and we didn't play him anyway.

We have Powell and Henriquez but they're not from the academy and they've not been at United long enough for us to know how good they'll be. Januzaj and Mats Daehli are very highly rated but Uniteds academy coaches but they're only 16-17. Will be a few years before they're ready to make the step up.

And then there is Andreas Pereira who people are raving about. But he's only just turned 16.

United seem to have a bit of a talent gap atm. Arsenal have Wilshere, Liverpool have Sterling, Suso and Shelvey. We have no players around the academy players around the 18-20 year old bracket that actually look like making the step up. Tunicliffe, the Keane brothers and Brady all look like decent players but I don't think thwy'll make it at United.We had Pogba but his agent was a cock and we didn't play him anyway.

We have Powell and Henriquez but they're not from the academy. Januzaj and Mats Daehli are very highly rated but Uniteds academy coaches but they're only 16-17. Will be a few years before they're ready to make the step up.

Tbf, the three you mentioned were very highly rated before we bought them

K1LLER7

United seem to have a bit of a talent gap atm. Arsenal have Wilshere, Liverpool have Sterling, Suso and Shelvey. We have no academy players around the 18-20 year old bracket that actually look like making the step up. Tunicliffe, the Keane brothers and Brady all look like decent players but I don't think they'll make it at United. We had Pogba but his agent was a cock and we didn't play him anyway.

We have Powell and Henriquez but they're not from the academy. Januzaj and Mats Daehli are very highly rated but Uniteds academy coaches but they're only 16-17. Will be a few years before they're ready to make the step up.
Hope Pettruci can stay clear of injuries. He looks a good player.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Is it overrated young English midfielder time in here? Josh Mceachran is going to be the new Messi.

lol

Wilshere is awesome, he was really good against us. Our games against Arsenal usually are so entertaining.

But guys, don't forget about Muniain. Still only 19 lol. What a player.

Real talk. He'll look good in a Barca kit. I cant wait to see Llorente playing up front. I can finally put crosses in in FIFA!

Can't even begin to explain how big a loss Ravel and Pogba were. Clev and Welbeck are doing pretty well in the first team, those two would have been even better.

Although strictly speaking, of all the names mentioned, only Wilshere and Ravel are proper academy developed player.

For realz though, Adnan. Pinning my hopes on that boy.

K1LLER7

Can't even begin to explain how big a loss Ravel and Pogba were. Clev and Welbeck are doing pretty well in the first team, those two would have been even better.

Although strictly speaking, of all the names mentioned, only Wilshere and Ravel are proper academy developed player.

For realz though, Adnan. Pinning my hopes on that boy.
No love for Petrucci?

20121015-tuw16h8fc7617rn8hsqi1gdb88.jpg

Those cards are for the opponents lol

Arnie

What do Sterling, Suso, and Shelvey all have in common?

They were all bought by Rafa.

Keep telling me he's shit in the transfer market and I'll keep laughing.

I think Frimpong has the potential to be quite decent, I'm sure a few in here will disagree with me though.

If he sorts his attitude out, yea.

jtb

Banned
I think Frimpong has the potential to be quite decent, I'm sure a few in here will disagree with me though.

I was not impressed with the bits I saw of him last season, but then again, very few players impressed last season. He looks to be a lot like Jenkinson; he's got the physical build down, he's got the skills (for the most part), so if he can make the mental jump and improve his decision making considerably and improve half as much as Jenkinson did... then he might be a solid DM. We'll see. I like his energy, his aggression, I don't like his love of flying into tackles and piss poor positioning (Song-esque, really).

What do Sterling, Suso, and Shelvey all have in common?

They were all bought by Rafa.

Keep telling me he's shit in the transfer market and I'll keep laughing.

While I don't think Rafa was terrible in the transfer market (like most managers, he had his successes and his failures), it's a little bit early to call those three anything close to a success just yet...

You have a point with Jonjo, but Raheem and Suso were only 16 when we got them. Liverpool should definitely take a lot of credit for how they've progressed through to the first team

They were very young, and the Liverpool staff do deserve a lot of the praise, but Sterling in particular had been earmarked for stardom by the age of 15 at QPR I think.

I hope Ian Harte plays next weekend

K1LLER7

Hard to say now. He was looking very good but then he had 2 years of injuries so who knows. 21 years old now. He is too good for the youth and reserve levels so he needs first team minutes and yeah...not sure he will get that.
Next season could be his time, especially with Giggs and Scholes likely to be retiring and it's not certain Fergie will buy a CM.

Clegg

No love for Petrucci?

I don't think he'll make it at United. He's basically missed two years due to injury so he's miles behind his development curve.

It's a shame too as you can see that he's a very classy footballer. He's 21 now so you'd think he'd be sent out on loan which is what SAF usually does with young players.

Clubs do deserve credit for bringing the player through from age 16/17 but it's not the same as bringing a player through from their early teens.

By 16/17 it's pretty much already decided if the player is going to be good enough or not - at least technically.

Top Bottom