• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

I agree that last season was a failure. But when you look at it objectively we were shit for 90% of all our matches. I can't really be that surprised at our failure to win the league when I think about how bad we actually performed. I was upset at the manner in which we lost the league but I definitely wasn't surprised by our failure.

I'm not sure we'll win the league this season but I'm pleased that we may have found a solution to our midfield problems. The Newcastle performance was Uniteds best in quite a while. Now we just need to sort out our defence. A new CM is still needed too. Scholes and Giggs will be gone at the end of the season imo. We need to bolster our numbers. And he needs to be decent too. We can't just buy a player for the sake of it.
That we were shit/dull for so much of the season is the biggest negative though. If we had played well and lost out, it might have been harder to take, but it would have at least been a big positive. Of course we did have some bad injuries and quite a few young players involved so it was a good effort, I guess. But that doesn't really count for much.

I'm not convinced we have a solution to the midfield problem yet tbh. Newcastle managed quite well against us when they put a 3rd man in the middle of the park. We were better, for sure, but we've got some way to go yet. The balance was wrong last weekend, for me.

Smalling should be back now though! That is gonna help alot I reckon. Young should be back too, earn us a few pens hopefully.

The Mirror reckon we are going to offer Clev a 5 year 80k per week contract.

80k. Per. Week.

That has to be bullshit. I'm sure we gave him a new contract last season.

Yen

The Mirror reckon we are going to offer Clev a 5 year 80k per week contract.

80k. Per. Week.

That has to be bullshit. I'm sure we gave him a new contract last season.

article-1272443087878-09545840000005DC-302899_636x300.jpg

Shelvey would've been 16/17 when this photo was taken

K1LLER7

That we were shit/dull for so much of the season is the biggest negative though. If we had played well and lost out, it might have been harder to take, but it would have at least been a big positive. Of course we did have some bad injuries and quite a few young players involved so it was a good effort, I guess. But that doesn't really count for much.

I'm not convinced we have a solution to the midfield problem yet tbh. Newcastle managed quite well against us when they put a 3rd man in the middle of the park. We were better, for sure, but we've got some way to go yet. The balance was wrong last weekend, for me.

Smalling should be back now though! That is gonna help alot I reckon. Young should be back too, earn us a few pens hopefully.
Let RVP play a lone role up front with Shinji and Rooney behind him. If Fergie wants to play Welbeck, I'd rather he play on the wing than Kagawa.

Ando, Carrick, Cleverly midfield should be good enough to cover the defence and hold the ball. Scholes would replace either Ando or Clev. But I'd rather he come on in the 2nd half when teams tire or start against the lower placed teams.

Let RVP play a lone role up front with Shinji and Rooney behind him. If Fergie wants to play Welbeck, I'd rather he play on the wing than Kagawa.

Ando, Carrick, Cleverly midfield should be good enough to cover the defence and hold the ball. Scholes would replace either Ando or Clev. But I'd rather he come on in the 2nd half when teams tire or start against the lower placed teams.
Yeah I'd like to see something like that but tbh I'm not sure how well it will work. We might be stronger through the middle but I can imagine us getting very narrow and stuck.

But the flat 4-4-2 with high wingers is definitely not working so yeah why not.

Clegg

Newcastle certainly looked better after adding an extra man in midfield but you have to remember that Cabaye/Tiote are one of the best partnerships in the league. The fact that we dealt with them so well is an encouraging sign for me.

And even when Newcastle started controlling the game, they never actually looked like creating chances apart from the blunders of De Gea. Our midfield was helped by Rooney and Welbeck tracking back often which pleased me as it was an acknowledgement by SAF that he'd gotten his tactics horribly wrong for the Spurs game.

We're obviously going to lack width with this formation, as you've said already. But it's a damn sight better than watching us get blown to pieces in midfield.

K1LLER7

Yeah I'd like to see something like that but tbh I'm not sure how well it will work. We might be stronger through the middle but I can imagine us getting very narrow and stuck.

But the flat 4-4-2 with high wingers is definitely not working so yeah why not.
I get where your coming from. Last match when Valencia played on the right in the second half we had the usual width back. To me it Just seems like Fergie has decided Rooney will be the teams 10/ attacking mid.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Whoa Marcelo out for 3 months? Yikes.

Time for Loltrao to step up, or bye bye La Liga.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Seriously yall gonna make me watch that show by some means. Off tomorrow I may check it out. Had dishonored for a a day and didn't even play it lol. I think I installed it on my xbox though

I'm pretty sure it's not true now I think about it.

He got a new contract last year which took him to £30k/£40k.

He's hardly played since then, no way they'd double his wages for no reason.

Fry

Although I will admit that some of the stuff is so ridiculous that if you can't let it slide and just enjoy, it would grate.

While that might be true, it's no different than all the other TV shows. Even Breaking Bad has some mighty ridiculous stuff, but people choose to ignore it because the show has a lot of other redeeming qualities. But isn't that the case with Homeland?

Homeland-GAF is really annoying. 'I'll drop the show if X doesn't happen next week.' way to be tolerant, eh? Fucking pathetic.

-_-~

pappe

:lol:lol:lol

United paying Cleverley £80K a week, whilst we pay Shelvey less than half of that. Amazing.
I don't understand the Shelvey hype. Its even worse than Toms hype.
Clev has atleast had 2 seasons at the top level Shelvey has started like 2 games for Liverpool? How can u compare the 2?

jtb

Banned
Its weird people who like the show just moan about it lol.

Although I will admit that some of the stuff is so ridiculous that if you can't let it slide and just enjoy, it would grate.

Pretty sure almost all of those people are just bitter that the Season 1 finale didn't end the way they wanted it to end. Which is fair enough, but then they take all the other stuff way out of porportion because the S1 finale ruined everything, or something. It's fucking ridiculous. People overlook Breaking Bad's contrivances, people overlooked Lost's contrivances, so why hold Homeland to a ridiculous double standard?

Clev has atleast had 2 seasons at the top level Shelvey has started like 2 games for Liverpool? How can u compare the 2?
Shelvey has played twice as many Premierleague games for Liverpool than Cleverley has for United.

If you include his time at Wigan then yeah Clev has played more...

Arnie

I'm pretty sure it's not true now I think about it.

He got a new contract last year which took him to £30k/£40k.

He's hardly played since then, no way they'd double his wages for no reason.

They're looking at giving him a new contract despite the extension last year, which I'd assume means an improved wage packet. He's a talent, I'm not going to deny him that even if I do enjoy comparing him to other British players, but I don't think he's that good quite yet.

We'll save our contracts for the likes of Suso and Shelvey. You can keep your B grade #PowellTomFuture

I would school you, but Viva stepped in.

Shelvey's three years younger than Cleverley, but taken at a glance you wouldn't believe it. With enough game time Shelvey will coast past Tom. He's also physically more imposing and durable, which is important over the course of a career.

See: Owen.

Pretty sure almost all of those people are just bitter that the Season 1 finale didn't end the way they wanted it to end. Which is fair enough, but then they take all the other stuff way out of porportion because the S1 finale ruined everything, or something. It's fucking ridiculous. People overlook Breaking Bad's contrivances, people overlooked Lost's contrivances, so why hold Homeland to a ridiculous double standard?

I'll admit, the season finale of Homeland really did worry me about the way it was going to progress. I've never had that with BB or even Lost.

Season 2 has started well but there are things that really irk me, for whatever reason they seem to 'stick out' more in Homeland. Why? I have no idea.

Speaking of Milner, apparently he is coming back into the England side for the Poland game, along with - Gerrard, Cole, Johnson, Defoe and Lescott. So...

Hart
Johnson Lescott Jagielka Cole
Milner Gerrard Clev Ox
Rooney Defoe

Is what I am expecting to see.

Which would be stupid. But that's what I think will happen. Lescott and Johnson shouldn't have missed the San Marino game anyway. Cahill should be in ahead of Jagielka too. Defoe should have started but fine he wanted to rest him so I guess that makes some kind of sense.

Milner...bleh. Rather have a pacey winger but Hodgson seems to like his work-rate.

pappe

Shelvey has played twice as many Premierleague games for Liverpool than Cleverley has for United.

If you include his time at Wigan then yeah Clev has played more...
Why wouldn't you include his time at Wigan? That's where he got his experience and ppl took notice

Watched the Four year plan on Netflix, fucking mess of a club :lol, fair play they got back into the premier league, but they've been shit ever since.

Wilbury is back on Friday I think.

Prepare your arseholes

Why wouldn't you include his time at Wigan? That's where he got his experience and ppl took notice
Yeah true, but even so I don't think he has made THAT many more appearances than Jonjo, a difference of 10 maybe.

I'm not sure where I stand on the two of them but for now I kinda would have to put Shelvey a little bit ahead, purely because he seems much more all rounded. Cleverley is a lovely passer but to be a great player off that alone, well, it will take some doing.

That said, things can change around very easily. Shelvey is young and on a good run of form just now but it could cool off very easily. I don't think he will be a "beast" or anything like that, but I get why Liverpool fans are excited.

As for our Tom. I'm sceptical he is going to be good enough to start for United for the next 5/6 years which is the way I'm judging him. Been wrong many a time before though so I hope he proves me wrong. If he can do the deed against Poland I will be impressed.

Arnie

Because even with a season out on loan, to have less appearances than Shelvey considering the age gap for their respective clubs speaks volumes for Cleverley's development as a whole, including his physical development.

Actually really excited to see Wilshere back.

He is genuinely a world class player in the making.

Just hope his time out hasn't done too much damage.

K1LLER7

Don't think Cleverly or Shelvey will be big star players for their teams.

I like the look of Suso from what I've seen. Think he could be better than both.

Arnie

Actually really excited to see Wilshere back.

He is genuinely a world class player in the making.

Just hope his time out hasn't done too much damage.

Agree. He was one of the best midfielders on the pitch at the Camp Nou, which is properly astonishing. If he gets back to the level he was at, which is a huge ask I must add, he'll return to the top of the tree as far as technically gifted British midfielders go. And I'm including Allen and Cleverley in that.

I like the look of Suso from what I've seen. Think he could be better than both.

To be honest I really don't see that claim as hyperbole anymore. The kid's going to be huge. From the U19 European championships he's really bombed on.

Don't think Cleverly or Shelvey will be big star players for their teams.

Definitely.

Suso looks different class. Him and Sterling are a bit ahead of Shelvey I think. Actually I think Suso is the best of the lot at Liverpool, from what I've seen. Sterling does have serious pace but Suso's touch is magic.

Top Bottom