• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Wilbur

Banned
It's hardly argumentative to suggest that people who attend game's week in week out are the most loyal supporters.

Argument, not argumentative; much like a lawyer. If corporate shills go every week in order to make an appearance, make contacts, eat fucking grapes, they're not automatically more of a fan than the ones crying at home when the team loses.

How'd you start following Man Utd out of interest?

For me, I grew up in South London. The only professional club less than an hour and a half away is Crystal Palace but I was the only one in my immediate family interested in football; my brother wasn't at the time, my mum and dad don't give a shit. My mum's family from Newcastle all supported them but lived there so I didn't see them often. My dad's side weren't that much into football apart from one uncle that lives in New Zealand and supports Man Utd.

I was 5/6 when I actually remember watching football from the first time, born out of enthusiasm from playing football in Little League and at school. United played good football, they had Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole who were great together, Yorke was always smiling so I started watching them more, and then became a fan.

I just think that despite me not being able to get to games often at all, despite me not having a Mancunian accent, I still know fuck loads about the club. I know about youth prospects, I've cried when we've won and lost. No one could tell me I support them any less than the majority of people that do.

Because being a supporter isn't about watching games in a pub. Its about going to games, singing, enjoying the banter with rival fans, travelling great distances to watch your team.

But If you're just a guy who shouts and roars at the TV in a bar and starts fistfights with randomers, that doesn't make you a hardcore supporter, it just make's you an angry man in a bar or at home on the couch. You can say to yourself all you want that you're as much as a supporter as the guys who follow Madrid/Juve home and away and across Europe but it doesn't make it so.

And believe me, I'm in the same boat as you are. In addition to supporting CCFC I have a fondness for Aston Villa which means I watch all their game's and go over to Brum frequently enough during the LoI offseason, does that make me a supporter like the guy in the Holte End who's had a ST For decade's, sings his heart out, follows Villa up and down England and has basically lived and breathed Villa his entire life?

No, no it does not. Sorry if that offends you.

And I suppose I disagree with all this.

juanpablo

Banned
looool.

Thats pretty much it. LOL at your obtuse and close minded point of view.

Yeah you say that, but I'd be pretty confident if we had a Madrid or Juve supporter here who are ST holders or somesuch, then they'd be agreeing with me.

Btw, what happens when Madrid play Juve? which side's fans would you be having fist fights with during that particular fixture?

pulga

Banned
oh my god at the thread about the NYPD cop who planned to kill and eat 100 girls. The transcripts are chilling.

Yeah you say that, but I'd be pretty confident if we had a Madrid or Juve supporter here who are ST holders or somesuch, then they'd be agreeing with me.

Btw, what happens when Madrid play Juve? which side's fans would you be having fist fights with during that particular fixture?

And I'm pretty confident they wouldn't. So being a ST holder takes you to a higher plane of fandom? Pfft get fucking real.

and thank the fuck that rarely happens. But when it does, I just chill the fuck out and enjoy seeing my two favorite teams in the world duke it out.

sohois

Looks like Stirling is playing as a false 9, Suarez on the right. Interesting

edit: ok, maybe it was just temporary, or they are rotating

LOL DOWNING

Mastadon

Banned
So what happens if I was born and raised in Liverpool but don't live there now? Am I a proper fan?!

Sterling's defensive work is great.

?

So now the richer fans are more legit?

jbh3eonveqpCOn.png

ATF487

I think you can say that there are integral parts of the fan experience that overseas/non-local supporters are missing out on, but it all depends on how far you're willing to go in supporting your team given your circumstances. People on this forum are staying up or waking up at ridiculous hours to watch games, and even taking trips to see games at the stadiums at an enormous expense. Who's to say that their passion is less than someone who attends every game since they live in walking distance of the stadium?

Personally I don't consider myself a superfan of Liverpool, or whatever the term was, but I do about as much as I possibly can short of breaking the bank or moving there. I also support my local team but it's hard when the product is so much...well, worse.

juanpablo

Banned
Argument, not argumentative; much like a lawyer. If corporate shills go every week in order to make an appearance, make contacts, eat fucking grapes, they're not automatically more of a fan than the ones crying at home when the team loses.

What about all the locals who are born and raised as Manchester United fans but are now priced out of OT thanks to corporate seating and the 1000s of foreign daytrippers who push up price's and take all the seats? If I were them I would not be happy.

For me, I grew up in South London. The only professional club less than an hour and a half away is Crystal Palace but I was the only one in my immediate family interested in football; my brother wasn't at the time, my mum and dad don't give a shit. My mum's family from Newcastle all supported them but lived there so I didn't see them often. My dad's side weren't that much into football apart from one uncle that lives in New Zealand and supports Man Utd.

I was 5/6 when I actually remember watching football from the first time, born out of enthusiasm from playing football in Little League and at school. United played good football, they had Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole who were great together, Yorke was always smiling so I started watching them more, and then became a fan.

So London then, has 18 league clubs or something like in the top 4 divisions in England, yet you end up following the most successful team of the era who are based 100s of miles away from London. How did that happen? Did you ever go to any teams in the local area play?

I just think that despite me not being able to get to games often at all, despite me not having a Mancunian accent, I still know fuck loads about the club. I know about youth prospects, I've cried when we've won and lost. No one could tell me I support them any less than the majority of people that do.

I don't dispute you have a passion for Man Utd, but would I bracket you in with Man Utd supporters who are local, have the ST, go to away games and have followed Man Utd for decades? No I wouldn't, again sorry if that offends you, I guess I'm being 'close minded'.

And I suppose I disagree with all this.

Course you do.

Top Bottom