• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

slide_259041_1680675_free.jpg

slide_259041_1680680_free.jpg

slide_259041_1680677_free.jpg

faridmon

I wish I could care a little about American Football (or American sports in general) but ALAS, I don't. As someone who stays in London for a limited amount of time, I reckon there are other things that gives me the pleasure of taking advantage of the city.

Wes

venison crêpe
Who would they play against?

They'd play 8 away games in a row and have a US camp. But we're at least a decade away from that happening.

The reason they're trying two games next year is to see if they can build up enough support to sell out 8 home games a year.

Wes

venison crêpe
I wish I could care a little about American Football (or American sports in general) but ALAS, I don't. As someone who stays in London for a limited amount of time, I reckon there are other things that gives me the pleasure of taking advantage of the city.

I used to love Basketball when I played in school but I can't get in to it anymore. Baseball season is too long for me.

I was part of the "lol it is Rugby with pads" brigade for a long while. I'd watch all the SuperBowls and eventually got in to it when Lerner took over Villa - I wanted to find out mroe about the team he (then) owned and a coupel of years later I watch every week.

The amount of depth to the game is incredible. I see it like human chess but the chess pieces have different physical stats as well as movement rules. It's incredibly absorbing.

spidye

Its a major spoiler, but it was announced that
that you gains super powers as you go along the carrier mode, there are more unlockable powers but Criterion specifically said that they don't want to spoiler that stuff

Sorry guys.

what the hell are they doing to NFS?

Slizz

I used to love Basketball when I played in school but I can't get in to it anymore. Baseball season is too long for me.

I was part of the "lol it is Rugby with pads" brigade for a long while. I'd watch all the SuperBowls and eventually got in to it when Lerner took over Villa - I wanted to find out mroe about the team he (then) owned and a coupel of years later I watch every week.

The amount of depth to the game is incredible. I see it like human chess but the chess pieces have different physical stats as well as movement rules. It's incredibly absorbing.

Once you get fully into the NFL you can really appreciate it, surprisingly playing Madden really helps. That being said, way to many commercials and lately the concussion frequency has really been aggravating to my viewing experience. Every week now I see at least 2-3 people get carted off the field a week because of a concussions across NFL and College Football.

Salazar

It draws their attention away from shit like NASCAR, farid.

The stupid thing about NFL is the way its bloated ass is all over the American higher education system. The game itself is wonderful.

faridmon

I really liked Hockey for quite sometime, but fell out of it since Scandinavia are pretty shit at it and the coverage was starting to be less and less.

I am aware of the whole stats thing and the tactics, but really, I have tried watching it, and the amount of pauses and breaks the game have just gotten into my nerve. I really like my sport to flow nicely from start to end. That is why I like sports such as Handball, and, used to but not anymore, Hockey. Football is getting on my nerve lately on how players are wasting time with them going down easily and taking their sweet time to get. However, luckly, all sort of replays, makes me tolerate that. NFL's breaks is un-tolerable.

spidye

Wait isn't that good thing? I mean you sure don't want it to be just a new NFS game, right?

it's just something I wouldn't have thought to see in a NFS game.
pretty strange

Nah it looks cool and I'm not some obsessed NFS fanboy, there was a few good ones on PS1 but never liked them when the underground ones started.

but Underground was pretty great. really loved the whole premise. especially since Fast and Furious was pretty big at that time

Slapping the name on anything driving related, the EA way.

I find it funny that people would think that the NFS franchise has some sort of sanctity and has ever had a commitment to either realism or even a modicum of quality. Fact is NFS: Most Wanted is probably the best NFS game ever made. Whether that's saying much is another argument.

Wes

venison crêpe
They show NFL on the BBC now. I tried to watch a bit but I was so confused and not entertained in the slightest to be honest.

The BBC have an extended highlights show the night of the Wembley game, you should give it a try watching it tomorrow if you're interested in getting in to it. It's usually easier to get in to that just directly watching a game.

Likewise the opening portion of Sunday Night Football on Chanel 4 usually recaps all the days games and has a small section on "things to watch" which is helpful to new viewers of the game.

Also the NFLGAF guys are a very friendly bunch. I asked, and still ask, loads of questions about the fundamentals when I started up.

spidye

I find it funny that spidye treats the NFS franchise like it has some sort of sanctity and has ever had a commitment to either realism or even a modicum of quality. Fact is NFS: Most Wanted is probably the best NFS game ever made. Whether that's saying much is another argument.

what? the NFS franchise was the best arcade racing franchise ever.
did you play the new game?

spidye

Most Wanted was the last great NFS game. Also, I found Underground series overrated my self. Fact: Burnout series > Need for Speed series.

oh you mean the first most wanted. yeah agreed. definitely the last good NFS.

IMO NFS series>Burnout series BUT Burnout Paradise > all the other arcade racing games

faridmon

oh you mean the first most wanted. yeah agreed. definitely the last good NFS.

IMO NFS series>Burnout series BUT Burnout Paradise > all the other arcade racing games

Burnout Paradise is the weakest in the series IMO. Burnout 3 > Brunout 2 > Burnout > Burnout Revenge > Burnout Dominator > Burnout Paradise

Hated that they took out that crash mode or whatever it was called in burnout paradise. They even tried spinning some new shit mode to be the revolution of the crash mode or some BS like that, just a shame it sucked. Crash mode with friends : best thing ever.

faridmon

I've seen many people with that argument but I'm a sucker for everything open world.

Ahh, that is where we differ. I hate open world, and that is why I couldn't get into GTA games, Red Dead Revolver and all every other open world games that people seem to fawn about.

The only ones I really loved are Assassins Creed 2 and Bully.

Hated that they took out that crash mode or whatever it was called in burnout paradise. They even tried spinning some new shit mode to be the revolution of the crash mode or some BS like that, just a shame it sucked. Crash mode with friends : best thing ever.

Yeah, Crash mode is the best. Sometime, I fire up Burnout Revenge just to play some Crush mode games. That shit is just plain fun.

Wes

venison crêpe
I really liked Hockey for quite sometime, but fell out of it since Scandinavia are pretty shit at it and the coverage was starting to be less and less.

I am aware of the whole stats thing and the tactics, but really, I have tried watching it, and the amount of pauses and breaks the game have just gotten into my nerve. I really like my sport to flow nicely from start to end. That is why I like sports such as Handball, and, used to but not anymore, Hockey. Football is getting on my nerve lately on how players are wasting time with them going down easily and taking their sweet time to get. However, luckly, all sort of replays, makes me tolerate that. NFL's breaks is un-tolerable.

This is a big deal for me too. I hate ad breaks. Luckily, the NFL have an amazing channel called RedZone and basically they don't show any adverts, they just jump from game to game showing all the action.

So basically from 6pm to 12pm on a Sunday night (for me) there's non stop NFL with no breaks. It's the best sporting broadcast idea I've seen behind just the BBC at the Olympic.

Also if you watch any UK broadcasts (Channel 4, Sky) they normally cut back to the studio to discuss the plays rather than go to ads. I've heard of US folks who, when choosing between streams to watch, will watch the UK version for this fact.

Top Bottom