• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

zDzFk.png

Its bullshit though. He's being denied clear fouls. Fair enough with incidents like the Sunderland one where you need replays to determine whether there was contact or not. But when he's being denied penalties/free kicks like the Norwich clip/barge/elbow and the Huth stamp, that goes beyond anything related to benefit of the doubt
It's funny though.

dc89

What leverage does he have? Fifa still doesn't have contract lengths that reflect the ones in real life, right?

Well it said he was on a 3 year deal on £15,000. So I offered him £20,000 on a new 3 year deal and he says it's not good enough. Well screw him then.

Its bullshit though. He's being denied clear fouls. Fair enough with incidents like the Sunderland one where you need replays to determine whether there was contact or not. But when he's being denied penalties/free kicks like the Norwich clip/barge/elbow and the Huth stamp, that goes beyond anything related to benefit of the doubt

Every player gets denied fouls. It happens, and yes it's bullshit, it's always really annoying when you get denied a clear foul etc.

I can't help but say in Suarez's case...fucking tough. Cry me a river. He, and he alone made his bed and he's having to lie in it. He always tries to cheat the game, I honestly don't care or feel any sense of injustice when he doesn't get a decision.

If that's how you want to play your football in this day and age, with so many ways to really analyse what happened then you best be prepared to accept that sometimes you'll get a taste of your own medicine.

Have to say I am quite disappointed Suarez hasn't snapped yet.

He's obv. quite an emotional guy. We need to bring Materazzi in for this operation.

Can you imagine Suarez getting sent off and 50k people cheering and clapping and waving him goodbye. Man, that would be so awesome.

Kyoufu

Have to say I am quite disappointed Suarez hasn't snapped yet.

He's obv. quite an emotional guy. We need to bring Materazzi in for this operation.

Can you imagine Suarez getting sent off and 50k people cheering and clapping and waving him goodbye. Man, that would be so awesome.

No. What would be awesome is if Man United went bankrupt.

GorillaJu

Suarez doesn't get whacked any more than Bale/Silva/Van Persie/Mata or any other tricky attacking player. He gets the standard rough and tumble treatment that everybody gets in the PL, only his theatrical reactions somehow make Liverpool fans think he gets it worse than others. He doesn't, he dishes it out but he can't take it himself.

suarez1llp2u.gif

This is simply not true. Suarez is the most fouled player in the league.

Man, I wish someone could crack the code of why Suarez doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in dubious situations. With a record as clean as his I'd always assume it was the other party that might be trying to deceive the ref.

Get Dan Brown on this shit THIS CODE NEEDS A CRACKING

So because a player has an unsavory personality on the pitch, the referees no longer have to do their job? Stunning revelation.

So because a player has an unsavory personality on the pitch, the referees no longer have to do their job? Stunning revelation.

I didn't say that, I said that in dubious challenges, it isn't surprising that Suarez doesn't get the benefit of the doubt considering his reputation.

Slizz

If Suarez is 'the most fouled person in the PL" then whats the problem? He is getting his calls, unless that stat is after they reviewed every game frame by frame and make a chalk mark every time he's fouled.

Kyoufu

Suarez is not the most fouled player in the league. Not last season anyway. Jonas Gutierrez takes that crown.

NICE TRY LIVERPOOL-GAF

pappe

No. Because a player exaggerates every contact, dives and whines over each and every fucking decision, you cant point at the referees and say they screwed up because they feel he is up to his antics again.

Every player gets denied fouls. It happens, and yes it's bullshit, it's always really annoying when you get denied a clear foul etc.

I can't help but say in Suarez's case...fucking tough. Cry me a river. He, and he alone made his bed and he's having to lie in it. He always tries to cheat the game, I honestly don't care or feel any sense of injustice when he doesn't get a decision.

If that's how you want to play your football in this day and age, with so many ways to really analyse what happened then you best be prepared to accept that sometimes you'll get a taste of your own medicine.

Nobody's asking for sympathy, competence will do.

Would you feel the same if you conceded a penalty and a red card for the ball being twatted at Taylor's stomach and being given as a handball?

@Viva, Materazzi would get himself sent off before he had a chance to wind Suarez up

GorillaJu

Suarez is not the most fouled player in the league. Not last season anyway. Jonas Gutierrez takes that crown.

NICE TRY LIVERPOOL-GAF

Sorry I misread the stat

The players on this list involved in most ground duels are: Dembele, Gutierrez, Suarez, Dyer, Moses, Doyle, Dempsey, Sessegnon, Barton and Gareth Bale.

So the most fouled player is Jonas Gutierrez but is he fouled the most often? No he’s not!

Who was fouled most often?

Luis Suarez was fouled the most often in the Premier League last year. Suarez was also the player who attempted the most dribbles per game (although most successful dribbles is held by Junior Hoilett) and attempted a lot of ground duels so you can see why he would get fouled the most.

(Please note all players in the list to the right have played 1700 minutes or more in the 2011/12 Premier League campaign).

GorillaJu

No. Because a player exaggerates every contact, dives and whines over each and every fucking decision, you cant point at the referees and say they screwed up because they feel he is up to his antics again.

The referees job is unemotional. Every match should be taken in its own context - but the referees can't seem to handle that seemingly simple concept. For example, if you're wearing a Manchester United shirt, when you dive the booking goes to the other team and you get a penalty. When you're Suarez, having stud-marks on your torso isn't enough to call a foul.

Nobody's asking for sympathy, competence will do.

Would you feel the same if you conceded a penalty and a red card for the ball being twatted at Taylor's stomach and being given as a handball?

@Viva, Materazzi would get himself sent off before he had a chance to wind Suarez up

I'd feel like it was bullshit, which it would be, but every players and every team gets bad decisions.

PJX

We're back on Suarez again? I thought Footie-GAF was over that.

Aren't you a United fan?

pappe

The referees job is unemotional. Every match should be taken in its own context - but the referees can't seem to handle that seemingly simple concept. For example, if you're wearing a Manchester United shirt, when you dive the booking goes to the other team and you get a penalty. When you're Suarez, having stud-marks on your torso isn't enough to call a foul.

Even if you take each game on its own. He does it every freaking game. Besides referees are still human and the stuff a player does will leave a certain impression in the subconscious of the ref causing him to judge that person in a specific manner.

In truth, the number of fouls won is a red herring anyway.

For one, some players ride challenges alot better than others. David Silva for example, gets plenty of shirt tugs and kicks, but he quite often actually tries to stay on his feet and play on. Quite often he shrugs off a challenge and gets goal side and finds himself in a good position. So that's one thing.

More importantly though, it's not that Suarez doesn't get fouls called against him. He does and he gets alot of them, many of them when they aren't actually fouls. What he doesn't get is the game defining decisions, which are naturally most often in the penalty box and involving him going over.

And that is because the ref's don't trust him. They don't want to give a penalty because they don't want to risk giving a big decision like that when 1) They are hesitant to give him the benefit of the doubt 2) Quite often Suarez's falls even for legit pens are exaggerated.

Obv. the ref's need to be better, there is no denying that. But Suarez has created a problem for himself. And last week at Stoke typified that. The story after the match was about his ridiculous dive. If he hadn't done that, the stamp from Huth would have been the main headline. Liverpool fans might not want to believe that But i'm pretty sure that's how it would have gone down.

Nobody is going to take you seriously if you're gonna make points like that :lol

But anyhow, that's how it SHOULD be. But it just isn't and people have a natural perception which they just can't shrug. Ideally we would have ref's who could do that but it's nigh on impossible. Suarez has to accept responsibility also. It's not fair to pin it all on the refs.

bud

98%* of the time suarez goes down, he does so in an exaggerated and theatrical manner. it's pretty easy to see he's diving. besides, if the referee's not sure whether it's a foul or dive, it's only logical that he wouldn't give suarez the benefit of the doubt. after all, it's suarez.

*i'm pulling this number out of my hairy ass.

GorillaJu

Even if you take each game on its own. He does it every freaking game. Besides referees are still human and the stuff a player does will leave a certain impression in the subconscious of the ref causing him to judge that person in a specific manner.

They're humans who have a job to do - they're the highest paid referees in the world, no? They're not robots but they should be the best of the best, and at the present time they aren't up to the level that they should be.

It's not even like it's something that just appeared recently. It's systematic. Institutionalized. It was even researched and shown that teams who wear red and black are booked more often, and that foreign players are shown yellow cards more than British players.

It's erroneous, and so long as people continue their obsession with Luis Suarez, it'll be worth bringing up that the system, as it is, is bullshit.

Obv. the ref's need to be better, there is no denying that. But Suarez has created a problem for himself. And last week at Stoke typified that. The story after the match was about his ridiculous dive. If he hadn't done that, the stamp from Huth would have been the main headline. Liverpool fans might not want to believe that But i'm pretty sure that's how it would have gone down.

I'm not so sure, but I wish he wouldn't have dived there. It's frustrating for the fans. Not as frustrating as hearing him made out to be the masked villain of England, though.

I'm not looking to be taken seriously right now anyway. I'm sick, tired and barely conscious from the medicine. COME AT ME BROO

Would you accept that the referee could be inclined to see it as a handball given his past?

Not in situations like that no, when I was talking about how I'm not surprised when Suarez doesn't always the get dubious calls I was talking about 50/50 challenges, just your standard little fouls etc

That's not an equivocal example though. One incident, albeit pretty damn disgraceful and hilarious, against several in the case of Suarez.

He's done it twice, enough for me to call him a serial handballer :p

@Willkiller, I agree with the 50/50 challenges, the ref would probably be right to err on the side of Suarez diving. If its so much as 51/49 though, that bias should disappear and he should call it as he sees it. I don't think that's happening though

pappe

They're humans who have a job to do - they're the highest paid referees in the world, no? They're not robots but they should be the best of the best, and at the present time they aren't up to the level that they should be.

It's not even like it's something that just appeared recently. It's systematic. Institutionalized. It was even researched and shown that teams who wear red and black are booked more often, and that foreign players are shown yellow cards more than British players.

It's erroneous, and so long as people continue their obsession with Luis Suarez, it'll be worth bringing up that the system, as it is, is bullshit.

The refs have the most thankless job in the world. I feel sorry for them sometimes. They might get a very very very tough decision right and no1 would bat an eyelid. The moment they screw up 1 decision out of the 100s they make in a match and they do so because of a player play acting the whole world gets on their back. This goes for every sport.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What's happening to Suarez is exactly what happened to Drogba and Nani. Their reputation went before them and referees stopped giving them decisions. In the last two seasons they both stopped throwing themselves over and crying all the time. Suarez simply needs to man up for a month or two then he'll get the referees on side. He started doing that but then threw it all away with the dive against Stoke.

What's happening to Suarez is exactly what happened to Drogba and Nani. Their reputation went before them and referees stopped giving them decisions. In the last two seasons they both stopped throwing themselves over and crying all the time. Suarez simply needs to man up for a month or two then he'll get the referees on side. He started doing that but then threw it all away with the dive against Stoke.
Basically this.

It happened before that with Ronaldo too.

Suarez has to stop putting himself out there to get castigated.

Bale is going to start getting hit and not given fouls soon too.

I just think it's funny how Liverpool fans will seemingly defend Suarez to the end of the Earth as if he's been a 'red through and through' all his life of something. By all means, celebrate the good stuff he does for the club, I know I'll never forget Barton's brace in the 4-4 and the passion he showed in the derby games. I still recognize that he was/is a piece of shit who's antics embarrassed the club though.

@Hitcher, In an ideal world I agree. I just don't think it's possible to eliminate that little degree of bias in certain situations. We're all human after all, as professional as referees are (and they really are) it would be almost impossible to eliminate things that happen on a subconscious level.

Slizz

Pretty much this. Stay on his feet until its obvious its a foul.

Nani has definitely stopped diving as much. Not stopped completely but less than before.

GorillaJu

The refs have the most thankless job in the world. I feel sorry for them sometimes. They might get a very very very tough decision right and no1 would bat an eyelid. The moment they screw up 1 decision out of the 100s they make in a match and they do so because of a player play acting the whole world gets on their back. This goes for every sport.

They get paid bucket loads. A big job with big responsibilities comes with big rewards. And good referees do get recognized, when it's over a period of time. I agree that the feedback is disproportionate, but I also think that when you are at the level of the Premier League, you need a group of people who simply don't make mistakes. Impossible, I know, but it needs to be better than it is now.

GorillaJu

I just think it's funny how Liverpool fans will seemingly defend Suarez to the end of the Earth as if he's been a 'red through and through' all his life of something. By all means, celebrate the good stuff he does for the club, I know I'll never forget Barton's brace in the 4-4 and the passion he showed in the derby games. I still recognize that he was/is a piece of shit who's antics embarrassed the club though.

I am more of a hard-line type fan who will defend my clubs players, although I know many are not like that. My friend, a Liverpool fan, hates Suarez with a passion. He's on the other extreme I suppose.

I can't help it, even if it weren't my own club I'd still step in when the vitriol gets as ridiculous as it is over Suarez. I even defend Barton at times even though I know he's a shitcake of a person by most standards.

Besides it's boring if you just sit back and listen to the choir sing the same fucking song every week.

The Premier League's Boy Who Cried Wolf does have a name: Luis Suarez. The Uruguayan played well against Stoke City on Sunday, but it was not his sorcery with the ball that dominated the news the morning after, but rather his spellbinding attempt to win a penalty in the second half. As he threw himself to the floor over the mass of Stoke legs, it was partly in exasperation. He had been given little all afternoon. Actions such as that won't help his cause. The dizzying cycle continues.

That's not to excuse his display of stupidity - because that's exactly what it was. After his team-mates, captain and manager spoke of the unfair treatment Suarez receives from referees, he looked to win a penalty in an almost comical manner after people displayed that rare emotion of sympathy towards Suarez following Leon Barnett's unpunished assault to the head, it instantly evaporated with one theatrical fall. The archetypal villain of the league dons his mask once more.

This is from RAWK and it says what you guys are saying and I agree with it.

Fuck me another double post. :p Brain is barely working here.. you guys need to post more.

I am more of a hard-line type fan who will defend my clubs players, although I know many are not like that. My friend, a Liverpool fan, hates Suarez with a passion. He's on the other extreme I suppose.

I can't help it, even if it weren't my own club I'd still step in when the vitriol gets as ridiculous as it is over Suarez. I even defend Barton at times even though I know he's a shitcake of a person by most standards.

Besides it's boring if you just sit back and listen to the choir sing the same fucking song every week.

I agree with you to an extent. I've sure as hell defended some stupid things Newcastle players have done, I'm not going to sit here and pretend that if Tiote goes in two footed next week against the Mackems I wouldn't be loving it. I'd draw the line somewhere though, and it baffles me that some some Liverpool fans it's yet to be drawn against Suarez.

I know this is purely personal preference though.

dc89

Messi, Aguero and Di Maria are absolutely scary. The way Aguero's goal came about was incredible, it's like they had a understanding that's not of this world.

Top Bottom