• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
*spoilers for the TV show*

GoT-Arrested Development mashup.
KuGsj.gif

Fabregas is worth more than £30m. What's ludicrous to me however is how United think Barcelona would consider an offer only £5m higher than the previous one to which they've rejected publicly.

Why wouldn't you have Steam guard on in the first place? :p prices could rise after the sale, market is totally saturated ATM.

Yup, the summer badge cards are already going up in price by the hour. People are really dumb. I'm just going to hold on to mine, wait til the price tops out.

Salvadora

How does this happen to Arsenal so much? I just don't understand it, you've got to have one of the worst injury records in PL history, if not the worst. Is it the players Wenger targets, or the medical staff?
Every single year we're at the top, if not near it. I can't even muster the energy to rant about it anymore, I've done it so many times.

There's something rotten at Arsenal.
Wasn't Mannone sold? Who's going to come in then?
Fabianski I assume. And Martinez if he gets injured.

Haven't a clue how long Szczesny's out for either. Fab had a back injury and was out for 6+ months.

He is talking nonsense. Barcelona cannot just simply accept United's offer without giving Arsenal first refusal. The question isn't whether Cesc will join Utd or not - the question is would Cesc turn down Arsenal in favour of joining United. If Wenger were to re-sign Fabregas and at least one other world class player, there is no reason why the club could not do better than United in challenging for the title.

He is talking nonsense. Barcelona cannot just simply accept United's offer without giving Arsenal first refusal. The question isn't whether Cesc will join Utd or not - the question is would Cesc turn down Arsenal in favour of joining United. If Wenger were to re-sign Fabregas and at least one other world class player, there is no reason why the club could not do better than United in challenging for the title.

All my lols to you, Meus. All of them.

Dunno man, Kaveh sounds pretty convincing and measured to me.

is this real life?

Salvadora

Meus is right, Arsenal's first refusal right is being sorely overlooked in this whole affair.

Even if you could persuade Barca to sell, you won't get him.

Apparently Rene Meulensteen has taken over at Anji.

No sure if it's just as caretaker or not though.

Hopefully it's for good, now bid loads for our players Rene!!!

What does first refusal even mean anyway?

How does it work?

It means that before Cesc signs for us he's gonna tell Arsenal to do one.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Apparently Rene Meulensteen has taken over at Anji.

No sure if it's just as caretaker or not though.

Hopefully it's for good, now bid loads for our players Rene!!!

It means that before Cesc signs for us he's gonna tell Arsenal to do one.

As much as I want Cesc him rejecting Arsenal will be the best thing that could come out of this.

Meus is right, Arsenal's first refusal right is being sorely overlooked in this whole affair.

No, no, Arsenal's right of refusal is being duly considered and summarily dismissed in this matter. Arsenal have sunk even lower since Cesc left and he has no reason to go back. You can't offer him the money and you can't offer him the possibility of trophies... unless he's keen on winning the 4th place trophy.

Feorax

It's a tough call for Wenger though. If he doesn't feel he needs Fabregas at that particular moment in time, the club may choose not to exercise it, as daft as that sounds.

Cesc would improve Arsenal no end, but I get this feeling Wenger may look at Cazorla, Arteta and Wilshire and think "actually, I'm ok in CM, and if I'm going to spend that amount of money, I'd rather get a striker or centre back."

Meier

How does it work?

You see it in FM all the time if you have a club become an affiliate of yours. If I want to buy Player A from some team in Argentina for $10m, then maybe Corinthians can come in and match my bid and then be given priority in the bidding process. Obviously there's a bit more to it, but it means that the one club is at least allowed to match the offer of the other. Barca wouldn't be able to sell out-right without talking to Arsenal first and allowing them to match the bid.

They are getting a percentage of profit over their sale price to Barcelona it sounds like which would allow them to cut the effective cost down if they matched a high bid from Man U, but I've seen some people seem to think that they've locked in a £25m fee which is clearly incorrect. That'd just be a buyback option.

Feorax

How does it work?

It means that if United agree a fee with Barca, then before the transaction can go ahead, Barca need to contact Arsenal and say "United have offered X amount for Fabregas and we've accepted, do you want to match their bid?" If the answer is no, the deal between United and Barca proceeds as normal, if the answer is yes, Arsenal get the first go at agreeing terms with the player.

It's a tough call for Wenger though. If he doesn't feel he needs Fabregas at that particular moment in time, the club may choose not to exercise it, as daft as that sounds.

Cesc would improve Arsenal no end, but I get this feeling Wenger may look at Cazorla, Arteta and Wilshire and think "actually, I'm ok in CM, and if I'm going to spend that amount of money, I'd rather get a striker or centre back."

In addition to my comment above, you're talking about Arsene "I won't spend" Wenger spending £25 million on an area of his team that least needs improving.

Wenger has already gone on the record saying Arsenal are monitoring the situation.

bud

Every single year we're at the top, if not near it. I can't even muster the energy to rant about it anymore, I've done it so many times.

Haven't a clue how long Szczesny's out for either. Fab had a back injury and was out for 6+ months.

it's probably due to wenger's training methods.

Guus vs Ancelotti in Spain? That would be interesting.

Adorable.

Salvadora

No, no, Arsenal's right of refusal is being duly considered and summarily dismissed in this matter. Arsenal have sunk even lower since Cesc left and he has no reason to go back. You can't offer him the money and you can't offer him the possibility of trophies... unless he's keen on winning the 4th place trophy.
Considered and dismissed by who? Not by Cesc which is what matters.

Judging from that Time's article, Arsene is still in contact with him in some capacity. Enough to come out and say he isn't leaving 'this year'. I think if there was ever a player we would spend that amount of money on, it's Cesc.
it's probably due to wenger's training methods.
iirc an Arsenal ex-player (Nasri?) came out and said that we didn't even practise tackling in training.

IMO Arsenal fans should stop referring to him as "Cesc".

To you he is "Fabregas."

You wouldn't call Januzaj, Adnan would you? Or Rooney, Wazza. Or RVP, Robin.

I encourage United fans to do the same until he signs for us.

Wilbur

Banned

To you he is "Fabregas."

What a fucking great post

Ronnie come home <33333

The World's End is great guys

operon

wasn't the latest rumour with ye and Caesar that ye were telling him he needed a pay cut

Timurid

:lol Moving from Barca to any club in England is a huge step down. He should just come to PSG and be reunited with his footballing father next year.

dc89

To you he is "Fabregas."

Mr Fabregas.

Show some respect.

You see it in FM all the time if you have a club become an affiliate of yours. If I want to buy Player A from some team in Argentina for $10m, then maybe Corinthians can come in and match my bid and then be given priority in the bidding process. Obviously there's a bit more to it, but it means that the one club is at least allowed to match the offer of the other. Barca wouldn't be able to sell out-right without talking to Arsenal first and allowing them to match the bid.

They are getting a percentage of profit over their sale price to Barcelona it sounds like which would allow them to cut the effective cost down if they matched a high bid from Man U, but I've seen some people seem to think that they've locked in a £25m fee which is clearly incorrect. That'd just be a buyback option.

It would mean were Arsenal to match the bid, Barca would be obligated to sell to Arsenal rather than United regardless of the fact that United approached first and agreed a price.

Sometimes, the clause may even agree a pre-set transfer figure that would be accepted. For example, Man United bid £30m but Arsenal get the player for £20m.

Meier

:lol Moving from Barca to any club in England is a huge step down. He should just come to PSG and be reunited with his footballing father next year.

The bond between a player and his footballing father is clearly overstated. :(

(Unless you're Essien and Mou)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

To you he is "Fabregas."

Stevan Joveti&#263;.

Fuck.

It means Barce have to accept the Arsenal bid, he doesn't have to go to Arsenal above United, Barce accept and let the player decide...

Meier

It would mean were Arsenal to match the bid, Barca would be obligated to sell to Arsenal rather than United regardless of the fact that United approached first and agreed a price.

Sometimes, the clause may even agree a pre-set transfer figure that would be accepted. For example, Man United bid £30m but Arsenal get the player for £20m.

Well, that's not entirely true as Cesc could always turn down Arsenal and then proceed to negotiate with Man U. There is no obligation to sell to Arsenal per se, only to give them the first option to negotiate with the player.

If Man U had a bid of £35m accepted, Arsenal would perhaps only have to pay £30m due to the percentage profit deal that was apparently included in the original sale to Barca (if it's truly 50%).

bud

Considered and dismissed by who? Not by Cesc which is what matters.

Judging from that Time's article, Arsene is still in contact with him in some capacity. Enough to come out and say he isn't leaving 'this year'. I think if there was ever a player we would spend that amount of money on, it's Cesc.

iirc an Arsenal ex-player (Nasri?) came out and said that we didn't even practise tackling in training.

i had no idea practicing how to tackle was even a thing.

i was talking more about wenger perhaps overtraining his players in pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom