• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mil6es

lets face it Wenger is to cheap to meet any asking price of top players so Arsenal fans should brace themselves for the Inevitable WengerOut hashtag at the end of the transfer window

arkon

LOOOOOOOOOOL

Okay pal, I'll bite

In 28 games in La Liga:
Total turnovers 11
Dispossessed 20

That's fucking inhuman.

Modric, in 33 games: Turnovers 19, Dispossessed 33.
Pirlo, in 32: 18, 32
Sergio Busquets, in 31: 15, 20.
Xavi, in 30: 31(!), 21(!).

That's real low, Yurt. Using facts... you monster...

Hixx

Fuck Ivanovic

Mandron is the new hotness

jbm3tmamq0E95J.png

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Just saw the pics of Bernard and was kind of surprised. Completely forgot that there's a massive amount of light-skinned Brazilians. You wouldn't be able to tell going by most of the national team.

A 40 year old Chinese guy called Bernard moved into my gf's flat the other month - I think this is a sign he is going to Arsenal.

Shinji's agent:
"As of now, I expect Shinji to stay in Manchester. But in football, nothing is impossible..."

It's happening!

No, it's not lol. What a waste that would be, Kagawa and Micky is too much. Wait, no it isn't. We just tell Lewandowski to get fucked and play Micky as striker :D

I panicked last night and bought Natural Selection 2 before the sale ended. Anyone played it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:lol

arkon

Just saw the pics of Bernard and was kind of surprised. Completely forgot that there's a massive amount of light-skinned Brazilians. You wouldn't be able to tell going by most of the national team.

A 40 year old Chinese guy called Bernard moved into my gf's flat the other month - I think this is a sign he is going to Arsenal.

As sure a sign as any.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I imagine Lopez is the player we go for when we fail to sign Soldado.

Baldini x Levy

BELIEVE

I'm posting a formation dammit.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen BAE
Sandro Dembele Paulinho
Bale Soldado Chadli

Pure sex. Our bench will actually be well stocked with quality as well.

Turok_TTZ

LOOOOOOOOOOL

Okay pal, I'll bite

In 28 games in La Liga:
Total turnovers 11
Dispossessed 20

That's fucking inhuman.

(Modric, in 33 games: Turnovers 19, Dispossessed 33.)
I would like to inform you that your information is horribly wrong.

Xabi Alonso - La Liga 2012-13
-Games: 28
-Turnovers: 233
-Steals: 263

Luka Modric - La Liga 2012-13
-Games: 33
-Turnovers: 219
-Steals: 148

Different midfielders but similar roles but I digress, Modric had more games and lost possession lesser than Xabi Alonso.

But La Liga for metric is lolworthy, I said QUALITY OPPOSITION, so let's use the champions league shall we?

Xabi Alonso - Champions League 2012-13
-Games:10
-Turnovers:104
-Steals:92

Luka Modric - Champions League 2012-13
-Games:11
-Turnovers: 54
-Steals: 34

You bit off far more than you can chew, Yurt.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I would like to inform you that your information is horribly wrong.

Xabi Alonso - La Liga 2012-13
-Games: 28
-Turnovers: 233
-Steals: 263

Luka Modric - La Liga 2012-13
-Games: 33
-Turnovers: 219
-Steals: 148

Different midfielders but similar roles but I digress, Modric had more games and lost possession lesser than Xabi Alonso.

But La Liga for metric is lolworthy, I said QUALITY OPPOSITION, so let's use the champions league shall we?

Xabi Alonso - Champions League 2012-13
-Games:10
-Turnovers:104
-Steals:92

Luka Modric - Champions League 2012-13
-Games:11
-Turnovers: 54
-Steals: 34

You bit off far more than you can chew, Yurt.

Opta is wrong?

Btw, dispossessed =/= steals. That's a totally different thing.

Salvadora

Shinji's agent:
"As of now, I expect Shinji to stay in Manchester. But in football, nothing is impossible..."

It's happening!

No, it's not lol. What a waste that would be, Kagawa and Micky is too much. Wait, no it isn't. We just tell Lewandowski to get fucked and play Micky as striker :D
There's weirdly a lot going on with this story. Especially with his Dortmund comments recently.

I wonder if he's happy.

Turok_TTZ

Opta is wrong?

Btw, dispossessed =/= steals. That's a totally different thing.

But In my original argument for Alonso not being comfortable on the ball, Steals/dispossessing opposition was never factored. turnovers are the result of gifting the ball to the opposition like a fool, be it a pass or simply be dispossessed yerself by opponent. oh and for stats related to madrid men I usually go by Madrid's own info.

Baldini x Levy

BELIEVE

I'm posting a formation dammit.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen BAE
Sandro Dembele Paulinho
Bale Soldado Chadli

Pure sex. Our bench will actually be well stocked with quality as well.
Nice.

Usho why don't you post a complete squad list so we can see just how well stocked that bench is.

Ushojax

That's without Gylfi, Holtby, Carroll, Lennon, Townsend, Rose, Dawson, Caulker, Defoe, Adebayor or Dempsey either.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
But In my original argument for Alonso not being comfortable on the ball, Steals/dispossessing opposition was never factored. turnovers are the result of gifting the ball to the opposition like a fool, be it a pass or simply be dispossessed yerself.

It means stealing the ball from you.

Your numbers are way off, 100+ turnovers in 10 games? How is that even possible. I took my numbers from Opta anyway, so go argue with them.

Turok_TTZ

It means stealing the ball from you.

Your numbers are way off, 100+ turnovers in 10 games? How is that even possible. I took my numbers from Opta anyway, so go argue with them.

My numbers are from Real Madrid themselves. go check the official site its there written in plain text.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Moving to London for a while soon and it's making me feel like I need to finally pick an English team. Stressful decision. One of the local ones, like Man United.

Moyes interview on the Daily Mail:

David, the start to your Barclays Premier League season is not easy. How are you feeling about that?

It could map out our whole season, which is why we are trying to get ourselves right for the opening games. We have to play some of the better teams at the early stages, so we have to make sure we are in good form, but the same applies to them.

Do you have butterflies in your stomach?

Yeah, that comes with the excitement of the job, but it’s more to do with the magnitude of Manchester United and following arguably the greatest manager that football has ever known. You can’t see any manager thinking that would be an easy job, but in the same breath it is a great one because of what I have available and what Sir Alex has left.

How long before it is ‘your’ team? Is it automatic or does it take six months or maybe a season?

It is my team now. I have taken over, I’m in charge. As I have said, I will use the ex-manager as much as I can because of his knowledge, but it is my team now and I have to take responsibility for that.

Sir Alex said to the supporters after his last home game that it was important to get behind the new manager. How important was that?

I have got to say it showed unbelievable class. Change can be difficult for people but importantly he gave me the confidence and hopefully from that the supporters will give me the opportunity to get started. It was good for the players, too.

Will it be a defining moment when people stop asking you about Sir Alex? Will that be a sign you’ve moved on?

Yes, in a way. I don’t want to mention Sir Alex in every conversation I have but in the same breath I would hate to think in any way that I was disrespecting someone of his level. But I will always respect him, as will Manchester United.

How involved to you intend to be in the day-to-day running of the club?

I'm going to reshape this club from top to bottom.

While some managers are famous for their hands-on approach, others maintain a more reserved manner with their players. How do you see your management style?

I want every player to know that they can come to me with anything.

What would you say is your tactical approach to the game?

We need to make sure we have a balanced approach. It is little use having a brilliant front-line if you can't defend a lead.

What can we expect of you in the transfer market? Are you looking to splash the cash or are you more of a bargain hunter?

I am only interested in signing the very best players available.

On the off-chance that any agents read your comments today, is there a particular area of the squad which you are looking to strengthen in the near future?

Midfield.

Recent reports have linked you with a move for Barcelona attacking midfielder Cesc Fabregas. Are you prepared to go on record with your thoughts on this story?

I don't like to talk about players at other clubs, but I can confirm that I would love to make him a part of the team and we are working towards that end. There is definitely some interest from our side. Can we do a deal? It's too soon to say. I won't be discussing any transfer stories today, sorry.

Read more on the Daily Mail's website.

Ushojax

In terms of height that is a huge Tottenham team.

It was last season as well. Unfortunately it didn't stop us from being dogshit on set plays. That's one of the areas we have to improve this season. Players like Vertonghen, Bale and Ade are very easily beaten to a high ball. That Boyce goal still gives me nightmares, to score a freebie like we did and then basically let them score from a corner 30 seconds later, was amateur stuff. The kind of stuff Arsenal didn't do during the last 10 games.

There's weirdly a lot going on with this story. Especially with his Dortmund comments recently.

I wonder if he's happy.

Calma.

"I'm very happy to be a member of Manchester United and to be playing in Japan for them," Kagawa said. "I'm looking forward to meeting the fans tomorrow and I hope we have a very good game. I'd like to give them my very best.

"Today I met David Moyes for the first time. We had a good talk in the car. We still need to spend more time to get to know each other but I'm looking forward to building our relationship. As a player, I want to give my best in each game and give a good impression to the manager."

"It's true I had some difficulties last year but gradually through the season, I was able to participate for longer periods," Kagawa said. "It doesn't matter if I play as a no.10 or not. I'm very confident I can play in any position for the team."

"I felt very proud to see Dortmund in the final and I was excited," he said. "I was proud of my former team-mates. I spent more than two years there.

"I don't feel like I made the wrong choice. Of course I wanted to be on that pitch but it just made me feel very strongly about wanting to play in a similar match in the future."

United bro's what time is our game tmrw?

L1NETT

Moving to London for a while soon and it's making me feel like I need to finally pick an English team. Stressful decision. One of the local ones, like Man United.

:)

If you actually are going to, pick a team where it won't cost you a wonga loan to get in and seem them. Charlton is not a bad shout.

Watched the last ep of BoB.

fuck, that's a perfect ending. Just a beautiful and sweet end to all the horror that's come before.

One of the best shows of all time, that's for sure.

Now to make a LTTP thread.

Ushojax

Soldado would take Spurs summer spending to like, £49m.

Where did Levy 'find' the money?

It might not seem like it, but we are owned by a billionaire. Spending on tranfer fees has generally not been an issue, we aren't attractive to the £30m players (so we would never need to spend that much) but we have signed several players in the £15-18m bracket in the last 5 years. Where we are careful is the wages and contracts.

Watched the last ep of BoB.

fuck, that's a perfect ending. Just a beautiful and sweet end to all the horror that's come before.

One of the best shows of all time, that's for sure.

Now to make a LTTP thread.

I'm going to start watching this next week after the bar exam is over and I get my life back. You guys got me interested in watching it.

It might not seem like it, but we are owned by a billionaire. Spending on tranfer fees has generally not been an issue, we aren't attractive to the £30m players but we have signed several players in the £15-18m bracket in the last 5 years. Where we are careful is the wages and contracts.

Also we didn't really spend anything last summer or the summer before.

Salvadora

It might not seem like it, but we are owned by a billionaire. Spending on tranfer fees has generally not been an issue, we aren't attractive to the £30m players (so we would never need to spend that much) but we have signed several players in the £15-18m bracket in the last 5 years. Where we are careful is the wages and contracts.

There's a possibility that you will end up spending more than United, the league champions.

For a team that came in fifth, plays in the Europa league, and is generally smaller that is absolutely mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom