• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, if United get to the first day of the season, and the wingers are a choice between Young, Valencia and Zaha that will be a bit disastrous.

Even if Rooney and Nani were to go, I expect Moyes will continue with Kagawa on the left. Maybe things will change and Shinji will be given the same freedom Mata has at Chelsea, but when Moyes was talking about forwards in a recent interview, he name-checked Rooney behind RVP, or RVP playing with Chicharito or Welbeck up front.

Valencia and Zaha will probably share the right. Young to be the backup we hopefully don't need; Adnan the one we deserve.

LegoArmo

Shinji could play left, like a United Pienaar. Just wouldn't excite me too much.

Will Nakamura be playing today against United? Or is that tomorrow?

kharma45

Some players require a different style of man management, maybe one that Fergie wasn't willing to give, and he'd know more than us about the situation, so fair enough, I'd never doubt him, but even with all that, he was kept at the club, so he must have had some faith in him.

New manager, a clean slate, I'd say give him another season, especially with Valencia and Young shitting the bed.

We've kept many duff players at the club longer than they deserve to have been kept.

I would give him another chance if he stopped thinking he is some sort of player and asking for a huge pay packet and instead commit to a more realistic deal that would reward if he worked hard. Yet i don't see that happening.

Ok so we sell him. Who do we realistically get who's better?

why do we need to replace him?

Not even any point of selling when you'll only get 8-10m anyway, it's just a waste of a great talent.

It is a waste but at least we wont be paying him to arse around and squander the gift he has. He could've been great for us but that ship has since sailed.

L1NETT

how many times has arsenal disappointed? I'm impressed arsenal even has the fanbase that it has considering the constant disappointment both on the pitch and on the market. cant win even the carling cup, missing out on higuain, losing key players to rival teams... arsenal fans has my condolences.

Wtf is this lol

You are surprised that fans stick by their team? Maybe because aren't plastic fans who support a plastic club.

I mean being one of the most successful teams in England, must suck supporting them. Why don't they go and support the petro clubs?

Wes

venison crêpe
BPzpGEqCAAAT8wd.jpg:large

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Adebayor's younger brother has apparently passed away :(

Condolences Ade, I hope you come back strong. I remember when Wilson Palacios' younger brother was murdered, after that he was never the same.

Zabojnik

JuveBros, how about that Vajebah Sakor, eh? Looks quite promising. I had no idea he was only 17. Damn. He's obviously still quite raw, but he was bossing it throughout the training camp period. Would be nice if Conte gave him some playtime tonight. Dude deserves it, as does Fausto Rossi, who could very well turn into a Giaccherini 2.0 for us. I say we keep him in the squad with Marrone.

978x.jpg

for the new page

Bla, should've left it on the previous page. That's one ugly kit. And I usually love Bayern kits.

Cole and Lingard will definitely reach PL level. Don't know if they'll make it at United, and they aren't potential stars like Adnan, but they have a decent shot at becoming rotation players.

Not sure they're even good enough for rotation.

I respectfully disagree. Whenever I saw him he wasn't just holding the ball in the corner. He made stuff happen.

Is this because of his hat trick in the final? That was anomalous for him.

why do we need to replace him?

Because we have two below par squad wingers and Zaha who may possibly turn out to be good. If you think that's enough to win titles on a consistent basis then I can't help you. Adnan will be great I'm sure but we need someone talented now, not later.

Also, if anyone starts suggesting again that Welbeck is a competent winger I'm just going to take a hammer to my face.

Nope. I didn't see that. I can't remember why but I missed the second half of that game.

Well I guess I've not seen the games you have (bar that hat trick which was impressive). I've just not seen anything convincing from him yet really. Although people are saying he's come on in strides in the last year.

Salazar

Because we have two below par squad wingers and Zaha who may possibly turn out to be good. If you think that's enough to win titles on a consistent basis then I can't help you. Adnan will be great I'm sure but we need someone talented now, not later.

Also, if anyone starts suggesting again that Welbeck is a competent winger I'm just going to take a hammer to my face.

Couldn't be more right without changing your name to Himmler.

kharma45

Is this because of his hat trick in the final? That was anomalous for him.

Much like Nani being in form

Welbeck has zero competence whatsoever so I'm not going to suggest that.

Nani is already a below par squad winger for the most part. He's a waste of a wage and has shown little to prove that he will ever step up to the level that he could've attained. We have some potentially good young players like Bungie mentioned as well as Adnan, i would like to see them involved in the first team as they would at least give a damn on the pitch unlike Nani who is more concerned about getting wages on par with the top earners at the club.

And whilst we traditionally play with wingers there is no reason we cant change the team to play without them for a while either.

Nani is already a below par squad winger for the most part. He's a waste of a wage and has shown little to prove that he will ever step up to the level that he could've attained. We have some potentially good young players like Bungie mentioned as well as Adnan, i would like to see them involved in the first team as they would at least give a damn on the pitch unlike Nani who is more concerned about getting wages on par with the top earners at the club.

And whilst we traditionally play with wingers there is no reason we cant change the team to play without them for a while either.

I don't think the answer to selling Nani should be to play foetuses. That's extremely risky and in my view much more risky than hoping Nani has a productive season under a new manager.

I also don't think the answer is to not play wingers at all for 2 reasons:

1. In the PL you generally need width to break down the nasty uber-defensive fucks.

2. Doing so would require very talented CMs and... well... ya.

Clegg

We need Nani simply because he's more productive than any of our other wingers.

And I won't be able to watch the United game so United bro's will need to update this thread,every once in a while, and let us know how we're playing.

I expect many ADNAAAAAAAANNNNNN posts when he does something decent but relatively simple for any competent footballer. That's how we roll.

kharma45

I don't think the answer to selling Nani should be to play foetuses. That's extremely risky and in my view much more risky than hoping Nani has a productive season under a new manager.

I also don't think the answer is to not play wingers at all for 2 reasons:

1. In the PL you generally need width to break down the nasty uber-defensive fucks.

2. Doing so would require very talented CMs and... well... ya.

Its a risk, but so is hoping that Nani will actually produce this year and not just do his usual nothingness and then leave on a free at the end of the year.

I would love it as much as anyone for him to find consistency and actually be the player he could be but nothing since he joined bar that one good season has shown he will be able to do that. Again if he were to sign a new contract at a realistic wage that would be great as he's clearly better than Valencia and Young bur that seems unlikely.

Nani is great when he gives a fuck.

Problem is he rarely does, and always tries to score when a pass would have lead to a certain goal. No one denies that he has the (physical) talent, problem is he has the decision making of a Football Manager player AI.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This year is Marchisio's 20th with Juve.

JuveBros, how about that Vajebah Sakor, eh? Looks quite promising. I had no idea he was only 17. Damn. He's obviously still quite raw, but he was bossing it throughout the training camp period. Would be nice if Conte gave him some playtime tonight. Dude deserves it, as does Fausto Rossi, who could very well turn into a Giaccherini 2.0 for us. I say we keep him in the squad with Marrone.
978x.jpg
Don't get your hopes up Zabo. :(

Pasquato looked quite promising in preseason and now he's nowhere to be seen. Hell, I'm not even sure if he's still a footballer.

And think about it, if Marrone is barely playing, these guys won't even sniff the pitch.

Carbonox

Kitbag is still selling a Gomez Bayern shirt. If they removed it and/or replaced it with a Gotze/Thiago shirt, they'd have a buyer in me.

Jack cw

i doubt we'll wear it often anyways. last season they also sticked to the red one most of the time.
Last years CL jersey was probably the best away kit Bayern ever had. Too bad that we have worn it just on few occasions...
imago12846852h.jpg

With this years kit I'd be glad if we can hide it somehow.

Nani was pretty good in 2012 and 2010 as well. If you're complaining about bad form, why are you willing to excuse the other wingers when Nani was more productive than them? Valencia and Young topped the shitness chart over Nani last season. They were that shit.

And what happens if Rooney is sold? Nani having a good season is the only thing that would potentially save us if Rooney isn't replaced.

LegoArmo

If Nani and Rooney were both sold, United's entire creative spark would rest on the shoulders of a small Japanese man named Shinji.

Valencia, even at his best, offers nothing special, he's just a machine with a killer right boot. Nani has a bit of magic, he still has it, it's not gone.

kharma45

Nani was pretty good in 2012 and 2010 as well. If you're complaining about bad form, why are you willing to excuse the other wingers when Nani was more productive than them? Valencia and Young topped the shitness chart over Nani last season. They were that shit.

And what happens if Rooney is sold? Nani having a good season is the only thing that would potentially save us if Rooney isn't replaced.

When and where have i excused the other two? Both are dire, it just doesn't need to be said.

so we sell Rooney and have to rely on Nani? What a sad state of affairs that would be. Might as well hope that Welbeck will be our top scorer.

If Nani and Rooney were both sold, United's entire creative spark would rest on the shoulders of a small Japanese man named Shinji.

Valencia, even at his best, offers nothing special, he's just a machine with a killer right boot. Nani has a bit of magic, he still has it, it's not gone.

Flair does not equal creativity.

L1NETT

Nani wouldn't be a big miss. He was a bit part player last year, I think a title winning team can manage without a bit parter.

And he and rooney are the creative hub of United? Lol. R.V.P

When and where have i excused the other two? Both are dire, it just doesn't need to be said.

so we sell Rooney and have to rely on Nani? What a sad state of affairs that would be. Might as well hope that Welbeck will be our top scorer.

I don't want to rely on Nani if Rooney is sold, but there is no one to replace Rooney right now. That's just the way it is right now. James would have been perfect, but he was sold to Monaco. He could have been the attacking midfielder (even better as he could be put on the left and let Shinji work the middle) to replace Rooney. Relying on Nani is a gamble, but it's much better than just selling Rooney and Nani.

Nani is a better player than Young and Valencia. Nani's best season was better than their best, and his worst season was better than Young's and Valencia's worst season.

Nani - 3 goals, 6 assists
Young - 0 goals, 3 assists
Valencia - 1 goal, 7 assists

Nani had the fewest appearances of all of them too. Again, it would be a disaster if Nani and Rooney are sold. At least Nani provides a spark and has better technique than Young and Valencia. He can potentially turn the best season of all of them, but that isn't guaranteed as last season proved.

I can't stress enough that Rooney being sold, and keeping Nani is a gamble, but it's still better than just guaranteeing a shit season from the left wing next season.

LegoArmo

Flair does not equal creativity.

Nani can create something out of nothing, either with a long shot, a bit of skill, or his lightning pace, and close dribbling. You've got a short memory.

He might make the wrong decision sometimes, but it's there, he has it in his locker.

Nani wouldn't be a big miss. He was a bit part player last year, I think a title winning team can manage without a bit parter.

And he and rooney are the creative hub of United? Lol. R.V.P

Van Persie can create, but I'm assuming he'll be played the furthest up the field and be the main goal scorer. He can be pretty creative too, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be selling Nani, and I would be buying another winger on top of him too.

Feorax

Ryan Babel ‏@RyanBabel 7m
4 the LFC fans who have questions about Eriksen, i've gave him enough information about the club during past season.. so he understands LFC

Ryan Babel ‏@RyanBabel 4m
In my opinion its LFC who have to make the real effort to get him, then i'm confident for a good ending. #LFC

So basically, he's there if we want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom