• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were of Makelele's quality, yes. Carrick's a holding midfielder anyway. If he isn't busting a gut to get into the box, if he isn't coming out wide and stretching play, basically if he's holding his position in the centre of midfield... he's a holding midfielder.

Makelele is one of the most overrated footballers of all time. He was good at what he did, but then so was Park Ji Sung at being a defensive winger or Dirk Kuyt at being a defensive forward. They're all stupid positions that mask the fact that each of those players were essentially shitbags and couldn't cut it doing anything else at the top level.

Carrick isn't a holding midfielder. He doesn't play in that position. We've never deployed a holding midfielder under Fergie: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...guson-will-not-sign-a-holding-midfielder.aspx

"I don’t think we’ve had a holding player since I’ve been here. We’ve never had a holding player."

De Jong and Makelele are holding players. Carrick is a central midfielder.

The idea of us having a Makelele-esque shitbag makes me sick.

jtb

Banned
if we're willing to spend 40m, then we should be willing to spend 50m. this is what happens when you don't spend money, you eventually have to pay over the odds for somebody. at the end of the day, if you want a top player, you pay the extra 10m. no use having an extra Gervinho lying around anyways.

if it was a choice between Higuain + a DM + GK vs. Suarez I'd take the former without hesitation but that ship has clearly sailed.

Phil-Jones-008.jpg

He would be. Suarez would be amazing good if we surround him with the right players.

Bernard, Walcott, Cazorla and Wilshere all assisting Suarez and we will be awesome again.

Suarez is amazing no matter who you surround him with. Rather than looking for players to supply him, you'd do better looking for players to supplement him

Wilbur

Banned
I agree with Naughty, DM's suck.

Sometimes you have to have one...but I would hate for us to be using one every week.

Nah. Just needs to be part of a balanced side. Chelsea had Robben, Duff and Lampard in a diamond formation, then Makelele at the base. Worked every week.

Nah. Just needs to be part of a balanced side. Chelsea had Robben, Duff and Lampard in a diamond formation, then Makelele at the base. Worked every week.

Not saying it doesn't work.

Saying I don't like it.

That's not how they played anyway. It was a 4-3-3.

mil6es

fact of the matter is, Arsenal can talk to Suarez till they turn blue, Liverpool will say nope till they raise they amount to Torres money

Yep. In 08/09 we had two midfielders who normally didn't take a single step inside the opposition penalty area. Rather than making us negative though, it gave Gerrard the freedom to do what he wanted, Alonso the space and position to best utilise his assets, and Mascherano the freedom to sprint around like a mentalist slide tackling everything that moved. Also gave both fullbacks much more freedom to move forward as Masch moved across 10 yards to cover them.

------------------Mascherano-------------------

-----------------------------------Alonso---------

-----------------Gerrard-------------------------

I miss it :(

Salvadora

fact of the matter is, Arsenal can talk to Suarez till they turn blue, Liverpool will say nope till they raise they amount to Torres money

It shows that Arsenal are not dicking around. We wouldn't talk to a player we didn't want, even for season ticket renewals.

Get ready for another offer, soon.

Timurid

PSG have won 2 out the 3 friendlies so far. Another win against Real Cunts CF will establish that Blanc is a better coach than Moyes.

Mastadon

Banned
Most likely but while there is a chance we must try and get him.

It just seems like such an odd transfer on both sides. I really can't envisage a situation in which our Transfer Committee™ sit down and think that the way to achieve breaking back into the top four is to sell our best player to the weakest team in the current top four.

Makelele is one of the most overrated footballers of all time. He was good at what he did, but then so was Park Ji Sung at being a defensive winger or Dirk Kuyt at being a defensive forward. They're all stupid positions that mask the fact that each of those players were essentially shitbags and couldn't cut it doing anything else at the top level.

Yeah, you didn't watch Makelele play football. At least, not properly. Great player.

bobito

Banned
Good man. In return I will follow reading in the Championship. I always liked them. This board needs more Championship talk anyway.

Nice

Should get to see villa this season, my friend is starting a job as a equity trader in Birmingham and promised me a day at villa park

It'll be hard pressed to be as exciting as last year was. Championship was fucking amazing last season.

I just wish it got more press, I never know where to get my championship news apart from mates.

Why exactly?

I don't find that set up appealing. I think it's dull.

I like DM's like Busquets or Javi Martinez...they have a bit more about them and contribute more to the team moving forward. But I don't really like DM's like Makalele who would sit in a central area and do just that, even though it was very effective.

bud

the nigerian daily post, hahaha. i'm in fucking tears over here.

i never thought i'd see the nigerian daily post get mentioned in a football thread.

my cheeks hurt.

Shagwell

I wonder what on earth the point of rawk is. A Liverpool forum where nobody is allowed to discuss the transfer dealing for its best player. What else is there to discuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom