• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Not saying it doesn't work.

Saying I don't like it.

That's not how they played anyway. It was a 4-3-3.

The 2004/05 season there was a lot of diamond; Drogba and Gudjohnsen played up front, Robben and Duff on both wings and Lampard behind them. It was 2005/06 when Essien came in and they started playing the 3 in midfield.

Yep. In 08/09 we had two midfielders who normally didn't take a single step inside the opposition penalty area. Rather than making us negative though, it gave Gerrard the freedom to do what he wanted, Alonso the space and position to best utilise his assets, and Mascherano the freedom to sprint around like a mentalist slide tackling everything that moved. Also gave both fullbacks much more freedom to move forward as Masch moved across 10 yards to cover them.

Yeah that was a wonderfully balanced midfield; if Alonso dithered on the ball and lost it, Mascherano would clean up. If Masch was in trouble, play simple sideways pass to Xabi and let him find whoever he fucking wanted.

Our full backs get forward an awful lot but because Carrick isn't the most mobile of midfielders and his partner is one of Tom '0 Attributes' Clev, Fat Ando or old cunt Giggs, we struggle when getting countered. Bale waltzing through our entire team still gives me fucking nightmares

mil6es

It shows that Arsenal are not dicking around. We wouldn't talk to a player we didn't want, even for season ticket renewals.

Get ready for another offer, soon.

The joke is if they offered 50m+ Liverpool would snap Arsenal's hands off....also Wenger would still walk away a hero in fans eyes

Wilbur

Banned
I just wish it got more press, I never know where to get my championship news apart from mates.

Yeah apart from the FL show on at 1 in the morning while everyone turns off MOTD and the odd Guardian round up it's sadly neglected.

I don't find that set up appealing. I think it's dull.

I like DM's like Busquets or Javi Martinez...they have a bit more about them and contribute more to the team moving forward. But I don't really like DM's like Makalele who would sit in a central area and do just that, even though it was very effective.

I agree with you on the first two I suppose, but I really appreciate the intelligence of a player like Makelele. Being that effective so consistently takes some doing. He was just so quick to break up attacks, like he could see shit happening far before anyone else.

mil6es

I wonder what on earth the point of rawk is. A Liverpool forum where nobody is allowed to discuss the transfer dealing for its best player. What else is there to discuss?

haha you soon realise that RAWK is a totalitarian police state akin to North Korea in its hay day

Koko

Banned
PSG have won 2 out the 3 friendlies so far. Another win against Real Cunts CF will establish that Blanc is a better coach than Moyes.

I see that you misspelled Real Gentleman CF.

It's okay Timerda no hard feelings as long as when the time comes you send Verratti in our way.

rodvik

Nice

Should get to see villa this season, my friend is starting a job as a equity trader in Birmingham and promised me a day at villa park

I just wish it got more press, I never know where to get my championship news apart from mates.

Welcome to the club. We just lost 2-0 to non league Luton Town.

Lambert out!

:)

Salvadora

The joke is if they offered 50m+ Liverpool would snap Arsenal's hands off....also Wenger would still walk away a hero in fans eyes

Wenger should walk off a hero if we land Suarez. It would be a real coup after so many years in the wilderness.

The old Arsenal would be back.

L1NETT

Makelele, Viera, Keane, Silva,

Golden age.

Naughty, I think what you should be saying is that the old fashioned DM or holding mid is out of fashion.

Very few teams play with them anymore, such is modern football with these mad 4-6-0 and the fake number 10s and all this gee wizz.

Not to say they won't comeback or are useless, just many teams don't use them anymore.

But to say Mekelele is overrated? I know its subjective, but you are objectively wrong :p

Edit: Oh and new Childish Gambino for those who enjoy his stuff. https://soundcloud.com/childish-gambino/centipede

Keane wasn't really a DM until the end of his career.

all more holding/central defensively minded players. DM is just a name.

jtb

Banned
He would be. Suarez would be amazing good if we surround him with the right players.

Bernard, Walcott, Cazorla and Wilshere all assisting Suarez and we will be awesome again.

It's also a nice statement of intent. If we land someone like Suarez, we can tell anyone who whines about no ambition to shut the fuck up and sign a contract.

kharma45

Golden age.

Naughty, I think what you should be saying is that the old fashioned DM or holding mid is out of fashion.

Very few teams play with them anymore, such is modern football with these mad 4-6-0 and the fake number 10s and all this gee wizz.

Not to say they won't comeback or are useless, just many teams don't use them anymore.

But to say Mekelele is overrated? I know its subjective, but you are objectively wrong :p

Keane wasn't really a DM until the end of his career.

Yeah, you didn't watch Makelele play football. At least, not properly. Great player.

Yes, I did. I don't rate him as a player. How highly do you rate Park Ji Sung? Not too highly? Well I guess you didn't watch him properly in all the years that he was marking his opponents out of the game in big Champions League matches.

What was Makelele great at, other than breaking up attacks? Being great at one thing doesn't make a great footballer. He was great at what he did, there's no disputing that. There a million and one footballers who can do what he did but do other stuff as well.

Messi

On the plus side me and deGod got these today. Kits of the nicest club in Germany. DeGod also bought the away one.

9tamLyH.jpeg

deGod

So I got the two Dortmund jerseys today and I think I'll get Reid on one and Götze ist ein Verräter on the other.

Shit, Keane and Scholes really was just a wonderful CM pairing, they were wonderful together.

Now we have Anderson and Cleverley.

Why does bad stuff like that happen.

Golden age.

You don't think putting Makelele in the same sentence as Keane and Vieria is a bit ridiculous?

I do. They're both ten times the player Makelele was and examples of players who are great defensively and great at pretty much everything else. If we're looking at Makelele objectively, you can't call him a great footballer. He's a great defensive midfielder, which is the worst position there is.

kharma45

Shit, Keane and Scholes really was just a wonderful CM pairing, they were wonderful together.

Now we have Anderson and Cleverley.

Why does bad stuff like that happen.

Yeah that was a glorious CM partnership. Two nasty fuckers too.

Its weird that the box-to-box midfielder died out while Gerrard was still playing it, and we haven't used him as one since. Wonder if we decided he just didn't have the fitness to do it every week, season-in season-out

Yaya Toure still does box to box when he can be arsed.

Messi

jayz man you're never gonna find a woman whilst you beta it up obsessing over unobtainable wankbait celebrity.

Get out and get the work done. You got the power. I believe in you.

It was not about the wanking, of which I have not done of her in quite a while. it was just a place where I had friends with a common interest.

I agree with you on the first two I suppose, but I really appreciate the intelligence of a player like Makelele. Being that effective so consistently takes some doing. He was just so quick to break up attacks, like he could see shit happening far before anyone else.

Exactly. His positioning and anticipation was incredible. Selling him is up there with sacking del Bosque or passing on Eto'o as the biggest mistake of Galacticos era Madrid.

L1NETT

You don't think putting Makelele in the same sentence as Keane and Vieria is a bit ridiculous?

I do. They're both ten times the player Makelele was and examples of players who are great defensively and great at pretty much everything else. If we're looking at Makelele objectively, you can't call him a great footballer. He's a great defensive midfielder, which is the worst position there is.

I honestly don't know what to say lol.

I think Gilberto Silva is the best out of all of them, and I consider Makelele EASILY to be on their league.

On the bolded, just....i have no words. The worst position there is? I might be getting majorly trolled here but you aren;'t serious right? Did you seem him play often or was he a bit disappointing on Match of the Day?

I think Gilberto Silva is the best out of all of them, and I consider Makelele EASILY to be on their league.

On the bolded, just....i have no words. The worst position there is? I might be getting majorly trolled here but you aren;'t serious right? Did you seem him play often or was he a bit disappointing on Match of the Day?

G

T

F

O

Exactly. His positioning and anticipation was incredible. Selling him is up there with sacking del Bosque or passing on Eto'o as the biggest mistake of Galicticos era Madrid.

No, replacing him with Beckham/Helguara was the big mistake. You could have got Davids who was twice the player.

Messi

I really don't like Jennifer Morrison. Apart from the deGod thing, I don't think she is all that good looking nor is she a very good actress.

She always annoyed me on House and was a weak link that needed to be replaced.

Clegg

Keane wasn't particularly good when he converted to a defensive midfield position either.

There were three stages in his career. The all action box-to-box midfielder, the slightly more reserved central midfielder (where he played the best football of his career imo) and the DM/CB.

In his early/mid twenties Keane scored a fair few goals. He was box-to-box and would sprint 60 yards to get into a goal scoring opportunity. After his knee injury he came back and wasn't quite box to box anymore. He still got forward but not quite as often. His job was to win the ball and either carry it forward or lay it off to a winger/Scholes.

That sounds like a pretty crude description of his job but imo he was possibly the most influential midfielder in the world between 1998-2001. He was just that good. Then we his legs started to go and his hip became dodgy we converted him to a defensive midfielder.

Vidal reminds me a lot of Roy Keane actually. The box-to-box incarnation at least.

I can see why he'd think its the worst position tbf

Not expected to do anything going forward, and normally have others to sweep up if you fuck up going backward

You think Gilberto Silva is better than Keane and Vieira?

I saw him play all the time. He was good at one thing, breaking up attacks. That doesn't make him a great footballer. No one would call Gordon Banks a great footballer, you'd call him a great goalkeeper. Makelele is a great defensive midfielder but I still can name many much better than him.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh and Vidal is the best midfielder in the world and Clegg is completely right saying he reminds me of Keane. Scores goals, drives his team forward, does his bit defensively, brave and strong and influential. He's my dream signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom