• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
What options do we have on DM? Kondogbia is among the very young and promising ones in that position. I'd prefer to snatch him up now and make a gamble on it and if not now we should keep an eye on him and see how far he has developed after next season. I can say is that from some of the games I saw him play for Sevilla he did really good. He might be raw but it's nothing that can't be fixed and something we'd have to account for considering his age. Let's not forget that he's the target of other clubs too which could raise the price

As for GK we don't have that many choices left. Lopez, Marchetti and probably someone or some others I am missing.

As for CB I'll say it again, Adil Rami would be a very good choice but I don't how much Valencia would want from him.

I agree on what you said about Ryo. He hasn't convinced me that he has it, maybe it would be better to send him out on a loan again. Wenger is seeing something in this kid.

if Fellaini really does have a 24m release clause then fuck Suarez, signing Fellaini needs to be our absolute number one priority imo.

Went to this game. YNWA was nice, but the rest of the game was pathetic. Melbourne-based Liverpool supporters were routinely booing Melbourne Victory - makes no sense. We call them 'euro snobs' here. Also, the only other time the Liverpool fans chanted anything was 'We Want Suarez'. Why a guy who is trying to force a move out of the club, is a racist and bites people is revered so much by them is beyond me.

The Melbourne youth team (good players were overseas with Australia/injured) did pretty well though - there was one stage where they passed it 40-50 times and 'Pool were just chasing shadows.

I believe Gerrard scored 10 seconds after that phase of play

#TikiTaka

Is there anything more boring than listening to 50+ year old footballers talking about the old days?

I love how one of the best SPL players is barely good enough for a joke team in the Championship

Wilbur

Banned
I don't like Young I just think he's extremely harshly done by on here.

And how the fuck can you expect me to like Welbeck? John O'Shea would do a better fucking job for us up front.

If you can't see that Welbeck is a talented footballer then... I dunno. Two seasons ago he was top for us. He was top for Sunderland. Even if he was shite at scoring he was still good for us last year. Needs to work on his composure massively but he's fast, strong, tricky, unpredictable and he's a local lad. I love Danny.

Thinks Riquelme is the GOAT.

:lol :lol

Good player, but fuck me was he a lazy cunt. Even more than Berbatov.

Salvadora

What options do we have on DM? Kondogbia is among the very young and promising ones in that position. I'd prefer to snatch him up now and make a gamble on it and if not now we should keep an eye on him and see how far he has developed after next season. I can say is that from some of the games I saw him play for Sevilla he did really good. He might be raw but it's nothing that can't be fixed and something we'd have to account for considering his age. Let's not forget that he's the target of other clubs too which could raise the price

As for GK we don't have that many choices left. Lopez, Marchetti and probably someone or some others I am missing.

As for CB I'll say it again, Adil Rami would be a very good choice but I don't how much Valencia would want from him.

I agree on what you said about Ryo. He hasn't convinced me that he has it, maybe it would be better to send him out on a loan again. Wenger is seeing something in this kid.
Cesar is the best we can hope for on the goalkeeping front as we're adverse to spending a dime there. It makes me want to weep looking at how United, Spurs etc.. have managed to solve goalkeeping problems with such ease. While we continue to fumble around like a three legged donkey. Lopez just isn't available, Suen. He would cost so much and wouldn't even want to come here. And that's ignoring the fact that Madrid won't sell.

On the CB and DM front I'm flummoxed. Some of the guys here posted a list of the world class CBs and it was incredibly short. The DM list would look very similar. They're just not out there.

I don't like Young I just think he's extremely harshly done by on here.

And how the fuck can you expect me to like Welbeck? John O'Shea would do a better fucking job for us up front.
He was doing as badly as Kagawa in that shootout, wasn't he? Shocking for a player in his position

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BP-Tty7CUAAr-Zw.jpg:large

Barzul

Ryo really hasn't shown me anything so far to indicate that he has any future with us. Wenger has acknowledged that he isn't fit (which makes me wonder why he's even playing) so that could be the reason, but every other youngster has displayed a level of talent that we just haven't see with Ryo yet. I hope it's there. I'm beginning to think that Japanese, and Asian players in general, just aren't cut out for the EPL.

I would be very angry if Suarez and Bernard was the limit of our summer. It would show a complete lack of awareness for our squad problems. We need to bring in a goalkeeper, a CB, and a defensive midfielder at the very least to challenge for something. Kondogbia stood alongside Pogba in the final of the U20 world cup and looked like a real prospect. The only potential problem there is that he's very raw and wouldn't be ready for us, which isn't what I want really.
Read from someone on twitter that the reason we haven't signed a traditional midfielder yet is because we're waiting to see if Barcelona do agree to let Cesc go.

Plasma

Banned
Read from someone on twitter that the reason we haven't signed a traditional midfielder yet is because we're waiting to see if Barcelona do agree to let Cesc go.

That would be a bit silly we need to sign a DM, if Cesc came in we'd just have to shift Cazorla out on the wing and we wouldn't have to replace Gervinho.

Yup, getting used to it now.

Thankfully the heat has died down the past 2 days.

----------

Wilfred Zaha will win 'PL Young Player of the Year'. Bookmark it. Wilbs, lets avatar bet.

Obviously. He's young, English, plays for Man Utd, cost £15m and will look like fucking Peledona compared to your other wingers.

Salvadora

That would be a bit silly we need to sign a DM, if Cesc came in we'd just have to shift Cazorla out on the wing and we wouldn't have to replace Gervinho.
That would make sense as Gervinho is irreplaceable.

I just can't see where this DM is coming from, if at all. Wenger really shit the bed on that one.

jtb

Banned
the fact that we aren't linked with any even remotely defensive players is pretty alarming. As much as I would love Cesc (lol never happening sadly) or Suarez, we need a new GK and DM. those are non-negotiable. then a CB would be nice. the fact that we're linked with a player like Bernard, who I assume is quality but in a position that we already have plenty of decent, if not great, players doesn't bode well for the coming season.

Barzul

I'd sign Cesc any day just to stop Man Utd from getting him, can only what a Cesc/RVP combo would look like in that team? *shudders*

Barzul

Wenger does seem to be moving away from the traditional defensive midfielder, our best form last season was with Arteta and Ramsey in the middle. I can easily see Wilshere replacing Arteta in our formation and Cesc slotting into CAM. Wilshere hasn't really impressed me as the most advanced midfielder.

kharma45

If you can't see that Welbeck is a talented footballer then... I dunno. Two seasons ago he was top for us. He was top for Sunderland. Even if he was shite at scoring he was still good for us last year. Needs to work on his composure massively but he's fast, strong, tricky, unpredictable and he's a local lad. I love Danny.

Top my arse. It's nice that we've tried to give someone local a chance but Welbeck isn't good enough for United, he will probably end up taking a step down and moving away from OT or stay in the team as rotation players for a long time without ever nailing down a place of his own. Welbeck featured in 39 matches in all competitions and scored 2 goals, and I don't care if he was out of position at times that's a fucking abysmal return.

We have given Welbeck too many chances. I used to hope he'd come good, but I'm tired of his shit. His footwork at best can be enough to create space, but his worst is just abysmal. Mix that in with his awful balance and right there you have a recipe for disaster, as shown many times on the pitch. His aerial ability is his only shining quality, but it's overshadowed by his finishing, which is at best poor.

Could you see another top club wanting Welbeck? No, because he's a fucking useless carthorse.

He was doing as badly as Kagawa in that shootout, wasn't he? Shocking for a player in his position

What is this?

Wes

venison crêpe
Sun

DAVID MOYES has a week to decide whether to sign Marouane Fellaini.

The Everton star has a buyout clause of £22million — but that only stands until July 31.

Then Moyes’ old club will be able to name their price and it will undoubtedly go up.

Manchester United manager Moyes has been knocked back once by Everton this summer after making a £12m bid for left-back Leighton Baines.

Now he is concentrating on getting midfield ace Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.

That is looking a forlorn hope with two bids being turned down — including a club-record £31m offer.

United are now considering one more bid of £35m.

jtb

Banned
Wenger does seem to be moving away from the traditional defensive midfielder, our best form last season was with Arteta and Ramsey in the middle. I can easily see Wilshere replacing Arteta in our formation and Cesc slotting into CAM. Wilshere hasn't really impressed me as the most advanced midfielder.

He hasn't really believed in a traditional defensive midfielder for a long time now. he's made that abundantly clear when he let Song and Flamini go and thought that they weren't worth replacing. Personally, I think he couldn't be more wrong in that belief but we'll see.

Ramsey doesn't convince me. He was solid towards the end of last season, but he was pretty terrible at the beginning of last season—one game on the wing at the Etihad aside. And I don't trust Wilshere playing as the midfield enforcer; he's got the right attitude but his body doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence. And Diaby... well, what the fuck Wenger was thinking there, I have no idea.

edit: agree that Wilshere didn't look very good playing further forward.

He's had two broken legs in a very short period of time, all while advancing in age. It was predictable that he would put in performances like he has.

One of the United bros might have it. I believe it was a open training or pre-match game and Shinji and Welbeck were the two left standing.

It was Kagawa and Evra.

Welbeck scored with his first attempt I think, best shot he's ever taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom