• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

BQDLu9xCEAA53oo.jpg

#moyesboy

We have the best bromances.

Mertesacker + Podolski.
Giroud + Koscielny.
Arteta + Cazorla.
All the English lads together.

LTWheels

I agree. But considering he commands a minimum £20m offer with or without Suarez I don't see an out-and-out striker being a priority. That money needs to go towards another centre midfielder, winger, or centre back imho.

We need another left back. Robinson is not ready yet to play back up to Enrique. We can't keep playing Johnson on the left as cover.

I think we may be ok at centre back. There is no point getting another centre back unless we sell Coates and/or Skrtel. I think that people are too quick to write off Skrtel. Remember the season before he was player of our season. Martin Kelly is back from injury now and there is Wisdom as back-up to the back-ups. We have 6 players capable of playing centre back.

I don't think we need another central midfielder. Again this position is quite heavily stacked. Lucas, Gerrard, Alan, Henderson, Alberto, and Spearing. I expect Spearing to be sold or go on loan. Even still we are very well covered in that position, with 5 players that all bring something different to the game. We actually have a lot of variety to how we can play in midfield.

We definitely need another winger. We essentially have one proper winger in Downing. As much as he has improved over last season, it would be nice to have a better out-and-out winger. Sterling and Ibe are still young and should not be expected to make the difference. We have Aspas, Alberto, Coutinho, Sturridge and Henderson to play inverted strikers. Ideally you want to play with one inverted striker and one winger. Without one winger we lack width. It puts a lot of pressure on both the fullbacks to be providing the width if we play with two inverted strikers.

We could do with another central attacking midfielder. Currently only really have Coutinho to play there with Henderson and Alberto as back ups.

I think we could do with another forward if Suarez is being sold. Suarez adds great flexibility as he can be played out wide as well as up front. This flexibility allows Sturridge and Suarez to play in the same side. I think we could do with another dedicated striker is Suarez is being sold. As great as Sturridge is, he is quite injury prone. Get another out-and-out striker that we can play in the same side with Sturridge being out wide.

Meier

No clue the validity of this but supposedly Spurs have bid £19m for Dzeko. He'd be a great fit there.. when he gets to play every week, he can be absolutely world class. I'd hate to sell within the league but that'd be a good fee for him. Would be a better signing than Soldado on pretty much every level.

jesalr

Relax dude. Baldini managed to get Soldado to agree to join us and a €30m offer is on the table. I think Valencia are trying to get a replacement in the pipeline before they rubber stamp it.

Some 'ITKs' are saying it'll be sorted this weekend, so now I feel less confident than ever. I feel like not a single one of them has been right this summer.

bobito

Banned
I tried to sign on and they said no :(

Where you gonna be starting working?

BTW, who do you support? I'm sure you've been asked but I missed it.

You have to have graduated when you sign on, that might of been why?

I'm starting at Deloitte doing audit, not the best compared to my investment banker friends but at least it's more chilled/ a job.

I support Reading but we've done most of our transfer business I think and friendlies are a waste of time so waiting until the start of the season!

My contract is 50 euro a month

Messi check out hot uk deals!

No clue the validity of this but supposedly Spurs have bid £19m for Dzeko. He'd be a great fit there.. when he gets to play every week, he can be absolutely world class. I'd hate to sell within the league but that'd be a good fee for him.

Woah, that would be good for Spurs. Dzeko is a beast, his finishing is lethal. Can imagine him scoring a bucket-load for Spurs. Think that would be a nice fit.

£19m is reasonable too, for both parties. Wages though....those wages....

Meier

£19m is reasonable too, for both parties. Wages though....those wages....

From what I'd read before, his wages are pretty reasonable. Definitely in the low 100s -- something like £115k or so. Still quite a lot for Spurs but nothing like Tevez or Balotelli were on. He'd probably be willing to cut his wages a bit to play every week I'd bet.

jtb

Banned
honestly, I'm surprised we've seemingly given up on Rooney. maybe he wouldn't want to come, I dunno, but still—it makes more sense than a Suarez to all parties involved. United probably don't see us as a title threat (certainly compared to Chelsea), Rooney's a proven quantity. I don't really think Liverpool have any chance of qualifying for CL this season, but if they sell Suarez, that low probability will go even lower... and towards strengthening the weakest CL club no less.

also, if Dzeko goes for ~20m or so, I'd take him over Suarez too. 50m is a steep steep price...

You have to have graduated when you sign on, that might of been why?

I'm starting at Deloitte doing audit, not the best compared to my investment banker friends but at least it's more chilled/ a job.

I support Reading but we've done most of our transfer business I think and friendlies are a waste of time so waiting until the start of the season!
Yeah I graduated last year. I was working up until May/June so apparently it's because I've already earned enough money this year so I don't qualify. Some crap like that, sounded ridiculous to me but I just couldn't be bothered to contest it.

That's awesome, sounds great. I was considering applying to Delloite also.

And screw investment banking! At least you'll still have a life! Did work exp at one of them, was horrendous.

bobito

Banned
Yeah I graduated last year. I was working up until May/June so apparently it's because I've already earned enough money this year so I don't qualify. Some crap like that, sounded ridiculous to me but I just couldn't be bothered to contest it.

That's awesome, sounds great. I was considering applying to Delloite also.

And screw investment banking! At least you'll still have a life! Did work exp at one of them, was horrendous.

Cheers mate, where are you working come September?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Malmo beat Hibs 7-0.

Shame how shite the quality of the SPL is.
Nah, that's just UEFA's shitty cup-runner up Europe spot if the winners are already in rule. Hibs should be nowhere near Europe given they finished in the bottom half of the SPL.

On the other hand, St Johnstone defeated Rosenborg over two legs tonight and are still undefeated in nearly 40 years at home in Europe.

K1LLER7

"Cesc Fabregas has told friends in England that he wants to quit FC Barcelona for Manchester United. [mail]"

By Ian Ladyman.

Barca need to send another letter.

Messi

Barca vs Milan on fox soccer, nearly over. But I love this ending.

edit: awwww I wanna play fifa with suarez and give him a hug.

BigBoss

How should I feel about this?

Samuel would be horrible I feel but Vergini would be a good buy and it wouldn't cost that much. I haven't seen Vergini play that much but what little I've seen of him at Newells he seems like a quality defender.

Messi

Samuel would be horrible I feel but Vergini would be a good buy and it wouldn't cost that much. I haven't seen Vergini play that much but what little I've seen of him at Newells he seems like a quality defender.

Has there been movement on any other bigger targets, assuming we are not gonna get Silva now.

Cheers mate, where are you working come September?
Civil Service Faststream. Gonna be based at the Dep of Health.

Assuming you're gonna be working in London?

"Cesc Fabregas has told friends in England that he wants to quit FC Barcelona for Manchester United. [mail]"

By Ian Ladyman.

Barca need to send another letter.
Ladyman is good.

This doesn't surprise me though. As we speculated Fabregas must have told United he wants to come or we wouldn't be bidding for him. But it seems he is telling Barca and people in Spain something different. It's a win-win for him, either he moves to United and gets paid loads and it's his team...or he gets to stay at Barca on a bumper contract with more assurances. Personally I think he is angling for the latter.

Slizz

Ladyman is good.

This doesn't surprise me though. As we speculated Fabregas must have told United he wants to come or we wouldn't be bidding for him. But it seems he is telling Barca and people in Spain something different. It's a win-win for him, either he moves to United and gets paid loads and it's his team...or he gets to stay at Barca on a bumper contract with more assurances. Personally I think he is angling for the latter.

Yup, he ain't trying to move out of Spain again.

BigBoss

Has there been movement on any other bigger targets, assuming we are not gonna get Silva now.

The only other option that we were looking at was Marquinhos and that's not happening now, I feel Barcelona doesn't want to break the bank on a defender.

Messi

The only other option that we were looking at was Marquinhos and that's not happening now, I feel Barcelona doesn't want to break the bank on a defender.

It would be great if we got someone. The defence is a joke right now. I see Puyol is still not fit.

Shagwell

I think we may be ok at centre back. There is no point getting another centre back unless we sell Coates and/or Skrtel. I think that people are too quick to write off Skrtel. Remember the season before he was player of our season. Martin Kelly is back from injury now and there is Wisdom as back-up to the back-ups. We have 6 players capable of playing centre back.

See, that's the thing. Coates is a good defender but he isn't a Rodgers defender. That's evidenced by the complete lack of opportunity Rodgers has given him since he's come in. Coates will be a decent defender for another team but he doesn't fit into Rodgers' philosophy and may as well not be considered as a centre-back on the books. And if we're trying to evolve into a team with an embedded philosophy, then we need to minimize the time he gets on the pitch. Our defence was poor last season, no two ways about it. Skrtel may regain his form but should anything happen to either him or Agger, we suddenly look pretty short in defense. The way I see it before we signed Touré most were in agreement that we probably needed another centre-back. Toure only replaced Carra as our experienced backup defender. But since Coates isn't a genuine option (in my eyes, and Rodgers' too, I think) that leaves us with two truly starting-calibre, fit-the-philosophy defenders.

I do think that Wisdom is a good shout, though. I think if we were looking at the likes of Papadopolous then Wisdom is in the same mould. He's nowhere near there yet, but he could definitely be turned into the right sort of player for us. As for Kelly, that's a different argument but I think the most we can expect for him as of now is to be a right-back. I wouldn't put my money on him staying fit for a season, either. Though I do think if he does manage it there's a brilliant player in there (and ultimately a centre-back).

I don't think we need another central midfielder. Again this position is quite heavily stacked. Lucas, Gerrard, Alan, Henderson, Alberto, and Spearing. I expect Spearing to be sold or go on loan. Even still we are very well covered in that position, with 5 players that all bring something different to the game. We actually have a lot of variety to how we can play in midfield.

That's the only other bit of your post I'd also have to disagree with. We often employ three centre midfielders (I don't like calling formations by their numbers because let's face it, it's a lot more fluid than that). For starters, I'm of the opinion that Luis Alberto is another attacking midfielder. He's not going to be sitting in the center of the pitch for us. He'll be a Coutinho back-up far as I'm concerned. And Spearing doesn't even count in my eyes. So that really leaves you three starting positions with four viable starters. By the numbers that doesn't feel safe to me. You need another person in there. Which would certainly explain to me why we were looking at the likes of Mkhitryan or Eriksen, who are more versatile centre midfielders.

Anyway, it's all opinions and what not at the end of the day. Basically my point was that £20m could be used to build a better squad than we currently have. Sturridge, Borini, and Aspas (who, by all accounts, is a centre forward) is more than enough imo. Throwing Soldado into the mix isn't really necessary, especially for that kind of money. I'd much prefer someone versatile enough to play across the front three, rather than an out-and-out number 9.

K1LLER7

Ladyman is good.

Yeah. I feel he wants to play as a starter and in the big games. He knows United will offer him that, but with Thiago leaving, it strengthens his position a considerable amount. Barca may have rejected the last 2 offers, but maybe they wouldn't be able to turn down a £40m offer. They could use it to bring in a top quality defender which they definitely need.

I'm just suprised Barca haven't released an official statement (iirc) regarding Cesc and these rumours.

Yeah. I feel he wants to play as a starter and in the big games. He knows United will offer him that, but with Thiago leaving, it strengthens his position a considerable amount. Barca may have rejected the last 2 offers, but maybe they wouldn't be able to turn down a £40m offer. They could use it to bring in a top quality defender which they definitely need.

I'm just suprised Barca haven't released an official statement (iirc) regarding Cesc and these rumours.

They aren't gonna sell him unless we put down a crazy bid. I have no faith in us doing that - so yeah.

Fellaini's clause expires soon right, I'm hoping that means we get that sorted quickly. Even though there is very very little which suggests we want him...surely we do right...surely.

K1LLER7

They aren't gonna sell him unless we put down a crazy bid. I have no faith in us doing that - so yeah.

Fellaini's clause expires soon right, I'm hoping that means we get that sorted quickly. Even though there is very very little which suggests we want him...surely we do right...surely.
I don't think we want him :( #IAMITK

Come August, Moyes should just drop Rooney into midfield alongside Carrick. Let Kagawa play behind RVP.

Lightning

Banned
honestly, I'm surprised we've seemingly given up on Rooney. maybe he wouldn't want to come, I dunno, but still—it makes more sense than a Suarez to all parties involved. United probably don't see us as a title threat (certainly compared to Chelsea), Rooney's a proven quantity. I don't really think Liverpool have any chance of qualifying for CL this season, but if they sell Suarez, that low probability will go even lower... and towards strengthening the weakest CL club no less.

also, if Dzeko goes for ~20m or so, I'd take him over Suarez too. 50m is a steep steep price...
Suarez is better than Pooney!!

Get Suarez in the door ASAP Arsene!!!!

You no want Suarez? Lol madness from Arsenal fans.

Pachimari

Wait, Kondogbia to Real Madrid is a done deal? Apparently Inter got their bid rejected.

Jese and Cherysev will also be first team players at Real Madrid this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom