• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie

Banned
Ok. This may take a moment.

---

BPe-DdcCUAAo21I.jpg:large
It's just the last page of the Manshion OT.

Collymore is doing his job.

The more people he winds up the better job he's done.

They don't have serious debates on talksport. They want callers who call in wound up who talk really fast and get really mad. It can be entertaining tbf.

Wes

venison crêpe
Have you seen Some Like it Hot?

It stars Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.

Of course. That's a truly great film. There are a number of things I was forced to watch growing up because my mother and sister demanded it was the only thing on TV when it was airing.

Among those include Some Like It Hot, BBCs Pride & Prejudice and Strictly Ballroom.

It's a good example of what I like about the older films, the wit is of a much higher quality than you would find in the majority of modern films.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
969933_602966353058588_1833097092_n.png

Its fact, its all fact and fact is it all

FACT

....Factregas?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Collymore is doing his job.

The more people he winds up the better job he's done.

They don't have serious debates on talksport. They want callers who call in wound up who talk really fast and get really mad. It can be entertaining tbf.

Calling it talksport is kind of a joke considering everytime I listened to Keys and Grey last season there was more talk about "Wicks quality sand two for one special deal this weekend". I understand commercials support the station, what I dont understand is why there are more commercials in the hour than actual program

The game has changed, England really needs to start focusing on technical attributes at a younger stage. I don't know how it is these days, but it always seemed to me like the norm in English academies was for scouts and coaches to pick the big, tall, strong player. Odds are you can turn a technician who's flimsy dude into a strong player, a slow dude into a faster player, much more easily than the opposite.

Meier

Some apparent quotes from Jo-Jo:
“I had some great years with the Viola jersey,” Jovetic told Firenzeviola.it.

“I arrived as a young boy but I leave as a man and a player. Thank you to everyone. I will always carry Florence in my heart, but most of all the Fiorentina fans that really liked me a lot.

“Right now they are a bit upset and that is normal, but I never said anything bad about them or against them or against Fiorentina.

“But try to understand me, I am still young and I know that I gave everything for this shirt so I wanted a change of scenery. It’s allowed, right?

“Why Manchester City? Because they are an important club that play in the Premier League. I really want to win something. And I will find my good friend [Matija] Nastasic.”
http://forzaitalianfootball.com/201...-fans-after-sealing-move-to-manchester-city/?

The game has changed, England really needs to start focusing on technical attributes at a younger stage. I don't know how it is these days, but it always seemed to me like the norm in English academies was for scouts and coaches to pick the big, tall, strong player. Odds are you can turn a technician who's flimsy dude into a strong player, a slow dude into a faster player, much more easily than the opposite.
That culture did start to change over the past few years and alot of the younger players are much better technically.

However clubs were only allowed very limited time with any player under the age of 16/17 and in addition they had to live close by to the club. That meant they didn't get anywhere near enough time recieving coaching. This has just changed.

It's not the only factor of course, but it's one of them.

pulga

Banned
United want Bale now? Good lord this is getting embarrassing, nobody wants to play for fucking David Moyes and you don't have the money anyway. If Real Madrid have given up then there is no chance in hell that we would sell him to United.

Just buy Fellaini and start playing long balls already. These stories are making my toes curl, United do not have the money to compete for the best young players, certainly not Bale.

My sides

and now they want Modric! HA!

These United muppets are making my transfer window

LegoArmo

I want to see what happens when you take a child from birth and groom him to be a footballer at a really young age, eats all the right foods, all the right training.

Would it create another Messi or are certain people just born with it?

Wes

venison crêpe
Hitchcock is among my favourites. I watched Rear Window for the umpteenth time last week. So good.

Grace Kelly perhaps the most attractive woman in the history of cinema?

I want to see what happens when you take a child from birth and groom him to be a footballer at a really young age, eats all the right foods, all the right training.

A new book has just come out which touches on this kind of thing, arguing that your genetic make up is pretty crucial to your talent level.

What you've outlined is a bit like that 10,000 hour theory which has often been debunked.

Ashsturm

Seeing City and Chelsea throw around yet more money really is killing my anticipation for the new season. Unless Moyes is able to get off to a great start the league is going to turn into a slightly more wealthy La Liga

Linius

Hitchcock is among my favourites. I watched Rear Window for the umpteenth time last week. So good.

Grace Kelly perhaps the most attractive woman in the history of cinema?

I felt weird for falling in love with a woman who passed away before I was born. That is what Rear Window does to people. Great movie, stunning actress. Vertigo is my all time favourite movie.

Love Kubrick too btw. Have almost seen all of his films now.

Meier

Just saw Carlitos' first goal for Juventus -- very nice. He looks great in their kit.. seems like he cut his hair or something too. Looks a bit different in general.

He will be incredible for them.. very sad to see him go but happy for their great fans in this thread.

Wilbur

Banned
Touch of Evil is a brilliant movie.

Wes, some films from my letterboxd I love. Haven't seen too much to be honest -

40s
- On the Town
- Rope

50s
- Rashomon
- Seven Samurai
- Calamity Jane
- 12 Angry Men

60s
- The Apartment (if you haven't seen this, it's a masterpiece)
- Lolita
- Once Upon A Time In The West

70s
- Dog Day Afternoon
- murder by death
- The conformist

Giggzy

I'll find out someday. That's exactly what I'm going to do when I have kids. My girlfriend has already approved the idea.

LegoArmo

A new book has just come out which touches on this kind of thing, arguing that your genetic make up is pretty crucial to your talent level.

What you've outlined is a bit like that 10,000 hour theory which has often been debunked.

It's really interesting. Also seeing great footballers of the past's children fail to live up to their father, or even be very good at all (I'm looking at you Jordi).

Wilbur

Banned
and read the book too while you're at it. Nabokov.
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Been slowly getting through Ada or Ardor for a months time now, his prose is mindbogglingly awesome.

Yeah, he's an exceptional writer. One of few I can read absolutely effortlessly.

Vonnegut is my favourite though. Holy shit, Del Toro has asked Charlie Kaufman to write a Slaughterhouse-Five script hnngggggghhhhh

Wilbur

Banned
Not liking City's signings at all. Negredo, Jovetic (who?), Navas, and Fernandinho... Most of these players are bench warmers in their national team.

u wot m8

Jovetic is Montenegro's best player (sorry baby Vucinic) and a genuinely talented player. Navas gives them real width. Negredo, despite not being amazing, is a proper goal threat.

I don't know too much of Fernandinho but by all accounts he's a top player. City will be fine this year.

Yeah, he's an exceptional writer. One of few I can read absolutely effortlessly.

Vonnegut is my favourite though. Holy shit, Del Toro has asked Charlie Kaufman to write a Slaughterhouse-Five script hnngggggghhhhh

Never read anything by Vonnegut despite goodreads recommending him to me all the time. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom