• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Your Director of Football is Joe Kinnear. Your manager has a 7 year contract. Your best defender can't wait to leave. The right back you salivated over for months is shit anyway. Your only striker who's ever been good hides behind his religion so he could get a payrise. You're sponsored by a gang of loansharks. You haven't won anything since like 1935. Nobody is interested in buying your best players, because they're still brass. Your defensive midfielder is incapable of kicking a ball with any degree of accuracy, and commits more fouls than successful passes. You used to employ Nile Ranger. You still employ Shola Ameobi. You blew away the half-season wonder, and got yourselves a 3-game wonder. You're owned by Mike Ashley. Your stadium was, for a time, called the Sports Direct Arena. You're going to get relegated this season.

Fuck off

i2qNgbY0JB68q.gif

I'm so sad no one responded positively to my fanfic. I put blood, sweat and other fluids into that.

Way to make a junior feel welcome guys... :(

I said it was good you schmuck!

Salvadora

Why don't other clubs do it then?

We only have to look across the water to see the major Spanish clubs linked with every player in the universe.

It's Bob in Hull who gets out of his white van to pick up a ploughman's lunch and a copy of the Sun, seeing that Ronnie is coming home.

I believe that Ed Woodward believes that.

The fact that we haven't signed a world class player in his prime for the going rate since Veron in 2001 has certainly damaged our reputation.

Our failure to land any of our "top targets", i.e. Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas, 26, or Real Madrid's Luka Modric, 27, and having to settle for the likes of Everton's Marouane Fellaini, 25, or Wigan's James McCarthy, 22, is damaging our reputation and making us look like the joke of European football.
That's a separate issue.

United are linked with numerous players every summer, some of them genuine targets we don't get for reasons we all know...and some others because they're just rumours.

If United were purposely leaking names to the media to try and sell season tickets, they would have stopped doing it by now because it doesn't work. We haven't sold out season tickets for a good few years now. The logic behind that argument is just plain inconsistent. It's a nice theory for a cynic but there's very little evidence for it.

RVP is world class and you got him in his absolute prime.

RVP is world class and he is in his prime, the only issue is that we waited until he was in the last year of his contract to sign the Dutchman, 29.

United have a reputation of bargain hunters. The going rate for a player of RVP's ability is double what we paid for him. It's affected our reputation which is why we're never linked to the top talents except for when Woodward leaks such bullshit to the press.

RVP is world class against Aston Villa.

And Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City. what's your point?

I'm so sad no one responded positively to my fanfic. I put blood, sweat and other fluids into that.

Way to make a junior feel welcome guys... :(

Juniors have to work for their spot, we're afraid of getting in love with one since there's always the fear of them getting perm'd.

We've had too many casualties.

That's a separate issue.

United are linked with numerous players every summer, some of them genuine targets we don't get for reasons we all know...and some others because they're just rumours.

If United were purposely leaking names to the media to try and sell season tickets, they would have stopped doing it by now because it doesn't work. We haven't sold out season tickets for a good few years now. The logic behind that argument is just plain inconsistent. It's a nice theory for a cynic but there's very little evidence for it.

How do you know it doesn't work? This is the first team we've done anything like this.

jtb

Banned
why does reputation even matter? especially if its for something harmless like bargain buying—isn't that a good thing?

Salazar

It's gone beyond pessimism into squealing baby noises territory now.

Joke of European football, lol. You are sub-redcafe material.

why does reputation even matter? especially if its for something harmless like bargain buying—isn't that a good thing?

Reputation matters when attracting the top talents. The reason Madrid are the team everyone wants to play for is because they've always had the reputation of signing the world's best players.

Bargain buying is not a good thing when you understand the politics of United. The Glazers are one of the few owners involved with top level football that have zero interest in the sport other than exploiting it to make money. While signing RVP for £24m is a good thing, the policy itself is a bad thing.

Chipotle

Or Zaha! Genuinely think your wingers will do better this season because they have to.

Although I think Valencia is gone for good.

Valencia being good was a bit of a fluke and because of other teams being shit imo. He always did the same thing and all we did was pass to him, he crossed to Rooney and we'd score. Again and again. Got silly really.

Maybe it's just wingers though. Has there been a traditional winger who's been good for a few seasons running in recent times?

Batigol

Banned
and it's the worst season of the show IMO. still BB's worst season is better than 99% shows on TV right now.

S2 isn't too bad. It's just really slow. Like, nothing happens.

I'm on S3. I'm up to episode 6

Nothing has happened at all, really :(

Really?

You forgetting all the players we've been linked to the last few summers?

Linked =/= confirmation.

Fabregas is a confirmed bid that everyone in the world knew had no chance of happening. Moyes has gone on about it for weeks until Barcelona told us to just shut up and stop bidding.

K1LLER7

Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 1h
Believe Spurs and Vcf done Soldado deal - likeable, hard working top pro. Sad to see him leave but sure he'll succeed

Congrats on 4th place Spurs gaf

jtb

Banned
if Spurs get Soldado without having to sell any players, that will be one hell of an improvement for their squad.

Linked =/= confirmation.

Fabregas is a confirmed bid that everyone in the world knew had no chance of happening. Moyes has gone on about it for weeks until Barcelona told us to just shut up and stop bidding.

Okay, so you're saying the bid for Fabregas is the first time United have basically "set-up" a transfer story so that we get positive press/buy season tickets?

Salvadora

I think at this point I would rather Arsenal be in the hands of a Uzbek gangster than Kroenke. He may not be as bad as the Glazers but I believe he doesn't give one fuck about football.

At least Usmanov cares about Arsenal and we could leverage his underworld connections. Could threaten our wantaway players and kidnap Cesc and co.
Valencia being good was a bit of a fluke and because of other teams being shit imo. He always did the same thing and all we did was pass to him, he crossed to Rooney and we'd score. Again and again. Got silly really.

Maybe it's just wingers though. Has there been a traditional winger who's been good for a few seasons running in recent times?
Valencia is pretty much the biggest one trick pony I've seen. It's still jaw dropping that the whole world found him out at the same time, though.

Chipotle

Valencia is pretty much the biggest one trick pony I've seen. It's still jaw dropping that the whole world found him out at the same time, though.

It's sad really. It worked really well for a while but now he looks lost all the time. Still shows what you can do just sticking to a tactic that suits a player for a while. Kind of like what you do when you play FM with a lower league team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom