• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

I don't dislike United or its fans, but a mid table finish in this first year without Ferguson would be amazing just to see the shift in behavior by a confused United-Gaf. Not enough popcorn in the world.

Neymar will destroy Madrid whilst Messi chills with his strippers.

Bebe will lead his new Portuguese team to the league title. Porto won't be able to handle him.

GQman2121

Banned
JT > Robin Thicke

But I do like Robin Thicke's album. Some decent songs.

They're both winning at life.......

Paula-Patton-7.jpg

Jessica+Biel+_+Bikini+Photoshoot+for+GQ+Magazine+001.jpg

I don't dislike United or its fans, but a mid table finish in this first year without Ferguson would be amazing just to see the shift in behavior by a confused United-Gaf. Not enough popcorn in the world.

I dislike United's ownership and 99.9999977238% of its 659,000,000 followers and I would love to see them finish mid table next season.

GQman2121

Banned
I dislike United's ownership and 99.9999977238% of its 659,000,000 followers and I would love to see them finish mid table next season.

This makes no sense to me. I don't give a fuck if our owner was found to be the catalyst of world hunger. I want all the silverware possible for our club and none for everyone else.

So who do you support then?

I support United and want what's best for them, which is the removal of the Glazers. I'm willing to take a few years of mediocrity if it means that the fans will turn on the Glazers.

This makes no sense to me. I don't give a fuck if our owner was found to be the catalyst of world hunger. I want all the silverware possible for our club and none for everyone else.

Yes, but that's not going to happen.

Maybe you're just morally bankrupt unlike naughty god, bringer of the truth about png's and ages of players.

Salvadora

I support United and want what's best for them, which is the removal of the Glazers. I'm willing to take a few years of mediocrity if it means that the fans will turn on the Glazers.
Languishing in mid-table for years like Liverpool is only going to damage your club and absolutely does not mean that that the Glazers will go anywhere.

Say goodbye to those lucrative commercial deals and say hello to a team of Bebes competing in the Europa league at the very best.

Languishing in mid-table for years like Liverpool is only going to damage your club and absolutely does not mean that that the Glazers will go anywhere.

Say goodbye to those lucrative commercial deals and say hello to a team of Bebes competing in the Europa league at the very best.

Why would I care about commercial deals? United's commercial revenue is among the biggest in sport, yet the money isn't being spent on the team, or to increase the size of the stadium, or to upgrade the AON TRAINING COMPLEX or whatever the fuck it's called now.

Languishing in mid table is likely to build up enough resentment towards the Glazers to force them out, in a similar way to how Hicks and Gillett were forced out of Liverpool. I'd rather take the chance and finish mid-table for a few years rather than be one of those perpetual Champions League qualifiers who never look like actually winning anything (hello Arsenal). The money difference between winning stuff and qualifying for the Champions League is negligible. It makes more business sense to aim to qualify for the Champions League rather than aiming to win the Champions League.

The Glazerfication of United was completed this summer with a Glazer prodigy, Ed Woodward, replacing someone who opposed the Glazer takeover, David Gill, and them appointing their own manager, Moyes, who they can seemingly control judging from the Fabregas saga. The Fabregas shit was Woodward PR and nothing else.

Why would I care about commercial deals? United's commercial revenue is among the biggest in sport, yet the money isn't being spent on the team, or to increase the size of the stadium, or to upgrade the AON TRAINING COMPLEX or whatever the fuck it's called now.

Because it would be hard to get back to the top. While United are in mediocrity, other clubs like Chelsea and City will become more attractive as they compete for titles and add to to their trophy case.

It would be hard to get sponsors back after your preferred years of mediocrity. Just look at what's happening with Liverpool. It's hard for them to make it back to top 4.

In Europe it would be even worse. Clubs like Barca and Real are already more attractive than United, and you risk devaluing United's attraction even more after years of mediocrity.

Salvadora

Moyes was Ferguson's self selected successor, bank on it.

No one should wish to be in Liverpool's position when we can see the realities of it.
Because it would be hard to get back to the top. While United are in mediocrity, other clubs like Chelsea and City will become more attractive as they compete for titles and add to to their trophy case.

It would be hard to get sponsors back after your preferred years of mediocrity. Just look at what's happening with Liverpool. It's hard for them to make it back to top 4.

In Europe it would be even worse. Clubs like Barca and Real are already more attractive than United, and you risk devaluing United's attraction even more after years of mediocrity.
Hit the nail on the head, KidA.

United wouldn't go to mid-table if stuff when tits up anyway.

We'd hit the reset button Rangers style.

Liverpool were literally like one day away from it. I dislike Liverpool but I'm glad that didn't happen, would have been really sad.

Salvadora

United wouldn't go to mid-table if stuff when tits up anyway.

We'd hit the reset button Rangers style.

Liverpool were literally like one day away from it. I dislike Liverpool but I'm glad that didn't happen, would have been really sad.
You'd be relegated at worst, right? I could live with that.

It's not like you're going out of existence and you wouldn't be long out of the top flight anyway.

bud

it's amazing how over the course of just a few months, united-related talk has gone from potentially winning the champions league to this.

salazar, do one, you smelly pirate hooker. enjoy the europea league next season.

the manchester united brand is finally over! maybe next decade!

You'd be relegated at worst, right? I could live with that.

It's not like you're going out of existence and you wouldn't be long out of the top flight anyway.

It would depend how the Glazer's wanted to go about it.

Things are alot "safer" now but there is still a fair chance, if the Glazers wanted to eek ever penny they could out of the club, that yes the club could cease to exist in it's current form.

Naughty God's idealism is just that, idealism. United wouldn't simple fall into mid-table, be rid of the Glazer's and shoot back to the top. That's now how it works. We owe alot of money, people will want the money back, when they notice things are going bad they won't be prepared to refinance, they'll want the money back on the spot. If that comes to pass it's quite simple - either the Glazers find somebody to buy the club (no guarantee this buyer would be any better) or they strip the club of all it's assets and yes, the club collapses completely.

It would be hard to get sponsors back after your preferred years of mediocrity.

Just look at what's happening with Liverpool. It's hard for them to make it back to top 4.

United have no worries about long term finances. We signed a £300m deal with Nike back in 2001 and are currently negotiating a deal that will probably blow that out of the water. We've signed a £357m shirt deal with Chevrolet until the 2021 season that will see us earning double what the next team gets. And there's also the Aon deal for our fucking training ground that nets us £15m a year until 2021. United are simply far too big to fail commercially to any great extent. Having half the commercial revenue (which wouldn't happen) in the event of a takeover wouldn't really change anything from a football perspective since the Glazers aren't spending the money in the first place.

My ideal scenario of course would be for the Glazers to just fuck off now. The only way I can ever see them leaving is with us becoming a mid table team. I can't see it ever happening nor do I think the chances of them leaving would be that great if it did. I'd much rather take the chance of that happening rather than what I think it is going to happen, which is us not being able to compete with City or Chelsea and finishing 3rd or 4th every year.

Salvadora

It would depend how the Glazer's wanted to go about it.

Things are alot "safer" now but there is still a fair chance, if the Glazers wanted to eek ever penny they could out of the club, that yes the club could cease to exist in it's current form.

Naughty God's idealism is just that, idealism. United wouldn't simple fall into mid-table, be rid of the Glazer's and shoot back to the top. That's now how it works. We owe alot of money, people will want the money back, when they notice things are going bad they won't be prepared to refinance, they'll want the money back on the spot. If that comes to pass it's quite simple - either the Glazers find somebody to buy the club (no guarantee this buyer would be any better) or they strip the club of all it's assets and yes, the club collapses completely.
Wow, that's some nightmare scenario right there. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies. Although United ending up with worse owners than the Glazers would be funny for Naughty God's reaction alone.

These hypotheticals are really interesting considering the number of clubs in England who are operating precariously. Manchester City and to a lesser degree Chelsea would be in very hot water if their owners decided to take less of an interest. I could really see a poster child of this happening within the decade.

Bud i know our love would be forbidden, but we must eat the fruit from the tree of London and live in shame ever after, we must fornicate with our boyish lust. You don't have to be gay to try it once, to see if it's something for you.

jtb

Banned
Wow, that's some nightmare scenario right there. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies. Although United ending up with worse owners than the Glazers would be funny for Naughty God's reaction alone.

These hypotheticals are really interesting considering the number of clubs in England who are operating precariously. Manchester City and to a lesser degree Chelsea would be in very hot water if their owners decided to take less of an interest. I could really see a poster child of this happening within the decade.

didn't something like that happen with Malaga? I'm a bit unclear on the whole situaiton there, I just remember a lot of talk of unpaid wages + their European ban (is that still happening or did they successfully appeal it?). [edit: certainly was a big factor in Cazorla, Pellegrini leaving iirc] Seems like that could be a harbinger of things to come. Especially since it's pretty clear FFP isn't going to do shit.

bud

Bud i know our love would be forbidden, but we must eat the fruit from the tree of London and live in shame ever after, we must fornicate with our boyish lust. You don't have to be gay to try it once, to see if it's something for you.

i would love to massage your prostate, wooden.

qindarka

Banned
How sure are we that FFP is useless? The time hasn't actually come for enforcement of penalties yet, only when that time comes will we know for sure if it has any teeth.

Barzul

Can't see United ever becoming mid-table, they are just that good at winning. It'll happen to Chelsea or Arsenal (sadly) before anyone else, Chelsea came close to dropping out of the CL, although it was kinda worth them winning it it, just for the reaction of Spurs fans.

didn't something like that happen with Malaga? I'm a bit unclear on the whole situaiton there, I just remember a lot of talk of unpaid wages + their European ban (is that still happening or did they successfully appeal it?). [edit: certainly was a big factor in Cazorla, Pellegrini leaving iirc] Seems like that could be a harbinger of things to come. Especially since it's pretty clear FFP isn't going to do shit.
Malaga's owner simply decided to stop spending money. The club was propped up by his spending so when he stopped pumping money into the club, they were screwed.

Seem he has since decided to help steady the ship there...but lots of damage has already been done.

How sure are we that FFP is useless? The time hasn't actually come for enforcement of penalties yet, only when that time comes will we know for sure if it has any teeth.
You're right, we won't know until then.

But the way the regulations and punishments are mapped out - it'd be a surprise if it has much of a practical impact. You could argue that for some clubs it has already served some kind of purpose merely by the threat it could pose, though.

Seeing as Chelsea made the huge profit of 1 million last year, is clear the club doesn't need Roman anymore and ate ready for FFP and maybe even win the moral championship.

Sevilla in English ‏@SevillaFC_en
Liverpool fans, we feel your pain! Look what Warrior have done to the new Sevilla Atletico jersey!
proxy.jpg

:lol Warrior are so shit.

Thanks. Dat Belgian DNA

3683821_orig.jpg

this is what I said a month ago

Hyped up: Januzaj, Powell (not sure how powell will end up as he's being converted to cm)
Good potential: Daehli, Pearson, Perreira
Servicable in future: Cole, Lingard, Vermijl

I guess we can add in Varela and Henriquez who will both play in the reserves next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom