• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

DC you've never seen Hot Fuzz?Tut Tut Tut.

fSZWD.gif

Great replacement for Tevez.

Remember vividly when he just 19 and he destroyed our Liverpool team in the CL back in 2009.

That was the beginning of the end for Rafa, it put us on the backfoot in the CL and we never looked like recovering. All of the reports and previews were about the threat that Jovetic provided running past his strike partner and bursting past a high line, and we played into their hands perfectly. Did fuck all in attack as well.

@Zabo, I imagine its Heh-say

@Hixx, why are you in denial?

@Wilbz, cheers, will buy and sell on ebay if I don't like it. Or might rent a disc on Lovefilm and buy the set if I like what I see

Zabojnik

Remember vividly when he just 19 and he destroyed our Liverpool team in the CL back in 2009.

Not just Liverpool, Bayern too. It took a bribed ref to get Fiorentina eliminated. He hasn't played at that sublime level since the goddamn knee injury though. This might be *the* season for him.

Manager

Had a horrible knee injury year after that kept him out for a year. Came back much bulkier but italians say he lost a bit of speed, partly/guessed due to both size and knee. City fans are a bit afraid that he'll bust his knee again, specially for such a big fee. Hasn't had much problems in the last two years though, apparently (played 58 league matches, 27+31, longest injury was for a month, hamstring).

Negredo and Jovetic?

Gonna be the top four striker route again? Someone's gonna go...

Jovetic played as second striker and left winger (as well as lone striker) at Fiorentina, so he's able to go to the wing (which Balotelli and Tevez never really were, Dzeko same).

Press rumours are that Dzeko will extend his contract soon, otherwise they might ship him off (two years left). Pellegrini says he's not leaving though.

Zabojnik

Had a horrible knee injury year after that kept him out for a year. Came back much bulkier but italians say he lost a bit of speed, partly/guessed due to both size and knee. City fans are a bit afraid that he'll bust his knee again, specially for such a big fee. Hasn't had much problems in the last two years though, apparently (played ~58 league matches or so).

Nah, that knee is probably stronger than the other one by now. I wouldn't be worried about that. He did get bulkier, which seems to be the norm with players that suffered that sort of injury. Happened to Del Piero too. However, I think he actually slimmed down a bit over the past season. It's more an impression than anything though.

He needs to go back to Frodo.

Hixx

That was the beginning of the end for Rafa, it put us on the backfoot in the CL and we never looked like recovering. All of the reports and previews were about the threat that Jovetic provided running past his strike partner and bursting past a high line, and we played into their hands perfectly. Did fuck all in attack as well.

@Zabo, I imagine its Heh-say

@Hixx, why are you in denial?

@Wilbz, cheers, will buy and sell on ebay if I don't like it. Or might rent a disc on Lovefilm and buy the set if I like what I see

??

Walshy

Looking back at it in retrospect I would agree. We should of never of signed a player when he was injured when we didn't have the depth in central midfield.

Montolivo was fantastic that night too if I remember properly.

Not just Liverpool, Bayern too. It took a bribed ref to get Fiorentina eliminated. He hasn't played at that sublime level since the goddamn knee injury though. This might be *the* season for him.
Had a horrible knee injury year after that kept him out for a year. Came back much bulkier but italians say he lost a bit of speed, partly/guessed due to both size and knee. City fans are a bit afraid that he'll bust his knee again, specially for such a big fee. Hasn't had much problems in the last two years though, apparently (played 58 league matches, 27+31, longest injury was for a month, hamstring).

Jovetic played as second striker and left winger (as well as lone striker) at Fiorentina, so he's able to go to the wing (which Balotelli and Tevez never really were, Dzeko same).

Press rumours are that Dzeko will extend his contract soon, otherwise they might ship him off (two years left). Pellegrini says he's not leaving though.
I heard about his injury. It would be a shame if he doesn't hit them heights again. Do you think he will play of Aguero? Speaking of players who haven't reached the same heights that they should, Aguero hasn't looked the player he was for Atlético either since joining City.

Manager

Looking back at it in retrospect I would agree. We should of never of signed a player when he was injured when we didn't have the depth in central midfield.

Montolivo was fantastic that night too if I remember properly.

I heard about his injury. It would be a shame if he doesn't hit them heights again. Do you think he will play of Aguero? Speaking of players who haven't reached the same heights that they should, Aguero hasn't looked the player he was for Atlético either since joining City.

Aguero had a fantastic first season, not as good last season. He got a bad injury 15 minutes into the first game, and he got a pretty bad injury later on too.

But neither Tevez, Silva, Yaya or Kompany performed anywhere close to their standard last season. Aguero is still undroppable IMO, can't see him losing his spot.

edit
Nvm what I edited out, Pellegrini play 4-2-2-2 quite a lot so either Negredo and Dzeko can team up with Aguero. Then at 4-2-3-1 Jovetic can play supporting striker or left wing.

Clegg

Hull have confirmed the signing of Danny Graham on a year long loan.

Hull have signed more players than us this summer.

Hull!!

Meier

Aguero had a fantastic first season, not as good last season. He got a bad injury 15 minutes into the first game, and he got a pretty bad injury later on too.

But neither Tevez, Silva, Yaya or Kompany performed anywhere close to their standard last season. Aguero is still undroppable IMO, can't see him losing his spot.

As an armchair fan who like everybody else have no idea how Pellegrini wants to play, I see an issue in who Aguero will play together with though. He wants to be at the front line. But, I don't see Dzeko or Negredo playing supporting striker and I haven't seen Pellegrini using 4-4-2 a lot either. So, unless Aguero is rested or injured, I don't see where Negredo or Dzeko will play anytime during the season. Unless, Pellegrini goes for 4-4-2.

edit
Apparently he used 4-4-2 quite a lot at Villareal

I know the upper management wants a 4-3-3 but I'm not sure how well equipped we are for that currently and they've said they won't force it upon him. If we go with a 4-4-2 (or more probably like a 4-2-2-2) then we're good with both Dzeko and Negredo, but I'm still thinking Dzeko may go if the right offer comes in. Aguero is definitely undroppable.

I had no qualms about Tevez last season. He had a bit of a goalscoring drought but he was still giving 100% and dangerous. Yaya, Silva and Kompany were a bit hit or miss but I thought after the Madrid debacle, Kompany looked very good when he was healthy and playing. He and Nastasic worked well together.

Manager

I know the upper management wants a 4-3-3 but I'm not sure how well equipped we are for that currently and they've said they won't force it upon him. If we go with a 4-4-2 (or more probably like a 4-2-2-2) then we're good with both Dzeko and Negredo, but I'm still thinking Dzeko may go if the right offer comes in. Aguero is definitely undroppable.

I had no qualms about Tevez last season. He had a bit of a goalscoring drought but he was still giving 100% and dangerous. Yaya, Silva and Kompany were a bit hit or miss but I thought after the Madrid debacle, Kompany looked very good when he was healthy and playing. He and Nastasic worked well together.

I edited my post a short while ago, had forgotten he played 4-2-2-2 and not just 4-2-3-1 (which he did a bit at Malaga). At Villareal and Real he seemed to use 4-2-2-2 (some call it 4-4-2) a lot, but he speaks about how he's flexible with tactics.

Most seem to agree that Tevez seemed to lose a yard of pace last season though, very rarely made those great runs he used to do. But yeah, he showed great work rate, came back pretty thin as well after last summer.

I have this dream of Bayern buying Lew and Dortm. buying Dzeko for ~£20m.

GorillaJu

I really wanna know if Negredo is gonna be a starter or not. He has a great goalscoring record - I could see him becoming the dedicated finisher between he and Aguero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom