• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Pep is going to destroy Bayern with these crazy formations. His 343 flopped at Barca and this bizarre shit with Lahm and Kroos in weird positions is going to fail as well.

Salvadora

Link, I'm just interested not doubting you.

Surely it's an endogenous link regardless though?
http://www.forbes.com/soccer-valuations/list/#page:1_sort:4_direction:desc_search:

I agree that it isn't the be all end all, but I found it a particularly interesting stat.
why would it be best for a neutral? More Bayern drama for your entertainment? A-HA!!
The more drama the better! City losing would be par for the course.

Bayern losing would mean that Pep is a sham who was shielded by Messi at Barcelona.

Turok_TTZ

Sore about what?

I don't know what's the definition of turnover in Madrid's website but it's obviously not the one we're used to (the loss of possession). 104 turnovers in 8 games? Does that sound right to you, you fucking dumbass.

Turnovers include loss of possession whether by tackles, send the ball out of bounds or passing straight to the opponent. Recalling alonso losing possession to dortmund was pretty bad. I would argue the majority of the turnovers alonso had in the cl were exclusively to Dortmund. But last year alonso was pretty bad. also shows who watched madrid vs dortmund and who didn't.

Dumbass? well that escalated quickly, you don't take being wrong lightly it seems.

Meier

Figures we play 3 of our 4 first choice defenders and then the back-up keeper. Manuel keeping everyone on their toes so our opponents won't know what hit them when all of the starters are playing together!

Manager

Dedryck Boyata played so bad in a mid table Dutch team that they cancelled cancelled the loan. This game will be big for him. Bayern, be nice.

spidye

Looking forward to this match.

Bayern losing would be best for the neutral, so I hope it happens. If City play anything like they have been they won't have a chance though.

nah our defense sucks at the moment. we're clearly in pre season and our defense showed a lot of problems

Meier

Btw, this has been discussed for the past handful of days in the USMNT thread, but this is pretty funny: Iceland livid over Johannsson-to-USA development
The Icelandic FA chief alleges that rules are being broken in forward Aron Johannsson's potential international allegiance change to the United States.

AZ forward Aron Johannsson's potential international allegiance change from Iceland to the USA has been met with widespread excitement in America, especially on the part of U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann. That's not so much the case overseas.

The Iceland FA is livid over the proposed change, with U.S. Soccer submitting Johannsson's petition for a one-time switch to FIFA earlier this week. Iceland FA chief Geir Thorsteinsson is reportedly alleging that rules are being bent in order for Johannsson to join the USA -- his birth country -- and that FIFA should not approve the switch.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...er-johannsson-to-usa-development?ICID=HP_BN_3

The open letter/press release Iceland's football federation sent out had quite an angry tone. This is the guy who came in as a sub and scored a hat trick in under 4 minutes last year (real time video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihpgP1S0m0w)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Turnovers include loss of possession whether by tackles, send the ball out of bounds or passing straight to the opponent. Recalling alonso losing possession to dortmund was pretty bad. I would argue the majority of the turnovers alonso had in the cl were exclusively to Dortmund. But last year alonso was pretty bad. also shows who watched madrid vs dortmund and who didn't.

Dumbass? well that escalated quickly, you don't take being wrong lightly it seems.
norm-def-comp-11121.png

Again the plot shows the normalized values of chosen defensive statistics per game. Unsurprisingly, we see that Scott Parker (orange) dominates in tackles, interceptions, and clearances, whereas Mesut Ozil (yellow) is at the opposite end. It is interesting to note that Xabi Alonso (gray) has a very high rate of fouls committed, tackles, and interceptions. Unlike Pirlo, to whom he is often compared to, Xabi Alonso is actually responsible for a good portion of the rough work in the midfield. The incredibly low rate of losing possession (dispossessed + turnover) is also telling of Xabi Alonso’s role as the calm and patient dictator of possession and tempo for Real Madrid. Again Modric’s curve (blue) is somewhere in between Ozil and Alonso. He is dispossessed often, fouls little, and does not tackle a lot like Ozil, but makes a fair number of interceptions and does not cause a lot of turnovers.

I rest my case.

I'll leave the rest to LiverpoolGAF.

OT - XABI ALONSO IS NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE BALL

Meier

Anyone have a link to a live text commentary for the game? Goal is usually pretty good about this sort of thing but it looks like it'll just be goals, etc. for them today.. will follow via City's twitter if nothing else.

ShogunX

I'll leave the rest to LiverpoolGAF.

OT - XABI ALONSO IS NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE BALL

I presume like me other LFC supporters have seen the ''Alonso is not comfortable with the ball'' comment and decided that anybody who would write such shit isn't worth debating with.

LTWheels

That's not BT to be fair. That is just how Audi Cup have it set up. Same with how the Liverpool games used the LTV feed.

If that's the case I suppose how it's set up on BT2 for the rugby will be a closer reflection to what BT will use. Bottom left corner. Looks neat. Matches the logo on the bottom right.

Turok_TTZ

So Modric and Alonso lost possession pretty much every 10 minutes in the league

In the CL, Alonso lost the ball every 8 minutes, and Modric every 12

Why are we even comparing those 2? Playing Modric in Alonso's deeper position would be a waste of his attributes

comparison is done because the fact is alonso IS playing deeper and his turnovers are pathetic. The whole point of him playing deeper is so he DOESN'T make as much turnovers as he would higher up on the pitch. plus, he gets slightly more protection from the cbs by going deeper, making pressuring him more difficult. and yet despite going deeper and always making safe passes, alonso makes more turnovers than modric.

Modric who plays higher up, doesn't have the protection alonso has, has to deal with more pressure from the opposition being higher up, does more risky passing than alonso. from the scenarios and the their positions on the pitch, modric should have had a higher turnover than alonso. Pretty condemning for Alonso. I wouldn't be surprised if modric has a higher success pass rate. Alonso last season was pretty bad by his standards.

I don't even like modric but now I appreciate him a lot more than before. This guy is aces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom