• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the Mirror are continuing to print the articles Paul Stretford (Rooney's agent) writes for them :lol

Silly sausages.

John Cross is pretty much like fan fiction.

Arsenal may have CL football, but I don't see the point in him going there. Whats the point? Liverpool are at least trying to build something, Arsenal aren't seemingly building anything.

If they're willing to pay whatever it takes to get him, that's pretty serious.

I do see your point though. But at this stage doesn't look like he has any alternatives so he must be pretty desperate.

LegoArmo

------------------Szczesny ---------------------------------
Sagna-----Koscielny----Mertesacker----Monreal
---------------Wilshere---Arteta-------------------------
Walcott--------Cazorla-------------------Podolski------
--------------------Giroud----------------

Subs: Jenkinson, Gibbs, Vermaelen/Miquel, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rosicky, Fabianski, Gervinho

That's a dire team if ever there was one. No spark at all.

Wouldn't be surprised to start the season like last, with 0-0s.

There's 5 players there I'd be happy to have in the starting 11 for a title winning team, so Arsenal need to sign 6 or 7 players to get to that level, in my opinion.

ShogunX

From the article -

''It may even be significant that he mentioned being flattered by Arsenal's interest in a recent interview.''

''Mirror Sport understands there would be no problem with Suarez - despite being given punishments after racially abusing Patrice Evra and biting Branislav Ivanovic - in the Arsenal dressing room and they respect him as hard working.''

''The Higuain deal is not dead but Arsenal will not go back in unless Real Madrid go back to their original price.''

Sounds like another media fluff piece.

Salvadora

When was the last time we didn't buy anyone in a window? You're being WAY too negative. Liverpool fans affecting you it seems.
I'm 100% sure we'll buy someone in the window, but the season starts in less than a month. Arsene himself has said we are nowhere near bringing anyone in. He probably won't even get started until we get back to London, or we have a shite season opening.

It's probably the team that will start on 17th August, more or less.
That's cause you picked it Sal :p

-------------------Szczeny------------------

Jenkinson------Kos-------Per----Gibbs

--------------Wilshere----Arteta----------

Walcott-------Cazorla--------Ox-------

------------------Suarez-------------------

Looks good. Not sure why you pick. Bog Average Monreal and lazy couldn't care less Sagna over Jenkinson and Gibbs, both who had good seasons last time. And Podolski was anonymous for so much of last year, gotta start giving Ox more starts.
Oxlade-Chamberlain wasn't very good last season, Podolski is well better. He can be a 70 minute sub because Podolski can't finish a match.

I'm placing confidence (maybe mistakenly) in Sagna, because he'll have a full pre-season and hopefully remember the player he once was. Gibbs & Monreal was a toss up, and to be fair Wenger will probably choose Gibbs because he's had a pre-season and isn't just back from his holidays.
I think you're underrating Carzola and Wilshire, they're not gonna win you the title but champions league football should be safe enough.
Cazorla rises to the occasion as much as he can, but Wilshere hasn't shown his pre-injury form at all and has looked pretty unremarkable. I'm being the ever pessimist, but I'm just not confident in that first 11.

Slizz

Neymar is excited about this

2VR4zEP.jpg

Zabojnik

For the record, I said TLoU was overhyped to the moon (while still acknowledging that it is a pretty good game) before it was cool to say so.

TLoU isn't my GOTG but it would be top ten for me.

#RDR4lyfe

Edit: It should be said that on a technical level ND had no right to get that quality of animation or lighting out of that hardware.

Salvadora

Finished The Last of Us. Solid, fun game but nowhere near the quality all the hype suggested of it.

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

Console exclusives have a tendency to be over-rated, and along with the enthusiastic press they create the aura of every game being the best ever.

I usually seek out user reviews 6+ months after release for the most accuracy.

Hixx

People calling it the game of the generation is laughable. If it were made by anyone else other than Naughty Dog it wouldn't have garnered all this attention.

Couldn't disagree more.

You only have to look at the completely mixed reaction to Uncharted 3 to see that isn't the case.

It's not the best game this gen but it's in the top 3.

Wes

venison crêpe
Alan Pardew today: "I can confirm that we have expressed an interest in Gomis. We think that he’s a player who has great potential."

People calling it the game of the generation is laughable. If it were made by anyone else other than Naughty Dog it wouldn't have garnered all this attention.

I think its more the Sony lovefest thats going on which is helping them. Their output has been fairly poor this generation imo, The Last of Us is the only new IP they've brought the table thats actually a big blockbuster and had the success that other people have had (Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Mass Effect etc).

Hixx

Alan Pardew today: "I can confirm that we have expressed an interest in Gomis. We think that he’s a player who has great potential."

Potential? He's 28 isn't he? Anyway:

"Blanc, who gave Cabaye his first call-up for France, last week described the 27-year-old as ‘an interesting player’ who ‘offers a lot of options in different positions’.

Pardew was asked if he is unhappy over the comments, and the Newcastle manager replied: ‘A little bit. I don’t think that’s right. He can get on the phone to me or make a bid. I think that’s the right way to do it. I think the way it’s come out isn’t perhaps respectful to Yohan. That’s something I want to talk to him about.’"

Is that Pardew being a hypocrite again? WELL I NEVER.

kharma45

I think its more the Sony lovefest thats going on which is helping them. Their output has been fairly poor this generation imo, The Last of Us is the only new IP they've brought the table thats actually a big blockbuster and had the success that other people have had (Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Mass Effect etc).

There is that too.

Uncharted 3 says hello!

Couldn't disagree more.

You only have to look at the completely mixed reaction to Uncharted 3 to see that isn't the case.

It's not the best game this gen but it's in the top 3.

Mmm fair point, although most of that washed over me as I didn't actually pay much attention to it.

TLoU isn't my GOTG but it would be top ten for me.

#RDR4lyfe

Edit: It should be said that on a technical level ND had no right to get that quality of animation or lighting out of that hardware.

RDR was another game I didn't get the hype for.

You're right too, the frame rate in TLOU was abysmal at times when they tried to do too much,.

I think were going to have a falling out in a moment.

Bring it.

There is that too.

Worth noting that TLoU is the only game ND have made this gen where they didn't shit the bed at the bed and clearly run out of ideas as to how to finish the games. The Last of Us wasn't perfect but it was consistent, can't say the same about Uncharted. I really hope they're done with that series, leave it on Vita and go onto something new.

Uncharted and TLOU are far better IPs than anything MS or Nintendo have come up with this generation.

kharma45

kharma hates everything.

I like a lot of things :p I'm just not easily impressed like some here. Again, the people calling TLOU GOTG are fucking crazy.

Oh shot. Gladiator is on ITV.

Amazing soundtrack on this.

God tier film.

Worth noting that TLoU is the only game ND have made this gen where they didn't shit the bed at the bed and clearly run out of ideas as to how to finish the games. The Last of Us wasn't perfect but it was consistent, can't say the same about Uncharted. I really hope they're done with that series, leave it on Vita and go onto something new.

Aye the endings to all three Uncharted games was pretty weak, and whilst I had hoped for something stronger in TLOU it was alright.

You're right too, the frame rate in TLOU was abysmal at times when they tried to do too much.

The x-ray mode killed frame rate. Would have been magnificent at high res and 4xSGSSAA and you know it.

The mechanics carried the game for me which is the sign of a good game for me. Not GOTG as I said but very good and games should be encouraged to follow in its wake.

Wilbur

Banned

Nah, I disagree. I have no affiliation to any publisher, console, brand, developer, team. I don't give a shit whether my next console is Sony or Microsoft, whether the next big game is Nintendo or EA. if it's good, it's good.

TLOU has very good gameplay with incredible presentation, soundtrack, voice acting, graphics, art style, and great writing and story. It gets you emotionally. It lets you get to know the characters. It's just a top top top entertainment package all round.

kharma45

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

Console exclusives have a tendency to be over-rated, and along with the enthusiastic press they create the aura of every game being the best ever.

I usually seek out user reviews 6+ months after release for the most accuracy.

I usually try to leave games that length of time before buying but I fell for it with TLOU :( plus guys on here seemed to love the MP too.

Yeah kharma trying to be cool. Juve-gaf were hating before it was cool to.

I've only got round to it now :p not had any time to play it.

Randdalf

------------------------- Sullivan -----------------------
Moutaouakil --- Bradley --------- Ertl ------ ?
Holmes ---- Wallace ----- Padovani --------- ?
-------- Agyemang --------- Connolly -------------

kharma45

I will in the morning. too sleepy right now. Sleep to Gladiator.

Night everyone.

Night!

The x-ray mode killed frame rate. Would have been magnificent at high res and 4xSGSSAA and you know it.

The mechanics carried the game for me which is the sign of a good game for me. Not GOTG as I said but very good and games should be encouraged to follow in its wake.

It would've looked great on hardware that could've carried out their graphical vision I agree.

Nah, I disagree. I have no affiliation to any publisher, console, brand, developer, team. I don't give a shit whether my next console is Sony or Microsoft, whether the next big game is Nintendo or EA. if it's good, it's good.

TLOU has very good gameplay with incredible presentation, soundtrack, voice acting, graphics, art style, and great writing and story. It gets you emotionally. It lets you get to know the characters. It's just a top top top entertainment package all round.

Very good gameplay, good voice acting, mediocre OST, ok graphics with a terrible frame rate at times, art was nice, writing was OK and story was nothing special. Emotionally it did little for me, compared to something like The Walking Dead it pales massively in comparison.

Enyaaaaaa.

Edit - Wait, is Enya even on that soundtrack?

Even so, Enyaaaaa.

I always thought it was Enya for ages but it was Lisa Gerrard at the end.

Didn't get the hype for rdr or tlou. He is just one of those guys, goes against the flow.

There has just been much better games this gen.

Uncharted 2 was an industry changer.

Yeah it was stellar mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom