• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just leaves Suarez. I'm actually surprised that Chelsea haven't been more seriously linked to him.

We've been linked a few times, it was gathering pace a few weeks ago and then died down again. Hopefully Liverpool would refuse to deal with us, and the player would refuse to come.

I don't deny his talent but tbh he has too much baggage and we can't keep the players we've got now under control let alone anyone else.

Speaking of Chelsea, they're playing against Malaysian XI in about an hour.

Do they need a replacement? They are looking for midfielders, and Kagawa can play in his position.

We don't need a replacement, but not signing an attacking player of similar quality to Rooney would be pretty absurd.

I really can't stress enough just how bad our wingers are. Nani, Valencia and Ashley Young scored 3 goals between them in the league. Valencia and Young are finished as far as I'm concerned. Nani has the unpredictability in his game and can turn it on now and then, but Valencia and Young have been nothing but consistently shit for a year now (more than a year in Young's case). Valencia was amazing the season before but there's something mentally wrong with the Ecuardorian international, 27, that makes him dilly dally on the ball like a genuine retard. It's almost like he realised he was very good last season, but very one-dimensional so he's trying to add something else to his game but his brain doesn't work quickly enough to figure out what to do with the ball so he just stands there holding up play for 5 seconds every time he gets the ball. It's the most infuriating thing in the world.

I've seen people suggesting first XIs for United next season that feature Januzaj and/or Zaha. They may have the potential to play for United in the future, but they almost certainly won't be good enough for the coming season if our aim is challenging for the league and Champions League. The fact that people suggest them as first XIers just sums up how shit our wingers are. We'd need a player capable of playing the number 10 role or a winger if we sold Rooney. We won't though. Or we might if it's Vucinic.

Splatt

Splatt, we'll need a new *ić to replace Vucinić and fill the hole left by Jovetić in a year or two. Any new prospects down there?

Maybe Aleksandar Mitrović, if he gets his head straight.

Lazar Marković is already in Benfica, I'm sure he'll be very sought after in a few years.

Clegg

The club would be dumb if they don't look for one. The club needs another attacking midfielder that can operate from the left. If Nani finds his form it won't be a problem, but if Nani struggles like last season, then United will only have Young and shit Nani.
I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking for a great attacking midfielder. But our priorities, rightly, lie in signing quality central midfielders.

If worst comes to worst then Shinji could play on the left. I'm still holding hope for Adnan to get a few games with the senior team this year too.

Clegg

Didn't Welbeck sign a big contract this time last year? Will he have to leave?
Why would he have to leave?

We're not in any financial trouble and he's still young enough to improve on his finishing. If its a case if him not developing into the player we'd hoped for then we'd probably sell him.

But I reckon he has another 2 full seasons before we start contemplating that. Probably longer than that too. He's a Manchester lad who has been with United since he was 9. That still means something.

I can't see him or Cleverley ever leaving, despite the fact they are both shit.

To be fair, Cleverley would be a decent 4th choice midfielder. Welbeck is just a complete waste of space.

Ever since Carrick I've tried to keep away from making the mistake of saying a player is done after one bad season.

Splatt

It's posted on this page. Fry should still put it in the OP though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=71917216&postcount=4146
^^^^^FPL Code

Quote it.

Awesome.

BKtx1RL.png

Bale and RvP eating all my transfer funds : |

Now I know how Galliani feels :(

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking for a great attacking midfielder. But our priorities, rightly, lie in signing quality central midfielders.

If worst comes to worst then Shinji could play on the left. I'm still holding hope for Adnan to get a few games with the senior team this year too.

The midfielders should be bought regardless of Rppmey leaving or not. They are the priority.

If Rooney leaves, however, he should be replaced. That money should go towards another attacker, not a midfielder as there should be money for midfielders regardless of the money made from a Rppmey. Otherwise, the club is just being cheap.

Edit: KAKITANI GOAL!!!!!

Clegg

The midfielders should be bought regardless of Rppmey leaving or not. They are the priority.

If Rooney leaves, however, he should be replaced. That money should go towards another attacker, not a midfielder as there should be money for midfielders regardless of the money made from a Rppmey. Otherwise, the club is just being cheap.

Edit: KAKITANI GOAL!!!!!
Tbh I don't think there would be time to look for a viable replacement. If the Times are to be believed then we won't sell Rooney until the end of the window. We wouldn't have any of his transfer fee to spend until then.

Tbh I don't think there would be time to look for a viable replacement. If the Times are to be believed then we won't sell Rooney until the end of the window. We wouldn't have any of his transfer fee to spend until then.

That's what I'm thinking. There isn't anyone tbh. Bale would be good, but that's impossible.

Let's hope Nani regains form.

Salvadora

We've already replaced his goals though. Van Persie is the main striker for us now so Rooney plays a more withdrawn role.

Last season he scored 12 in the league, which is still pretty good for an attacking midfielder but he wasn't happy because he wasn't the man leading the attacking line.

I don't think its possible for Rooney and RVP to both score 20+ league goals in the same team. They'd take up each others space too often.

The whole problem with Rooney is that he isn't the main man any more.
RVP is 30 next month and got burnt out nearing the end of last season.

I agree that it's very unlikely there even is a viable replacement, but you should look.

DBT85

That's what I'm thinking. There isn't anyone tbh. Bale would be good, but that's impossible.

Let's hope Nani regains form.

My hope is that having a new manager brings the best out of any players that might have felt Fergie didn't love them enough or that for whatever reason were struggling.

£50m + Nani/Young/Valencia for Bale would be a good deal for both parties.

Bale has 3 years left on his contract and he would be an absolute idiot to sign a new one when he could win trophies elsewhere and get paid more. Now is as good a time as any for Spur to cash in on him.

Also Spurs would be idiots messing up their wage structure for one player. To be fair, they already fucked it up a bit by giving Adebayor 100k a week.

Bale has 3 years left on his contract and he would be an absolute idiot to sign a new one when he could win trophies elsewhere and get paid more. Now is as good a time as any for Spur to cash in on him.

He most likely won't sign a new contract.

He will probably have an even better season this year than he did last, meaning they can demand even more money.

And Bale will never ever play for United. Levy simply will not sell him to us. I think even if we offered £10m more than Real Madrid he would just sell him to Madrid.

Also Spurs would be idiots messing up their wage structure for one player. To be fair, they already fucked it up a bit by giving Adebayor 100k a week.

How would this summer be a better time than next summer for Spurs to sell Bale?

He could flop this coming season and be worth less next summer?

Sell him while he's hot.

Or he could sustain his second-half-of-last-season form throughout next season, giving them an extra push towards 4th, 3rd, or even 2nd place.

You don't sell players just in case they fail to keep their standard, especially when they're 23 years old, world class, and have 3 years left on their contract

Clegg

RVP is 30 next month and got burnt out nearing the end of last season.

I agree that it's very unlikely there even is a viable replacement, but you should look.
He struggled in February and March. But at the same time Rooney was hardly stellar either.

Midfield really is the area that needs looking at first. Everywhere else can wait.

Kyoufu

This goes both ways.

He could also dominate the league even more next year and you can sell him for even more. It's not like he's showing any signs of slowing down.

You can only do so much when playing for a club that doesn't get into the CL.

He'd dominate the league even more if he was surrounded by better players/coaches.

Clegg

You can only do so much when playing for a club that doesn't get into the CL.

He'd dominate the league even more if he was surrounded by better players/coaches.
Tbh we'll never know that for sure. Although I'd love to see him at Unuted and I suspect he'd do a Ronaldo and score 40 in one season.

No chance he's going anywhere other than Real.

He most likely won't sign a new contract.

He will probably have an even better season this year than he did last, meaning they can demand even more money.

And Bale will never ever play for United. Levy simply will not sell him to us. I think even if we offered £10m more than Real Madrid he would just sell him to Madrid.

I'm sure Levy is over all that dossier nonsense now. Fergie wouldn't sell a virus to Madrid, then he sold them Ronaldo.

How would this summer be a better time than next summer for Spurs to sell Bale?

Because Spurs would be in a better position to negotiate a large fee the longer his contract is. You don't really want a top player like Bale to have 2 years left on his contract, especially when you're Spurs, a small stepping stone club. To be fair, it's offset by what he'd offer them on the pitch for next season but I can't see him sticking around in the long term either way. He said last season that he'd definitely stay if Spurs got Champions League football, implying he'd be considering his options if they didn't get it. I can't see him sticking around Spurs and having a mediocre trophyless career.

It's not exactly Real Madrid-like, but why would you pay £60m for him next season when you could just wait 18 months and get him to sign a pre-contract agreement? I wouldn't really want to bank on him signing a new deal if I were Levy.

Empty

kagawa and fabregas (and by fabregas i mean fellaini) score enough to compensate for rooney. i think the main loss with wayne is that point that moyes made which rooney's agents have latched onto, if rvp is injured then rooney is an outstanding replacement as the number nine. hernandez and welbeck not so much, as much as i like both of them for their particular functions.

Carbonox

Meanwhile, at Newcastle...

We played a near full strength team and got dicked 3-1 by Rio Ave in a friendly the other day. Would have been 4-1 had their penalty not been saved. :lol

Newcastle can fuck off.

I would say its risky but they can't do any worse than there old players.

At least they're doing this major rebuilding during the Summer window. Enough time to get something cooking with all these new changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom