• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only do so much when playing for a club that doesn't get into the CL.

He'd dominate the league even more if he was surrounded by better players/coaches.

Well you got a good point. But if he shows once again that he can put the team on his back, and maybe win the EL, his value will go up even more.

I've gotten a bit of a man crush on Gareth lately (The player, not the GAF'er).

I'm sure Levy is over all that dossier nonsense now. Fergie wouldn't sell a virus to Madrid, then he sold them Ronaldo.

Because Spurs would be in a better position to negotiate a large fee the longer his contract is. You don't really want a top player like Bale to have 2 years left on his contract, especially when you're Spurs, a small stepping stone club. To be fair, it's offset by what he'd offer them on the pitch for next season but I can't see him sticking around in the long term either way. He said last season that he'd definitely stay if Spurs got Champions League football, implying he'd be considering his options if they didn't get it. I can't see him sticking around Spurs and having a mediocre trophyless career.

It's not exactly Real Madrid-like, but why would you pay £60m for him next season when you could just wait 18 months and get him to sign a pre-contract agreement? I wouldn't really want to bank on him signing a new deal if I were Levy.

Seriously, when is the last time a club has decided to wait for a world class player's contract to run out? Especially when they have over a year left. Neither you or Madrid would be put off of negotiating for Bale because he only had 2 years left, and if you think otherwise, you're deluding yourself because you're desperate for him to move this year.

Clegg

kagawa and fabregas (and by fabregas i mean fellaini) score enough to compensate for rooney. i think the main loss with wayne is that point that moyes made which rooney's agents have latched onto, if rvp is injured then rooney is an outstanding replacement as the number nine. hernandez and welbeck not so much, as much as i like both of them for their particular functions.
I don't get as many goals from Fellaini if we signed him.

Last season he played as an attacking midfielder because Everton needed to use him there. If he comes to United then he'd be a central/defensive midfielder. I'm sure he'd still score some goals but he wouldn't get into attacking positions as often as he did with Everton,

I don't get as many goals from Fellaini if we signed him.

Last season he played as an attacking midfielder because Everton needed to use him there. If he comes to United then he'd be a central/defensive midfielder. I'm sure he'd still score some goals but he wouldn't get into attacking positions as often as he did with Everton,

He'll score 10 off RVP's corners alone.

Seriously, when is the last time a club has decided to wait for a world class player's contract to run out?

It's happening as we speak.

400px-Robert_Lewandowski_2010.jpg

Blablurn

kagawa-man-united-514.jpg

15.15 Uhr: Shinji Kagawa hat in der japanischen TV-Show "Foot-Brain" eine mögliche Rückkehr zu Borussia Dortmund angedeutet. "Eines Tages möchte ich zu diesem Team zurückkehren, ich werde eines Tages zurückkehren...wenn Dortmund damit einverstanden ist", sagte der aktuelle Manchester-United-Spieler. Das lassen wir jetzt einfach mal so stehen.

"One day I wanna return to Dortmund. If they are okay with it."

15.15 Uhr: Shinji Kagawa hat in der japanischen TV-Show "Foot-Brain" eine mögliche Rückkehr zu Borussia Dortmund angedeutet. "Eines Tages möchte ich zu diesem Team zurückkehren, ich werde eines Tages zurückkehren...wenn Dortmund damit einverstanden ist", sagte der aktuelle Manchester-United-Spieler. Das lassen wir jetzt einfach mal so stehen.

You're late bla89.

Kikarian

Late. Also it's took out of context.

I read this as 'Moyes has never won anything' at first, lol. Still hilarious coming from a Chelski player though.

Not really hilarious if you read more than dumb headlines. He was asked if he was fearing City and their new big spendings and said :

"Money has never won anything. You can spend as much as you want but you must build a team first.

"Yes, City have huge competition for every place. They have a new manager, new expectations and new motivations.

"And if they build a team they will be a tough opponent and rival for us in the Champions League and for the Premier League title. But so will Manchester United. So will Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool."

Only hilarious part is he mentioned Liverpool with those teams.

3Sixty

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO 2m
Reports in Italy claim Southampton are preparing another move to sign Roma striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. #Saintsfc

BPs-tTJCAAIV0MT.jpg

Goal line technology is in.

No idea what we're meant to be looking at in this pic but yeah, there's goal line tech there. Pedro Mendes lol.

Late. Also it's took out of context.

It's not out of context. The reporter told him about Klopp saying Dortmund needed Shinji in the final and then Shinji said that he would like to return to Dortmund some day.

Nothing to worry about though. De Gea said the same thing about Atletico Madrid. A lot of players say they would like to return to a former club somewhere down the line.

a) He only has a year left I think, not 2.
b) He's having to wind his contract down because Dortmund are refusing to negotiate with Bayern as far as I'm aware. Similar to Llorente at Bilbao, but they're not freezing him out.
Still, Bale with 2 years left on his contract isn't going to be as valuable as Bale with 3 years. Clubs will use that to lowball Spurs. There are tons of examples of top class players leaving on the cheap with one year left on their contract. Why didn't RVP move before last season? Clubs would have been sniffing around him but Arsenal didn't want to sell. Spurs might not want to sell (for a realistic amount) next summer. You're not going to get the £70m everyone thinks Levy will sell for with 2 years left on his contract IMO. They apparently can't even get that now.

You wouldn't be a tad worried, if you were Levy, if Bale didn't sign a new contract before this time next year? I wouldn't want to take the risk of a Van Persie/Kagawa or even a Lewandowski situation happening. Bale gave it his best shot, Spur didn't qualify for the CL, he'll have two years left on his contract next summer and will probably want out, CL football or not. Now is the time to take the money and invest it in the squad (strikers).

Actually, I'd like to see him play more this coming season.

He can't be worse than Muntari or Nocerino have been . . . can he? I doubt he will play though, Allegri likes to play favorites and Traore is simply out of favor. Same reason Didac will never get a chance, even over a bidone like Antonini. Actually, knowing Max, he may let Traore have a run out as trequartista.

I read that we are paying Traore a ridiculous salary, 1.2m for sitting the bench, which is why we can't sell him. Gold Tie really messed this up. He loves to save a million or two on transfer fees by signing free agents, but what's the point when you overpay their salary so much . . .

Still, Bale with 2 years left on his contract isn't going to be as valuable as Bale with 3 years. Clubs will use that to lowball Spurs. There are tons of examples of top class players leaving on the cheap with one year left on their contract. Why didn't RVP move before last season? Clubs would have been sniffing around him but Arsenal didn't want to sell. Spurs might not want to sell (for a realistic amount) next summer. You're not going to get the £70m everyone thinks Levy will sell for with 2 years left on his contract IMO. They apparently can't even get that now.

You wouldn't be a tad worried, if you were Levy, if Bale didn't sign a new contract before this time next year? I wouldn't want to take the risk of a Van Persie/Kagawa or even a Lewandowski situation happening. Bale gave it his best shot, Spur didn't qualify for the CL, he'll have two years left on his contract next summer and will probably want out, CL football or not. Now is the time to take the money and invest it in the squad (strikers).

Firstly, RVP didn;t move before last season because he'd been injury prone and hadn't displayed consistent top-class ability until 2011/12. Its not like clubs were trying to buy him and Arsenal were batting them away until you lot came in when he only had a year left.

And the difference in money Spurs would get for Bale between doing it now, and doing it next year, doesn't come close to covering what they'd lose out on next season imo. Even next summer, with 2 years left, he'll still be worth £50m+ imo assuming he plays well enough. He's young, world class, and he doesn't give Spurs any problems on or off the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom