• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013-14 |OT2| Caravanning all the way to France

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandaca

Islam Feruz lined up to replace De Bruyne. A quick primer, he's a diminutive Scottish striker who signed sixteen goals in twenty appearances for Chelsea's U18/U21 teams last season. Not naturally a wide player, but he's pretty quick and skillful so has the attributes to do a job. Plenty of potential, but his attitude is pretty awful and he's had repeated Twitter spats with fans of Celtic (who he formerly played for after they helped him immigrate from his native Somalia).

It was his knee. It bent backwards.

Didn't look nice. Thanks for the correction.

inCqz3BQAghn5.gif

and that goal got him injured

ibjTuzDteP1lPa.gif

qindarka

Banned
Well, that really sucks for KDB. Will probably miss the start of the season just when he looked to be staking a place in the starting XI.

Salvadora

Hopefully Bosscielny's injury isn't too serious, but at the same time it's come at an opportune time as it highlights our weaknesses at the back.
961d67aatw1e4v47rgrajg20b4069b2b.gif

Zabojnik

Fucking Elkann and his brother, what good are they?

lapo%20elkann.jpg

One's a ... I don't know, some sort of deviant and an addict, the other doesn't care nearly enough about Juve. Our president has the heart in the right place and is an Agnelli, sadly it's not him holding the wallet, but John Elkann. I knew the Jovetic dream was over the day it was announced that Elkann basically "won" the financial war against Della Valle by becoming RCS's majority shareholder.

Sucks about Pellegrini's mom (RIP) and De Bruyne. Hopefully it's not as serious as you guys make it sound.

The lack of quality CBs in general is shocking, imo.

Yep

Silva
Chiellini
Varane
Kompany
Nastasic (yes)
Ferdinand
Hummels

They're the ones I consider top of the pile. I've heard good things about Barzagli, Dante and Boateng but haven't watched them enough.

There are a lot of big clubs who have defenders I don't particularly rate though.

xandaca

Yep

Silva
Chiellini
Varane
Kompany
Nastasic (yes)
Ferdinand
Hummels

They're the ones I consider top of the pile. I've heard good things about Barzagli, Dante and Boateng but haven't watched them enough.

There are a lot of big clubs who have defenders I don't particularly rate though.

Barzagli's very good, Juve have excellent centre backs. Bonucci's underrated as well. I'd take Ferdinand off that list, he's been diminishing for a while. Marquinhos also looks excellent, just signed for around £25m for PSG from Roma. Overpriced considering he's only had one season in European football (albeit a great one), but he's got all the qualities to justify that price eventually.

Barzagli's very good, Juve have excellent centre backs. Bonucci's underrated as well. I'd take Ferdinand off that list, he's been diminishing for a while. Marquinhos also looks excellent, just signed for around £25m for PSG from Roma. Overpriced considering he's only had one season in European football (albeit a great one), but he's got all the qualities to justify that price eventually.

Ferdinand is still great in defense imo. Personally, I think his ball-playing ability has always been a bit overrated and his defending very underrated. He had a rough start to last season but was the best defender in the league from November onwards

I thought Agger would end up being world class after 06/07 but constant injuries put paid to that :(

Zabojnik

It's amazing how much more likable City have become with Pellegrini and Jovetic. Not that I had anything against the club before, but I can't fucking stand Roberto Mancini. I'm sure it's mostly just me, but still. What a difference. GLORY GLORY MANCHESTER CITY!

It's amazing how much more likable City have become with Pellegrini and Jovetic. Not that I had anything against the club before, but I can't fucking stand Roberto Mancini. I'm sure it's mostly just me, but still. What a difference. GLORY GLORY MANCHESTER CITY!

No it's not, the staff around City fucking hated his arrogance too. :p

xandaca

Ferdinand is still great in defense imo. Personally, I think his ball-playing ability has always been a bit overrated and his defending very underrated. He had a rough start to last season but was the best defender in the league from November onwards

He's not bad by any means, I just don't think United can depend on him like they used to. The tendency to switch off which blighted him earlier in his career seemed to return every now and then last year. As I said, still a good player, but I wouldn't put him among the top players in his position anymore.

Never liked him. Something about him stunk of being a weak, two-faced manager and lucking his way to his various title wins

I remember you not being part of the United Juve broship. This confirms it.

Salvadora

Everyone should watch Jovetic's first interview after joining City on their Youtube channel.

He's incredibly humble and soft spoken. I don't think I've seen another footballer quite like it.

I meant to say that I don't necessarily expect many others to change their attitude towards City, but yeah. Mancini's cuntness is pretty well known. :)

Oh lol. Actually I don't really mind City.

Was listening to this Danish football radio show and Mikkel Bischoff, some ex City player (from way before Mancini) was talking about how he went there for some visit recently (this was while Mancini was still their manager) and talked about how sour everyone he talked to there seemed to be about him at the club.

qindarka

Banned
I don't think Lukaku is ready to be starting week in week out at Chelsea yet. He is still raw, his touch especially needs to me much improved. If he is thrown right into the fray, I don't expect him to perform badly but I think he will be the source of much frustration. Signing a more proven striker is still probably the best idea, Lukaku will still get plenty of minutes with all the games we play each season.

If you sign Rooney then Lukaku won't get a proper chance.

He will probably play as much as he did last season, albeit fewer minutes in the Premier League. Rooney does get injured occasionally as well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Awesome, Chadli is coming. Another big beast, can score goals and create from wide, perfect addition to the squad. Our Belgian army swells once again.

Ashes

Banned
I don't think Lukaku is ready to be starting week in week out at Chelsea yet. He is still raw, his touch especially needs to me much improved. If he is thrown right into the fray, I don't expect him to perform badly but I think he will be the source of much frustration. Signing a more proven striker is still probably the best idea, Lukaku will still get plenty of minutes with all the games we play each season.

Who at Chelsea scored more than Lukaku last season?

Id do a swap deal

If Rooney is 100% going, then yes.

Zabojnik

I remember you not being part of the United Juve broship. This confirms it.

You take that back right now! I'm the fucking founder of the JuveUnited broclub. I simply have no reason to hate City. :p

Everyone should watch Jovetic's first interview after joining City on their Youtube channel.

He's incredibly humble and soft spoken. I don't think I've seen another footballer quite like it.

Jovetic is a great guy by all accounts, a real life Frodo.

qindarka

Banned

It's not that simple. Just because he scored a lot at WBA doesn't necessarily mean he will perform similarly here. WBA has a different style of play, their opposition may play more openly than they would against Chelsea and so on.

And no, I don't think Ba or Torres are good enough either, hence the need for a new signing.

I won't be upset if Lukaku is our main striker but expectations would have to be toned down accordingly.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

If Rooney is 100% going, then yes.

If Chelsea have another Drogba on their hands im going to throw a fit, its unfair damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom