• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

From the FIFA rules:

If a defender starts holding an attacker outside of the box but continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee shall award a penalty kick.

So Dowd got that spot on.

Huh, that's odd. I'm pretty sure the rule used to be that the free kick or penalty is rewarded at the spot where the foul started.

Maybe you should get a penalty for such things, but the double punishment with a penalty AND a sending off is ridiculous. I really want them to change all such rules.

Mascot

Got a strange feeling in my gut that the match this afternoon will be mired in controversy: sendings off, horrendous injuries, bad tempers and brawls. I think Mou might be using spoiler tactics today, telling his players to wind Liverpool up, get under their skin.

S H I T T I N G
B R I C K S
N O W
I
A M

caramac

iblYjpmbp5a1Nx.gif

Hixx

Maybe you should get a penalty for such things, but the double punishment with a penalty AND a sending off is ridiculous. I really want them to change all such rules.

I agree with this, said similar for the Welbeck pen yesterday.

But I am chuffed atm 8)

PowderedToast

watching the replay, it was an excellent bit of refereering from dowd. you never usually see punishment when players don't go down after a foul.

Vard

That's Cardiff down.

Sunderland are going to stay up. I'm telling you all, It's Villa, Norwich and Cardiff for the drop.
For Villa to drop, Fulham would need to win at Stoke and against Crystal Palace. That's already asking for a lot, and Villa would have to lose their remaining 3 (including a home game vs Hull). I think it will be Fulham dropping in their place.

Tc91

Did they change that recently?

I'm sure when Masch had one called against him for pulling Valencia, it was the wrong decision as the foul started outside the box

No idea, I agree with what you said though about the last bit of the pull letting the keeper get ready for the shot so maybe that's what has swayed Dowd in his decision.

See, it doesn't help matters that - for example - the BBC live text says "Replays then show that Cala's foul actually started outside the box though. It should have been a free-kick and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is incredulous on the sideline."

That means that everyone is just going to take that as gospel, when the rules say otherwise.

Yeah it's shitty but until someone comes out and states these rules then people will all think differently.

That's what makes Football great though, if that was given against United I'd be going apeshit and Ole/Cardiff fans have the right to aswell.

Well done to Dowd though for bringing it back, not many refs would of done that.

It was a penalty because I don't like Cardiff and Hixx is mint

:looool that settles it then.

madmackem

Not a pen. Not a red.

Outrageous.
Law states if the tugging continues into the area it's a pen, it just about does and so is a pen he's last man. If refs did these calls more often we'd see less diving because wickham stays on his feet is the only thing that brings doubt on the call.

Labadal

Come on man...you're not losing today. Chelsea's most likely playing with their B team ahead of their game on Wednesday. The league is already gone for their part.

Has anyone actually beaten Liverpool on Anfield this season?

...has anyone actually beaten Liverpool this year?

We lost to Sothampton at Anfield.

We haven't lost in the league in 2014.

bjaelke

Confirmed #LFC team v @chelseafc: Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan, Skrtel, Sakho, Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez

Confirmed #LFC subs v @chelseafc: Jones, Toure, Agger, Cissokho, Alberto, Aspas, Sturridge

Wes

venison crêpe
For Villa to drop, Fulham would need to win at Stoke and against Crystal Palace. That's already asking for a lot, and Villa would have to lose their remaining 3 (including a home game vs Hull). I think it will be Fulham dropping in their place.

Fulham have also won 2 of last 4. Were unlucky not to win again yesterday.

Villa have only got points from 8 fixtures out of 18 at home this season.

K1LLER7

Predictions:

Liverpool 3 - 1 Chelsea
Palace 1 - 2 City
Valencia 0 - 2 Atletico Madrid
Villarreal 1 - 2 Barcelona
Sassuolo 0 - 1 Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom