• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff Bayern

Massive club like that taking firm action is a good example

--

Curtis Good made it into Australia 30 man prelim squad

:lol

Go on Curtis lad. Do the bantams proud

And Bailey Wright and Luongo. Geeza going for youth

I doubt Luongo is going to make the squad. I don't think he was ever called up when he was on our books.

edit: 1 cap in a friendly since we sold him Swindon

dc89

Good stuff Bayern

Massive club like that taking firm action is a good example

--

Curtis Good made it into Australia 30 man prelim squad

:lol

Go on Curtis lad. Do the bantams proud

And Bailey Wright and Luongo. Geeza going for youth

He's had a great season for PNE.

Speaking of which, did everyone see Joe Garner's goal? Imagine if this was scored in the PL, we'd never stop hearing about it.

ibcOKGB97Jl2oY.gif

Vard

I'm still going to watch. Just wish we had some of our loanees back to see how they've developed. Borini time maybe?
Borini is reported to have flown out. Looks like Coutinho, Skrtel, Agger, and Allen will also play. Not sure about Assaidi. I'm curious to see how the team performs.

Feorax

San ‏@Zizouology 3m - El Confidential in Spain report that Florentino Pérez is ready to bid €70 million for Luis Suárez, but he wants Suárez to force a transfer.

"Luis, we don't think you're actually good enough to pay a respectable fee for, but if you could go ahead and whack in a transfer request so we can yet you on the cheap, that would be great."

That's going to go down well.

"Luis, we don't think you're actually good enough to pay a respectable fee for, but if you could go ahead and whack in a transfer request so we can yet you on the cheap, that would be great."

I hope thats not true or Perez is a disrespectful arsehole

WJD

He's had a great season for PNE.

Speaking of which, did everyone see Joe Garner's goal? Imagine if this was scored in the PL, we'd never stop hearing about it.

ibcOKGB97Jl2oY.gif

Yeah, ridiculous. Tops Kasami's for me.

With Wilshere's ahead of both, obvs.

sohois

Getting Suarez to force a transfer really worked out well for Arsenal. I think Liverpool actually would be willing to sell assuming RM break £100million, but stupid shit like this wont' accomplish anything

sohois

Bale is younger and much more marketable, no way will they pay that much money for Suarez.

So they won't be getting him then.

In any case, I'd imagine Liverpool would be more open to player exchanges than Tottenham were, and could see a lower bid plus the likes of Di Maria, Isco, Coentrao or Benzema succeeding.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

This is Madrid's standard tactic with PL players, they did it with Modric and Bale and they will try it with Suarez. It won't work but it helps create a narrative for Marca. £70m sounds about right for Suarez, he's older, uglier and more of a twat than Bale so he won't go for a record fee.

It will be nice to have a summer without a Spurs-Madrid saga for once.

This is Madrid's standard tactic with PL players, they did it with Modric and Bale and they will try it with Suarez. It won't work but it helps create a narrative for Marca. £70m sounds about right for Suarez, he's older, uglier and more of a twat than Bale so he won't go for a record fee.

he is also the best player in the league and invaluable to LFC, so they will have to pay more than they did for Bale to get him.

bud23

I hope thats not true or Perez is a disrespectful arsehole

Florentino has been using that tactic forever, handing transfer requests to force a move and make it cheaper.

It doesn´t mean he´s a disrespectful arsehole or that he´s not willing to pay 100 million. It´s just a (legit) negotiation tactic.

Ushojax

he is also the best player in the league and invaluable to LFC, so they will have to pay more than they did for Bale to get him.

Knowing Perez he wouldn't mind breaking the transfer record two years in a row, but I just don't see it happening. When the Bale talk started last year we originally wanted £100m or £86m + Coentrao, in the end the player started to behave badly and refused to work, Suarez will do the same thing and make keeping him impossible (if Madrid genuinely want to sign him and try all their usual classless shit). In the end you have to accept their offer through gritted teeth.

pappe

70m is not a respectable fee??

Feorax

He won't go for that simply because he's worth more than that to us, even if he isn't to Madrid. I mean no offence by this, but really any sale of Suarez will likely result in a similar situation to what happened to you last summer. He's quite simply irreplaceable at this moment in time.

70m is not a respectable fee??

Not when Bale sold for far more by doing far less. Bale is a wonderful talent, but Suarez at this moment is on another level. You can argue age and marketability, but quite frankly those things mean jack shit to Liverpool, and they're the ones who set the price.

Ushojax

He won't go for that simply because he's worth more than that to us, even if he isn't to Madrid. I mean no offence by this, but really any sale of Suarez will likely result in a similar situation to what happened to you last summer. He's quite simply irreplaceable at this moment in time.

Not when Bale sold for far more by doing far less. Bale is a wonderful talent, but Suarez at this moment is on another level. You can argue age and marketability, but quite frankly those things mean jack shit to Liverpool, and they're the ones who set the price.

I said all those same things last summer. At the end of the day it comes down to the player. If Suarez is happy to stay then you can refuse any offer. If, like all Madrid's targets, he starts behaving like a cunt and downs tools, you'll probably have to sell. I don't remember the last time one of these Madrid transfer sagas ended with the player staying.

LTWheels

I said all those same things last summer. At the end of the day it comes down to the player. If Suarez is happy to stay then you can refuse any offer. If, like all Madrid's targets, he starts behaving like a cunt and downs tools, you'll probably have to sell. I don't remember the last time one of these Madrid transfer sagas ended with the player staying.

Well he downed tools last summer and we dealt with it quite well.

Feorax

It's tough. I reckon we might be able to convince him to stay at least one more year, simply because we've got CL football now and actually shown we can challenge for the title (assuming we show suitable ambition in the summer market).

After that though, Suarez will be 28 next summer and in his prime. If he really wants to move to Spain, he probably wouldn't be able to delay it any longer, which is when I would expect him to really be pushing for a move.

Ushojax

Well he downed tools last summer and we dealt with it quite well.

He didn't though. Suarez trained, he took part in friendlies, he was part of the team even though he was distracted. Bale played one pre-season match in early July and then Madrid talked to his agent. From then on he didn't train, he refused to play any pre-season games, all he did was go to the training ground, pretend he was injured, and go home. When the season started he was not present at the stadium for any games and even went on holiday the week before we played Arsenal. Modric was the same.

When Arsenal make a bid for you nobody gives a shit, the best they could do was offer £1 more than the release clause. That's child's play compared to the underhand tactics Madrid will use if they want a player. If they really want Suarez they will make him force the move. Liverpool have a stronger hand than us with CL football and title-tilts to offer him, but it will still be incredibly difficult to keep him. If they actually want him.

pappe

You cant really treat the whole Bale affair as a standard for future transfers. Its an exception and not the rule.

Bales transfer was sort of a perfect storm as Perez wanted to get the club behind him which was turning against him and signing a star player was the best way to do it. Real needed a star signing which they had lacked for the past few seasons. Currently Real dont really need to spend that big on any 1 player as Benz has had a great year and Morata has had a break through season. Also there will be a big ego clash between Suarez and Cr7 as i doubt Suarez will play second fiddle to him like Benz does.

Spalletti won't come to Milan next season. He asks for way too much money (€4.5m/year) and his staff is too demanding as well (3 people, €1m/year each). So we're left with Inzaghi and Seedorf, which means that Pippo is going to be our new manager.

Suen

We don't need a big signing like Suarez. If Benz can build on his current decent season and Jese does even better than what he did this season it will be fine. I never liked the idea of splashing huge sums of money on world class players every summer, sometimes it's needed but sometimes we have to give our own players a chance.

Would Suarez be an improvement over Benz? In terms of making use of his goal scoring opportunities yes but unless he force his presence up front (much like Bale has had to do, and even then there's a tendency to still give Ronaldo the ball) he's not going to be used to his full potential. If you have Ronaldo - Suarez - Bale up there how are you going to distribute the play? They may cooperate with each other (to be fair Ronaldo and Bale do it pretty ok for their first season together) but all of them will want to score as many goals as possible. That and Suarez is a bag of controversies.

Feorax

So this is the lineup I'm expecting later;

Jones; Flanagan, Skrtel, Agger, Robinson; Lucas, Allen, Coutinho; Aspas, Ibe, Borini.

Alberto, Kolo, maybe even Enrique (if fit) should get minutes from the bench

Suen

You really think Florentino Perez cares about things like this?

He bought Kaka and Ronaldo in the same transfer window.
Of course he doesn't which is why it bothers me everytime, neither does any other Madrid president obsessed with signing a Galactico every year. It's stupid but they will continue in that path anyway, sign amazing players that we don't really need at the moment.

You cant really treat the whole Bale affair as a standard for future transfers. Its an exception and not the rule.

Bales transfer was sort of a perfect storm as Perez wanted to get the club behind him which was turning against him and signing a star player was the best way to do it. Real needed a star signing which they had lacked for the past few seasons. Currently Real dont really need to spend that big on any 1 player as Benz has had a great year and Morata has had a break through season. Also there will be a big ego clash between Suarez and Cr7 as i doubt Suarez will play second fiddle to him like Benz does.
Don't forget that Barca was getting Neymar, if anything that put even more presure on Perez to get a big signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom