• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

How the heck do you meet HG requirement when all the players leaving bar one are English? Genuinely curious.

My previous post:
Regarding FFP, let's say Sagna, Fernando and Mangala signs as heavily reported. Leaving are Lescott, Barry, Richards, Rodwell and Richards, if we follow Pellegrini's 2 players per position philosophy.

Proposed squad:
Hart - HG
Pantilimon
(Wright - HG)
---
Zabaleta
Sagna

Kompany
Demichelis
Nastasic - U21
Mangala

Clichy - HG
Kolarov
---
Fernando
Fernandinho
Yaya
Garcia

Nasri
Silva
Milner - HG
Navas
---
Aguero
Jovetic
Negredo
Dzeko

The problem with this is that there's 18 non-HG, so one too many for Premier League registration. Someone non-HG must be sold if the mentioned players are bought. If it's Garcia, then Rodwell will stay. Rumours of Kolarov leaving, but then a HG left back must be bought.

Basically, Pellegrini always wants the smallest squad in PL, 22 players (2 per position). Only 5 needs to be HG then.

dc89

How the heck do you meet HG requirement when all the players leaving bar one are English? Genuinely curious.

Can we bring a few academy players through into the first team to achieve this? Genuinely curious.
Could Rekik be the HG left back?

---

BnyCMeACIAAVQdL.jpg:large

FFP- surprised City have accepted the ruling. Pretty sure a legal action through the courts would bring it down! Someone will!!
@Gnev2

It won't be us Gary. Not yet anyway.

wedward

Ok let me redo so you get my point:
Leaving:
Barry £90k a week
Lescott £90k a week
Richards £80k a week
Sinclair £60k a week
(Rodwell £60k a week?)
(Garcia £70k a week?)
£320k a week free, potentially £450k

In:
Sagna - ~£160k a week?
Fernando - ~£80k a week?
Mangala - ~£80k a week?
£320k a week

Sagna can then get £160k a week without going higher, he can potentially get £290k a week.

What about your HG players?

Meier

LOOOOL.

Sagna isn't going to get 80 a week.

He wants over 100. Its the reason he is leaving Arsenal.

If you could get £80k a week at Arsenal or £80k a week at Man City in 2014, who would you choose? If City offered him the exact same deal as Arsenal, I bet you he'd take it in a heartbeat. I don't see any reason to believe that we would pay a 31 year old defender more than £100k in 2014.

L1NETT

Doin a bit of reading about parachute payments, had no clue its up to £59 million now. So it's 60mil for TV rights and a bonkers amount for parachutes..which is where all the money to the lower leagues is going

Right little pre season bet. How many clubs are going to go into administration over the next two years chasing promotion

Reckon Bolton first. Leeds might go.

Forest if their money chap packs it in. If Tan goes maybe Cardiff

Modern football eh. Won't be long now till there is no relegation/promotion in the PL

EmiPrime

If you could get £80k a week at Arsenal or £80k a week at Man City in 2014, who would you choose? If City offered him the exact same deal as Arsenal, I bet you he'd take it in a heartbeat. I don't see any reason to believe that we would pay a 31 year old defender more than £100k in 2014.

I would pick the option that doesn't involve making my children change schools, moving my wife away from her friends and having to make new friends at a new club. The change in lifestyle between 80K and 100K a week is non-existent.

Meier

We'll probably extend Boyata if he's willing. Like I said before, maybe sell Panty and bring in a HG keeper as a backup (we could have 3 HG slots filled with keepers). Clichy is HG. We'll register a few of our youth players although they might not ever play (a la Alex Nimely). They'll figure it out. We have a few youth players who are in and around the 1st team who can make the step up for registration purposes (Emyr Huws will be club and country HG, Marcos Lopes will be club and country HG). Obviously Milner and Hart are as well -- this will get us to 8 within the league very easily, the concern is more the UCL and the club-trained requirements. The kids probably aren't good enough yet.

I would pick the option that doesn't involve making my children change schools, moving my wife away from her friends and having to make new friends at a new club. The change in lifestyle between 80K and 100K a week is non-existent.

I think it's pretty safe to say his wife and kids could still live in London while he lived in Manchester. That distance doesn't stop quite a few people from coming to Manchester every weekend.

Scum

Doin a bit of reading about parachute payments, had no clue its up to £59 million now. So it's 60mil for TV rights and a bonkers amount for parachutes..which is where all the money to the lower leagues is going

Right little pre season bet. How many clubs are going to go into administration over the next two years chasing promotion

Modern football eh. Won't be long now till there is no relegation/promotion in the PL
Not before some clubs willingly go down. Have a sensible board and going down into Championship footie doesn't seem so bad with all that money.

And yeah, I'll go with Leeds too.

Manager

Can we bring a few academy players through into the first team to achieve this? Genuinely curious.
Could Rekik be the HG left back?

Do you mean in PL or CL?

In PL, you don't need to have 25 players in your squad, you only has the requirement of maximum 17 non-HG. So you can fill out the last spots with some random EDS players, they did similar last season.

Rekik said he requires 20 matches minimum next season, so I bet he won't be backup, specially at LB where he doesn't seem to fit well at. Think he's been solely CB at PSV. Kolarov talked about contract extension during the parade, so maybe he's not leaving. Maybe Pantilimon goes, with some HG keeper going in, but not too many good of those!

What about your HG players?

See post a couple posts up!

Slizz

None of that matters if Sagna and his agent want the 100k. That extra 80k every 4 weeks @ 100k makes a difference for the future of his family and kids.

@OliverKayTimes
Reminder how Platini initially saw "financial fair play" concept: "If people come into football to make money, we can say ‘No, this is bad’"

But saddling a club with a stupid amount of debt was fine, a debt which still stands at over £300m. Because this goes unpunished. This is perfectly acceptable according to UEFA.

I know you're not a United fan but do you see why City fans get pissed off with FFP?

What would you suggest Platini do to United after the dept was piled onto United?

dc89

Yeah if they break the rules again it won't just be a fine. It'll be no more CL.

from the clubs statement:

"In normal circumstances, the Club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse."

We'd then get legal on their arses. I'm sure of it. I mean, the Bosman lawyer has already said as it stands UEFA have a good chance of losing a legal battle over FFP as it currently is.

Do you mean in PL or CL?

In PL, you don't need to have 25 players in your squad, you only need maximum 17 non-HG. So you can fill out the last spots with some random EDS players, they did similar last season.

Rekik said he requires 20 matches minimum next season, so I bet he won't be backup, specially at LB where he doesn't seem to fit well at. Think he's been solely CB at PSV. Kolarov talked about contract extension during the parade, so maybe he's not leaving. Maybe Pantilimon goes, with some HG keeper going in, but not too many good of those!

Hmmm....tricky.

EmiPrime

I think it's pretty safe to say his wife and kids could still live in London while he lived in Manchester. That distance doesn't stop quite a few people from coming to Manchester every weekend.

Being away from your wife and kids for 9 months a year over the next 3 years sounds like a really shit existence. IMO anyway.

None of that matters if Sagna and his agent want the 100k. That extra 80k every 4 weeks @ 100k makes a difference for the future of his family and kids.

Really? What difference would it make? He can already afford anything he wants in terms of education, food, housing, holidays etc unless he is amazingly awful with money.

Slizz

Being away from your wife and kids for 9 months a year over the next 3 years sounds like a really shit existence. IMO anyway.

Really? What difference would it make? He can already afford anything he wants in terms of education, food, housing, holidays etc unless he is amazingly awful with money.

I get where you're coming from but step back just a second. What difference does more money make??? A good deal actually..... an extra 80k every 4 weeks 13 times in a year.... What if he has another kid? More money needed, more money will be needed regardless.

These points are strictly fiscal as well and nothing to do with joining the defending PL champs.

from the clubs statement:

"In normal circumstances, the Club would wish to pursue its case and present its position through every avenue of recourse."

We'd then get legal on their arses. I'm sure of it. I mean, the Bosman lawyer has already said as it stands UEFA have a good chance of losing a legal battle over FFP as it currently is.

Let me provide you with a lawyer's view on this then:

1. In open/public correspondence you never ever back down and treat everything like you could easily fight off every challenge. The statement from MCFC is from the "I just lost litigation and want to seem like I've not just been fucked in the arse 101" rule book.

2. The Bosman lawyer is looking for clients. Well-heeled clients. Clients like Man City and PSG who will pay him eye-watering fortunes to take this case all the way to the CJEU. Of course he thinks it doesn't stand to scrutiny.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

1. In open/public correspondence you never ever back down and treat everything like you could easily fight off every challenge. The statement from MCFC is from the "I just lost litigation and want to seem like I've not just been fucked in the arse 101" rule book.

2. The Bosman lawyer is looking for clients. Well-heeled clients. Clients like Man City and PSG who will pay him eye-watering fortunes to take this case all the way to the CJEU. Of course he thinks it doesn't stand to scrutiny.

can u be my lawyer?

I might need one for a future custody battle

do u speak Russian by any chance?

Manager

They have probably asked themselves if that journey will cost more than €20m + loss of brand value (becoming the bad guys against FFP), which it probably will in the end. They have no interest in killing FFP, they'll make a profit in the future anyway.

Derp1na

Banned

I think we're witnessing the rise of the multi-club owners. From the top of my head, there's Pozzo at Watford, Cellino at Leeds, and Duchatelet at Charlton. If Watford are anything to go by, the other two are simply going to loan players from their other clubs. In fact, Duchatelet took over Charlton in January and they already have 3 players from Standard Liege in their team. Should be an interesting summer for them.

EmiPrime

I get where you're coming from but step back just a second. What difference does more money make??? A good deal actually..... an extra 80k every 4 months 13 times in a year.... What if he has another kid? More money needed, more money will be needed regardless.

I'm still curious as to how 80K a week (plus sponsorship money and bonuses) isn't enough to raise a family of any size with the best possible education money can buy.

They have probably asked themselves if that journey will cost more than €20m + loss of brand value (becoming the bad guys against FFP), which it probably will in the end. They have no interest in killing FFP, they'll make a profit in the future anyway.

I completely agree. I think they've calculated this down to very fine detail.

Manager

I'm still curious as to how 80K a week (plus sponsorship money and bonuses) isn't enough to raise a family of any size with the best possible education money can buy.

There's tons of variables in this. Let's say he'll get a £2m sign-on bonus, that's £40k a week extra for a year. Plus, he might get a £1m bonus for winning PL for City, another £20k a week, maybe City will win the two upcoming years. We'll never know what goes on in those negotiations, it's too simple to just say "he makes £xx0k a week".

dc89

The European Club Association (ECA) has taken note of UEFA's announcement today regarding pronounced sanctions for clubs in breach with the UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations.

ECA has always been supportive of Financial Fair Play (FFP) and welcomes the fact that UEFA is taking the implementation of the rules seriously. ECA sees the FFP development very positively and is convinced that in the long-term it will lead to a more sustainable and credible club football business.

Commenting on the matter, ECA Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says:

"Financial Fair Play is a bonus for the clubs, as it helps them to control costs. The European clubs are supporting such goal. As we have seen today, UEFA applies Financial Fair Play very consistently. Therefore, I call on all clubs in Europe to respect the rules and continue on the path we have chosen together with UEFA."

Eurgh.
Pls donate your Rolex watches to help us pay our fine.

PSG have essentially been punished the same as City but with more harsh break even rules:

In this regard, PSG undertakes to report a maximum break even deficit of EUR 30 Mio. for the financial year ending in 2015 and no break even deficit for the financial year ending in 2016. In this context the contract between PSG and the Qatar Tourism Authority has been carefully considered and a fair value, significantly below that submitted by the club, has been assigned.

Nice.

Manager

I completely agree. I think they've calculated this down to very fine detail.

People really underestimate the amount of consults involved in this. I heard a good segment on 5live on BBC about this two days ago, see 20:00BST on 13th of May, goes on for 30 minutes with Ian Ladyman and Gabriele Marcotti:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04367ky

Basically, what they are saying is that it's a full war between PWC, Deloitte and other consultancy firms, where both sides tries to make their side win. City's and Uefa's economical staff aren't involved "much", it would brake credibility (specially on Uefa's side).

Restrict transfer spend? So then you could pay the debt off.

But saying this, you do a pretty good job of restricting your own transfer spending :p

Well then United would lose money from CL spot + another 3 million from tv deal + whatever damage being out of top 4 should it happen consecutively.

Restricting transfer spend doesn't really help out much.

Slizz

It doesn't matter lol, stop being a fan of the team he's currently on and think logically.

1. He's a footballer, modest living isn't exactly a part of the culture for the good players playing in the PL and CL, which means.....

2. Him and his wife and kids will want luxury items, from the education to lavish holidays and physical objects(cars, jewelry etc.)

3. I don't get how you're not comprehending a move for 20k more to a team that has a former teammate and fellow Frenchman who have won more trophies in 4 years than he has.

4. As much as people like loyalties and what not in sports and to teams its a business from top to bottom.

People really underestimate the amount of consults involved in this. I heard a good segment on 5live on BBC about this two days ago, see 20:00BST on 13th of May, goes on for 30 minutes with Ian Ladyman and Gabriele Marcotti:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04367ky

Basically, what they are saying is that it's a full war between PWC, Deloitte and other consultancy firms, where both sides tries to make their side win. City's and Uefa's staff aren't involved much, it would brake credibility (specially on Uefa's side).

Yup, I can totally believe it. Ridiculously smart and determined accountants fighting both sides of the battle.

Meier

Milner is off

Guarantee it

YorkshireITK

Milner played 44 games this year. In the 3 years prior, 41, 36 and 35. 156 games in 4 years is a pretty damn good number for a player in a big squad. He's won every medal you can in England and he's still getting significant time playing for the national team. There really isn't a particularly good reason for him to leave. I'm not saying that he won't -- there's obviously a chance he could, but it wouldn't make much sense.

EmiPrime

There's tons of variables in this. Let's say he'll get a £2m sign-on bonus, that's £40k a week extra for a year. Plus, he might get a £1m bonus for winning PL for City, another £20k, maybe City will win the two upcoming years. We'll never know what goes on in those negotiations, it's too simple to just say "he makes £xx0k a week".

I know he can potentially make an absolute mint. My contention is the notion that this will significantly change his lifestyle and that of his children when he can already provide everything they can conceivably want or need. This is not an accountant getting 50K instead of 40K or whatever other false equivalence that gets trotted out when discussion of footballer's salaries comes up.

If he wants to leave Arsenal because he thinks City are more likely to win the league next time and he wants to be part of that success, fair enough but all the rumours point to disputes over money and that's what sours me on him.

dc89

PSG have essentially been punished the same as City but with more harsh break even rules:

Nice.

Do you think City's punishment is harsh enough or...?

Well then United would lose money from CL spot + another 3 million from tv deal + whatever damage being out of top 4 should it happen consecutively.

Restricting transfer spend doesn't really help out much.

Well I'm sure they can think of something.

Manager

Yup, I can totally believe it. Ridiculously smart and determined accountants fighting both sides of the battle.

A lot of people, journalists and Twitter folks, don't seem to understand how big company negotiations work. Seems like people believe there's a group of a few people in Uefa and then 4-5 people in every club sending e-mails back and forth, like it's negotiations in FM. There's just an insane amount of lawyers, accountants, consults involved, negotiating every tiny word in these contracts, over phone, meetings. City says they've had a constant dialogue with Uefa for the last two years about this.

In the end, according to City, what broke this deal was how they perceived how the pre-2010 contracts would be seen in FFP. The contracts of Lescott, Barry etc, which according to City would "remove" a loss of £80m, but Uefa ('s consultants) claim they couldn't do it. But then they must have known about this for some time.

wedward

The one where I am going to be a starter.

PSG will offer more than 80 so I don't think it'll matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom