• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to him they went full on tiki taka against us in 2011 and ripped us apart even more so than in 2009. Possession and other stats were a lot more even in Rome.
Our team was considerably weaker too.

Barca were still very entertaining even back then though. It was the year after it started to get tedious.

bjaelke

CL seeding for next season

gqyDr57.png

*If they qualify through playoff

Blows my mind that some genius at BT thought it'd be a good idea to have Neil fucking Warnock interject in the commentary for the FA Cup final with his nonsense

Sorry Jeff, but I'd rather have a Sky monopoly than see BT gain the ascendency

I don't know if this has already been posted, but Barcelona tried to steal Mastour from us in the past few days. Galliani tried (and apparently managed) to make him stay.

--

Anyway, Casa Milan (our new HQ) is officially open, a few pics:
Outside:

iITw83cA0p3Hm.jpg

ibyvsILBcTvXGH.jpg

ibyTBkhGHmcOPF.png

Trophy Room, Barbie Berlusconi and the museum:

i3lLjlPqE2KJT.png

ibzF11ydwq1bwP.png

iisgJmFmFDFqe.jpg
There's also a restaurant and a shop inside, and of course the board offices. I'll go there in June with some friends, we'll visit both the Milan and the Juventus Museum (Stadium included). Gotta help those clubs with some money somehow.

I don't know if this has already been posted, but Barcelona tried to steal Mastour from us in the past few days. Galliani tried (and apparently managed) to make him stay.

--

There's also a restaurant and a shop inside, and of course the board offices. I'll go there in June with some friends, we'll visit both the Milan and the Juventus Museum (Stadium included). Gotta help those clubs with some money somehow.

Fucking Barca. They probably used Nerman to entice him.

Casa Milan looks great.

Marc

Giggs. Legend. Our greatest ever player.

Not called Charlton or Best.

Obviously Rooney goes without saying.

DC - Night Trap? Fuck you!

A remake of those Star Trek FMV's that did the rounds back in the day maybe, but Night Trap? What was that FMV game with Christopher Walken? I thought gaming had ascended to a new reality, now I know kids are fucking stupid.

Wilbur

Banned
Best's flame flickered all too briefly. The best player convo should always be Charlton or Giggs, with lots of great ones (best included) behind them.

Marc

Best's flame flickered all too briefly. The best player convo should always be Charlton or Giggs, with lots of great ones (best included) behind them.

It is a tough one, consistency vs truly exceptional talent.

Would Giggs at any point have been considered as the best player in the world? Charlton and Best could say that.

It varies as well, I would rather watch Ronaldinho for example at his prime than Messi but Messi has had way more staying power and you have to say the better player.

Is there any video up of LVG and the Window Glazers?

fwiw, I think Fabregas is probably still brilliant, but it's been a long time since he's been allowed to show it and £45m is a lot of money to spend in the hope that he's as good at CM as he was when he left Arsenal

Wilbur

Banned
It is a tough one, consistency vs truly exceptional talent.

Would Giggs at any point have been considered as the best player in the world? Charlton and Best could say that.

It varies as well, I would rather watch Ronaldinho for example at his prime than Messi but Messi has had way more staying power and you have to say the better player.

Is there any video up of LVG and the Window Glazers?

I think it's sometimes forgotten though, amongst the longevity comments and the fact his game has been different for the last ten years or so, exactly how good Giggs was. Watching a few videos today and he was absolutely breathtaking as a youngster.

dc89

He revolutionized football once before by transforming its transfer system -- now Belgian lawyer Jean-Louis Dupont is gunning to change the face of the game for a second time.

In his sights is UEFA's shiny new regulatory regime: Financial Fair Play (FFP), which has become the scourge of Europe's richest football clubs, notably English champion Manchester City and top French side Paris Saint-Germain, which were both heavily sanctioned by Europe's governing body Friday.

FFP is designed to prevent clubs spending beyond their means and posting unsustainable yearly losses, but Dupont believes the sanctions are "completely illegal" because they restrict competition -- a key principle of European Union law.

"The break-even requirement,' that's in itself a pure violation of EU competition law. any sanction that aims at enforcing an illegal rule is automatically illegal, " Dupont told CNN.

In a statement sent to CNN, UEFA said it "completely rejects" the suggestion that the break-even requirement may lead to any restriction of competition in the market for matches played in UEFA club tournaments.

"FFP rules emerged from a wide-reaching consultative process involving all relevant stakeholders in European football," read a statement from UEFA.

" As such, there is no doubt that the rules have democratic legitimacy since they were the product of an inclusive and democratic process.

"The substantive content of the rules -- especially the break-even principle, based on the idea that you 'don't spend more than you earn' -- is just economic common sense and a sensible prudential rule."

But Dupont disagrees.

"FFP sounds good," added Dupont. "Who wouldn't support good governance and fairness of the game?

"But when you scratch the surface, the break-even rule is no more than a prohibition to invest."

Dupont believes FFP raises further competition concerns by entrenching the status quo, by not allowing clubs like City and PSG to challenge the established football order in future.

"UEFA prohibits the owner of a club to spend his own money in the club, at least to buy players, in order to make it grow and to challenge the established top dogs.

"Today, with this rule, Roman Abramovich could not build his Chelsea project and turn it into one of Europe's top clubs.

"In other words, the rule ossifies the market structure. The few top European clubs will remain the same forever -- there will be no new kid in town."
To back up his argument, Dupont cites an academic article by professor Nicolas Petit on EU competition law and FFP.

"Petit says FFP creates what he calls a 'Oligopoleague: the break-even rule destroys competitive balance -- the big clubs will be bigger; the small clubs, smaller ; and no small club will ever again become a big one," said Dupont.

Again UEFA rejects the accusations. It says "FFP enhances competition through improving managerial incentives in football".
It adds that "clubs are encouraged to invest in training and infrastructure rather than 'payroll-gambling'".

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/19/sport/football/financial-fair-play-uefa-dupont/

Wilbur

Banned
40m would be a fair price for Fabregas. Not expensive considering the market and his talent, but not a steal. He's just the wrong fit for this Barca side.

Herr K

Banned

--

Where do you live, Lucifer? I think I'll go to Casa Milan on September, or whenever my Uni gives me vacations.

Slizz

Honestly theres no such thing as a high profile player 'bargain' anymore. The major bargains are made with relatively unknowns panning out well or perfect timing on obtaining a player before he blossoms, see Chicha I guess, Michu, Coutz, etc.

I think it's sometimes forgotten though, amongst the longevity comments and the fact his game has been different for the last ten years or so, exactly how good Giggs was. Watching a few videos today and he was absolutely breathtaking as a youngster.

Giggs was dogged by injury and inconsistency - the latter probably a product of the former.

I can't really remember the first 3-4 years of his career when he was at his most dynamic but watching matches back and listening to those who watched him speak about him - he probably didn't become quite the impact player he could have. But he changed and became something else and that's part of his legend at United really.

I think he's United's best ever - never seen the 60's guys play enough to make a fair judgement but what Giggs has done for the club is incredible. People will always speak about what's happened with his family, and there is a place for that in the wider debate, but as a figurehead for Man United he's incredible and will always be associated as the defining player for the most dominant period in our history, English football history really.

£40 million for Fabregas is a lot but I wouldn't say that it's way too much. He is class but hasn't been able to show it at Barca. It would be a calculated risk I say.

feel

--

iITw83cA0p3Hm.jpg
That cloud looks like a defender trying to hold up play, so good.

Hixx

Honestly theres no such thing as a high profile player 'bargain' anymore. The major bargains are made with relatively unknowns panning out well or perfect timing on obtaining a player before he blossoms, see Chicha I guess, Michu, Coutz, etc.

While I agree that there's no such thing as a bargain when it comes to top players (even if the fee is relatively low, they're still going to eat maybe £10m a year in wages) there's still good value to be had.

Continental clubs will see English clubs coming a mile off with this new TV money. Cardiff got as much in TV/prize money as Man United did last season...

I suppose this summer will set the new standard for prices. Players who cost £25m even 3 years ago will probably be £40m+ this summer.

On Fabregas - he is still a great player. 42 goals and 48 assists in his 3 years at Barca is a very impressive output. Of course, it's Barcelona which skews things a bit and he hasn't been as good as you might have thought he would be, no denying that. But at the same time they haven't found a role for him to slot into it. His talent and ability is still there.

£40m, £45m - it's alot of money. It's "too much" really but United are going to have to pay too much. What would a fair price be? £30m? We have to pay more than that.

I am sure there is someone out there who would cost half and could be as good if not better going forwards but 1) can we identify him 2) the ones easily identifiable will be in demand and clubs who are a more attractive proposition will be ahead of us in the pecking order.

Probably not many clubs willing to pay that sum for Fabregas because they simply don't need to.

The main question about signing him would be can he get back into playing the type of role we would be expecting him to play. It's been a while.

Anyway - I've written all that and I'm gonna finish by saying I don't think we will get him because I think Barca would rather sell Sanchez and I'm not sure Fabregas will really want to make the move right now.

faridmon

--

Great building! Love the aesthetics within in is as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom