• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

V. Gaal: ‘We don’t talk about money. We talk about the players I want. We’ll have to see if we can get them. We also talked about who can go’

i70zx84ufXimS.gif

K2LS5CJ.gif

True Wenger is cowardly when it comes to spending. But Ozil's transfer changed things. You don't sign a player like him without assurances.
I get that logic but wenger has never been a big spender bar ozil. As for assurances I would hope he would have them but you never know with wenger, you have lost many great players over the years, not saying you'll lose ozil just that the past hasn't been great in that regard

wedward

Name the last high profile signing Wenger made before Ozil.

Podolski doesn't count because he came from a team that got relegated the year they bought him.

Why do I need to?

Why do I care what we did 2 or 3 years ago? The situation is not the same.

It is incredible how people totally ignore the financial situation the stadium caused.

Barzul

Why do I need to?

Why do I care what we did 2 or 3 years ago? The situation is not the same.

It is incredible how people totally ignore the financial situation the stadium caused.

True people are not even considering the contracts that are expiring this summer, freeing up wages. Bendtner, Park, Sagna (someone like Aurier is not going to command similar wages). And players like Diaby who could be off. This is ignoring what is probably going to be a season of record revenues for us. We can make a big splash if we
Wenger
wanted.

jtb

Banned
was Cazorla not a high profile signing? everyone rated him very highly, he turned down a move to Madrid before, etc.

wedward

True people are not even considering the contracts that are expiring this summer, freeing up wages. Bendtner, Park, Sagna (someone like Aurier is not going to command similar wages). And players like Diaby who could be off. This is ignoring what is probably going to be a season of record revenues for us. We can make a big splash if we
Wenger
wanted.

I am tired of the idea that Wenger is totally opposed to spending money.

Like, do people honestly think Wenger enjoys selling his best players and replacing them with bargains?

He wanted a new stadium so we could compete financially. And competing financially is about spending money.

He is picky with players and if he is spending a huge amount of money he is going to make sure it is the right player

Barzul

was Cazorla not a high profile signing? everyone rated him very highly, he turned down a move to Madrid before, etc.

He was, but he was cheap so it doesn't feel the same to some. It's like when Man City spent 30m on Fernandinho, he was hyped just because of his price tag. No one really knew who the fuck he was, unless you just happened to actively follow Shaktar.

I get that logic but wenger has never been a big spender bar ozil. As for assurances I would hope he would have them but you never know with wenger, you have lost many great players over the years, not saying you'll lose ozil just that the past hasn't been great in that regard

Record TV deal, New Kit sponsor money and declining debt. Arsenal is at turning point. Wenger knows the team is short of a genuine game winner like Ramsey and he will invest this summer to get that

Salvadora

Think, more than anything, Wenger doesn't want to spend over what he considers a player's value.

Which makes it difficult to sign the sort of players Arsenal would be after as we're typically competing with oil clubs and the like who don't possess that type of thinking.

Barzul

I am tired of the idea that Wenger is totally opposed to spending money.

Like, do people honestly think Wenger enjoys selling his best players and replacing them with bargains?

He wanted a new stadium so we could compete financially. And competing financially is about spending money.

He is picky with players and if he is spending a huge amount of money he is going to make sure it is the right player

There's so many deals we could have completed with just a little more. Prime example is signing Flamini instead of Gustavo last summer. You really think we couldn't have done that deal? I think Salva is ultimately making the right point, Wenger has a valuation for a player and he doesn't budge on that unless they're exceptional like Ozil.

faridmon

It's pretty tough to get invested in NBC shows these days. :( I found it to be pretty entertaining. I know Wes was a fan as well.

If you haven't watched the About a Boy TV series yet, I highly recommend it. It's terribly endearing.

So I have heard about NBC and ABC TV series. Bummed me out because I felt there was a sweet family bondage going on that was both endearing and touching. Nor to mention the supernatural elements which was also well done!

Will watch About a boy as well

That was the Cuaron show right?

Yeah, Alfonso Cuarón one, with the JJ Abrams production company at the helm.

GQman2121

Banned
A high profile signing is such a subjective statement. You would be better to focus on signings that have and have not worked out regardless of their transfer fee.

jtb

Banned
Arshavin was definitely high profile when he arrived. Beater of worlds, slayer of Liverpool title challenges.

Not really, as all those players didn't make it big till Arsenal.

just depends how you define/frame "high profile." all of them were very highly rated youngsters that could have gone to any top club and they came to Arsenal

Meier

He was, but he was cheap so it doesn't feel the same to some. It's like when Man City spent 30m on Fernandinho, he was hyped just because of his price tag. No one really knew who the fuck he was, unless you just happened to actively follow Shaktar.

disgusted018.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom