• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koko

Banned
I think Benz could be possible.

Especially once Real lose on Saturday and he realizes La Decima is never coming.

tumblr_inline_mi48emLt0f1qz4rgp.gif

I still think if and I don't see it happening and we sell Suarez, we should go all in for higuian, maybe rafa would do us a deal with reina going the other way too

I think if we lose Suarez, the only way we could redeem that would be with Cavani. Played the right way he would light the league up!

Higuain strikes me as a bit of a Soldado

Wilbur

Banned
Gervinho has shown at two different clubs other than Arsenal that he's a good player, so the failings aren't solely on him. jtb is right.

Lightning

Banned
I'm just saying temper expectations, I never expected Liverpool to go on a massive spending spree the next season when we signed torres, I wouldn't expect the same just because you bought ozil last season.
I don't really care how much we spend. Budgets are a have, imo. I was mainly on about your Ozil ghost comment. Ozil is an outstanding player and I'm really glad we have him.

Meier

I can't even begin to fathom why we would supposedly be giving Sagna such a huge deal (£140-150k a week). Every signing last summer was £80k a week or less except Ferna who was £90-100k and they were all much younger than Sagna. We're not even paying Zaba more than £100k a week as is and he's a club legend at this point. I'll be very disappointed if the figure gets reported by anything over than the tabloids (Mail said £150k, Star £140k).

The Star say United offered even more than that (they said another £1m so I guess about £20k a week more) but he turned them down to play in the Champions League.

Salvadora

I can't even begin to fathom why we would supposedly be giving Sagna such a huge deal (£140-150k a week). Every signing last summer was £80k a week or less except Ferna who was £90-100k and they were all much younger than Sagna. We're not even paying Zaba more than £100k a week as is and he's a club legend at this point. I'll be very disappointed if the figure gets reported by anything over than the tabloids (Mail said £150k, Star £140k).

The Star say United offered even more than that (they said another £1m so I guess about £20k a week more) but he turned them down to play in the Champions League.
Isn't it obvious?

He's moving on a free. Can't compare the wages he will get with those of a normal transfer.

jtb

Banned

because he's free? what's an extra 50k a week compared to Fernandinho when you don't have to fork out 30m to get him?

I remember when Flamini left on a free to Milan, he was on some really ridiculous wages (like 100k/week iirc), and they were happy to pay him because it's really a pittance compared to not having to pay a transfer fee.

L1NETT

It's Sagna's last big payday. Can't blame him for wanting silly money. And where better to go for just that

His agent is probably a right gnarly stubbon git too.

in his final season at Lille, Gervinho was a better player than Hazard. seriously. very highly rated.

No he absolutely was not. Jesus Christ, lol.

Hazard went nuts in the second half of the season, scored an obscene 40-yard winner with his weaker foot v title contenders Marseille, won them the league, and was named POTY.

Gervinho is a good player, but couldn't hack the intense scrutiny of playing at a club like Arsenal, so Wenger sold him. His confidence tanked and it wasn't coming back. Blame the Emi crowd, not Arsene. Far better players like Pedro and/or Alexis Sanchez are available this summer, so I don't even know why he's relevant anyway tbh. We have an opportunity to upgrade on Podolski in a big way, just hope we do it.

Nicktendo86

Record TV deal, New Kit sponsor money and declining debt. Arsenal is at turning point. Wenger knows the team is short of a genuine game winner like Ramsey and he will invest this summer to get that
My brother has been saying the same thing for years. The stadium has been paid in full. THE STADIUM HAS BEEN PAID IN FULL!!!!

Meier

Isn't it obvious?

He's moving on a free. Can't compare the wages he will get with those of a normal transfer.

because he's free? what's an extra 50k a week compared to Fernandinho when you don't have to fork out 30m to get him?

I remember when Flamini left on a free to Milan, he was on some really ridiculous wages (like 100k/week iirc), and they were happy to pay him because it's really a pittance compared to not having to pay a transfer fee.

If he comes in and is making 1.5x what Zabaleta is making, I can't imagine that's good for squad harmony. You can view it as if we'd paid £7.5m for his transfer fee and he was on £100k a week if you want to look at the bottom line which hey, that's not bad, but how does the player who is starting ahead of him feel? I wouldn't be happy. I think it's a terrible decision if it's accurate.

I'd discount whatever the Star says, Meier.

It's the very worst tabloid trash in Britain.

I want to believe that both of them are wrong here, trust me.

If he comes in and is making 1.5x what Zabaleta is making, I can't imagine that's good for squad harmony. You can view it as if we'd paid £7.5m for his transfer fee and he was on £100k a week if you want to look at the bottom line which hey, that's not bad, but how does the player who is starting ahead of him feel? I wouldn't be happy. I think it's a terrible decision if it's accurate.
Perhaps a renewal is in the offing for Zabaleta? He's earned it.

Wilbur

Banned

Hazard went nuts in the second half of the season, scored an obscene 40-yard winner with his weaker foot v title contenders Marseille, won them the league, and was named POTY.

Gervinho is a good player, but couldn't hack the intense scrutiny of playing at a club like Arsenal, so Wenger sold him. His confidence tanked and it wasn't coming back. Blame the Emi crowd, not Arsene. Far better players like Pedro and/or Alexis Sanchez are available this summer, so I don't even know why he's relevant anyway tbh. We have an opportunity to upgrade on Podolski in a big way, just hope we do it.

couldn't hack scrutiny at arsenal

moved to roma

Salvadora

On the subject of Gervinho, I think perhaps things could have been done differently in his time at Arsenal, but I don't consider it a particular injustice. Arshavin is the only case where I think Wenger has actively ruined a player.

His time at Lille is difficult to assess in the broader scheme of things, because it is Ligue 1. And not even the Ligue 1 of today. Would like to tune in to Roma to see how he's improved.

Wilbur

Banned
On the subject of Gervinho, I think perhaps things could have been done differently in his time at Arsenal, but I don't consider it a particular injustice. Arshavin is the only case where I think Wenger has actively ruined a player.

His time at Lille is difficult to assess in the broader scheme of things, because it is Ligue 1. And not even the Ligue 1 of today. Would like to tune in to Roma to see how he's improved.

He's great. Part of a great team with a great coach, but he's crucial to the way they attack. Still can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo half the time, but he has so many shots that he scores a bunch.

jtb

Banned
was looking up Gervinho's stats, completely forgot his very first game when he got sent off for headbutting Joey Barton loool

edit: just kidding it was a slap lol. I think it was Diaby who headbutted Barton

they were both very good; Gervinho had excellent production. 14 goals, 10 assists in 32 league appearances.

either way, would love to see Pedro or (especially) Sanchez at Arsenal but we already have so many needs that require immediate attention and I can't imagine either would come cheap. Would be good to get some directness in this side, though.

Gervinho was an alright dribbler, just missed that final touch really. Lots of times he got into good positions but his brain just told him to fuck the chance up. Like that Bradford miss...lol.

Derp1na

Banned
Listening to the monday night club on 5 live, one of the panelists whose name I forget is convinced the reason we didnt get Thiago last summer is because of Ryan Giggs. According to him the deal was set and agreed and all that needed to take place was the medical, Moyes did a round table of his coaches and everyone but Giggs wanted him, Giggs said he was not a United player and the deal was pulled.

Probably old news but id never heard this before.

Giggs is a part of that old boys' club that really should be broken up by van Gaal. You can't really get advice from Giggs when the same shitbags that are in United's squad are the same shitbags that Giggs is bezzie mates with. Of course he doesn't want to sign Thiago to replace his bum chum Tom Cleverley.

Van Gaal obviously gave Giggs a choice about becoming his ass man or playing on. Pick your poison. Have a player who hasn't been good for about 12 years (other than 06/07) playing in your midfield or have him as an assistant manager who's obviously going to be baying for your blood like he's Tim Sherwood. Either way, Giggs being there is a board directive.

Van Gaal should have made Keane his assistant manager. He's the only person who's consistently right about United.

Meier

Perhaps a renewal is in the offing for Zabaleta? He's earned it.

He signed a new deal until 2017 last summer (think it was like the 3rd or 4th time we've extended him since he joined the club) and I agree that he's probably earned himself another raise. But let's say we raise his salary to equal with this supposed Sagna salary -- that's insane. You don't want to be spending £300k a week on RBs.

We're negotiating with Kolarov about a new deal. His agent recently said he makes £2.9m right now -- so about £60k a week. He'll say hey if Sagna is going to make £150k, why aren't I making somewhere near that? I just hope it isn't true. Defenders know they'll never make anywhere near what an attacker makes -- that's par for the course. We don't need to be destroying our wage structure for defenders to sign Bacary Sagna at 31 years old. He ain't good enough for that.

Scum

Wilbur, pls. You've got all off ArseGAF out tonight.

Gervinho was an alright dribbler, just missed that final touch really. Lots of times he got into good positions but his brain just told him to fuck the chance up. Like that Bradford miss...lol.

Even the Bradford players were shocked.

EmiPrime

The idea that Wenger ruined Bendtner and Arshavin is a bit crazy. There's a reason that despite wanting to get rid of both of them long before their contract was over no other club wanted to match their wages; it was no big secret that their attitudes were awful. Bentdner's antics off the pitch speak for themselves and Arshavin became fat and lazy.

Chamakh and Gervinho didn't work out and neither were good enough anyway.

bud

gervinho can't deal with the pace, can't finish, has zero awareness, and has a worse touch than sanogo.

i'm glad he's gone.

Wilbur

Banned
Must be happy with the Ra's announcement, huh? I reckon he'll light a fire under Rooney and he'll turn up next season.

Valencia and Young, on the other hand, are doomed.

Delighted. I think it'll be fun next year, whether that's on the pitch or off it. This year it was only fun for everyone else.

couldn't hack scrutiny at arsenal

moved to roma

Well, yeah.

"I made that decision [to sell Gervinho] because he looked to play with a lack of confidence, especially at the Emirates,"

"He is a very creative player, an instinctive dribbler and for that you need a lot of confidence to be completely efficient. I felt that in the last six months it was very difficult for him to express his talent in a confident way.

"Then you sit there and think, 'Do I bring him back or does he need a new challenge to get that confidence back?' and I did not want to stop him from getting a new chance."

I'm not saying it in a Real Madrid sort of way, like "oh Arsenal are so big you need to be amazing to play for us", I just mean that Gooners in general tend to dish out a ridiculous, unfair (imo) amount of stick to their own players, and that's something you have to be able to deal with, as much as I dislike it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom