• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
No. I'd rather have Ox, Cazorla and Gnabry out wide.

He isn't good enough to be a starter and if he is so delicate that his confidence sinks when he is on the bench than he would be worthless. 4 in 37 is horrible.

He couldn't cross either.

Gnabry and Ox are still very raw. Cazorla had a poor season.

(4 in 31 isn't 4 in 37 but it's not too far off)

He's right footed and Wenger played him on the left.

I believe in Gervinho.

His agent is a snake and had pulled the same thing the last two summers. Not to say I don't think he's involved in it as well.

With that being said, I could envision him having a clause in his deal that would give him a huge bonus it he won POTS and since he was so close probably wants some extra money. It's pretty clear the English press and players won't give it to him with another big year so incentivized deals like that may not work as well in his favor.

He's 31 now. Sounds nuts to say it considering he's just had the season's he's had...but would City really want to commit to £200k+/week for another 4 or so years? Not sure that's the best idea.

was this Atletico analysis posted earlier? I'll just leave it here as it was a great read.

That guy is worth a follow on Twitter. Goes on a few rants but usually very interesting and insightful stuff.

jtb

Banned
Gervinho is a better player than Ox and Gnabry currently are. maybe they'll surpass him in the future, we'll see.

with regards to the Theo conundrum—the best solution is probably to do what Rudi Garcia (and most teams with inverted wingers) does and have them swap and interchange in a flexible front three. I think having both of them on either side of Giroud with Ozil behind would have covered up a lot of the flaws that both have that were pretty horribly exposed this season.

Clegg

Now that LvG is on board I hope we see an acceleration in our efforts to sign players. Hopefully we'll bring one in before the World Cup starts. There's just so much that needs to be done to fix the squad.

K1LLER7

Van Gaal talks about himself in 3rd person lol.

Can't wait for the day he takes charge. Will be weird to see us playing in triangles instead of just hoofing it forwards.

----

Wouldn't be surprised if Monaco or Psg make a move for Cole. Does Abidal start at LB for Monaco?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Now that LvG is on board I hope we see an acceleration in our efforts to sign players. Hopefully we'll bring one in before the World Cup starts. There's just so much that needs to be done to fix the squad.

I fear ineptness and stalling I really do, one or two deals are probably done, but im not hearing alot about many others. Very feasible we go into the season without a CM or a Winger who can bring us forward.

Scum

Cole would be a great signing for almost anyone. I'd have him for a year or two if we didn't get Shaw. City and Liverpool would also benefit massively from having him. Weird that City would go after Sagna when Zabaleta is so prominent, and not Cole considering their current LBs.

Surprised not to hear many teams swarming around him. Could easily get two more years out of him.

You're not signing Shaw because you're not stupid enough to bid £27m for him. You'll probably sign Moreno for half that price.

Right, but instead we're linked with a £17m deal for a 28 year old Atletico lb (Luis? I forget his name).

If we're spending big on a left back then Shaw makes so much sense: very talented, young, English and he's a Chelsea fan (loyalty factor). If we want to build a brand new proper spine, he's exactly the sort of player we should be going for, even if he's expensive, it will be worth it.

Clegg

I fear ineptness and stalling I really do, one or two deals are probably done, but im not hearing alot about many others. Very feasible we go into the season without a CM or a Winger who can bring us forward.
Van Gaal won't countenance starting the season with a new midfielder. United's midfield currently doesn't have the qualities he's built his whole coaching ideal around.

Felipe Luis is fucking brilliant to be fair to him

But its completely against the clubs transfer policy of buying young players. The aim is to (try to) build a young exciting team of talented players that won't really need to replacing in the core positions - strikers have always been a tough spot for us so that won't work but otherwise it will make a lot of sense.

I have nothing against Felipe Luis, but I don't get why they suddenly decide to venture away from the plan when it doesn't make sense.

K1LLER7

Van Gaal won't countenance starting the season with a new midfielder. United's midfield currently doesn't have the qualities he's built his whole coaching ideal around.
He must have an idea of who he wants. Woodward probably has a list and its up to him to make these deals happen.

Hopefully Shaw is wrapped up/announced as the window opens and a midfielder signing too before the WC.

Clegg

Right, but instead we're linked with a £17m deal for a 28 year old Atletico lb (Luis? I forget his name).

If we're spending big on a left back then Shaw makes so much sense: very talented, young, English and he's a Chelsea fan (loyalty factor). If we want to build a brand new proper spine, he's exactly the sort of player we should be going for, even if he's expensive, it will be worth it.
I've a very hazy recollection about Chelsea skirting the limits of ffp compliance. Maybe £27m is just too much for a position you already have some decent players in? Might be better spent on a striker.

Wasn't there a story that Shaw wasn't guaranteed a first team position at Chelsea which is why he prefers to go to United. And I'm sure £100k/week helps.

Clegg

The window isn't even open yet. No need to panic so soon. We will have to panic, but later. Don't spoil your summer, lads.
I'm not panicking at the thought of not signing players. I'm convinced the club has learnt its lesson after last summers shambles so even if we miss out on first choice targets we'll at least have an idea of who to go for next. It's just that there's so much to be done.

K1LLER7

Wasn't there a story that Shaw wasn't guaranteed a first team position at Chelsea which is why he prefers to go to United. And I'm sure £100k/week helps.
Yeah, playing opportunity was the main issue. Think the paper mentioned Azpilicueta(?) Playing in his position put him off a bit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
He must have an idea of who he wants. Woodward probably has a list and its up to him to make these deals happen.

Hopefully Shaw is wrapped up/announced as the window opens and a midfielder signing too before the WC.

Im not sure whether I have any faith in Woodward, his job is made somewhat easier that people will want to come for LvG but he has masterminded two deals so far and by all accounts messed up more with his inexperience. Im not going all dour yet but there is a series of complications this summer that put me uneasy.

Scum

Which edition of Watch Dogs are you buying? Here's a spreadsheet to help you out..
Ubi, pls. But for all that is fucking Holy, do not disappoint me, reviews.

tumblr_mfq0biyTFK1qgb7q2o1_500.gif

We had Moyes Boys.

What is it with Gaal?

League of Assassins, innit.

K1LLER7

Im not sure whether I have any faith in Woodward, his job is made somewhat easier that people will want to come for LvG but he has masterminded two deals so far and by all accounts messed up more with his inexperience. Im not going all dour yet but there is a series of complications this summer that put me uneasy.
He had help from Gill and Fergie with the Mata deal. Hopefully his past year in the job role has seen hik improve. Can't be having offers sent to the wrong teams again :(

You'll see

they'll be sold
To Everton and Newcastle. #IAMITK

I've a very hazy recollection about Chelsea skirting the limits of ffp compliance. Maybe £27m is just too much for a position you already have some decent players in? Might be better spent on a sstriker.

New deals with Adidas, TV deals, registering big FFP profits for Mata and KdB, and soon David Luiz and hopefully Mikel and possibly Ramires means I'm not particularly concerned about that.

Club have been planning for FFP for a long time, we're set to get a massive increase in earnings, theres a post here about it. I can't find the other one they did on FFP but its pretty interesting reading, its a good site even if I don't read it that much. The club were officially FFP compliant though and aren't expecting any issues with it in the future as it stands.

Crazy how quickly a career begins to wind up in football. Cole was getting on but in the last few weeks his career at the top of the game has dissipated.

Chipotle

Have there been any articles looking at what kind of transfers van Gaal usually makes? Seems like there's a lot of stuff on his methods and how he promotes young players but the amount that'll need to be bought at United make the transfer side of his management pretty important.

K1LLER7

Crazy how quickly a career begins to wind up in football. Cole was getting on but in the last few weeks his career at the top of the game has dissipated.
Yeah.

Probably the best LB I've watched play. Solid going foward and back. Always looked so calm on the ball and in big matches. Very few as good imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom