• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nigeria youth international, Musa Yahaya is primed for a return to his parent club, Tottenham Hotspurs before the beginning of the next season after a loan spell with Spanish club Celta Vigo.
According to the player’s agent, Babawo Mohammed, “Yahaya is a Spurs player. He will return to Spurs early enough for the pre-season because he is billed for the training tour.”

Apparently this kid is seriously talented, I understand a lot of big clubs were looking at him.

Wilbur

Banned
Well, yeah.

"I made that decision [to sell Gervinho] because he looked to play with a lack of confidence, especially at the Emirates,"

"He is a very creative player, an instinctive dribbler and for that you need a lot of confidence to be completely efficient. I felt that in the last six months it was very difficult for him to express his talent in a confident way.

"Then you sit there and think, 'Do I bring him back or does he need a new challenge to get that confidence back?' and I did not want to stop him from getting a new chance."

I'm not saying it in a Real Madrid sort of way, like "oh Arsenal are so big you need to be amazing to play for us", I'm just calling it as it is. Gooners in general tend to dish out a ridiculous, unfair (imo) amount of stick to their own players, and that's something you have to be able to deal with, as much as I dislike it.

I think its safe to say that if Gervinho felt the pressure from Arsenal fans, he also does from Roma ultras.

jtb

Banned
Gervinho was a scapegoat. Easy to blame him because he puts up the highlight reel misses instead of blaming the manager that puts him in the position to miss those chances or relies on Diaby to be our key midfield player. The squad as a whole played pretty poorly in both of those seasons, never really clicked until the run-in, at which point Gervinho lost his place in the starting lineup.

not dissimilar from when Ramsey received all that criticism (including from me) for his poor performances. easier to blame him than Jack "Jesus Christ" Wilshere

Elchele

I'm trying to find a good pic of a bed/bedroom but it has to be taken from the top (from where the roof would be). I don't know how to write that in english tho to google it, pls help

Gervinho was a scapegoat. Easy to blame him because he puts up the highlight reel misses instead of blaming the manager that puts him in the position to miss those chances or relies on Diaby to be our key midfield player. The squad as a whole played pretty poorly in both of those seasons, never really clicked until the run-in, at which point Gervinho lost his place in the starting lineup.

As a fan of the Ivory Coast national team I rate Gervinho

If he could score he'd be an asset to any team.

bud

gervinho just wasn't good enough. i'm happy that he's doing well at roma because he seems like a nice guy, but the rare time i actually see them play, i see him pull the same stuff he pulled at arsenal. he's comical; very, very rough around the edges.

not worth the trouble.

Meier

The Sun reporting Yaya wants to leave City.

Just typical bullshit from them. He was interviewed last week by a French news outlet and he said his typical "Who knows with football, anything can happen" blah blah stuff.

When asked if he'd finish his career at Manchester City or had any other ambitions, Toure said "In football we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, we know as a professional footballer the ambitions of a couple of clubs now... On my part, I was able to be in a different country, a different club and I don't doubt about my adaptation, it's unbelievable. I've always been able to adapt quick and in a difficult situation and have this feeling that I don't know where the football is going to put me.

He then told Sky that he wanted to win the Champions League with City next season. He won't go anywhere.

Man. I wanted to brag that I beat Willkiller 6:0 with Dortmund. But then he beat me 4:1 with Brazil. Crazy games, yo.

Just crazy, taking nothing away from how you played in that one but nearly every pass I made went straight to one of your players. Fifa is one frustrating game at times!

EmiPrime

gervinho just wasn't good enough. i'm happy that he's doing well at roma because he seems like a nice guy, but the rare time i actually see them play, i see him pull the same stuff he pulled at arsenal. he's comical; very, very rough around the edges.

not worth the trouble.

I'm still trying to get my head around Gervinho missing tap ins somehow being Wenger's fault.

jtb

Banned
I'm still trying to get my head around Gervinho missing tap ins somehow being Wenger's fault.

he's not a striker. Wenger played him as a striker. not just a striker—but as an isolated, lone forward.

the Bradford miss? that was Gervinho playing up front.

if that's not a complete and utter tactical failure, I don't know what is.

EmiPrime

you needed (and still need) someone like Luiz Gustavo in your midfield. You weren't exactly in an urge to sign someone like Ozil.

The confidence boost Ozil's signing gave to the fans and the team was priceless. He was exactly what we needed at the time and he will be even better next season.

wedward

he's not a striker. Wenger played him as a striker. not just a striker—but as an isolated, lone forward.

ok, but he could't finish. As a winger you should be able to finish.

Are you trying to say that he missed because he was playing as a striker? There is no excuse for that miss.

K1LLER7

Can't wait to get a PS4 and play against you guys on Fifa!

One more exam and then I might treat myself to a PS4. Probably wait till after E3 though. Hope they announce some new colours. I want a white PS4. Sony pls.

EmiPrime

the Bradford miss? that was Gervinho playing up front.

I still expect a forward player to be able to put away easy chances, doesn't matter if he's a striker, on the winger or whatever. Some of his misses were really comical.

Hixx

@TheRealAC3 1m
I am weighing up my options for playing next season with my agent and sadly it does not look like chelsea will be one of them. 💙💙💙💙

Think he'll go abroad. Question is, does he go into semi-retirement aka the MLS or stay in Europe?

jtb

Banned
ok, but he could't finish. As a winger you should be able to finish.

Are you trying to say that he missed because he was playing as a striker? There is no excuse for that miss.

and what about Gibbs miss in the final? point blank range, these misses happen.

Gervinho's scored quite a few goals for Roma and Lille. I wouldn't say he can't finish—I'd say he's inconsistent. Don't put yourself in a position where you're relying on him to be your sole provider of goals and he'll provide a lot for your side. that's what I believe, anyways.

I still expect a forward player to be able to put away easy chances, doesn't matter if he's a striker, on the winger or whatever. Some of his misses were really comical.

He's a better wide player than any of the wide options we have right now barring Theo. embarrassing finishes and all.

wedward

Gervinho's scored quite a few goals for Roma and Lille. I wouldn't say he can't finish—I'd say he's inconsistent. Don't put yourself in a position where you're relying on him to be your sole provider of goals and he'll provide a lot for your side. that's what I believe, anyways.

Gibbs is a left back.

subtles

We scored 3 against Palace away and 3 at home. Our defence let us down in the away game.

Chelsea is the only team we haven't really broken down. Dat bus.

I had a chance to watch the game again recently.

Honestly, forget about patience/probing/switching play etc, etc.

The exact specifications to that bus were infuriatingly glorious. The minimal space that backline occupied was incredible.

@TheRealAC3 1m
I am weighing up my options for playing next season with my agent and sadly it does not look like chelsea will be one of them. ��������

Think he'll go abroad. Question is, does he go into semi-retirement aka the MLS or stay in Europe?

Wouldn't surprise me if Carlo took him to Real.

Disappointed he's leaving, especially as we're not getting Shaw.

Wilbur

Banned
Cole would be a great signing for almost anyone. I'd have him for a year or two if we didn't get Shaw. City and Liverpool would also benefit massively from having him. Weird that City would go after Sagna when Zabaleta is so prominent, and not Cole considering their current LBs.

jtb

Banned
Gibbs is a left back.

it was point blank. I'm sure he can kick the ball forward. what about RVP missing point blank against Milan? my point is that these misses happen. they're inexplicable and they do happen a bit more often for Gervinho than others because he has an inconsistent touch. that shouldn't take away from the other elements of Gervinho's game

GorillaJu

Gervinho did score as a central forward, I remember the whole discussion about how they had found his best position and he would finally be useful for the club. Didn't pan out, but for a short while it looked to be the answer.

bud

He's a better wide player than any of the wide options we have right now barring Theo. embarrassing finishes and all.

well, there is a reason why gibbs is playing as a defender and not as a forward.

also, those misses, and other questionable things, happened too often with gervinho.

jtb

Banned
the only time Gervinho scored as a center forward was against Southampton. he scored twice. they eventually found their footing that season, but they were completely overrun in that first game at the Emriates. only a couple games after promotion. it was very premature to read anything into that game (I'm directing that towards Wenger, not anyone here).

let me reframe the debate. I know Gervinho has flaws, they're blatantly obvious. but is he not better than our current non-Theo wide options?

wedward

the only time Gervinho scored as a center forward was against Southampton. he scored twice. they eventually found their footing that season, but they were completely overrun in that first game at the Emriates. only a couple games after promotion. it was very premature to read anything into that game (I'm directing that towards Wenger, not anyone here).

let me reframe the debate. I know Gervinho has flaws, they're blatantly obvious. but is he not better than our current non-Theo wide options?

No. I'd rather have Ox, Cazorla and Gnabry out wide.

He isn't good enough to be a starter and if he is so delicate that his confidence sinks when he is on the bench than he would be worthless. 4 in 37 is horrible.

He couldn't cross either.

Meier

Yaya Toure looking for a new shiny contract.
His agent is a snake and had pulled the same thing the last two summers. Not to say I don't think he's involved in it as well.

With that being said, I could envision him having a clause in his deal that would give him a huge bonus it he won POTS and since he was so close probably wants some extra money. It's pretty clear the English press and players won't give it to him with another big year so incentivized deals like that may not work as well in his favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom