• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Right, but instead we're linked with a £17m deal for a 28 year old Atletico lb (Luis? I forget his name).

If we're spending big on a left back then Shaw makes so much sense: very talented, young, English and he's a Chelsea fan (loyalty factor). If we want to build a brand new proper spine, he's exactly the sort of player we should be going for, even if he's expensive, it will be worth it.

Filipe Luis is phenomenal.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Have there been any articles looking at what kind of transfers van Gaal usually makes? Seems like there's a lot of stuff on his methods and how he promotes young players but the amount that'll need to be bought at United make the transfer side of his management pretty important.

He buys players who will fit his system, theoretically he could take a look at what we have and make the system work, not fucking likely but its possible. He doesnt give a rats ass about who is who so long as they do their job, this makes it kinda hard to tell who he wants to bring it till he knows who doesnt fit.

Clegg

New deals with Adidas, TV deals, registering big FFP profits for Mata and KdB, and soon David Luiz and hopefully Mikel and possibly Ramires means I'm not particularly concerned about that.

Club have been planning for FFP for a long time, we're set to get a massive increase in earnings, theres a post here about it. I can't find the other one they did on FFP but its pretty interesting reading, its a good site even if I don't read it that much. The club were officially FFP compliant though and aren't expecting any issues with it in the future as it stands.
Fair enough.

Fwiw I think he's just too expensive for Chelsea to consider especially if they can't offer him first team football every week.

K1LLER7

Have there been any articles looking at what kind of transfers van Gaal usually makes? Seems like there's a lot of stuff on his methods and how he promotes young players but the amount that'll need to be bought at United make the transfer side of his management pretty important.
Bayern Gaf mentioned he made some bad moves if I remember correctly. Apparently he didn't want to sign Neuer as the GK.

Fair enough.

Fwiw I think he's just too expensive for Chelsea to consider especially if they can't offer him first team football every week.

Well with Cole gone... he would be number 1 at left back. Azpili will go back to rb sooner or later, I'm not sure how long Ivanovic will be there for, at least not as first choice right back.

is Lampard getting an extension or is this the year he finally moves on?

I would guess he will get another year. Wants a coaching role afaik. Dunno if he'll get it though.

If it gets a 7-7.5 i can deal

Cant imagine it will get great reviews, there is an air on gaf where people seem to want it to fail for some reason.

I hope its good but very tempted to cancel my pre-order... would rather play Wolfenstein and Super Time Force than Watch Dogs at the moment, I just can't get excited for it which is a shame really.

Clegg

Maybe Cole leaving will change things and Chelsea will go back in for Shaw.

But right now it looks like he's United bound and Chelsea are looking elsewhere. And tbh it's likely that Chelsea would've known for a while that they weren't going to offer Cole a new contract. Back then was the time to approach Shaw if they really wanted him. But it appears that they didn't. Unless this is just a very recent development then idk.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'm in it for the meltdowns over numbers.

Its one of those games im extremely glad im not hyped for, all it is to me is another open world sandbox i can spend a hundred hours doing silly things in. So long as its not game breakingly terrible I can find some value in it for sub £30. I was listening to the first for gamers podcast and John Davidson made a very good point, first year next gen games are next gen in coating, it takes 2-3 years to get the next gen gameplay, anyone who is expecting miracles from a first year open world game is gonna have their hearts broken.

Mr Cola

Cleverly could very well thrive under LvG, he was not always bad and unproductive, the ones who im interested in is Young and Valencia, they dont appear to have any of the qualities LvG would enjoy working with.

Chipotle

He buys players who will fit his system, theoretically he could take a look at what we have and make the system work, not fucking likely but its possible. He doesnt give a rats ass about who is who so long as they do their job, this makes it kinda hard to tell who he wants to bring it till he knows who doesnt fit.

Maybe he'll be successful at converting Rooney to a CM. Would solve so many problems if successful. It's what I used to do in FM too so I'd like the vindication (I also used to buy Fellaini though so...)

Bayern Gaf mentioned he made some bad moves if I remember correctly. Apparently he didn't want to sign Neuer as the GK.
Was that the same time we were interested in him? Seems mad if so. Was clear how good he'd be.

Derp1na

Banned
Cleverly could very well thrive under LvG, he was not always bad and unproductive, the ones who im interested in is Young and Valencia, they dont appear to have any of the qualities LvG would enjoy working with.

And what are these qualities that Tom "0 outstanding attributes" Cleverley has?

He's a nothing footballer. I don't know where this notion that van Gaal is going to transform him into a good footballer has come from. I've seen it all over the place. He's going to be 25 by the start of the season. He's not a kid. His career at United is over, or at least it should be. If he gets a new contract before LvG has had a good chance to assess how shit he is, it'll be a farce.

Pennywise

Bayern GAF is rather shortsighted though.
Van Gaal had to clean up the mess that Klinsmann left, with alot of shitty players and nearly noone in that club was willed to spend money for players like Martinez.
And he had Nerlinger with him, who tried to imitate Hoeness (not the tax stuff, but talking bullshit...).
Allthough Hoeness always talked alot of shit, he had a damn plan and Nerlinger had no fucking clue what to do.
He bought shitty players and Van Gaal had to integrate them.

He formed some talents to outstanding players, like Müller or Badstuber.

gTbuyd1.jpg

Elchele

Van Gaal had to clean up the mess that Klinsmann left, with alot of shitty players and nearly noone in that club was willed to spend money for players like Martinez.
And he had Nerlinger with him, who tried to imitate Hoeness (not the tax stuff, but talking bullshit...).
Allthough Hoeness always talked alot of shit, he had a damn plan and Nerlinger had no fucking clue what to do.

Pls. Robben and Luiz Gustavo were the board/Hoeness signings during the LvG era. Both were great signings. LvG on his own signed a bunch of nobodies from Eredivise: Pranjic, Braafheid (wtf really), and surely I'm forgetting someone

bud

imagine if word got out that ronaldo has a four inch dick.

his image would be in shambles. his sponsor contracts would end abruptly.

it would break my heart.

Pennywise

Pls. Robben and Luiz Gustavo were the board/Hoeness signings during the LvG era. Both were great signings. LvG on his own signed a bunch of nobodies from Eredivise: Pranjic, Braafheid (wtf really), and surely I'm forgetting someone
Do you really think that LvG would have said No to Robben ?
The problem with Bayern and LvG always was communication, they were all doing their own stuff instead of working together to sign players.

He helped to install a solid fundament though, and it's not like Heynckes was doing better immediatly.
Bayern had to spend alot of money to get ahead of Dortmund, he wouldn't have achieved this without sending trucks of money to Bilbao.

Elchele

Do you really think that LvG would have said No to Robben ?
The problem with Bayern and LvG always was communication, they were all doing their own stuff instead of working together to sign players.

He helped to install a solid fundament though, and it's not like Heynckes was doing better immediatly.
Bayern had to spend alot of money to get ahead of Dortmund, he wouldn't have achieved this without sending trucks of money to Bilbao.

Of course LvG accepted the Robben transfer, maybe he even convinced him to join. But my point is: we were interested in Robben before LvG came, so it was a Board/Hoeness transfer. LvG's transfers were Braafheid and Pranjic, and the promotion of Contento, Alaba and Ekici (Badstuber and Mueller were already part of the first team squad).

I'm not taking anything away from LvG, what he achieved with the squad we had in 09/10 is amazing.

Heynckes sorted out the defense in his first season, and it was very notorious improvement. LvG blocked a lot of transfer, and for some reason kept playing with DvB and Demichelis in a super high defensive line, despite getting an abnormal number of goals against. He forced van Bommel, Luca Toni, etc out and didn't sign adequate replacements.

You don't remember the second season?

Ottl-Pranjic holding midfield. Altintop as RW/LW and Tymo as CB.

Cleverley has 12 months left on his contract. He really doesn't have long to prove that he's good enough to say, and he isn't.

Pennywise

Of course LvG accepted the Robben transfer, maybe he even convinced him to join. But my point is: we were interested in Robben before LvG came, so it was a Board/Hoeness transfer. LvG's transfers were Braafheid and Pranjic, and the promotion of Contento, Alaba and Ekici (Badstuber and Mueller were already part of the first team squad).

I'm not taking anything away from LvG, what he achieved with the squad we had in 09/10 is amazing.

Heynckes sorted out the defense in his first season, and it was very notorious improvement. LvG blocked a lot of transfer, and for some reason kept playing with DvB and Demichelis in a super high defensive line, despite getting an abnormal number of goals against. He forced van Bommel, Luca Toni, etc out and didn't sign adequate replacements.

Of course I do.
As I said, he had his fair share of blame.
And his attitude just wasn't working with Hoeness, but he was also to blame.
I doubt he was grateful for players like Altintop or Ottl and would rather taken someone like Martinez for the bench...
What I was trying to say, he would have been able to get them back on track with the right amount of money and some communication between the manager and him.

It didn't work out, because Dortmund was getting ahead and Bayern got nervous.
That clearly influenced the disaster as well.
And the scouting from Bayern was kinda shitty over the last years, if you compare it with Dortmund were they saw the potential with Shinjiru and Lewandowski, renember who the Bayern scouts found.
Breno,Sousa and alot of other bad players....

Koko

Banned
Italia-GAF: has Ljajic been good for Roma this season?

He was behind Gervinho for most of the season .He finished with 6 goals and 5 assist which is not that bad considering that he mostly started from the bench. He is clearly talented and he still young (22), it will be interesting to see if he gets more time next season.

wedward

Are Man City really going to pay a 31 year old fullback they are planning to use as a backup 140k a week?

If true that is insane. Arsenal wouldn't go over 90k. Someone must have offered him over 100 causing City to jump to 140.

Ozil makes 140. lol.

jtb

Banned
Are Man City really going to pay a 31 year old fullback they are planning to use as a backup 140k a week?

If true that is insane. Arsenal wouldn't go over 90k. Someone must have offered him over 100 causing City to jump to 140.

Ozil makes 140. lol.

Monaco probably. dat tax haven

I would say never say never with Cleverley. He's only 24 and he could still be decent.

Hell, Ramsey and Welbeck only started to blossom last season. Not that I care if Cleverley fucks off to Everton though, but I won't rule him out as the shittiest of shit just yet.

That's reserved for Young.

fuenf

Dear UnitedGAF let me clear up the confusion between LVG and BayernGAF.

That's correct. LVG didnt rate spending 27m Euros on a goalkeeper and thought that Kraft given time and training (under him an Hoek) would be just as good. What he didnt see was that Bayern desperately needed stability in goal, that Neuer was on his way to become the best GK in the world and that 27m didnt really matter for Bayern. He basically still had a small club mentality combined with an oversized ego ('I can do it without buying the stars, my training is so good I can make a star out of almost anyone').

To prove his point he installed Kraft during the second half of the season as first choice gk despite knowing that Bayern was willing to go foward with the Neuer deal and most likely already had secured his signature. What ensued was madness... Kraft cost us multiple games and the Ultra fans actively campaigned against Neuer (they would have done that anyway but LVG moves pushed their actions to a whole new level).

Ultimately his unwillingness to buy Neuer cost him the job and nearly tore the club and fanbase apart.

Actually Lucio was the first player Van Gaal forced out and remember what an important part he played for Inter during their CL campaign? The reason Lucio had to go pretty much boiled down tobeing tactically undisciplined and being right footed, because LVG wanted a left footed and a right footed CB. LVG has the tendency to find diamonds in the rough but he also overrates homegrown talent and his coaching skills massively. Robben was more a less a panic buy after Bayern started the 2009710 Bundesliga season with 2 draws and a loss.

Of course I do.
As I said, he had his fair share of blame.
And his attitude just wasn't working with Hoeness, but he was also to blame.
I doubt he was grateful for players like Altintop or Ottl and would rather taken someone like Martinez for the bench...
What I was trying to say, he would have been able to get them back on track with the right amount of money and some communication between the manager and him.

It didn't work out, because Dortmund was getting ahead and Bayern got nervous.
That clearly influenced the disaster as well.
And the scouting from Bayern was kinda shitty over the last years, if you compare it with Dortmund were they saw the potential with Shinjiru and Lewandowski, renember who the Bayern scouts found.
Breno,Sousa and alot of other bad players....

LVG would've never spent 40m on a guy like Martinez. He's far too convinced that he can make any player better and doesnt like to spend big on "non-skill" positions. That said there's the possiblity that he has changed. 5 years ago no Bayern fand would've wanted Heynckes, we even protested when Uli replaced Klinsmann with him. No one expected an old horse like him to learn a bunch of new tricks. I could see the same happen with LVG, LVG didnt really adjust from Alkmaar to Bayern. He didnt realize the amount of money he had at his hands and how important strengthening your squad through transfers is.

However, he was great at teaching the fundamentals, laying the groundwork for Bayern ball-control approach and his dictator style disciplinarian measures were something the squad desperately needed after Klinsmann.

Guiding Bayern to the CL final in his first season was a massive achievement but also a fluke. Please remember, especially you UnitedGAF, how many times Bayern were on the verge of crashing out and only saved by an absolute stunner from Robben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom