• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out that when Opta do the stats a "chance created" is when you pass the ball to someone and they shoot.

Ignoring that stat for ever more.

Bi of a shame since that could a stat that actually means something if they tightened up the criteria, but there'd have to be so many criteria it would become a bit pointless and too complicated to bother with

Football Weekly Extra was funny, and not in a good way when. For the last cople of months they've said Suarez is easily PotY, then suddenly Man City overtake us and Toure is easily PotY, Suarez's lack of goals against the top 4 are suddenly a massive black mark against him where they weren't before, and he's only been voted PotY because of the nonsensical 'redemption' narrative.

Beginning to see why Arnie hates Glendenning.

And can someone explain why the mention of net spend is looked at with such scorn? I understand that Liverpool fans go on about it too much in our attempts to convince everyone else that we're paupers unable to buy without selling, but it's not a completely invalid point to mention it relative to gross spend.

L1NETT

Just found out that when Opta do the stats a "chance created" is when you pass the ball to someone and they shoot.

I think ignoring more stats is a useful path to follow

Never got the fascination with getting a pipe on for stats. Can use them to prove anything.

sohois

The Times are saying Poyet could go to West Ham at the end of the season, that he's got a break clause in his contract and can walk away anytime before May 31st.

I don't particularly see West Ham as a better option than Sunderland; take away the Di Canio games and West Ham and Sunderland would probably be on the same points. Not to mention that West Ham are lumbered with expensive players distinctly suited to Allardyce's style, whilst Sunderland have more freedom.

The Times are saying Poyet could go to West Ham at the end of the season, that he's got a break clause in his contract and can walk away anytime before May 31st.

oshealolk4emj.gif

Hixx

I don't particularly see West Ham as a better option than Sunderland; take away the Di Canio games and West Ham and Sunderland would probably be on the same points. Not to mention that West Ham are lumbered with expensive players distinctly suited to Allardyce's style, whilst Sunderland have more freedom.

If we win this weekend and they lose we go above them.

Bi of a shame since that could a stat that actually means something if they tightened up the criteria, but there'd have to be so many criteria it would become a bit pointless and too complicated to bother with

Football Weekly Extra was funny, and not in a good way when. For the last cople of months they've said Suarez is easily PotY, then suddenly Man City overtake us and Toure is easily PotY, Suarez's lack of goals against the top 4 are suddenly a massive black mark against him where they weren't before, and he's only been voted PotY because of the nonsensical 'redemption' narrative.

And can someone explain why the mention of net spend is looked at with such scorn? I understand that Liverpool fans go on about it too much in our attempts to convince everyone else that we're paupers unable to buy without selling, but it's not a completely invalid point to mention it relative to gross spend.
A few years ago when Liverpool's net spend was higher than ours, in fact it might still be - Liverpool fans said the same :p

As ever truth lies somewhere in between. Net spend means something but at the same time a team like Norwich might have the same net spend as United but they're dealing in a very different quality of player. Selling and buying for £5m each is not the same as selling and buying at £20m. Spurs for example had a negative net spend in the summer, but that isn't quite reflective of the business they were able to do. Either way Liverpool have obv punched above their weight in the title race. Wage bill always get forgotten in all of this, as if not more important than transfer fees.

I don't listen to Football Weekly anymore cos it got boring and tedious (and we're crap). Sounds like they're right about the redemption thing though, it's utter bollocks.

Edit - Oh wait, they said that's why he won it. Well yes that's obviously not correct.

I think ignoring more stats is a useful path to follow

Never got the fascination with getting a pipe on for stats. Can use them to prove anything.
Agree - some can be useful, but yeah when you find out that a stat that gets banded out so often like that is collected in such a shabby way...nah.

forget about shots on goal or goals the only stat that matters is POSSESSION, we all know possession is 9 tenths of the law and the only way you win at football

Should check out that food thread about Britain. Fucking hell there is some nobheads in there.

Maybe I'm unfairly thinking the worst of people in there, but I just don't believe that you could eat at 7 different supposedly decent restaurants over here, and not find one enjoyable meal

FWIW re:- Suarez's goalscoring, Miguel Delaney has done a good breakdown of it.

Only Jimmy Greaves has trumped him since 1955, having scored 41 goals in 40 games at Chelsea in 1960-61. That is just another target for Suarez to aim for on the final day of the season against Newcastle United.

He is just the second player after Andy Cole to reach 30 goals without scoring a single spot kick since the Premier League was founded in 1992-93. The former Newcastle striker, however, did it in eight more matches. All of the other five during that time -- Alan Shearer, Kevin Phillips, Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo and Robin van Persie -- took penalties.

he hits far more shots than any other Premier League player. The Uruguayan attempts 5.6 per game, which is exactly two more than the next closest, Man City's Sergio Aguero.

As many as 47 percent of his 31 tallies have come in matches against sides currently in the Premier League bottom four.

Suarez's strikes have been directly responsible for just 12 points this season. Compare that to Shearer's 29 in 1993-94, van Persie's 27 in 2011-12, Cole's 25 in 1993-94, Ronaldo's 23 in 2007-08 and Phillips' 17 in 1999-2000.

FWIW re:- Suarez's goalscoring, Miguel Delaney has done a good breakdown of it.

That fourth one is pretty damning tbf :p

That last one though, I'd need to know what formula he is using to get those numbers. Like, if Suarez scores the first in a 2-0 win, does he not count that as gaining us 2 points on the assumption that we'd have won 1-0 without his goal?

That fourth one is pretty damning tbf :p

That last one though, I'd need to know what formula he is using to get those numbers. Like, if Suarez scores the first in a 2-0 win, does he not count that as gaining us 2 points on the assumption that we'd have won 1-0 without his goal?

Pretty sure it's the "winning goal" that counts.

So the first goal in a 5-0 win counts, if he scored the latter 4, they don't.

Another imperfect stat I guess but with RVP last season for example, his impact was clear. Won us a 1/3 of out points almost, mental.

pulga

Banned
that Obama thread in the OT

is N. Korean state-run media done by a FootyGaffer? We do have a certain predilection for finding creative ways to call each other a variety of apes

#todossomosmacacos

Pretty sure it's the "winning goal" that counts.

So the first goal in a 5-0 win counts, if he scored the latter 4, they don't.

Another imperfect stat I guess but with RVP last season for example, his impact was clear. Won us a 1/3 of out points almost, mental.

Yeah. At the end of the day though, Suarez has been putting in 8 or 9/10 performances pretty much every week between September and April, even when he wasn't scoring and aside from the goals. Brushing off an entire season nearly of exceptional performances, exceptional goals and an exceptional record as hype based on a narrative and a month of poor form (when he's still scored every other game I think) is incredibly lazy and shows a massive lack of perspective of looking at the season as a whole.

pulga

Banned
Yeah. At the end of the day though, Suarez has been putting in 8 or 9/10 performances pretty much every week between September and April, even when he wasn't scoring and aside from the goals. Brushing off an entire season nearly of exceptional performances, exceptional goals and an exceptional record as hype based on a narrative and a month of poor form (when he's still scored every other game I think) is incredibly lazy and shows a massive lack of perspective of looking at the season as a whole.

he's been really shite the last month

let's say 50m and be done with this nasty piece of business

It's because in football, and all sport guess, people only remember what you win.

If Liverpool win this title Suarez's season will be remembered as one of the greats. If they don't - honestly think it could be forgotten fairly quickly. That's why this surge for Yaya Toure is coming out of nowhere now. Because City haven't been leading the title race his form hasn't been mapped to the story of the season. Now it's convenient to do that.

He's clearly POTY, There's no doubt.

he's been really shite the last month

let's say 50m and be done with this nasty piece of business

I was gonna ask earlier, how will you line up when you get Rakitic?

-----------Illaramendi-----------------------
--------------------------Modric--------------

----------------Rakitic-----------------------

---Bale---------------------------------------
------------------------------Ronaldo-------

----------------Benz-------------------------

Is that about right? I've only seen him play 4 or so times, but he seems too attack-minded to play alongside Modric in a midfield 2, and Modric is far too good to be replaced by him. Also, that relies on Illaramendi improving massively, or Khedira coming back from his injury better than he was before he got it imo. Alonso seems to be a bit reckless these days in that role, think he, Modric and Rakitic would need a more defensively sound player alongside them if they were to play in that 2 in front of the defense

Though it worked brilliantly against Munich, so I'm probably underrating Modric and Alonso's defensive capabilitites :p

What are you guys watching tonight?

Final games should be on Saturday, 3pm. That's when most of them are on for the rest of the season. Surely they could overlook the TV rules just for that one day.

Salazar

I should get one of these. Guitar shops have them, right?

There's a decent film, La Tourneuse de Pages. Girl gets revenge on a pianist who foiled her career by inveigling her way into her household, filling her head with lesbian longings, and surreptitiously destroying her son's fingers by over-training him on the piano.

Mad French fuckers. Utterly mad.

LTWheels

Our 'massive' net spend is a bit of a misnomer.

Something like £40-50million of it is actually a loan from FSG to pay off a debt created by the previous owners regarding their new stadium plans. Since FSG own Liverpool when it comes to FFP, I believe they can just write it off, or turn it to equity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom