• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

I don't understand why some of you keep mentioning Cavani. I don't see him leaving PSG, especially so when they probably want him to take over after Ibra. Yes he is unhappy because he doesn't play in his natural position and isn't doing as well, probably feels he is wasting his time and if PSG would want to sell him for this reason we'd have to pay a big fee, a large chunk of our transfer money would have to go to Cavani alone. Are we willing to pay that fee?

Just joking.

Welp, didn't mean to upset anyone - I believe I made fair points and trolled Meus a bit, not sure why the rest of you got your knickers in a twist.

But I will focus on my own club.

---

Now that LvG has been announced I hope we move forwards and make the signings we need. Of course we won't get all the players we want as first choice but if things go really well I would like to see us start next season with something like:

De Gea

Rafael Jones Garay Shaw

Fabregas Kroos Mata

Januzaj RVP Rooney

I believe that should the clubs be willing to sell, we can get those players well within budget, about £120m worth of spending. I guess we will sell a few players also, hopefully raise something like £15m and if the Glazers are up for it we can try to get some Dutch kids.

Indi and Clasie would be good. Sorry Bacon!

Does Kroos play the deepest of the mids? No protection.

Salvadora

Anyway, fully expect Cesc to remain at Barcelona this summer.

New manager, transfer ban looming, surrounded by mates and family, and is born and bred Catalan/Barcelona.

Lightning

Banned
It's more than that, I believe it was 35-40m. Barca won't give a buy back amount that's less than they paid.

Barca owe us like 15-20m though for past transfers. So lol on them.

How would you have any way of knowing what it is?

Barca probably did not expect to be selling him so soon.

Why would Arsenal agree to a buyback clause that is higher than what they sold him for?

No clue. Hope so.
Because if it's 25m take Cesc off the list he'll never be sold. Ever.

Lightning

Banned
Anyway, fully expect Cesc to remain at Barcelona this summer.

New manager, transfer ban looming, surrounded by mates and family, and is born and bred Catalan/Barcelona.
Cesc won't leave Barca this season it's a wind up. Would rather Sanchez anyway.

----------Szczesny--------------
Aurier, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs
--------Bender, Ramsey----------
------------Ozil----------------
----Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez----

Bench - McCarthy, Jenkinson, Monreal, Vermaelen, Arteta, Chamberlain, Wilshere, Podolski, Remy, Cazorla and Rosciky

I'd be happy with that.

Jarnet87

a midfield with fabregas, mata and kroos will only work in fifa.

Against the top sides probably not, but against a bunch of bottom and mid table clubs it could easily work. Especially since were going to attack and dominate possession, instead of Moyesing it and letting mediocre sides walk all over us. It's going to be a nice change actually pressing up the pitch and not sitting so deep.

pappe

Cesc is not leaving Barca guys. Not after the shenanigans they went through to sign him. They will keep him and Cesc will stay just for pride if nothing else.

Scum

It isn't ideal but I don't know who we can buy for that position. Rooney is a good player and I don't see LvG freezing him out for no reason. I think he will get a chance to play there and he has played in that role before and done well.

Obviously tactical quirks and things like that, we will see. But I think that's where he'll shape up early doors.
There's always Pedro or Alexis.

Rooney or RVP up top.
Adnan on the right, Mata/Kagawa behind the ST, Pedro/Alexis on the left.
One out of Rakitic/Cesc/Pjanic in the middle with Schneiderlin.

wedward

Gahl usually plays and prefers (depending on personnel) a forward triangle of three mids, rather than the reverse triangle you're suggesting.

Makes sense. Fabregas and Kroos I would assume.

Because if it's 25m take Cesc off the list he'll never be sold. Ever.

No, because they might hope that Arsenal wouldn't want him.

Say United bid 40 and Barca accept it. They would hope Arsenal don't want him and they can then sell to United. Even if they sell we get 50% of the profits so it wouldn't be in their best interest to sell, but I think they have given up on the idea of him working in their system and would prefer to bring in a replacement.

Jarnet87

sooo uhhh

Diego Costa is flying to Belgrade to get horse placenta treatment to force his way to the final

wat

You should be happy about this. All it means is he'll get the start only to be subbed out 15 minutes later. Real and Barca already paid him to throw this entire month.

Clegg

Is this really an attempt to get better terms on a contract? The word coming from journalists close to Barcelona is that the club will sell if a good enough offer comes in.

Anyway he isn't really what we need either. Would be a fabulous signing but doesn't address the problems we have in midfield.

Is this really an attempt to get better terms on a contract? The word coming from journalists close to Barcelona is that the club will sell if a good enough offer comes in.

Anyway he isn't really what we need either. Would be a fabulous signing but doesn't address the problems we have in midfield.
Agree - it's not coming from him. May well stay but don't see it as angling for a contract.

And he isn't what we need? I'd say he ticks a number of the many boxes.

Who can? They'll never find a like-for-like replacement for Xavi, the system will need to be adjusted, and Fabregas moved to them as a brilliant pass&move CM
Thiago could have if they nurtured his game a bit. At the moment, next best bet would be Koke from the players I've seen.

Fabregas really isn't a precise and pensive playmaker type. He is a far more dynamic player and all rounded player who likes to impact the game more quickly. I don't know if Barcelona under Enrique will want to maintain that same style and give the player in the central of midfield the same role - but if they do, Fabregas isn't the guy for the job.

avaya

This is how the summer will go down, yet again for Arsenal.

We will not sign anyone major till we have achieved qualification for the group stages of the CL.

This means no signings till late August.

Player valuations through the roof at the WC and Arsene will not pay more than 100k for someone out of some batshit insane principle/ego.

We will be fighting for the scraps and bargain basement deals at the tail end, with little room to manoeuvre. This is how our manager always fucks up a transfer window. The fantasy idea of signing players prior to the last 2 weeks of August are amusing, it's like some of you have the memory of goldfish.

Salvadora

Clegg, it's entirely possible that it's a tactic used by the club if they're in a stand-off position.

Just something I hadn't seen considered.

We will be fighting for the scraps and bargain basement deals at the tail end, with little room to manoeuvre. This is how our manager always fucks up a transfer window. The fantasy idea of signing players prior to the last 2 weeks of August are amusing, it's like some of you have the memory of goldfish.
Recently, we've signed Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla earlier than that if I'm not mistaken.

I think he would be near-perfect for us. As in I can only think of maybe Vidal or non-crocked Gundogan as more ideal than him.

wedward

Kroos Mata Fabregas midfield would get killed against big teams.

Mata doesn't know how to defend.

Fabregas won't

Kroos will try.

avaya

Clegg, it's entirely possible that it's a tactic used by the club if they're in a stand-off position.

Just something I hadn't seen considered.

Recently, we've signed Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla earlier than that if I'm not mistaken.

Podolski was August, Giroud June. Neither were big fees. Cazorla was August, of course Ozil was picked up in August, but it is clear we were the only ones interested in him hence the reason we got him.

Signing a proper striker + holding midfield like a Cavani or Bender will command GBP25m+ fees and the manager will never pay more than what he thinks the player is worth which in a world cup year....good luck with that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yurt, pls. You haven't upset anyone. I- wait a min. Rooney as AML?! Fucking hell! Onto the list you go.
tumblr_m7dd6hq7I51r4u3geo1_500.gif

(that was for L1NNET)

Salvadora

Podolski was August, Giroud June. Neither were big fees. Cazorla was August, of course Ozil was picked up in August, but it is clear we were the only ones interested in him hence the reason we got him.

Signing a proper striker + holding midfield like a Cavani or Bender will command GBP25m+ fees and the manager will never pay more than what he thinks the player is worth which in a world cup year....good luck with that.
Podolski was officially announced on 30th of April.

Cazorla was announced on the 7th of August, so not the final two weeks either.

If we go for someone like Aurier this summer, then that's probably not going to be left late either. Yeah, the World Cup will delay things if we're going for players participating, but that's true for all clubs.

Clegg

Agree - it's not coming from him. May well stay but don't see it as angling for a contract.

And he isn't what we need? I'd say he ticks a number of the many boxes.

Thiago could have if they nurtured his game a bit. At the moment, next best bet would be Koke from the players I've seen.

Fabregas really isn't a precise and pensive playmaker type. He is a far more dynamic player and all rounded player who likes to impact the game more quickly. I don't know if Barcelona under Enrique will want to maintain that same style and give the player in the central of midfield the same role - but if they do, Fabregas isn't the guy for the job.

I think he would be near-perfect for us. As in I can only think of maybe Vidal or non-crocked Gundogan as more ideal than him.
The two biggest problems United has in midfield is the lack of control, the lack of players that can ably defend, and goals. Fabregas would help with the latter, but I'm not so sure he can do the former.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go nuts if we signed him. He's a genuinely class player and would improve the team. But the way I see it, he wouldn't address the main concerns of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom