• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

The two biggest problems United has in midfield is the lack of control, the lack of players that can ably defend, and goals. Fabregas would help with the latter, but I'm not so sure he can do the former.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go nuts if we signed him. He's a genuinely class player and would improve the team. But the way I see it, he wouldn't address the main concerns of the team.

Mata behind the striker with a pairing of Kroos and a DM seems like the best option. Or Cesc behind the striker but that moves Mata out wide.

The two biggest problems United has in midfield is the lack of control, the lack of players that can ably defend, and goals. Fabregas would help with the latter, but I'm not so sure he can do the former.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go nuts if we signed him. He's a genuinely class player and would improve the team. But the way I see it, he wouldn't address the main concerns of the team.

I would say that he sorts 2 out of the 3 problems you cite.

However, under an entirely new system I think the ability to control is even more important and doing so increases the teams defensive capability with it.

Anyways the main problem with our mids is they can't even build an attack quickly. If we posed more of a constant attacking threat then that also represents defending through attack.

There are many problems with our midfield but IMO it can all be summed up as "pedestrian".

We take too long to win the ball back or to press and we take too long to move it about and create chances.

Someone like Fabregas brings that energy and speed to the midfield. I think somebody like him would approve us across the board. He can do a bit of everything, a genuine box to box player IMO.

Somebody like Kroos, although he would improve us loads, is less suited I think. As good as he is he also plays at a relatively slow speed. However, it seems that may be what LvG prefers.

Clegg

I would say that he sorts 2 out of the 3 problems you cite.

However, under an entirely new system I think the ability to control is even more important and doing so increases the teams defensive capability with it.

Anyways the main problem with our mids is they can't even build an attack quickly. If we posed more of a constant attacking threat then that also represents defending through attack.

There are many problems with our midfield but IMO it can all be summed up as "pedestrian".

We take too long to win the ball back or to press and we take too long to move it about and create chances.

Someone like Fabregas brings that energy and speed to the midfield. I think somebody like him would approve us across the board. He can do a bit of everything, a genuine box to box player IMO.

Somebody like Kroos, although he would improve us loads, is less suited I think. As good as he is he also plays at a relatively slow speed. However, it seems that may be what LvG prefers.
I suppose as an overall package he could transform the way United's midfield is set up whereby the strengths mask the weaknesses. Right now we don't even have strengths in that area. Just a black hole of perpetual mediocrity.

I still think the player who would've aided our midfield most was allowed to move to Rome last summer whilst we did nothing. That one annoys me the most.

Pachimari

4 days till the Champions League final, and it's the most important and will be the most emotional match I will have ever watched in my entire life. It'll go down in my memory book, and no matter if we win or lose, I'll cry. Cry like a man-baby.

I suppose as an overall package he could transform the way United's midfield is set up whereby the strengths mask the weaknesses. Right now we don't even have strengths in that area. Just a black hole of perpetual mediocrity.

I still think the player who would've aided our midfield most was allowed to move to Rome last summer whilst we did nothing. That one annoys me the most.

Perhaps but I think we have a real problem (not just in central midfield) in that a lot of our players lack mobility and drive.

Strootman is not the most mobile so wouldn't be at the top of my list. Would still have him though.

Suen

yep. this is 'just' a forum.
They should introduce Tiki Taka and Pep badges in CL.

4 days till the Champions League final, and it's the most important and will be the most emotional match I will have ever watched in my entire life. It'll go down in my memory book, and no matter if we win or lose, I'll cry. Cry like a man-baby.
If we lose I suggest mods to ban Madrid-GAF for ten years, one year for each CL we've won + the one we should have won

Mumei listen to my words, they are enhanced by the sun.

wedward

Cesc and Kroos have 0 pace between them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
2014%2f5%2fEuro-XI.jpg

Clegg

Perhaps but I think we have a real problem (not just in central midfield) in that a lot of our players lack mobility and drive.

Strootman is not the most mobile so wouldn't be at the top of my list. Would still have him though.
Tbf there aren't many midfielders who could do every single thing we need fixed in midfield. It's a job we need two v good players to do. In terms of mobility none of the midfielders we're linked with really have any. But if they're solid in defence and can shift the ball quickly then they'll be fine.

The Strootman deal annoys me because he went for a relatively modest fee and started playing brilliantly for Roma almost immediately. Of course there's no guarantee he would've done the same in England. But for the price he went for it was more than worth a gamble.

Tbf there aren't many midfielders who could do every single thing we need fixed in midfield. It's a job we need two v good players to do. Tywe Strootman deal annoys me because he went for a relatively modest fee and started playing brilliantly for Roma almost immediately. Of course there's no guarantee he would've done the same in England. But for the price he went for it was more than worth a gamble.

Definitely. Would say the same about Thiago too.

Jesus fuck what an appalling summer.

3Sixty

Reckon Poch is staying btw.

Think he wanted reassurances he would have money to spend and obviously a wage hike.

We'll give him both.

wedward

Reckon Poch is staying btw.

Think he wanted reassurances he would have money to spend and obviously a wage hike.

We'll give him both.

Do you think Schneiderlin will be allowed to leave this summer? What do you think a realistic fee for him would be?

Clegg

Definitely. Would say the same about Thiago too.

Jesus fuck what an appalling summer.
Some journo thinks Giggs vetoed the Thiago deal. Not sure I believe that tho.

I can't really hold Moyes fully responsible for last summer. Yeah he dithered and made mistakes in identifying players but apparently the scouting system at United was very patchy and mostly amounted to players Fergie likes. There was no real system in place to easily identify players.

Some journo thinks Giggs vetoed the Thiago deal. Not sure I believe that tho.

I can't really hold Moyes fully responsible for last summer. Yeah he dithered and made mistakes in identifying players but apparently the scouting system at United was very patchy and mostly amounted to players Fergie likes. There was no real system in place to easily identify players.

Who has said that?

I can't see how Giggs would have anywhere close to the required influence to veto a transfer.

Clegg

Who has said that?

I can't see how Giggs would have anywhere close to the required influence to veto a transfer.
Ian McGarry. Is he even a journo tho? He works for the BBC but seems to be more of a radio personality. Says he was told by a reputable source that Moyes had a round table discussion with his coaches last summer and Giggs said Thiago wasn't a United type of player. Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Carbonox

This reminds me - I need to book time off work for E3. Why? cos i is 'ard innit.

srs I don't like taking time off work and so I always end up with more PTO than I need. :lol Might as well use it up for stuff like this.

Ian McGarry. Is he even a journo tho? He works for the BBC but seems to be more of a radio personality. Says he was told by a reputable source that Moyes had a round table discussion with his coaches last summer and Giggs said Thiago wasn't a United type of player. Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Phew.

I was worried it would be someone even semi-reliable.

Ian McGarry is a complete clown. Gets things wrong every week. Ignore.

Suen

the best E3 was the one when a lot of the demos were uploaded to Xbox Live. A shame it only happened that one time
Sony's press conference in E3 2006 was great. Nintendo's conference in E3 2008 was also amazing, especially when they threw in Wii Music at the end as if they hadn't already killed everyone in the audience by then.

Yen

This reminds me - I need to book time off work for E3. Why? cos i is 'ard innit.

srs I don't like taking time off work and so I always end up with more PTO than I need. :lol Might as well use it up for stuff like this.

During E3, I won't be at uni, so I'll be back in the sticks with my 50kb/s internet. Pls

Pls

negative man.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom