• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elchele

Why doesn't Kroos want to sign a new contract? Is it really just money?

You'd think a young German international would want to carry on playing for Bayern, of all teams.

yep, money. Well, he already won everything with Bayern so I can see why he could move on. Also Gotze's salary is an insult to the whole squad.

I still think he will renew in the end, but it is realistic to think that he could leave too in the 15/16 season

DM say Kroos deal has been agreed, £20m.

The story seems like bullshit but I'm gonna carry on and go ahead and believe it.

AND YOURE GONNA LIKE IT PAVLOV, YOURE GONNA LIKE IT

Pennywise

Btw Wilbur, I continued with Boardwalk Empire.
Season 2 and 3 were absolutely awesome.
Currently at episode 6 from season 4 which hasn't been as good as 2&3 yet.

dc89

What do you expect on a system that has 1/12th the RAM that is required to even load the game on the PC?!

Irrespective of its quality, Ubi are so fucking huge that they have to release the game on every platform available to make it worth their time.

Batman look ace though. And I have no doubt that the re-release of TLoU is going to be excellent.

Well I'd expect something akin to GTA V in terms of detail. After all, Ubi went after GTA with their initial marketing. If you're gonna do that, at least make sure your game lives up to the one you're telling people to stop playing.

Tc91

The story seems like bullshit but I'm gonna carry on and go ahead and believe it.

RDMgUqM.jpg

---

Not really hyped about the Doge game, it'll be £5 in a Steam sale soon enough.

£20m for Toni Kroos? I know he's only a year left on his contract but come on, it's got to be at least £30m. Then again, it's probably bullshit and he'll sign a new contract.

Pavlov made some fair points but he didn't really give a balanced perspective. Fair enough since he was trying to balance out the rest of us and it does take a pretty pessimistic SOB to do that.

Although Van Gaal died a quick death at Bayern and Barca, he did win titles with both of them before doing so. You can criticise his combustible style all you like and it's fair and it will almost certainly happen again at United. But you're not really putting your head above the sand if you're ignoring the honours he did win at those clubs.

Finally - the "oh well it would have been harder not to win that talent" point is just a really unthoughtful point to make. It's like the argument that Guardiola had it easy at Barcelona.

Anyway - I think the main source for optimism is that the football will likely be alot better than it's been for a long time and after last season that will be a very very welcome change.

I probably won't make another serious post for like a week now Pavlov but do feel free to respond to the points I have made here.

Wilbur

Banned
20m for Kroos would be amazing. Dat Woodward.

Evilore received a 10m offer for NeoGAF. what the.

What am I doing woth my life? lol

I'd sell the second I saw those zeroes lol

Btw Wilbur, I continued with Boardwalk Empire.
Season 2 and 3 were absolutely awesome.
Currently at episode 6 from season 4 which hasn't been as good as 2&3 yet.

Good lad. I think I enjoyed 4 more than 3 overall, it really starts coming to a head in the last few episodes. Love the emphasis on Chalky. Nucky's always been one of the least interesting characters despite my love for Buscemi.

Yen

Reading an old interview with Brendan:

“People will jump on us whenever we make a mistake. We had it against Manchester United. Angel Rangel had the ball at his feet and the commentary after the game is that he’s got to kick it into row Z.

"He had time on the ball, why would he smash it up the pitch? He just made a mistake. We need to give our players confidence in their ability. To play this way you can have no fear. The players respect that if there are any goals conceded through playing football I take the blame.

-

“Here’s another example. We were 2-0 up away at Wolves with six minutes to go but we failed to manage the pressure. We stopped playing it out from the back. We kicked the ball long and they got it and just smashed straight back into our box. Eventually we drew 2-2 and the players were devastated.

"I told them we needed to learn the six-minute game.

“The following week we worked on managing the pressure. But with the ball. Low and behold the next game we are at Bolton. We are 2-0 up. With 17 minutes to go they go 2-1. You could sense the nerves in the crowd.

"How were we going to deal with it? For 10 minutes Bolton did not get a kick of the ball and, eventually, we got the goal to win 3-1.

"Afterwards in the dressing room it was fantastic — that was how to manage pressure. When they had the momentum we sucked the life out of them.

“Our idea is to pass teams to a standstill so they can no longer come after you. Eventually you wear them down. We did that against one of the greatest teams in Tottenham. We did it against Manchester United in the second half. In the first half we were playing the history.

King_Moc

Banned
Can't help but be bewildered at how much faith fellow united fans are putting into Van Gaal. It's more understandable than when they did it with Moyes I guess...

The main thing his backers say is how he won the CL with Ajax once in the mid 90s. Well done and not something to dismiss but at the same time this was when only champions could qualify and foreigners were limited. That young Ajax side was of such golden generation proportions that even now casual fans could name most of the team. For me it'd take a bad manager to stop that side winning rather than the other way round.

His record in the CL has been abysmal since then. Group stage exits with Rivaldo/Figo era Barca, His Bayern did make it to the final once but that was very much down to luck as United fans will remember (United greatly outplayed Bayern but Rooney getting injured and Rafael getting sent off enabled them to sneak it on away goals).

Then there's AZ. HE WON THE DUTCH LEAGUE WITH AZ. Then Steve McLaren won it with FC Twente! :dream team:

Most of the football world has been in agreement the last 15 years not to rate too highly what's achieved in the eredivisie because Suarez apart, they're almost never the same when we bring the players/coaches over to England.

Before AZ he managed Holland and somehow finished 3rd in the WC quali group behind Ireland, not even making the playoffs.

But despite all this carry on (and you certainly will) posting your Van Gaal gifs and serenades to his football "philosophy"

The parades of 2010 seem to be the most popular source of images. Notice how if these images were in book form, you'd turn a few pages and see Klopp's Dortmund smashing his Bayern to pieces and getting him the sack?

That's the reality I'm afraid, and most of you would do well to join me in it.

/United fan whose head is above sand

Yeah, that's what i think. He'll be better than Moyes, but if they get back up there quickly, it'll be mainly down to the money. I also think there's a decent chance the players could react badly to a guy like Van Gaal, but then his temperament may be similar enough to Fergie's that they're ok with him. Too many variables, we'll just have to wait.

Personally, I hope they implode spectacularly.

Wilbur

Banned
Agreed Viva, and sorry to Pavlov if I came across overly combative. I understand where you're coming from, but he's a proven winner, there's players around the world that can't praise his coaching ability enough, we'll be easier on the eye than last season and the press conferences will be fucking jokes. That's enough for me.

David Moyes was out in a wine bar near me tonight and just heard a brilliant story about how the night unfolded

Hope it makes the papers

DO TELL

bobito

Banned
yep, money. Well, he already won everything with Bayern so I can see why he could move on. Also Gotze's salary is an insult to the whole squad.

I still think he will renew in the end, but it is realistic to think that he could leave too in the 15/16 season

What is gotze on?

King_Moc

Banned
Does it? Sounds about right. It'll turn out to be a good game but the hype is absurd.

Games have had release day embargo's before and been good. GTAV for instance (not played that yet, but everyone seems to like it).

Watch Dogs has looked alright from videos, i just think that accessing menu's to essentially attack enemies is going to get very tiring. The Dark Souls style invasion multiplayer look reasonably promising though.

Ser Goje

Why doesn't Kroos want to sign a new contract? Is it really just money?

You'd think a young German international would want to carry on playing for Bayern, of all teams.

I'm a Bayern fan, and I'm okay if he doesn't sign. He's a key player and they treat him like crap.

Pennywise

Good lad. I think I enjoyed 4 more than 3 overall, it really starts coming to a head in the last few episodes. Love the emphasis on Chalky. Nucky's always been one of the least interesting characters despite my love for Buscemi.

Richard is my favorite, but overall there are alot of interesting characters like Al or Van Alden.
It's always cringeworthy were his character was taken.

pulga

Banned
he hasnt even been appointed yet and im already fucking sick of van gaal

he's an average manager, get that in your fookin heads

Clegg

The thread about 15 year olds at parties is just weird. Seems like pretty standard stuff but some posters are trying to make it out to be the moralistic decline of an entire generation.

Wilbur

Banned
If you want a succinct and well balanced view of Van Gaal this piece from Gabriel Marcotti is very good. Just goes through the high's and low's of his career.

https://www.espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/14540?cc=5739

Yeah read that yesterday or the day before. Good piece. I think we'll be fine either this season or the season after. Clearly isn't a long term appointment, I'm cool with that. I just want dat CL again.

I'm a Bayern fan, and I'm okay if he doesn't sign. He's a key player and they treat him like crap.

The anti-Elsk

dc89

he hasnt even been appointed yet and im already fucking sick of van gaal

he's an average manager, get that in your fookin heads

I don't know anything about Van Gaal so tell me. Should I be even more grateful to have The Engineer?

Wilbur

Banned
Cuttlefish.

Think about it.

It's been merged with cuttlefish to have the chameleon ability, not so that it looks like a fucking cuttlefish.

It's fiction that's about a theme park where people think bringing dinosaurs back to life is a good idea

I'm okay with it.

Clegg

If van Gaal is a disaster then at least it'll be one that's entertaining for United fans.

We had nothing to grasp onto during the Moyes reign.

Salvadora

It's been merged with cuttlefish to have the chameleon ability, not so that it looks like a fucking cuttlefish.

It's fiction that's about a theme park where people think bringing dinosaurs back to life is a good idea

I'm okay with it.
Tame Dinosaurs.

Think about it.

Scum

Games have had release day embargo's before and been good. GTAV for instance (not played that yet, but everyone seems to like it).

Watch Dogs has looked alright from videos, i just think that accessing menu's to essentially attack enemies is going to get very tiring. The Dark Souls style invasion multiplayer look reasonably promising though.
I just want 7s and a few 8s across the board so that I watch GamingGAF burn. 😈

The thread about 15 year olds at parties is just weird. Seems like pretty standard stuff but some posters are trying to make it out to be the moralistic decline of an entire generation.
Cleff, you should know this by now. Most of them don't venture out much to know what its like.

Wilbur

Banned
Tame Dinosaurs.

Think about it.

why the fuck did hammond think opening a theme park without taming the dinosaurs was a good idea

I'm honestly not seeing where the outrage comes from. It's a science fiction about dinosaurs. I don't know anything about it apart from the fact Chris Pratt is in it . Didn't even know what it was about until five minutes ago :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom