• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
From wiki:

Benteke's 23 goals in 2012–13 led to speculation about his future, and in early July he submitted a transfer request in early July. Villa said he could leave only if their valuation were met, but a fortnight later he withdrew his transfer request, after talks with manager Paul Lambert, and signed a new four-year contract with the club.[29][30] On his second pre-season appearance, he scored a hat-trick against Crewe Alexandra in a 5–1 victory.[31] He finished pre-season with seven goals in five appearances, including two goals against Málaga at Villa Park.[32][33]

On 17 August 2013, Benteke scored twice, once from a penalty and one headed goal via a rebound from a missed penalty, in Aston Villa's 3–1 away-win against Arsenal on the opening day of the 2013–14 Premier League season.[34] Four days later, Benteke scored against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in a 2–1 defeat.[35] He scored his fourth goal in as many games, as Villa comfortably beat League One side Rotherham United 3–0 in the League Cup second round.[36] He continued scoring, as he racked up his fifth goal in all competitions, against Newcastle United in a 1–2 defeat at Villa Park.[37] However his brilliant early season form was abruptly ended, as he was injured in the next match against Norwich City. It was later confirmed that he would be out for up to six weeks with a hip flexor injury.[38] However he made his comeback earlier than expected, after coming on as a substitute against Tottenham Hotspur a month later in a 2–0 defeat.[39]

After loss of form and niggling injuries prevented Benteke scoring for 12 games (his last goal being against Newcastle on 14 September), he eventually ended his drought against Arsenal in a 1–2 defeat on 13 January 2014.[40][41] He followed this up with goals in back-to-back games against Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion, in a 2–2 draw and 4–3 victory respectively.[42][43] Having not scored throughout February, the Belgian then scored a superb overhead volley as well as a header, in an eventual 4–1 victory versus Norwich City on 1 March.[44]

On 3 April 2014, Benteke suffered a rupture of his achilles tendon while training and was ruled out for at least six months, missing the remainder of the season and the 2014 FIFA World Cup.[45]

Still only 23 as well. Hopefully such a huge setback doesn't fuck him over too much.

Still think I prefer Lukaku; more explosive. But both of them would be class buys if they're kept fit.

Hixx

"Kroos with a great ball forward to Fellaini who takes a poor touch and it falls to Carrick... who passes it back to Evans."

You tell me this isn't what Sam Matterface is going to say 600 times a week on Talksport with a straight face.

wtzgU.gif

Wilbur

Banned
"Kroos with a great ball forward to Fellaini who takes a poor touch and it falls to Carrick... who passes it back to Evans."

You tell me this isn't what Sam Matterface is going to say 600 times a week on Talksport with a straight face.

wtzgU.gif

Definitely not

Evans won't be playing

It'll be Smalling m8

Why on earth would Sociedad agree to that :lol

I mean it's probably not true but if Arsenal want him just pay it. £22m or so for someone of his ability is perfectly good value.

Because of the reported 50% sell-on clause we have on Vela, I suppose. He has the same €30m release clause as Griezmann, and they'll be looking to get something close to that when they cash in.

MD are hit and miss though, it's true.

Marc

Not saying those players aren't top or have potential but they were all the rage with silly amounts bandied about and second season syndrome set in a bit. Personally don't think it is a coincidence they got injuries more often. Hard to keep up in the premier league sometimes.

Could see Bony having issues this coming season too. Still if I were the likes of Arsenal I would be in for Benteke while his value is down and the club are in a bad way. Could get him on the cheap. Although with their medical department they would probably just finish him off lassie style.

And btw, Bents record for shit teams is phenomenal. Kept up with Drogba, RVP and Rooney .

K1LLER7

------------- De Goat ----------

Rafa - new CB - Jones - Shaw

------- Fabregas - Kroos ------
---------------- Mata -------------

--- Januzaj - RVP - Rooney ---

It'll work on FIFA

Damn Hitch reminded me of Daniel GOATingfield and I've got Gotta Get Thru This on now and I'm feeling lively.

I need to sleep. Damn you Hitcher.

LegoArmo

Damn Hitch reminded me of Daniel GOATingfield and I've got Gotta Get Thru This on now and I'm feeling lively.

I need to sleep. Damn you Hitcher.

I don’t want to run away but I can’t take it, I don’t understand. If I’m not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?

Really talented family.

Pavlov

Banned
Where is the money for these signings coming from?

It's been a while since I read the United finance blogs, are we just massively in profit now?

Carbonox

People calling for Shola Ameobi to get a testimonial for his 19 year service at Newcastle.

I agree but only if everyone wears a Shola mask and no one scores the entire game. What better send off than that. Sammy can come as he is cos he looks like Shola anyway, though his abilities mirror that of Shola's but with less strength and more deafblind bambi.

Where is the money for these signings coming from?

It's been a while since I read the United finance blogs, are we just massively in profit now?

It's a combination of factors.

Financing costs are down quite alot, probably about £30m/year compared to about £70m in the years gone. So an extra £40m a year there.

Last years profit was £50m after tax...so with all the new commercial deals and the new TV deal, we should turn a profit close to £100m this year. Depends on how much the costs have risen, but basically, it'll be a big profit and there is £100m cash in bank also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom