• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 1m
BREAKING NEWS - Sky Sources: Man Utd make £27m bid for Southampton's Luke Shaw. Jim White Live Now on Sky Sports News. #SSN

For you, Clegg. Man of my word.

EDIT: Beaten soundly. Forgive me Clegg, I am shamed...

Hixx

TalkSport reporting it at the same time.

Wonder if it's another 'briefing' that they seem to be so fond of this season
dPrJaGc.png

So...I think I won the fantasy football league? Pretty close this year though, well done everyone.

Although I will take the chance to boast since this is the third year in a row ;)

faridmon

New to gaf, happy to see there is a thread dedicated to the beautiful game. With that being said I'm a big time newcastle united supporter, and I couldn't be happier that this season is over. This team should be in Europe as they were sitting at 6th halfway through the campaign, but selling Yohan Cabaye without reinvesting at all proved disastrous. I think after 2 transfer windows without a signing there will be complete roster turnover coming soon

Welcome. Hope you stick around, we don't bit :)

Hello FootyGAF. Just had my account validated so I thought I'd make my first post here. Hopefully I'll be making more in the near future (unless you scare me off...)

Pool fan btw.

Welcome.

I know it sounds like I've got an agenda, and if I'm honest, I genuinely do like the lad, but there's no way Glen can play for us next season, surely?

We have a catalog of defensive errors this season, but it'd be interesting to see how often they start with Johnson either losing his man, being way out of position, or playing someone onside. Happened again today.

I've defended him beyond what he's deserved for about 2 and a half years now. Enough is enough though. All the talent he could possibly have hoped for when he was a kid, but he just hasn't got enough of a defender's brain to be a reliable rightback in a team trying to win the league.

Should have been converted to a right winger when he was like 18

Feorax

Reckon he goes for about £35m if that's the opening gambit.

They'll be paying him Rooney-level wages by the time he's 27, bank on it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Do you really think he wanted Peluso and Padoin? Marotta told him what the budget was, he picked two players he tought would be useful. But that's almost beside the point. He wants a team capable of competing, truly competing, in Europe. He's nothing if not super ambitious. We knew this.
He basically said that this squad's maximum in Europe is top 8.

With this 3-5-2 and no wingers or a LB? I agree

Juve's spine+Lichtsteiner is among the best in the world. Get those wide positions strengthened, and a top class player to play alongside Tevez, and you're sorted

Easier said than done though

FootballFan

That's a lot of money for Shaw imo.

So...I think I won the fantasy football league? Pretty close this year though, well done everyone.

Although I will take the chance to boast since this is the third year in a row ;)

Congrats. :)

I wonder where I finished, going to check now.

Feorax

De Gea; Rafael, Jones, New CB, Shaw; New CM, New CM; Mata, Potato, Kagawa; RVP.

Might not be too bad next season with no Europe. Still a lot of work to do.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juve's spine+Lichtsteiner is among the best in the world. Get those wide positions strengthened, and a top class player to play alongside Tevez, and you're sorted

Easier said than done though
It really is, and you know what's infuriating about this? We have the money, but refuse to spend it (all on one player).
it'll be a total waste if Conte goes to Monaco
:(

Save him jtb. Sometimes I think he deserves better than this.

Zabojnik

He basically said that this squad's maximum in Europe is top 8.

With this 3-5-2 and no wingers or a LB? I agree

Yep. On one hand, he went with 3-5-2 in his first year because he didn't have the players for his preferred tactical setup, which was supposed to be a 4-2-4. So that was on us, if you want to put it that way. He had to take what was given to him. On the other, it was him that insisted on sticking with a formation that clearly wasn't cutting it in at the highest level in Europe. For two more seasons. He's as much to blame as everyone else. Not that I feel like 'blaming' anyone after three UNREAL seasons. But it has to be said.

3Sixty

There has been some pretty serious suggestion from Local journo's that lot of the recent negative/transfer stories lately have come from Cortese or more specifically Cortese's old PR outfit in effort to de-stable the club. I wish i was joking too.

Most have been reported by ex pro-cortese journo's too...

Salvadora

Shaw is class.

£30m+ for your first choice left back for ten years is a good investment.

Its the wages which aren't.
I find it bit presumptuous that Shaw is being touted as a 10 year, first choice option. It's a bit early in his career to say that innit.

New place called Haymaker. If you've ever been to Austin, it's from the owner of Black Sheep Lodge which is here in 78704 -- very cool place with excellent food. Haymaker's a bit north up past campus.

Hope your aunt recovers quickly, Clegg!

Johnny Marr! http://bcove.me/vvmcs2it -- The Joleon and Micah one was kind of depressing.

Aww, crap. That's a great location! Thanks for the tip! I'll probably organize a world cup match there.

I find it bit presumptuous that Shaw is being touted as a 10 year, first choice option. It's a bit early in his career to say that innit.

Not really. His reading of the game is exceptional. There are full-backs 10 years older than him that don't have his level of understanding when it comes to defending.

Dark Rider

Alright lads. I won't be posting much for the next while.

Just learned that my aunt needs open heart surgery and she's getting it sometime in the next week. She has lupus which caused her to stroke about 12 years ago and her heart has gotten worse since then. I don't know the exact specifics but apparently one of the valves to her heart is badly damaged and blood flow compromised. None of our family told the kids (me and my cousins) because they didn't want us to worry. For the next few weeks we'll be taking turns to visit her so I won't be posting.

So congrats to the City posters, commiserations to the Pool posters (even that scoundrel Morsel) and Forza Atleti.

Best wishes man :(

Slizz

It just feels necessary to interject with his age (18 years old). Undoubtedly he has huge talents, but would be an unprecedented amount of money, all things considered.
Understandable points. But in this day an age do you see him going for any less??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom