• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_prOdigy

Fabregas would be a decent buy for Liverpool. They do need depth going forward, and as squad players go, he wouldn't be a bad signing at all.

Salvadora

Cesc to Liverpool is probably as likely as the Sturridge to Arsenal rumour that's going round tonight.
I've noticed that Sturridge (and Sterling) seem quite close to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the national set-up.

It would make sense that he was planting the seeds of betrayal.

Tc91

To top it all off on how shit that story is

Sami Mokbel ‏@SamiMokbel81_DM 12m
@BeardedGenius hi mate, didn't write that. No idea why my name is on it.

He didn't even write the article, I'm done for the summer of muppets.

Feorax

I've noticed that Sturridge (and Sterling) seem quite close to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the national set-up.

It would make sense that he was planting the seeds of betrayal.

Hendo seems to be part of that little clique too. Are we about to be Southampton'd ourselves?

Mastadon

Banned
GROVES

GOT

FUCKED

Bo_tjmaIgAE47NM.jpg:large

Mastadon

Banned
how do you guys deal with all the transfer rumours

i wanna know what's happening

but everything is bullshit

I work on the basis that everything is real until proven otherwise, unless it's a story linking a striker to Arsenal. You can just go ahead and disregard those.

Salazar

I work on the basis that everything is real until proven otherwise, unless it's a story linking a striker to Arsenal. You can just go ahead and disregard those.

Henry Winter looks like a bystander at Antiques Roadshow

You can trust. You have to trust.

It's going to be the first National kit that i have purchased in a while
Bo_dvxMCYAApslX.png:large

Going with a Memphis one? I want one as well, but I'm not sure what name I want on there. Robben is great, can't go wrong with RVP, Memphis is the future and Leroy Fer is my boy.

Decisions, decisions.

how do you guys deal with all the transfer rumours

i wanna know what's happening

but everything is bullshit

You embrace the muppetry and compartmentalise your brain. 90% of it is latching onto rumours, speculation, bullshit and nonsense. The other 10% is realism, and the anchor that you'll only truly get excited when it officially happens

Salvadora

Going with a Memphis one? I want one as well, but I'm not sure what name I want on there. Robben is great, can't go wrong with RVP, Memphis is the future and Leroy Fer is my boy.

Decisions, decisions.
I'm still at an impasse over which one to get. The kit looks much better with a number

Like, Van Persie isn't an option for obvious reasons and neither is Robben.

After that, there's basically no one notable in the Dutch squad :lol.

Linius

I'm still at an impasse over which one to get. The kit looks much better with a number

bro pls, sneijder is ytour man

Clegg

Did he say he wanted to stay at Dnipro for another year? It looks like our interest in him has completely cooled - haven't seen anything linking him recently.
I've no idea what the story is with him tbh. I don't even know how good he is. Played well against Spurs but they're the only games I've ever seen him play. I'm now at the stage where I just want a winger who isn't Ashley Young.

It's a story by the Mirror so usually I'd ignore it but it was written by Simon Mullock. He was pretty on the ball with United's pursuit of LvG iirc.

I'm glad that I missed the friendly vs Greece. I knew it was to be a bore fest and am glad to not have wasted a nice Saturday watching garbage

Fuck we were shit tonight, Ireland looked like Spain at times, England'll walk all over us come the 14th or whenever, Bonucci and Paletta were a disgrace, god preserve Chiellini and Barzagli or we're screwed.

The injury to Montolivo was the one good thing to come out of today's match (edit: of course I hope he gets well soon, so he can start sucking again playing for Milan, I just don't think he deserves a place in the squad), that will make it slightly more likely for Verratti to get a starting spot in the team. He's just brilliant really, such a shame he didn't join Juve, the deal seemed all but done at the time:/

How did England play against Peru?

LTWheels

Fuck we were shit tonight, Ireland looked like Spain at times, England'll walk all over us come the 14th or whenever, Bonucci and Paletta were a disgrace, god preserve Chiellini and Barzagli or we're screwed.

The injury to Montolivo was the one good thing to come out of today's match, that will make it slightly more likely for Verratti to get a starting spot in the team. He's just brilliant really, such a shame he didn't join Juve, the deal seemed all but done at the time:/

How did England play against Peru?

World Cup Champions Elect performance.

THREE LIONS

OUR BRAVE ENGLAND JOHN TERRY

BRITANNIA RULES THE WAYS

Meier

I hope Lampard does go to the MLS. It'll be good for him long term. He'll play more, get paid more and his value after he retires will go up. It's win, win, win.

He definitely won't get paid more. He was on £150k a week at Chelsea. This would be about £7.8m a year -- roughly around $13m. It's a misconception that a lot of these older players make more than they would elsewhere to be honest -- anyone on £45k a week in the UK is making about $3.9m a year. These are the top 10 salaries in MLS:

Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders): $6,695,189
Michael Bradley (Toronto FC): $6,500,000
Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC): $6,180,000
Landon Donovan (L.A. Galaxy): $4,583,333
Robbie Keane (L.A. Galaxy): $4,500,000
Thierry Henry (N.Y. Red Bulls): $4,350,000
Tim Cahill (N.Y. Red Bulls): $3,630,000
Obafemi Martins (Seattle Sounders): $1,753,333
Marco Di Vaio (Montreal Impact): $1,750,000
Pedro Morales (Vancouver Whitecaps): $1,410,900
Omar Gonzalez (L.A. Galaxy): $1,250,000
Gilberto Oliveira Souza Júnior (Toronto FC): $1,210,000

I think I saw one article about Villa that said he'd earn around €3m a year which would translate to $4m -- I'm sure with bonuses he'll be around Keane and Henry. Lampard's salary will probably be a bit less. Maybe closer to Tim Cahill.

rajanp22

Did it seem like Froch was ahead in the early rounds?

Everyone nearby in the ground felt Groves was well ahead before he got KO'ed.
The commentators felt Froch was edging him earlier but Groves was growing into it before the KO. Amir Khan seemed to think Groves was edging it in the first few rounds though

Derp1na

Banned
He definitely won't get paid more. He was on £150k a week at Chelsea. This would be about £7.8m a year -- roughly around $13m. It's a misconception that a lot of these older players make more than they would elsewhere to be honest -- anyone on £45k a week in the UK is making about $3.9m a year. These are the top 10 salaries in MLS:

I think I saw one article about Villa that said he'd earn around €3m a year which would translate to $4m -- I'm sure with bonuses he'll be around Keane and Henry. Lampard's salary will probably be a bit less. Maybe closer to Tim Cahill.

If Lampard were on ~$4m, that would equate to around £45k a week. I don't think an English club is going to offer a 36 year old Lampard more than that.

Except West Ham.

Meier

If Lampard were on ~$4m, that would equate to around £45k a week. I don't think an English club is going to offer a 36 year old Lampard more than that.

Except West Ham.

I think he'd pretty easily get something in that ballpark from a few clubs. Big Sam or Harry would probably offer £60k at least. Kind of irrelevant at this point though I suppose.

Not even a bad suggestion. Played a lot better than I expected today, didn't think the system would do him justice at left back. Still, gonna be a different ballgame when he has to face Sanchez, Navas or whoever.

Nigel De Jong played great as well, I picked up playing again myself, and I play CDM now because I'm too slow to play on the wing, so a De Jong jersey would be cool as well. Or Sneijder...

OMG I CAN'T CHOOSE !

Bruno Martins Indi

Isn't he the Dutch Cleverley? Any dutch bros want to comment on his ability?

I don't like the guy. That pass to RVP against Ecuador was brilliant, but how often is he able to pull that off?

Elchele

You're talking like an oil club was already in the league. They are going to inflate salaries like they did in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom