• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Samir Nasri must be laughing* his cock off. France don't look so great going forward.

Stats say France have played well but that won't stop him

Yen

BpEljpnIAAE5WNR.jpg

Yen

I'm welling up inside. So emotional.

When Lambert's on the pitch, do you think he will take pens instead of Gerrard?

Depends on if Gerrrard reckons he can get the 27 goals he needs to get to 200 before he retires - that's two seasons worth of penalties!

Salvadora

John Cross says we'll move for Balotelli. I think that's as good as it'll get honestly.
Disregarding that source for a second, Balotelli probably is the best we could get in terms of sheer ability, but he's immature and unsuited to being a professional.

Therefore, no.

Barzul

Disregarding that source for a second, Balotelli probably is the best we could get in terms of sheer ability, but he's immature and unsuited to being a professional.

Therefore, no.

I'd rather him than someone like Madzukic for example or Remy. He has more upward potential and could become a great. And it seems Milan might have to sell too.

Walshy

I'm welling up inside. So emotional.

When Lambert's on the pitch, do you think he will take pens instead of Gerrard?
I think Lambert will get to take them.

Tony Barrett is saying we prefer getting Sanchez over Fabregas. Also mentions that Liverpool was sounded out by Barcelona about Fabregas' availability.

Edit: Damn it Yen. £30m for Lallana is ridiculous, glad we've moved on.

Salvadora

I'd rather him than someone like Madzukic for example or Remy. He has more upward potential and could become a great. And it seems Milan might have to sell too.
It's potential that is destined to be wasted.

If we trailed in a tense, must-win match and it's the 88th minute, would you trust Balotelli not to have a meltdown? I wouldn't.

Don't think Wenger could make him change either.

Feorax

Sanchez and Shaqiri it is then.

Shame about Lallana, but if we can't justify the fee then so be it. Southampton are entitled to take any stance they want, lord knows we did last year.

Lallana hasn't kicked up a fuss, so I can't see him behaving like a prick about not getting the move.

Our chief scout is a massive fan of Sanchez. I'm sure he'll be pushing for that move to go through.

Walshy

Sanchez and Shaqiri it is then.

Shame about Lallana, but if we can't justify the fee then so be it. Southampton are entitled to take any stance they want, lord knows we did last year.

Lallana hasn't kicked up a fuss, so I can't see him behaving like a prick about not getting the move.
I think he will stay at Southampton, I don't think Spurs are interested and no one will pay the £30m asking price.

They are banking on him having an impressive world cup, fair enough but I don't think he justifies £30m pricetag. It's a shame, he would of been brilliant in our attack.

Yen

Getting a top wideman would/will be great, but it doesn't solve the problem of none of our CMs getting regular goals from midfield (excluding Gerrard's penalties). Hendo and Coutinho got 9 between them.
Of course, when your front 3 get 70 goals between them it's not a massive concern, but still.

TeddyBoy

What, a possession game with rapid and effective counter attacking football?

Hmm

He can football on the floor, has good hold up play and is good defensively considering he's a striker. I'm probably being too kind to him but I think having a striker like Lambert will help quite a but over the entire season with so many potential games this year.

It's also worth pointing up out that our rapid counter attacking style doesn't work when you play deep like Chelsea did against us, we might have to deal with that in the champions league and a player like Lambert who has to use his positioning and team work might be the difference compared to Sturridge.

LTWheels

Getting a top wideman would/will be great, but it doesn't solve the problem of none of our CMs getting regular goals from midfield (excluding Gerrard's penalties). Hendo and Coutinho got 9 between them.
Of course, when your front 3 get 70 goals between them it's not a massive concern, but still.

The easiest position we can upgrade outside of our defence is Coutinho. We need someone who can more regularly contribute to goals from that position.

Walshy

I agree with you.

Whilst one of the main positives from our campaign in 13/14 was the ability to score at will, it was mainly through our front three, a Gerrard penalty/set-piece or a Skrtel header. Whilst our painfully obvious defensive deficiencies are apparent to everyone in the league, for me, going forward we need to improve the squad quality and as you mentioned, the amount of goals scored from midfield.

The biggest surprise for me this season was the lack of goals Coutinho notched. His spell from his arrival in January to the end of the season he managed to get three goals in thirteen games, which averages at a goal every four games. Going off that, Coutinho should have had nine goals. His shooting and finishing were dreadful in comparison to the glimpses we seen when he first arrived. Henderson too, whilst improving lots of aspects of his game, he never added goals to his game. His improvement this year is similar to Ramsey, I remember he had similar (maybe better, I can’t really remember) stats to Ramsey. The only thing lacking was Henderson never had the goal-tally which Ramsey has achieved. However, Henderson and Coutinho are only in their early twenties, lots of room for improvement. Allen could really add to his tally too, but his first league goal in two seasons was the penultimate game against Palace, if he wants to justify his position playing further up the field, he needs to contribute much more with the goals.

I think missing out on Mkhitaryan was huge. I really feel he would have excelled in this Liverpool side this season, and would have easily gotten into the double figures when it comes to goals. Rodgers is still a huge fan, and there was murmurs near the end-season that we may go back for him, if I remember correctly. Unlikely, but you never know, finding a midfielder who can get 15+ goals is quite rare these days.

Feorax

Is Adam Blackmore reliable from a Saints perspective? His timeline is really interesting, seems Southampton board ignoring all attempts by Lallana to contact them to discuss what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom