• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
France
125px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

UtT8JBQ.jpg
peWpsLb.jpg
PgTnals.png

Nickname: Les Bleus
Rivals: Italy, I guess
World Ranking: 16th
Previous WC: 14 visits, including this one
Best: Champions in 1998
Last: Group Stage, 2010

Route to the Finals:

A few new faces in and around the team since this time 4 years ago, with young players like Mamadou Sakho and Paul Pogba being integrated into the team. There are still a number of experienced players in the team, including a few who were assumed to be frozen out of the team after their actions in the last world cup. The biggest change is the manager, with France legend Didier Deschamps replacing Laurent Blanc in 2012, who himself had replaced Raymond Domenech, France's manager in 2010

France's path to qualification had a massive spanner thrown into the works when they were drawn into the same group as Spain, which made top spot, and automatic qualification, an improbable task. While they drew 1-1 in Spain, giving themselves a good oppurtunity to finish 1st, they lost 1-0 at home to the same opponents, leaving them 2nd, a massive 8 points ahead of Finland in 3rd. This finish left them with a playoff tie against Ukraine, in which they lost the first leg 2-0 in Ukraine, and won the second 3-0, with 2 goals from legendary centreback Mamadou Sakho.

Players to watch:

Paul Pogba:
ekTwV50.jpg

One of the brightest young talents in the sport, Pogba is a brute. Technically brilliant, swaggering, strong, quick. Forced his way into France's starting lineup at the tender age of 21 with his performances for Juventus, if France are to do well in this torunament, it will probably be in large part due to his ability to carry the ball forward, and keep play moving in the final third

Laurent Koscielny
rMmVpzw.jpg

Coming off of his best season in an Arsenal shirt, Koscielny is a theoretically brilliant centre back. Fast, agile, a good tackler, decent header, very good passer and great at carrying the ball out of defense when the space allows it, to put his team right on the front foot. However, there's a reason I said 'theoretically.' He is well capable of completely losing his head, making a stupid mistake to cost his team, be it poor positioning, trying to win an unwinnable ball, giving a penalty away with a silly tackle or being sent off. At his best, he is fantastic, but there's always the feeling that he could easily do something to prove to be a liability as much as anything. If he can cut that from his game for just a month, France will have one of the best centrebacks at the tournament.

Franck Ribery
oaIgjCI.jpg

On the sidelines. Crying sweet, salty tears. No World Cup for you, Franck. Should have been blacklisted from the France setup after 2010 where he was the orchestrator of the entire atmosphere in the camp becoming poisonous, contributing to their disgraceful performances on the pitch. Au revoir, you nonce.

Trivia: When France's former manager Domenech was expected to announce his called-for resignation at a press conference after France's exit from Euro 2008, he instead used the oppurtunity to propose to his girlfriend

There's a few assumptions in there, but I imagine it's mostly right :p

King_Moc

Banned
Bloody hell, Lallana's embarrassing himself a bit here. He's decent, but I really hope we don't cave and pay £30 million for him. He's not worth anywhere near it. And he definitely seems to have a loyalty problem. Could see him doing a Meireles.

Blablurn

[

Franck Ribery
oaIgjCI.jpg

On the sidelines. Crying sweet, salty tears. No World Cup for you, Franck. Should have been blacklisted from the France setup after 2010 where he was the orchestrator of the entire atmosphere in the camp becoming poisonous, contributing to their disgraceful performances on the pitch. Au revoir, you nonce.

keep going, footy gaf, keep going. nothing surprising anymore here. ridiculous.

Not true. He sent me a PM too.

but I don't think I'm capable of writing professional profiles, or rather capable of withholding my urge to troll :lol
LOL

If you have information that might be useful, pm Wes. Im sure he would appreciate any info even if he might just hit delete and continue on with whatever he was doing.

Barzul

I think Fabregas to Chelsea will happen. Arsenal don't seem interested in the slightest. I'd accept it if we got at least one WC signing this summer and filled our problem positions. i.e DM, RB, ST, GK.

Hitcher lol. And Wes though people doing their own national team was the greatest cause of concern with regards to lack of objectivity.

Hitcher lol. And Wes though people doing their own national team was the greatest cause of concern with regards to lack of objectivity.

Oh, you've got a surprise in store bruv. I've got one country left...

If Wes wants, I'll change the Ribery stuff and do a proper one on Benzema or someone, I know it doesn't fit in with the idea of the profiles :p

@people who watch France, is it Benz+Giroud/Remy up front generally?

If Wes wants, I'll change the Ribery stuff and do a proper one on Benzema or someone, I know it doesn't fit in with the idea of the profiles :p

Ingerland I assume? Rip Rppmey.

pulga

Banned

Do fucking Benzema or Varane you fruit, your Madrid bias is showing. Current CL champs deserve one spot innit

omgkitty

How about Griezmann?

Zabojnik

Just got back from Edge of Tomorrow. Was great fun. A bit on the obvious and safe side, once the you-know-what starts happening, but fun nonetheless. I thought the pacing was almost ideal. If I had to quantify it, I'd say it was about ten times as fun as Winter Soldier. Superhero films are a bit shit, aren't they?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Just got back from Edge of Tomorrow. Was great fun. A bit on the obvious and safe side, once the you-know-what starts happening, but fun nonetheless. I thought the pacing was almost ideal. If I had to quantify it, I'd say it was about ten times as fun as Winter Soldier. Superhero films are a bit shit, aren't they?

HYYYYYYYYPE

Wes

venison crêpe

I'm really happy with the write ups people have done so far. Some really good work gone in. I did have a different template originally planned when I was worried about people doing their own nations, but due to time constraints I've gone back to this 2010 template - but it's working a treat so far!

Zabojnik

HYYYYYYYYPE

Best go in with low-ish expectations. It's not exactly a sci-fi masterpiece and honestly, after the disappointment that was Winter Soldier (after the hype), almost any decent I movie I saw next was bound get my praise. :p

It's good.

Who do you think would start in front of Ribery? Griezmann.

You're right, thought Valbuena was the Ribery replacement, seems they only actually have 2 good wide players in the entire squad, and Griezmann is one of them

Fuck knows how their CM will work, they have Pogba, Matuidi, Cabaye. One of them will have to miss out unless they go 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

I'm really happy with the write ups people have done so far. Some really good work gone in. I did have a different template originally planned when I was worried about people doing their own nations, but due to time constraints I've gone back to this 2010 template - but it's working a treat so far!

That's good to hear. How close are we to having all the write ups done and the thread being opened?

According to Riise, Hangeland was released by email.... While he was on vacation. Nice one Fulham.

That'll teach him for being dogshit for 2 years. Wonder where Riise will go now. Having lost his shooting ability and powerful running, all that's left is a fullback with no pace, no great defensive skill and no particular attacking ability.

Wes

venison crêpe
That's good to hear. How close are we to having all the write ups done and the thread being opened?

Only 7 unclaimed which is better than I thought. I thought I'd end up doing about 14 or so myself so 7 is fine if it remains like that.

pulga

Banned

but wes for the love of god fix any differences in the writeups regarding to the template, ie:

Ex. 1:
Best: Champions in 1998

Ex. 2:
Best: Champions (2006)

or the OCD will kick into full gear moonface.jpg

edit: which teams are missing? maybe i can squeeze in another one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom