• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Surely Schürrle is ahead of him? He keeps coming off the bench and doing well! Unless you mean both? I did see Podolski got like 5 assists in the last 7 German goals or something.
Podolski is mightily productive for Germany and seems to be somewhat of a Löw lad.

He won't start every game, of course, but he's going to get a good many minutes.

They could also play Schürrle up front (or Podolski although he's shit there).

Just like Hazard wanted to join United or City.
ibg1yxwimtZgdv.png

Just like a striker whose stability and growth is being repeatedly undermined by the same process that has seen Courtois want to quit the club. You're buying a 25 year old £32 million striker, do you expect your potential-filled young striker to stick around? Maybe he'll bend over and fuck off on loan for another season on the off chance that Costa might Shevchenko/Torres it?

wedward

It is a bummer to see any players get injured this close to the world cup.

Can't imagine how devastating it must be for them.

Podolski is mightily productive for Germany and seems to be somewhat of a Löw lad.

He won't start every game, of course, but he's going to get a good many minutes.

They could also play Schürrle up front (or Podolski although he's shit there).

I really love Poldi but 9 out of 10 goals he scores for Germany are in matches against shite teams.

Salvadora

I really love Poldi but 9 out of 10 goals he scores for Germany are in matches against shite teams.
Most importantly though, is that he gets goals.

If someone is going to pop up in the box in the 89th minute, you want it to be him.

You need players like that, even if his all-round general play isn't up to snuff.

Just like a striker whose stability and growth is being repeatedly undermined by the same process that has seen Courtois want to quit the club. You're buying a 25 year old £32 million striker, do you expect your potential-filled young striker to stick around? Maybe he'll bend over and fuck off on loan for another season on the off chance that Costa might Shevchenko/Torres it?

Well, perhaps he could try and fight for his place rather than deciding he can't hack it. And if thats the case, he would never make it for us anyway.

And the process is not making Courtois want to quit, he's got very attached and been successful at Atletico and doesn't want to sit on the bench, I don't see that a problem. If he gets number 1 spot he'll sign a big new deal and stay.

Razor554

"Barcelona want to announce at start of next week Cesc's transfer to Chelsea, and soon after transfer of Sevilla midfielder Rakitic. [rac1]"

wedward

Well, perhaps he could try and fight for his place rather than deciding he can't hack it. And if thats the case, he would never make it for us anyway.

And the process is not making Courtois want to quit, he's got very attached and been successful at Atletico and doesn't want to sit on the bench, I don't see that a problem. If he gets number 1 spot he'll sign a big new deal and stay.

I love this idea that these players should stick around and "fight" for their position and if they don't it's because they can't "hack" it.

It's so absurd. Can you not see that?

Trying to fight for your place is well and good when you have a manager who will employ that process. Mourinho expects immediate results and has no time for 'he had a bad game he's developing'. Costa will play for as long as he's in form (and possibly when he's out of it) and fit.

GQman2121

Banned
Trying to fight for your place is well and good when you have a manager who will employ that process. Mourinho expects immediate results and has no time for 'he had a bad game he's developing'. Costa will play for as long as he's in form and fit.

To be fair to the Mourinho, he's working for a madman. So immediate results are kind of a part of the job. Though you can argue that Mou has never given priority to developing players at any of the clubs he's managed.

I do think Lukaku has had an unfair run over the last three years though. We obviously don't know what happens or is said behind the scenes. But based solely on his performances at West Brom and Everton, he deserves to be given a shot with us this season.

I love this idea that these players should stick around and "fight" for their position and if they don't it's because they can't "hack" it.

It's so absurd. Can you not see that?

I was referring specifically to Lukaku - for Courtois he has been extremely successful, won trophies, accolades and done great at another time. Lukaku bottled it after the Super Cup because he messed up (I don't blame him for it, but thats how it went down, he was happy to stay before that, they were trying to shift Ba out not Lukaku) and wanted out, then spent ages whining on loan then pissed Jose off. So yes, I've got concerns about his ability to hack it when playing for us, banging them in for Everton and WBA is not the same.

Just like a striker whose stability and growth is being repeatedly undermined by the same process that has seen Courtois want to quit the club. You're buying a 25 year old £32 million striker, do you expect your potnetial-filled young striker to stick around?

Not sure what to expect with Lukaku, imagine both him staying and leaving is pretty possible, So I'm not really expecting anything? Although hoping he will end up staying and playing quite a bit, as Costa obviously won't play every match. But hoping GAF would finally start thinking twice about ridiculous comments, especially after all the bullshit the papers made up with Hazard, where what you usually call trustable newspapers goes on to just quote tabloid trash.

To be fair to the Mourinho, he's working for a madman. So immediate results are kind of a part of the job. Though you can argue that Mou has never given priority to developing players at any of the clubs he's managed.

I do think Lukaku has had an unfair run over the last three years though. We obviously don't know what happens or is said behind the scenes. But based solely on his performances at West Brom and Everton, he deserves to be given a shot with us this season.

I'd reckon it's hugely to Chelsea's benefit to have two awesome strikers fighting over a coveted place. They just need man-management and appropriate rotation.

jtb

Banned
don't really think the jump between scoring goals Everton and Chelsea is all that big, if at all. if anything, Everton probably play more technical football than Chelsea do.

people said the same thing about Sturridge scoring goals at Bolton then being unable to score at Chelsea.... and now he's playing better than ever at Liverpool. just because goals were scored at a "small club" doesn't mean they don't have the ability or that that won't translate to a big club. sometimes the system's gotta give too; and, for whatever reason, Chelsea have simply not been able to get a striker scoring goals consistently for a long time now.

and, yes, Ba is a perfectly good striker who will score loads of goals for whoever gets him

Not sure what to expect with Lukaku, imagine both him staying and leaving is pretty possible, So I'm not really expecting anything? Although hoping he will end up staying and playing quite a bit, as Costa obviously won't play every match. But hoping GAF would finally start thinking twice about ridiculous comments, especially after all the bullshit the papers made up with Hazard, where what you usually call trustable newspapers goes on to just quote tabloid trash.

You mustn't get so worked up by journalist mis-translations bb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom