• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

Things progressing well today. Just need to hear back from a few people and do some editing but thread may even be able to go up late tonight.
2S8wzuc.gif

Scum

It wouldn't be the World Cup without an African team threatening to refuse to play because their FA are a bunch of twats.
Yeah. Hopefully they get it sorted soon enough.

Looool I only sent Wes the Cameroon profile a few hours ago.

Crazy.

You know my steez.
:p

Any other England fans lost their cautious optimism over the course of those friendlies?

It's quite easy to dismiss these performances since there are just friendlies. But IT IS England we're talking about here...

Is Sterling expected to start at the WC?

I'd say yes, actually. Welbeck and Lallana have had 3 chances to prove they deserve a start and they have not made use of them. Sterling on the other hand has apparently been exceptional in training, and has not had the chance to prove that he shouldn't be in there. I'd have no complaints about Chamberlain starting ahead of him, but he's injured for another week or so at least. And let's be honest, he's just a much better player than Welbeck.

I'd say yes, actually. Welbeck and Lallana have had 3 chances to prove they deserve a start and they have not made use of them. Sterling on the other hand has apparently been exceptional in training, and has not had the chance to prove that he shouldn't be in there. I'd have no complaints about Chamberlain starting ahead of him, but he's injured for another week or so at least. And let's be honest, he's just a much better player than Welbeck.

Okay, cool. Think I'm gonna go for him in my friends' fantasy league.

Wilbur

Banned
Moyes has gone out of his way to slap Faridmon:

"There is this myth that I didn't fully rate Barkley when I was at Everton. Right the way through his academy days, I regarded him as a player whose development would be key to Everton's future. We sent him on loan to get him senior football. It was all about bringing him on as a player."

Good. When he started at the Emirates this season everyone was going on about Martinez's bravery

Barkley started at the Emirates last season.

Wilbur

Banned
My predictions:

f8YgX34.png

And top scorer = Higuain

Any other England fans lost their cautious optimism over the course of those friendlies?

I never had cautious optimism to begin with, but nothing has changed over the course of these friendlies one way or the other. Look at Italy; crap before every tournament.

I think there's a real argument for playing Welbeck behind the striker and putting him on Pirlo to be honest, like he did against Alonso or like Park did against Pirlo a few years ago.

It won't happen because Hodgson will just play him out wide, but I would probably do it.

Wilbur

Banned
The fact Qatar even got it in the first place is embarrassing. It's all well and good everyone coming out against it now, should have said they wouldn't support shit before the vote for human rights reasons. Everyone only gets involved when the matter is about fucking money.

3Sixty

Southampton have lined up Brazilian striker Paulinho to replace Rickie Lambert.
Paulinho scored 15 Serie A goals for Livorno last season and is valued at around £8m.
Italian club Torino are also in the hunt.
Should Arsenal not take back their Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell, who could yet haunt England and who has been abroad for three years, then West Brom or Southampton could move in.

Wilbur

Banned
Group C is the hardest to predict.

I've no idea what will happen there.

Thanks b.

Yeah, C is the only one where I think all four stand an equal chance of going through. I'm just giving Colombia relative home advantage and assuming Greece are still jammy fuckers.

Think G might have a surprise too (or at least more likely than a few others)

Southampton have lined up Brazilian striker Paulinho to replace Rickie Lambert.
Paulinho scored 15 Serie A goals for Livorno last season and is valued at around £8m.
Italian club Torino are also in the hunt.
Should Arsenal not take back their Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell, who could yet haunt England and who has been abroad for three years, then West Brom or Southampton could move in.

Campbell would be decent, looked good against us this season.

Bumhead

Banned

Never had any "optimism" before.

Some of the reverse backlash regarding some of the younger players is annoying me though. Collymore was being incredibly dismissive of Barkley on Talksport last night (yeah I know.. it's my fault for listening) and he's not the only one.

The kid is absolutely class. Yes he's raw and yes he will do things like lose the ball, but he's also completely fearless, untouched by failure and has the ability to rattle something in from anywhere out of nothing. I think the only case you can make against Barkley starting is that ball retention is going to be absolutely crucial at this World Cup and that Barkley perhaps doesn't help that, but that assumes playing him would be at the expense of someone who can. Our cultural and deep rooted inefficiency of possession football is not going to live or die on Ross Barkley.

There are lots of people being incredibly English about the whole approach to players like Barkley and to a lesser extent Lallana and Sterling. I'd love to see us start with an exciting, young and fearless approach to the game rather than chucking then on after an hour and asking them to chase the game for us. To be fair I expect Sterling and Lallana to start, but I'd also play Barkley without a second of hesitation.

bud

i hope japan make it out of the group stages. they're nice to watch; they always have plenty of small, technical players.

Wilbur

Banned
Never had any "optimism" before.

Some of the reverse backlash regarding some of the younger players is annoying me though. Collymore was being incredibly dismissive of Barkley on Talksport last night (yeah I know.. it's my fault for listening) and he's not the only one.

The kid is absolutely class. Yes he's raw and yes he will do things like lose the ball, but he's also completely fearless, untouched by failure and has the ability to rattle something in from anywhere out of nothing. I think the only case you can make against Barkley starting is that ball retention is going to be absolutely crucial at this World Cup and that Barkley perhaps doesn't help that, but that assumes playing him would be at the expense of someone who can. Our cultural and deep rooted inefficiency of possession football is not going to live or die on Ross Barkley.

There are lots of people being incredibly English about the whole approach to players like Barkley and to a lesser extent Lallana and Sterling. I'd love to see us start with an exciting, young and fearless approach to the game rather than chucking then on after an hour and asking them to chase the game for us. To be fair I expect Sterling and Lallana to start, but I'd also play Barkley without a second of hesitation.

I really like Barkley, and I'd definitely push for his inclusion against Costa Rica where the impetus will be to win and win well.

Against Italy especially, we're going to have to assume that the ball retention will mostly be in Italy's favour and should line up accordingly. I don't think I'd pick Barkley over Ox/Welbeck/Sterling/Sturridge if it comes down to making the most of it on the counter attack, and (despite it not being the ideal midfield partnership anyway) I'd not pick him over Gerrard and Henderson.

Henderson is crucial I think; really needs to set the pace in midfield whether that's with or without the ball. Press hard and high, let Gerrard focus on distribution.

Wilbur

Banned
i hope japan make it out of the group stages. they're nice to watch; they always have plenty of small, technical players.

Yeah, they're a nice team. C is a real crapshoot to be honest, any of them could easily win the group. Would like to see Japan and Colombia through though. Dem Yaya tears.

Personnel is only one of the many problems for England.

A total lack of tactical nous is a far bigger problem. Playing Barkley won't change that for a second. Most teams will just totally bypass him.

Yeah, they're a nice team. C is a real crapshoot to be honest, any of them could easily win the group. Would like to see Japan and Colombia through though. Dem Yaya tears.

I would love an African team to make the semis and I think Ivory Coast have the best shot. So I hope they make it through. I wonder how Columbia will do without Falcao.

Yeah, agreed.

It's what makes Sterling such a good player and special talent.

People keep banging on about Barkley being fearless and what not. So what, who cares - it's nice to see and endearing but it doesn't change anything really. Yesterday people kept saying Barkley came on and made such a big difference. He did nothing - he ran around and went on a couple of runs but he created nothing. People are just more forgiving of it.

Sterling plays with such composure and quality, he knows his role and creates space and openings, he genuinely improves the team and makes things happen beyond just being young and raw.

I really like Barkley, and I'd definitely push for his inclusion against Costa Rica where the impetus will be to win and win well.

Against Italy especially, we're going to have to assume that the ball retention will mostly be in Italy's favour and should line up accordingly. I don't think I'd pick Barkley over Ox/Welbeck/Sterling/Sturridge if it comes down to making the most of it on the counter attack, and (despite it not being the ideal midfield partnership anyway) I'd not pick him over Gerrard and Henderson.

Henderson is crucial I think; really needs to set the pace in midfield whether that's with or without the ball. Press hard and high, let Gerrard focus on distribution.

England need to gamble and have their best passers out there. The heat and humidity is going to be a key factor. I don't think it will be a very exciting game and counter attacking is is gonna be hard and counter productive for England in the long term. It is a lot harder when you don't have the ball and England risk draining themselves after one game if they allow Italy to keep to ball and go full hog on the counter. Whoever can control the tempo of the game and exert as little energy will be the team that will have the better chance in their next two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom