• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Speed on the counter will be key against Italy, we have three defenders than turn slower than Chris and Jill in Resident Evil.

and why would anyone listen to Collymore? He's the cunt that wanted David Moyes to buy Chiellini AND Barzagli in JANUARY

Wilbur

Banned
I would love an African team to make the semis and I think Ivory Coast have the best shot. So I hope they make it through. I wonder how Columbia will do without Falcao.

They probably have the best chance of going through because of how even the group is, but I can see Nigeria getting out of theirs. Don't know much about Bosnia other than Pjanic and Dzeko, but they looked good enough in qualifying.

Colombia will be alright. Jackson, Cuadrado and James are still pretty fucking threatening.

It's what makes Sterling such a good player and special talent.

People keep banging on about Barkley being fearless and what not. So what, who cares - it's nice to see an endearing but it doesn't change anything really. Yesterday people kept saying Barkley came on and made such a big difference. He did nothing - he ran around and went on a couple of runs but he created nothing. People are just more forgiving of it.

Sterling plays with such composure and quality, he knows his role and creates space and openings, he genuinely improves the team and makes things happen beyond just being young and raw.

Absolutely 100% agreed. This is why I push for the inclusion of Welbeck so much as well. He's fine with sacrificing himself for the team effort, he's an intelligent runner and passer (provided he hasn't already fucked up! Although his close control is dynamite sometimes), he understands tactical roles and, considering how well he's played centrally when we've sat him deeper on someone like he did against Madrid and Bayern, it's an absolute shame he'll be stuck on the wing the entire time.

I'd even advocate playing Sterling in the middle based on his performances this season, far more so than Rooney. He's an incredible talent.

Bumhead

Banned
I really like Barkley, and I'd definitely push for his inclusion against Costa Rica where the impetus will be to win and win well.

Against Italy especially, we're going to have to assume that the ball retention will mostly be in Italy's favour and should line up accordingly. I don't think I'd pick Barkley over Ox/Welbeck/Sterling/Sturridge if it comes down to making the most of it on the counter attack, and (despite it not being the ideal midfield partnership anyway) I'd not pick him over Gerrard and Henderson.

Henderson is crucial I think; really needs to set the pace in midfield whether that's with or without the ball. Press hard and high, let Gerrard focus on distribution.

I think that depends how we approach the Italy game.

They're no great shakes just like we aren't. If you can nip the Pirlo threat in the bud I think we can stand up toe to toe with Italy and not need to rely on a counter attacking game anyway.

I'm not sure if Wellbeck is the man to do it, as was suggested midweek, but I think there's merit in the idea of essentially just getting a younger, fitter player to sit in and harass Pirlo. Barkley will have the sheer running over anyone else on the pitch. I think getting someone like him to tether themselves to Pirlo, never be any further than 5 yards away from him and chase him around the pitch all day, denying him the space to pick us off like he did last time, could work.

Agree regarding Henderson.

Speed on the counter will be key against Italy, we have three defenders than turn slower than Chris and Jill in Resident Evil.

and why would anyone listen to Collymore? He's the cunt that wanted David Moyes to buy Chiellini AND Barzagli in JANUARY

Don't worry De Rossi will save them both. He will drop in between them when we are attacking.

Reus is dead.
Gündogan is fat.
Großkreutz is mad
(for getting snubbed as rb in favor of Boateng...fuck Löw)

All of which makes me sad and turns the German WC ambitions into a fad.

/thank you, I'll be here all week

Blablurn

tumblr_n4m8ryjTnz1qb0wv3o2_250.gif

They probably have the best chance of going through because of how even the group is, but I can see Nigeria getting out of theirs. Don't know much about Bosnia other than Pjanic and Dzeko, but they looked good enough in qualifying.

Colombia will be alright. Jackson, Cuadrado and James are still pretty fucking threatening.

Absolutely 100% agreed. This is why I push for the inclusion of Welbeck so much as well. He's fine with sacrificing himself for the team effort, he's an intelligent runner and passer (provided he hasn't already fucked up! Although his close control is dynamite sometimes), he understands tactical roles and, considering how well he's played centrally when we've sat him deeper on someone like he did against Madrid and Bayern, it's an absolute shame he'll be stuck on the wing the entire time.

I'd even advocate playing Sterling in the middle based on his performances this season, far more so than Rooney. He's an incredible talent.
The problem with Welbeck is that he although he can do the defensive side of things - he just hasn't got what it will take to help the team going forwards. That position becomes key for a shit team like England because it's the out ball and a means of relieving pressure but also building attacks. Welbeck might be able to do it against a couple of the poorer teams but I suspect Italy would eat him alive.

He could have a good game I guess, I think he does have that in him from time to time but it would be a complete chancer. Sterling can do it I reckon. Shame Oxlade got injured him and Sterling wide would have been good.

Agree re Sterling at #10 - much rather build an England team around Sterling there than Ross Barkley. Play your best players where they are best and that might well be where Sterling is most effective. Barkley will either have to get better, fit it elsewhere or get on the bench.

I think that depends how we approach the Italy game.

They're no great shakes just like we aren't. If you can nip the Pirlo threat in the bud I think we can stand up toe to toe with Italy and not need to rely on a counter attacking game anyway.

I'm not sure if Wellbeck is the man to do it, as was suggested midweek, but I think there's merit in the idea of essentially just getting a younger, fitter player to sit in and harass Pirlo. Barkley will have the sheer running over anyone else on the pitch. I think getting someone like him to tether themselves to Pirlo, never be any further than 5 yards away from him and chase him around the pitch all day, denying him the space to pick us off like he did last time, could work.

Agree regarding Henderson.
Barkley doesn't have the tactical discipline to do that. Was really poor doing defensive work all season for Everton - Pirlo will give him the complete run around.

K1LLER7

If we look to play on the counter we definitely need one of Ox or Barkley to play. None of the other players have shown the ability to pick the ball up and drive at the opposition. Welbeck would be a safer option and he can do it, but if Ox is fit, he should start. If not, go with Barkley. He has the ability, he's good enough.

Wilbur

Banned
The problem with all these hypotheticals is they are just that, hypotheticals. Rooney will play centrally in that role despite Lallana, Sterling and Welbeck potentially all being better suited, and we'll be fucked from the beginning.

Bumhead

Banned
It's what makes Sterling such a good player and special talent.

People keep banging on about Barkley being fearless and what not. So what, who cares - it's nice to see and endearing but it doesn't change anything really. Yesterday people kept saying Barkley came on and made such a big difference. He did nothing - he ran around and went on a couple of runs but he created nothing. People are just more forgiving of it.

Sterling plays with such composure and quality, he knows his role and creates space and openings, he genuinely improves the team and makes things happen beyond just being young and raw.

And I'd play both of them.

Not sure why there's a comparison there. For me it wouldn't be a case of one or the other.

Think you're being a bit dismissive of Barkley though. Nobody is calling for Barkley to be in the side on the basis of last night alone. Last night was a joke which should be mostly ignored, as Hodgson is openly doing himself. Barkley is more than just being fearless, quite clearly. He's a rough diamond but a diamond nonetheless.

Get Phil Jones to man mark Pirlo.

Being deadly serious that would be better than asking Barkley or Rooney to do it (we will ask Rooney to do it, or just ignore Pirlo, one or the other).

Being fast and having energy doesn't mean shit if you don't know what you're doing.

And I'd play both of them.

Not sure why there's a comparison there. For me it wouldn't be a case of one or the other.

Think you're being a bit dismissive of Barkley though. Nobody is calling for Barkley to be in the side on the basis of last night alone. Last night was a joke which should be mostly ignored, as Hodgson is openly doing himself. Barkley is more than just being fearless, quite clearly. He's a rough diamond but a diamond nonetheless.
I'm making a comparison between Sterling being on a whole level above Barkley simply because he excels so much on the tactical side of things.

You could play both of them, sure. I just don't think Barkley warrants a place much more than anybody else whereas I think Sterling should be a definite starter and given a key role also.

Zabojnik

Doctor Carcuro who visited Vidal: "The situation is at it's limit, I can't guarantee that he will play in the World Cup".

Aaaaaand another one bites the dust. WC hype deflation at critical levels.

That was just a complete cluster fuck of a tournament. Cannavaro was being made to look a scrub by Fulham in the Europa League and had no right being in that squad, plus the terrible attacking omissions by Lippi. But the main problem was being without two of our most influential players in Pirlo and Buffon. Had they played I am sure we would have progressed.

The main problem was Lippi's gratitude towards the squad that won in 2006. It's a common thing in football / sports / life.

Scum

4-3-2-1, Wilbur. Gerrard, Hendo and Wilshere in the middle, Lallana and Sterling behind Sturridge.

Christmas tree, innit. Call up Cleverley for any of the three in the middle. 😒

K1LLER7

Being deadly serious that would be better than asking Barkley or Rooney to do it (we will ask Rooney to do it, or just ignore Pirlo, one or the other).

Being fast and having energy doesn't mean shit if you don't know what you're doing.
"Pace...aggression...composure..."

Jones can do it. Though Roy may ask Henderson to do it.

4-3-2-1, Wilbur. Gerrard, Hendo and Wilshere in the middle, Lallana and Sterling behind Sturridge.

Christmas tree, innit. Call up Cleverley for any of the three in the middle. ��

Think that's certainly how England would be better off playing. We're just going to out numbered in midfield again like usual.

"Pace...aggression...composure..."

Jones can do it. Though Roy may ask Henderson to do it.

Henderson would be great for the role in the team Scum suggests. But if he's asked to do it with Rooney playing the midfield situation will just get worse. It'll literally be Gerrard against the rest haha.

Wilbur

Banned

Seriously not joking, but Rooney put in some of the most tactically undisciplined performances I've ever seen from a footballer last season. Moyes just gave him fucking carte blanche (Salva -
Cate Blanchett
) to do whatever he wanted. He'll probably be asked to keep an eye on Pirlo, will stick close for twenty minutes and the longer the game goes on and it's still tight, the more he'll come off and look to influence the game with little regard for the actual fucking team.

Doctor Carcuro who visited Vidal: "The situation is at it's limit, I can't guarantee that he will play in the World Cup".

The main problem was Lippi's gratitude towards the squad that won in 2006. It's a common thing in football / sports / life.

VIDAL NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah I'd do the same. Would almost be tempted to replace Gerrard with Lallana and play a really energetic central three, but then you'd lose lots of what makes Stevie's game good I guess.

Sterling and Ox behind Studge m8. That's the dream. Which Wayne will stomp all over.

Scum

The problem with all these hypotheticals is they are just that, hypotheticals. Rooney will play centrally in that role despite Lallana, Sterling and Welbeck potentially all being better suited, and we'll be fucked from the beginning.
You're just a sour puss. Let me have my formations.

K1LLER7

Then Verratti, Motta and De Rossi say high. All actually completed more passes and had a higher pass completion rating than Pirlo last year. Throw in Chiellini too with 68 passes at 91%
You underestimate United's greatest player ever.

In truth, your midfielders will have to mark him :p

Time to cheer on the USA
I think it's quite possible that we end up second in the group or maybe even third. It feels like Löw turned into a complete imbecile, especially with nominating Mustafi instead of Reus. Even if we survive the group then I feel that teams like Belgium, Russia or Switzerland could easily kick us out.
It's a shame because we're in the better bracket (away from Bra, Spa, Ita) and could have a relatively easy path into the semis.

Bumhead

Banned

This would be for me as well, albeit with possibly Barkley over Wilshere. Honestly, I think that's a coin toss decision or the split of a hair. For me Barkley would get the nod.

Wilbur

Banned
I think it's quite possible that we end up second in the group or maybe even third. It feels like Löw turned into a complete imbecile, especially with nominating Mustafi instead of Reus. Even if we survive the group then I feel that teams like Belgium, Russia or Switzerland could easily kick us out.
It's a shame because we're in the better bracket (away from Bra, Spa, Ita) and could have a relatively easy path into the semis.

Yeah; I went for Portugal topping the group and they ended up in the semis, which I don't think reflects their strength really. No Kiessling still continues to be a bit mad.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

good. This guarantees he's staying with Juve.

If you man mark Pirlo, De Rossi will take his place, or better yet, White Pogba.

WHAT NOW ROY?

Have to pick your battles though. We can't nullify every threat. Pirlo is the best player - try to disrupt him and see what joy that brings.

Anyway we're gonna ignore him completely and gas and then everyone will say/it's too hot/winter break/B team league - basically any and every irrelevant reason.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Have to pick your battles though. We can't nullify every threat. Pirlo is the best player - try to disrupt him and see what joy that brings.

Anyway we're gonna ignore him completely and gas and then everyone will say/it's too hot/winter break/B team league - basically any and every irrelevant reason.

haha I remember it was Rooney who was supposed to mark him in 2012, and it backfired badly. I don't think Roy will stick one of his mids on him, so he could go for Welbeck this time?

the Roy works in mysterious ways.

Zabojnik

The main reason why i quit learning Italian when I was younger was so that I wouldn't have to watch Italian tv. Always pained me having to watch it at my Nonna's house.

Should've learned it for Mai Dire Gol alone. A fucking LEGENDARY football comedy show. Untouchable to this very day.

Wilbur

Banned
haha I remember it was Rooney who was supposed to mark him in 2012, and it backfired badly. I don't think Roy will stick one of his mids on him, so he could go for Welbeck this time?

the Roy works in mysterious ways.

He should. He won't. He'll ask Rooney again.

Bumhead

Banned
Rooney either won't be playing (here's hoping) or will be blowing out of his arse after 20 minutes.

If Rooney plays we are screwed whether we play on the counter or try to nullify Pirlo.

We are screwed anyway let's face it. I just hope we go down with a bit if energy and spirit rather than pretending there's so much of a faint hope of tactically outmanoeuvring other teams.

Yen

I think I read recently that Pirlo covered the most ground in the '12 game. Neat.

-
Mayo look brilliant on the ball, but jeez, 9 wides after 25 minutes?

-
Going to start bk 4 of Fables today. Reading Probz of Philosophy right now. It's also neat.

This is a very hitcher post, I should pose a question?

I think I read recently that Pirlo covered the most ground in the '12 game. Neat.

-
Mayo look brilliant on the ball, but jeez, 9 wides after 25 minutes?

-
Going to start bk 4 of Fables today. Reading Probz of Philosophy right now. It's also neat.

This is a very hitcher post, I should pose a question?

Yeah he did. He also had more passes then the entire England midfield.

Marc

If you man mark Pirlo, De Rossi will take his place, or better yet, White Pogba.

WHAT NOW ROY?

I don't get this obsession England media/fan are having with Pirlo, he is a great player but he is also very slow and old.

People saying Barkley can't man mark, well why should he, if he is causing all kinds of problems running off Pirlo/De Rossi then they are too busy man marking him to have as much influence. You would have to say speed is Italy's big weakness, and instead of going for it and letting the chips fall where they may we do our usual thing as a country. Bottling it, getting worried about the opposition, getting scared when if you want to do well at the world cup you need to make the other team worry about you. That doesn't mean we'll win, but at least have a go and stop being so negative.

Really sick today, sick of being sick. :( Its brilliant out, had plans and I have a fever... fml.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom