• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
with Sturridge waiting in the wings, I'd take the money and run w/ Suarez. splurge on some quality midfielders. two striker formations are dead.

Meier

FuturusX is kind of a nightmare. Thank goodness he doesn't post much in here.

Not even kidding, without Suarez don't even think Liverpool would make top 4 next season.

I'm not ready to predict that, but I wouldn't be shocked. They'd buy some new/quality players with the Suarez money, but it'd be like Spurs trying to paper over the Bale cracks. He's a game changer.. you can't necessarily replace what he brings.

Arnie

If it is a release clause then it has nothing to do with us.

Know he's going this summer, though. That much wasn't really in doubt.

Kind of assumed we'd just milk Real, though. This two team fight to activate the clause is strange. Can't they just activate it?

wedward

the frustrating thing about all this is that if we had just bid 50m or maybe a bit more, Liverpool probably would have sold anyways.

I don't think they would have. Selling would have almost guranteed another year outside the top 4. Last season was an incredibly important time for Liverpool.

Suen

Liverpool is dead, what's more funny is that Madrid doesn't need Suarez. Shove the Galactico policy up your ass Perez.

As for Barca, Messictator won't allow the Uruguayan werewolf to shine.

L1NETT

Question then is how they spend it.

For me it's a question of quality over quantity. Don't want to Spurs it and end up with 4 or 5 overpriced unmotivated overrated godawful players

Kind of assumed we'd just milk Real, though. This two team fight to activate the clause is strange. Can't they just activate it?

That's what Arsenal thought...

“Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League which is arguably the top soccer league in the world,” said Henry.

“And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40million - more than 60 million (US) dollars. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year ... they offered £40million and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

“But what we've found over the years is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England - actually not in England, in world football. It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving.

“We sold Fernando Torres for £50million. We didn't want to sell but we were forced to.

“For the first time (with Suarez) we took the position that we weren't selling.

“Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position we're just not selling and it's been great for Luis, it's been great for us, and what will happen at the end of year ... I think we’re going to make Champions League and we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

“We have three gentlemen up front: Suarez, (Raheem) Sterling and (Daniel) Sturridge. Those three are young, and I think Luis and those three could be together for a long time.”

it all seemed so weird.

Scum

Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2 & Bioshock Inifinite was good shit! Need to start Burial at Sea now.

Question then is how they spend it.

For me it's a question of quality over quantity. Don't want to Spurs it and end up with 4 or 5 overpriced unmotivated overrated godawful players

You can have Soldado for £68m + £1.
FFMmr.gif

Arnie

The article's talking about us 'honouring a release clause'.

It's not a case of us honouring anything. If it's in the contract then there's nothing we can do. If it's a case of us having to accept something, then we won't accept that fee. I'm not saying the fee won't be £68 million, it could well be, I'm just saying if it's a case of us having to agree to the deal it will be much higher (or potentially not even possible).

Last season was a good primer, though. Sat there reading his back page plea in the Guardian, it can't get much worse. Happy for him if he gets his big move to Spain, happy for us if we keep him. Ultimately he's been a great footballer at the club and brought us lots of great moments. And fired us back into the Champions League.

I think if Liverpool do that again he'll just go on strike.
He won't.

jtb

Banned

It's not a case of us honouring anything. If it's in the contract then there's nothing we can do. If it's a case of us having to accept something, then we won't accept that fee. I'm not saying the fee won't be £68 million, it could well be, I'm just saying if it's a case of us having to agree to the deal it will be much higher (or potentially not even possible).

Last season was a good primer, though. Sat there reading his back page plea in the Guardian, it can't get much worse. Happy for him if he gets his big move to Spain, happy for us if we keep him. Ultimately he's been a great footballer at the club and brought us lots of great moments. And fired us back into the Champions League.

wasn't last summer's 40m + 1 fiasco also a release clause? the way Henry talks about it, he makes it sound like he just outright ignored the release clause. I don't know what was actually in the contract though.

It's not a case of us honouring anything. If it's in the contract then there's nothing we can do. If it's a case of us having to accept something, then we won't accept that fee.

Wasn't this the exact same thing that happened with that Dnipro winger you wanted? Of course it's all fucking guessing games for us.

Showaddy

If Real had bid a smidgen over £40 million he probably would have gone though, seems like selling to Arsenal was just as big an issue as the price was.

He won't.

No it really is about honouring a clause, as Wooden just posted. Contractually you are obliged to accept those offers. Trouble for the player and the rival clubs is that if you don't then their only recourse is a court action for specific performance. Arsenal couldn't be fucked with this as it's lengthy and uncertain. Look at it like how Bilbao treat their release clauses. It's tough work. The best way to achieve a transfer is for both the club AND player to put the pressure on, hence my strike comment.

jtb

Banned
I don't think they would have. Selling would have almost guranteed another year outside the top 4. Last season was an incredibly important time for Liverpool.

not knowing the kind of season he would have (and right off the back of the biting incident), I think they would have, given enough money and time to find replacements. of course, hindsight is 20/20, etc. with hindsight, even Wenger would be willing to spend 10 or 20m extra if they knew the season Suarez would have I think (and hindsight, no way to Liverpool sell).

Scum

Our transfer budget is about forty quid and a crate from Saltaire Brewery

Billy Sharp is out of our wage range, which says it all

Modern football yo

Not sure about the 40 quid but that crate sounds tempting. Fax the details over.

WJD

Liverpool would be fine without Suarez. I mean, they won't be gunning for the league or anything but with some moderately sensible signings (which Rodgers has proven himself capable of) they'll at least stay at a similar level to last season.

K1LLER7

Are there any top proven strikers that look likely to move this summer?

Can only think of Cavani.

Costa looks set for Chelsea, so wonder what will happen with Lukaku. He needs to br a starter somewhere.

L1NETT

FM sheffield united legend.

After what happened with his son the bloke's a legend in reality too m8

Shame Sheff United signed Ched fucking Evans, shitstain of a club. Not much bad blood with them, but that cunt is gonna get booed all season

--

Enner Valencia c h r i s t.

Full transfer muppetry mode engaged

The Tashabalala of 2014

Not sure about the 40 quid but that crate sounds tempting. Fax the details over.

Fax? You need that tablet ASAP bb

You can order them by phone ahah, fucking first class beer

Recommend the Saltaire Blonde myself, lovely lager ale.

Arnie

wasn't last summer's 40m + 1 fiasco also a release clause? the way Henry talks about it, he makes it sound like he just outright ignored the release clause. I don't know what was actually in the contract though.

No.

Last season's was more of a promise. There are clauses in contracts whereby if a fee is offered then the club is powerless to refuse. Look at the Thiago clause last summer as an example. There was obviously something in the contract, but it wasn't a binding release clause as we traditionally know them (all reliable journalists said this prior to the fiasco heating up).

Now I can't believe Suarez and his representatives would truly have signed the new contract if it didn't have a cast-iron release clause allowing him to leave for 'X' amount of money, regardless of the club's wishes. Yet, here in Duncan Castle's article, it's talking about our position in this like we've got some input.

If we have input then we don't sell for that price. If we don't, and it's a release clause, there's nothing we can do.

The weird thing when he signed it was there was word that the clause differed depending on Champions League qualification. This one could be just as messy as the last one.

Arnie

A reminder that a legally binding contract can be verbal.

Words are wind.

Point that

Also another one with all these sagas is that Liverpool need to sort it either way as soon as his WC is over

This dragging on into even August helps nobody
Don't really agree with that.

Was fine for us last year.

I want what's best for the club; if that means making Suarez train on his own until the football clubs sort out the business then so be it.

Not arsed if he throws a wobbler in a newspaper.

If he is going to one of these two and we can negotiate then I hope we demand players plus cash. Would love a £68 million plus Sanchez or Di Maria.

Listening to the bombcast... They are talking about going to the pig n whistle to watch the world cup.

Is this like a regular thing with football?

Why do you go to the pig n whistle to watch football?

Why is kermits jaw so square?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom