• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make Rafael good

That's not the reason why I thought Rafael was good. I'm just trying to shut down any mention of Premier ass in 2012/13.

Rafael was certainly good in 2012/13. That isn't up for debate. Rafael being shit in 2013/14 doesn't change history.

That's not the reason why I thought Rafael was good. I'm just trying to shut down any mention of Premier ass in 2012/13.

Rafael was certainly good in 2012/13. That isn't up for debate. Rafael being shit in 2013/14 doesn't change history.

I didn't mention Premier Ass.
nt5j5sS.png

and Zabaleta while being terribly overhyped, was also a better right back.

Croyles

Stupid question here but is negro even an insult in Spanish speaking countries? I mean it just quite literally means "black". That is the word they use, i'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same connotation as the "n" word does in say the States or the UK.

I mean, La Bestia Negra is a nickname for Bayern in Spain isn't it?

I didn't mention Premier Ass.
nt5j5sS.png

and Zabaleta while being terribly overhyped, was also a better right back.

I never said you did. That's why I said I wanted to shut down any mention of him as the better rb before anyone thought about it.

I'll never agree with Glen being better than Rafael in 2012/13. He was good that year, but I never thought he was as good as Rafael. Zabaleta's performance certainly deserved the title of best rb in the league and I sad as much at the time. I thought he and Rafael were the best that season.

Yen

Remember when Chelsea and United fought over Mikel, and he cost like £16m, and then turned out to be the Nigerian Spearing.

Stupid question here but is negro even an insult in Spanish speaking countries? I mean it just quite literally means "black". That is the word they use, i'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same connotation as the "n" word does in say the States or the UK.

No it's not, the linguistic experts all agreed on that too. He wasn't banned purely for saying negrito or negro.

Remember when Chelsea and United fought over Mikel, and he cost like £16m, and then turned out to be the Nigerian Spearing.

Worth all the money with that match against Bayern.

pulga

Banned

Depends of how you use it. I've got plenty of friends whose nickname is el negro and they dont mind at all. But if you call someone "negro de mierda" (black piece of shit) then yeah it's definitely got a racist connotation.

I don't think we do. If we can get Rafael to 2012/13 form then I'm happy with him.

That's based on faith and hope though, surely? I don't trust Johnson to suddenly become good enough again, and I don't expect Rafael to either, though he has age on his side.

And Jones sure as fuck ain't good enough in that position

wedward

That's based on faith and and hope though, surely? I don't trust Johnson to suddenly become good enough again, and I don't expect Rafael to either, though he has age on his side.

Rafael is quality.

Needs to cut the nasty side out of his game, but I think he will come get with some consistent playing time.

Johnson is done.

I think this season should be Rafael's do or die season. If he either gets injured or fails to perform, United should look for another rb. Can't rely on him if he keeps getting injured despite his potential. I honestly thought last season was his worst season. He showed a lot of promise for most of the 2011 season, and was injury prone in 2012 that eventually led to the mistakes in the Everton match. Last season he should have done better despite the injuries.

Wilbur

Banned
That's based on faith and hope though, surely? I don't trust Johnson to suddenly become good enough again, and I don't expect Rafael to either, though he has age on his side.

Rafael had a shit season under Moyes, like many others. I'd have more faith in him getting back to an acceptable level when you factor that in as well as his age than Johnson, who couldn't perform in Liverpool's best side in years.

Rafael will get sent off for doing something extremely silly, and Gaal will let him rot with the u19 team until he can sell him.

Also lol at Garay going to Zenit, he does usually look a bit shit when I've seen him, I don't get the hype.

scently

Chelsea took what was our country's most promising attacking minded midfielder since the '94 world cup generation and turned him into the most boring DM ever.

Can we at least agree that Fabio definitely won't ever be good enough for Man Utd? :p

I just wanted him as backup. Injuries have disrupted his development. I thought he did well in 2013 on loan to QPR, but wasn't impressed by his season in Cardiff. Cardiff fans eventually came to like him (from reading their forum), but it was only decent and never good enough to be starting material for United.

I think this season should be Rafael's do or die season. If he either gets injured or fails to perform, United should look for another rb. Can't rely on him if he keeps getting injured despite his potential. I honestly thought last season was his worst season. He showed a lot of promise for most of the 2011 season, and was injury prone in 2012 that eventually led to the mistakes in the Everton match. Last season he should have done better despite the injuries.

Agree.

He's shown alot of promise and had an outstanding season. Still young, still learning. I can imagine LvG falling out with him very easily though.

Chelsea took what was our country's most promising attacking minded midfielder since the '94 world cup generation and turned him into the most boring DM ever.

Scoring goals at a u20 tournament hardly means he would have been an offensive force, if it wasn't for Chelsea destroying the poor mans career, although that narrative seems extremely popular with John Messi Mikel. He was made into a defensive midfielder for a reason.

David Luiz

You lot are banned from whinging about transfers for 2 years.

Just in time for us to sign Suarez for a ridiculous fee after his worldwide ban ends!

He won't get 2 years

I refuse to believe there isn't something going on with that transfer.

It makes no sense.

Well, reliable guy on twitter said the timing of the transfer was key. PSG wanted to register a £40m+~ buy last year for FFP purposes but we're possibly giving them the money back this year FFP year (but still this summer) for Cavani so it counts as a sale on their books. I doubt we would sign Costa and Cavani, would be great but overkill as well. Just whats out there though, PSG told us we couldn't have Lavezzi and we said they couldn't have Hazard... they still want Cech, Ivanovic and Oscar though...!

I think its more likely that Luiz had a lot of time on his contract, PSG wanted a quick deal and we didn't need to sell especially as the player wasn't demanding to leave either so they paid a premium.

AHAHAHAHA

Benfica sold Garay for just 6M€. That´s less than Liverpool paid us for Ilori.

That's because they only get 40% of the transfer. Real Madrid has a 50% sell on clause and an investment firm gets another 10%. Zenit paid 15 million total for Garay. Still a good deal for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom