• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

You could say that literally about any dedicated sports paper on Earth. Papers do get things right sometimes, y'know.

So do mystics, psychics, horoscopes, fortune tellers and the rest. But I don't see anyone here, even the Arsenal fans, busting out the crystal balls just yet.

pulga

Banned
i totally see it

timshaf.jpg

iJKH8akNjwcbC.gif

Mastadon

Banned
The Guardian said:
Liverpool have not suddenly decided to wash their hands of Suárez following the Chiellini incident and the subsequent four-month ban from all football-related activities. It would be surprising, worrying even, if key figures at Anfield have not grown tired of the appalling behaviour of the club’s prized asset but Barcelona’s request for a meeting was not accepted at gunpoint. It is simply business. Not a reaction to a bite.

Suárez’s ban presented Barcelona with opportunity to secure a player who has long dreamed of a move to Spain and spends time in Catalonia with his wife’s family. The opportunity may have arrived earlier than expected but was expected all the same. They have moved swiftly, encouraging the apology and u-turn that Suárez issued for biting Chiellini then commending his strength of character for doing so 24 hours later. And with a straight face. But unless Raul Sanllehi, Barcelona’s director of football management and the man leading transfer negotiations, makes an offer acceptable to FSG, they do not walk away with their prize.

Uruguay coach Óscar Tabárez got it badly wrong in the aftermath of the Italy game when he said Suárez’s actions were not a question of morality.

In terms of the business of football, however, he was right. Barcelona are said to value the Liverpool striker in the £60m region but the damaged-goods argument does not work. The theory that a club cannot keep a disillusioned player does not hold with Suárez either. His reaction to being denied a transfer last summer – 31 Premier League goals, a clean sweep of Player of the Year awards and the leading role in Liverpool’s strongest title challenge for over two decades – would support Ian Ayre’s case should the need arise in the chief executive’s meeting with Sanllehi.

Liverpool accepted Barcelona’s request for talks not only to hear their offer for Suárez but to register interest in Alexis Sánchez. Barcelona are willing to offer the winger as a makeweight in the deal but whether the Chile international can be manoeuvred into a corner remains to be seen. He will not be short of options, including standing his ground and staying at Camp Nou, following an outstanding World Cup campaign. £50m and Sánchez? That would soften the blow at Anfield should Suárez become Barcelona’s brilliant problem.

inky

They'd be mad to sell him. I definitely don't think Suarez would be worth the swap.

Well, on the one hand, I agree with you. he is fantastic and he is worth more than 1/3rd of Suarez.

On the other hand, he's had his best showing yet, so this is the point in which they can get as much for him as they ever will, so if they really need the value now is the time.

Meier

Believe it's the transfer ban that refers to.

Jokes how Barca just give no damns and are going on about it (Suarez) on their twitter though. Just a shitty shitty club.

They're like me in Football Manager. I go HAM on "Declaring Interest" in a player I want. Doesn't always work, but I did it a lot on a Madrid youngster with a 9m buyout and after he refused to sign a few times, I eventually got him. 4.5* potential RB where I desperately needed strengthening.

I am still a few pages behind, but am catching up on the thread. Yedlin really impressed me yesterday -- I was terrified of him dealing with Hazard but he looked great. The Sounders posted this on Twitter.. pretty good.

JpRf4Yp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom