• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Had that lad on ignore for as long as I can remember and whenever I inadvertently see one of his posts it vindicates that decision.

I'd probably agree, although I suppose that's what I'm hoping he cuts out to become a truly top, top striker as Viva was suggesting.

Saying that, he's already a 20 goal a season striker whilst missing the odd chance and with a spotty fitness record.

And do we all remember how many chances Suarez missed during his first 1.5 years at Liverpool? It was fucking mad. All of those 0-0s.

Remember that fucking Reading keeper? Whatever Kenny was feeding our players, it did no favours to their finishing abiity

L1NETT

I think Liverpool should resign Neil Mellor from retirement for that Champions League experience

And Stephen Darby of course, the seasoned European campaigner

That was under Rodgers lol.
But yeah, I've had to go to a lot of therapy so I can forget the 11/12 season.

Was it? I just associate matches in which we fail to take any of 5 clear chances with 11/12 I guess :p

That run between the League Cup final and the end of the season. Nightmare-fuel.

Anyone got that chart which shows our results in that period? Think it was like 4 wins, 9 draws, 8 losses or something

Pennywise

10382177_10154374944800193_4936012456771071744_n.png

Arnie

Another thing Tony Barrett said on the podcast is he'd spoken to a Premier League manager (who he said he wouldn't name) who'd told him that out of all the young talents in German football Can's the one he'd want.

Bumhead

Banned
Just seen Reda Johnson has gone to Coventry.

Absolutely great signing that for Coventry. I was gutted when we released him although apparently it's a decision forced by injury. If he can get himself back to fitness he'll be a class act in League One again. Funny old game, football. This time last year we were worried about bids from Hull for him after they got promoted to the Premiership.

Bit of a cult hero at Hillsborough over the last 3 years or so. Signed him as a centre back and he was woeful. Put him at left back and he was a beast. Quality marauding runs down the left hand side.

Also, 18 goals in 75 games. For a left back. Absolutely ridiculous scoring record.

Another thing Tony Barrett said on the podcast is he'd spoken to a Premier League manager (who he said he wouldn't name) who'd told him that out of all the young talents in German football Can's the one he'd want.

Oh God

It's Allardyce

We've bought a midfield Kevin Davies

BrxpV9jCQAAp9LR.jpg

YIKES? That can't be right?
This is so disheartening to see.

I'm still angry, though, at Scolari's suggestion that Zuniga was out to hurt Neymar. Unlike the Brazilian thugs pounding James all game, I sincerely believe (and not just because of my inherent club bias) Zuniga's knee was not intended maliciously.

hey at least you're spending money :(
At least you're being linked to interesting names. Aside from a couple comments from the agent of the seemingly Madrid-bound James, who do I get to look forward to, Michu?

tQDUUNF.png

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is so disheartening to see.

I'm still angry, though, at Scolari's suggestion that Zuniga was out to hurt Neymar. Unlike the Brazilian thugs pounding James all game, I sincerely believe (and not just because of my inherent club bias) Zuniga's knee was not intended maliciously.

At least you're being linked to interesting names. Aside from a couple comments from the agent of the seemingly Madrid-bound James, who do I get to look forward to, Michu?

Yeah that doesn't sound like something Zuniga would do, blaming him is ridiculous. He CAN be rash sometimes but never with the intent of harming anyone. (it applies to every Colombian I think)

and who are we getting? :( Iturbe and Evra? :(

Whats the story with Sturridge and his fitness? I thought he just picked up one, albeit long term, injury last season? Could happen to anyone?

looool

you know it could happen if we want him

Why would he?

He had the chance to go back to Bayern (for cheap) repeatedly in the last few years, never wanted to. Also said a few times that he'd rather win one title with this BVB team he loves than anywhere else (which basically meant Bayern).

I don't doubt he'll leave at some point but it will be some club in Spain or England, not Bayern.

Arnie

Now you'll win four titles in a row.
We need to do an Atletico.

People thought they'd struggle without Falcao.

The parallels are obvious. Young manager, developing squad, high intensity football, risen from nowhere, lost a world class striker etc etc
Whats the story with Sturridge and his fitness? I thought he just picked up one, albeit long term, injury last season? Could happen to anyone?
There were a couple.

Essentially if he gets a hard kick he's more susceptible to it, and every now and then he'll just get an injury in training or something. It was probably more pronounced because we had Suarez who is fucking superhuman.

I'm genuinely serious when I suggest Suarez didn't miss a single Liverpool match through injury.

Missed fucking 10 for biting, though. And 8 for racial abuse.

Jesus christ.

Scum

Is there any hope of Barça signing Hummels? I just want a works class CB.

I can see Hummels at Dortmund for a damn long time, but yeah, the guy's class and will fit in just fine at Barca. But Messi pls, you need to get rid of Zubi if he doesn't show signs of fixing your defensive frailties.

Linius

We need to do an Atletico.

People thought they'd struggle without Falcao.

The parallels are obvious. Young manager, developing squad, high intensity football, risen from nowhere, lost a world class striker etc etc

It's much more simple. Sell Suarez while he's banned for biting --> win four titles in a row.

Arnie

:lol Bla I'm watching Can's first interview for Liverpool and he's bumming the fuck out of Bayern.

ffs

If he develops he'll just go back to you. I can't keep doing this.

severin

I'd honestly pay £40m for a pair of titanium legs for Sturridge

Reckon our entire season balances on his fitness tbh, unless we sign someone better than Lambert

Shame we won't be seeing Origi from the start today, he looked a pretty accomplished player against USA for a 19 year old, except for his finishing which was dismal tbf

With France going out, I don't think Liverpool have a single representative at the World Cup now :(

edit: Keane was fucking horrible for us. Couldn't even make contact with the fucking ball, let alone miss the target

Mig the Merciless is still there, cursing Courtois.

Think we need to sign a player capable of netting at least 15 to maximum 20 a season if we want to keep our top 4 spot. Mandzukic is a decent shout. I would throw all our money at Lukaku, think he is going to be world class one day. Unfortunately could never see Chelsea selling to one of their rivals.

I believe in Rickie Lambert.

I have to assume that Suarez was injured a few times but played through it like the fucking maniac he is

No way can anyone play at that intensity, getting kicked that often (exacerbated by him acting like a cunt) without picking up a few knocks

L1NETT

Absolutely great signing that for Coventry. I was gutted when we released him although apparently it's a decision forced by injury. If he can get himself back to fitness he'll be a class act in League One again. Funny old game, football. This time last year we were worried about bids from Hull for him after they got promoted to the Premiership.

Bit of a cult hero at Hillsborough over the last 3 years or so. Signed him as a centre back and he was woeful. Put him at left back and he was a beast. Quality marauding runs down the left hand side.

Also, 18 goals in 75 games. For a left back. Absolutely ridiculous scoring record.

Aye, think Cov have had a good transfer window picking up Swanson, O'Brien and those two lads on loan from Bournemouth. Combined with their decent young lads from the academy they have a pretty sharp squad

Wilson is a good Grabban replacement. Really think they might have a squeak at the playoffs Howe's lot.

Good to hear. Apparently we released Blair Adams because he didn't fit into Elvis' plans. I'm guessing this is what he meant. We really need to sign a forward though, we don't have a single forward in the entire squad.

LTWheels

:lol Bla I'm watching Can's first interview for Liverpool and he's bumming the fuck out of Bayern.

ffs

If he develops he'll just go back to you. I can't keep doing this.

On the Tony Barrett podcast, didn't he say that he tried to get a clause in his contract that he can leave Liverpool for the same price that we bought him; but we weren't having any of it.

Pennywise

cause you all know hummels lol

Yeah, I know how badly he thinks of your direction for never giving him a true chance.
And how he thinks about Klopp and Dortmund.

If he really leaves, it's for a club in Spain or the within the Premier League, that won't be so soon though.

I have to assume that Suarez was injured a few times but played through it like the fucking maniac he is

No way can anyone play at that intensity, getting kicked that often (exacerbated by him acting like a cunt) without picking up a few knocks

Probably gets the same stuff Lewandowski takes.

Will be interesting to see if it goes well with Pep's drugs or if there are any side effects.

Yen

On the Tony Barrett podcast, didn't he say that he tried to get a clause in his contract that he can leave Liverpool for the same price that we bought him; but we weren't having any of it.
Christ. Hopefully a few years of CL football will stop players from seeing us as a stepping stone to a bigger club.

Arnie

Muller is my favourite non-Pool player.

I enjoyed every second of that though.
Andy Heaton suggested that.

Barrett didn't chip in with anything though, which makes me think it was a bit of paper bollocks.

But there's no way we would've agreed to such a clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom