• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Why the fuck doesn't he speak English :lol

Proper prick that guy, isn't he?

He might speak a bit but his first interview was in German with subtitles.

Don't know if he's a goon as of yet, but I can see why others would dislike him. He's a good looking young lad which would normally wind me right up.

In fairness to him he did talk about last season and how good our fans were. So it wasn't all "i loved training with Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Gustavo".

Also said we registered our interest four years ago and made a firm move four months ago.

Yeah that doesn't sound like something Zuniga would do, blaming him is ridiculous. He CAN be rash sometimes but never with the intent of harming anyone. (it applies to every Colombian I think)

and who are we getting? :( Iturbe and Evra? :(
The Sanchez and Morata rumors would have me salivating, even if you're not the likeliest team to nab them. And you're snatching up interesting, young prospects like Coman and possibly Rabiot.

At the very least, ADL could splash some cash and push off Pandev for whatever young striker may be gestating at Porto these days before Simeone gets his claws into him. It might not work out for us in the end, but it'd give me something fun to muppet about for the time being.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
we signed this guy from PSG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MIOpW9QTw

Adnan-esque

The Sanchez and Morata rumors would have me salivating, even if you're not the likeliest team to nab them. And you're snatching up interesting, young prospects like Coman and possibly Rabiot.

At the very least, ADL could splash some cash and push off Pandev for whatever young striker may be gestating at Porto these days before Simeone gets his claws into him. It might not work out for us in the end, but it'd give me something fun to muppet about for the time being.

Sanchez? :( I wish! Seems like he's going to Arsenal now. I'm not too sure about Morata, he's a bit expensive and unproven, I would rather we take Berardi back or something. -_-

LTWheels

Andy Heaton suggested that.

Barrett didn't chip in with anything though, which makes me think it was a bit of paper bollocks.

But there's no way we would've agreed to such a clause.

Oh right. I agree that we wouldn't have agreed to that.

They did make a good point when they said that buying players from Germany/Spain/South America they see the final destination of their career the big European giants that they support, not the English clubs. The English clubs are just stepping stones to progress their careers. Apparently Alonso did not expect to be at Liverpool as long as he was. It's only really British and Scandinavian players that see their career goal to play for the big English side, as they are the teams they grew up supporting.

If Coutinho keeps progressing, I expect to see him want to move to a Madrid/Barca in 3-4 years time (if they are interested in him).

Arnie

Seems committed.

In fairness considering none of the club's reputable sources have reported that it doesn't make much sense to take it as gospel.

Secondly he will have known that Bayern were going to take him back the following year so if he really did want to go there he should've just stayed at Leverkusen.

Think it's hot air, really. He joined Liverpool and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop over the next few years. He's absolutely made for the Premier League with his strength and speed.

Also it's weird how he hasn't got a squad number yet. I reckon we want to give him Kolo's 4.

I don't really understand why anyone would be particularly hyped for Morata, especially at the prices touted for him.

He's clearly got a fair bit of ability, but he completely crumbled under the pressure last year in a way that could easily reoccur at any big club. At his age and with last season in mind, he's the ideal third-striker, but the costs touted for him are what you'd expect for a first choice, 15+ league goal striker.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't really understand why anyone would be particularly hyped for Morata, especially at the prices touted for him.

He's clearly got a fair bit of ability, but he completely crumbled under the pressure last year in a way that could easily reoccur at any big club. At his age and with last season in mind, he's the ideal third-striker, but the costs touted for him are what you'd expect for a first choice, 15+ league goal striker.

Exactly, thank you.

and honestly, if he was GOOD ENOUGH, Madrid would never even consider selling him.

He might speak a bit but his first interview was in German with subtitles.

Don't know if he's a goon as of yet, but I can see why others would dislike him. He's a good looking young lad which would normally wind me right up.

In fairness to him he did talk about last season and how good our fans were. So it wasn't all "i loved training with Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Gustavo".

Also said we registered our interest four years ago and made a firm move four months ago.

(I think) you're forced to have at least 5 years of learning English in German schools.

Even Podolski speaks decent English.

Arnie

we signed this guy from PSG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MIOpW9QTw

Adnan-esque

He looks good.

Last thing on Can, he said the Premier League was the best league in the world.

dat EPL, BPL, prem-face

(I think) you're forced to have at least 5 years of learning English in German schools.

Even Podolski speaks decent English.
With a facial structure like his I'd be fuming if he hadn't spent English class fingering the bird next to him, rather than learning how to pronounce 'sausage roll'.

Oh right. I agree that we wouldn't have agreed to that.

They did make a good point when they said that buying players from Germany/Spain/South America they see the final destination of their career the big European giants that they support, not the English clubs. The English clubs are just stepping stones to progress their careers. Apparently Alonso did not expect to be at Liverpool as long as he was. It's only really British and Scandinavian players that see their career goal to play for the big English side, as they are the teams they grew up supporting.

If Coutinho keeps progressing, I expect to see him want to move to a Madrid/Barca in 3-4 years time (if they are interested in him).

One of the people I play football with mentioned something about Coutinho being 'shit' and moving to Roma.

a) What a knob
b) We'd better fucking not sell him. We're entering a phase where we need to be coaching consistency into his game, and he'll become a top player from there. His shooting is a lost cause :p

Would like to see him play as one of the midfield 2 in the cups next year. Was pleasantly surprised by the steel he showed there last year, and it meshed well with his ability to get the ball from the edge of our box to the edge of their's in about 5 seconds

that was a hint for someone to post that gif of him bursting past 3 Arsenal players and playing an inch perfect 40 yard through ball to Henderson

Origi can do so much better

If he wants to play for a suitable team, in a suitable league, where he'll be allowed to go on loan and play every week while he grows, with a manager who makes no choices based on age and experience, I don't think he can do so much better than us

Unless you're talking about his finishing, in which case he really can and should do so much better :p

Probably because he's 21 and scored half as many goals as Benzema in La Liga in only a quarter of that amount of time, with a higher shot accuracy as well.

Exactly, thank you.

and honestly, if he was GOOD ENOUGH, Madrid would never even consider selling him.
Madrid aren't exactly the best at not wasting talent. Just look at how Higuain and Callejon are flourishing in Napoli right now.

Marc

Shame Neymar is out, I really don't like him but didn't deserve to have his home world cup taken away from him like that. Proper shit.

Not sure how Brazil can win it now other than the home crowd, or Hulk learning how to score.

So are Barca getting more midfielders? Putting a lot of their eggs in Rakitic's basket.

That suarez deal is crazy when you think sponsorship deals might be made harder, that he might bite Messi one day and he isn't some up and coming young player. Still, could still see him scoring 50 goals a season or something ridiculous. None against the big teams obviously.

#joinLFC

Arnie

Language classes at my school were awful. I barely know a single mot of French.

Same.

I did five years of French and basically came out with the saying 'no-fromage'.
If he wants to go on loan while he grows, sign for Chelsea and get a loan to Everton.
Then what?

He wants to play at the top end of the Premier League when he's ready.

At Chelsea he'll just be used as a makeweight for the next Genk prodigy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I fucking LOVE Neuer, the TRUE captain of Bayern and Germany

I mean, just LOOK AT THIS

socoolk3kh7.gif

LOOK at that fucking BADASS celebration. It's like he's adjusting his Dracula cape or something.

or this

tumblr_m4aq50EwEA1qzmehvo1_500.gif

CAPITANO

I was decent at German, but forgot it all after about 3 months of dropping it. Guess it's one of those things that you need to really sink into until it becomes ingrained, or it just floats away into the ether

edit: rathaus means Governmental building or something

Stulaw

So West Ham are giving a Medical to Diego Poyet, I haven't seen him play yet, but apparently he's good (Charlton's player of the year). I wonder if we're going to offload a few more players, we signed Danny Whitehead last season, Sam only played him in the 5-0 loss against Forest and apparently doesn't even watch our development squad play, so there's no chance of them coming through, even if they're any good. So I just hope Diego doesn't get shoved into there and forgotten.

Matt Taylor's gone to Burnley, so good luck to him, I think Alou Diarra wants to move but he's played so little football it seems that no-one wants him.

Aaron Cresswell looks like a good signing, although now it looks like Dan Potts signed a one-year contract for no reason, since he'll probably get loaned out again.

West Ham really shouldn't be called "The Academy of Football" under Sam Allardyce.

Arnie

Then he realises his mistake innit

I like him, but the prospect of Liverpool smugly incubating him while he turns into Drogba with (a fit) Baggio's legs fucks me off.

On the contrary I love it when you sign a Belgian.

Probably get a takeaway when Vermaelen's complete.

EmiPrime

Learning languages is easier now than it was when we were in school. With streaming video you can watch TV from other countries and with Skype you have direct access to native speakers (more efficient than pen pals).

Couldn't give a shit about women's tennis. It's just a side show to the main event.

I quite enjoy the way they strain for balance and gender-equality in tennis, in coverage, focus and prize-money.

It's boss because there's always the backdrop that everybody knows, from the fans to the organisers to the pundits to the sponsors to the players themselves that woman's tennis absolutely pales in comparison to the men's, and Serena Williams at her best would get absolutely battered by any pro male.

Salazar

On the contrary I love it when you sign a Belgian.

Probably get a takeaway when Vermaelen's complete.

LvG squished deals for Kroos and Willy C

You'll be wiping that smile off your madras-smeared face. No way our Dutch quality control regime lets in a Wenger orphan.

LTWheels

I quite enjoy the way they strain for balance and gender-equality in tennis, in coverage, focus and prize-money.

It's boss because there's always the backdrop that everybody knows, from the fans to the organisers to the pundits to the sponsors to the players themselves that woman's tennis absolutely pales in comparison to the men's, and Serena Williams at her best would get absolutely battered by any pro male.

Yeah, both sisters lost to a man ranked 203.

http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

It was the 1998 Australian Open and the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, had seen some of the male players practising. On the basis of what they saw, they were convinced that they could beat a man ranked around 200 in the world and wanted to set up a game. At the time I was ranked 203 so the men's tour manager mentioned the possibility of a challenge to me, thinking that I was the perfect candidate. I didn't take much persuading, it seemed like a fun thing to do.

Preparation is crucial. Remember that a game like this is light-hearted - taking it too seriously would be a mistake. My training regime consisted of a leisurely round of golf in the morning followed by a couple of shandies. I turned up on court feeling suitably laid-back.

My first game of the afternoon, just a one-set match, was against Serena. A hint: try and play your match somewhere quiet, where you're not going to be pestered by big crowds or lots of press - we were out on one of the back courts at Melbourne Park, No 17 I think it was. I felt so relaxed that I didn't even warm up properly. We started playing and I raced into a 5-0 lead. At this point Venus turned up to watch. She had just finished a press conference after a quarter-final loss against Lindsey Davenport. In the end I won my game against Serena 6-1 but by the time we were at the net shaking hands, Venus was on court, ready to have a go against me as well. The game against Venus was very similar. I ended up winning 6-2.

Both sisters are great tennis players and hit the ball extremely well. However, if you've been playing on the men's tour there are certain shots you can play that are going to put them in difficulty. Try and put a lot spin on the ball - I was hitting the ball with a degree of spin they don't face week-in, week-out. Another key is to chase down every shot. In our match, they were putting shots into the corners that on the women's tour would be winners but I was able to return them.

Zabojnik

Marry's been on fire in the selling / cashing in department. Immobile out. Peluso out. Vucinic out. Quagliarella out (to Toro). Motta and De Ceglie to follow. Zaza sold to Sassuolo for 7M€ with the buy back option set to 15M€, in case he pulls an Immobile this season.

Now bring me the Iturbes and Rabiots.

Marc

Language classes at my school were awful. I barely know a single mot of French.

Yep, England schools aren't the best.

I did Spanish... picked up "dos cervezas por favor".

Like the Spanish even say please.

Clegg - Have you seen Eugenie's twin sistser? Even better looking.

Slizz

BTW, we've had our own WC soothsayer in here.

Whichever flag Zabo puts on his Zebra gets eliminated. Italy, Chile, Colombia and now Brazil.

Blablurn

Jop. Neuer definitely deserves more love. His great saves are often overshadowed by the result. Even if we win 4:0, he still goes all out with his skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom